• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

zroid

Banned
You'll have so many items that do the same thing as Posumudi anyway.
yep only restoratory skill I let Tsubasa keep is mediarahan. everything else is better to use items imo. maybe even that but eh.

oh wait I forgot, also use the one which restores ailments on all party members, Amrita I believe? I don't even think there's an item which does that

Renewed

Isn't Amrita Soda a thing? The game does well at making your healing skills trivial when you can just chug drinks and food.

Isn't Amrita Soda a thing? The game does well at making your healing skills trivial when you can just chug drinks and food.
I am not sure but it might just be a knock off name of a real product. I cannot remember the name in Tokyo Mirage Sessions but there is a brand of canned coffee that pretty much knocks off Boss Coffee in terms of the logo and color usage.

explodet

I am not sure but it might just be a knock off name of a real product. I cannot remember the name in Tokyo Mirage Sessions but there is a brand of canned coffee that pretty much knocks off Boss Coffee in terms of the logo and color usage.
nmXsNA6.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think that only heals one party member's ailments, unless I'm mistaken

Correct. Skills like Amrita or Prayer work for the entire party. There's also skills like Dekunda that apply to the whole party, but that only works on debuffs (e.g. defense down) and not status effects (e.g. charm).

Until you get those skills though, Amrita Sodas should be what you mainly use. And even if you get the skill, the party member who has it may not be in your active party in a given fight.

zroid

Banned
Finally got the ability to change classes. Any recommendations on who to class change first? Decisions, decisions.
here's one piece of advice: promote your party members to the class you like less first. then down the road when you want to switch to the other class to unlock its weapons, you don't have to change back again, which requires another Master Seal

also what Shirke said

SobI beat the gane last night. I enjoyed the mechanics and some of thr story, but hated how boring and well liked (in game) Itasuki was.

MoonFrog

Finally got the ability to change classes. Any recommendations on who to class change first? Decisions, decisions.

Things to consider:

-Stat bonuses

-Advanced classes give you access to the EX/EL session skills, 3 per each advanced class you get.

-Give you access to a new special skill, one per character and not dependent on which class you choose.

-Give you access to 'occult' skills like Aether, Sol, Luna, True Casting, etc. for certain advanced classes.

-Give you access to certain offensive abilities. I'm drawing a blank, but I think things like Mabufudyne and Maragidyne might be locked behind Sorceress and Mazandyne and Naga behind Sage, for example. At least Naga is so locked. With Itsuki, Great Lord has the Diarahan while Conqueror has Martyr Expertise.

-Give you access to Fog Breath, War Cry, and Debilitate debuffs. Think only DK has Debillitate and War Cry, but Assassin and Wyvern have access to Fog Breath.

I personally really like Kiria's coverage + true casting, so I always did her early on. Getting advanced debuffs was also very nice, so I'd suggest doing Ellie or Touma early.

Itsuki as suggested above is also good to do.

In general, you get them pretty fast especially if you are up to date on sidequests.

EDIT:

While I'm saying this, where was Astra?! Really no excuse for giving him Sol instead. Navarre is the incubating archetype of the Swordmaster, not the Hero.

here's one piece of advice: promote your party members to the class you like less first. then down the road when you want to switch to the other class to unlock its weapons, you don't have to change back again, which requires another Master Seal

also what Shirke said

Whyyyyyyyyyyy didn't I think of that earlier? I'm four master seals deep now, oops.

Damn, this is all great advice. Thanks much. I'll have a proper look at the classes and go from there then. Definitely seems like Itsuki first is the rigbt choice though. Somehow I had no idea this was a thing before yesterday.

Balancing my time between this and DQ7 will be hard :(

totowhoa

Banned
Bought this on launch day and finally beat it on hard. I kind of want to see the secret boss but not sure that I want to go through the grind of Lunatic or if I want to deal with the snooze on hard with levels carried over.

I really enjoyed the game but I think the nail in the coffin on a second play through is no way to skip sessions. The second half of the game dragged a but between that and realizing the side quests would never really be that interesting.

All in all really loved the game though. It was a lot better than I expected. Loved some of the ideas from SMT IV here, and it did a few things I hope P5 does. Haven't checked out import impressions yet though.

Now I'm just kinda pumped for SMT IV:A honestly

Mediking

Bought this on launch day and finally beat it on hard. I kind of want to see the secret boss but not sure that I want to go through the grind of Lunatic or if I want to deal with the snooze on hard with levels carried over.

I really enjoyed the game but I think the nail in the coffin on a second play through is no way to skip sessions. The second half of the game dragged a but between that and realizing the side quests would never really be that interesting.

All in all really loved the game though. It was a lot better than I expected. Loved some of the ideas from SMT IV here, and it did a few things I hope P5 does. Haven't checked out import impressions yet though.

Now I'm just kinda pumped for SMT IV:A honestly

TMS 2 has alotta potential. Needs to learn from fan feedback and work on giving the player more fun things to do.

Okay so I've finished Chapter 4, but I feel under leveled. Itsuki is my only character to hit Level 40 - the rest of the cast is ranging between 36-39, and after losing the Excellus about 10 times, the only reason I won was because I poisoned Yashiro, got Excellus to use Retake a few times and then kept using Magic Mirrors when the dyne spell spamming begun.

Is there anywhere I should be grinding, or are those levels about right for the stage of the game I'm at?

Also - Really enjoying the game and if anything, it's driving my hype for Persona 5 into overdrive. Main criticism is that the bosses can sometimes feel a bit cheap, and I hate that you can skip the dialogues before having your rematch. Makes for an overall slightly frustrating time.

zroid

Banned
Also - Really enjoying the game and if anything, it's driving my hype for Persona 5 into overdrive. Main criticism is that the bosses can sometimes feel a bit cheap, and I hate that you can skip the dialogues before having your rematch. Makes for an overall slightly frustrating time.

you know you can fast forward the dialogue right? it's not quite the same as skipping but only takes a few seconds anyways.

Vena

Not sure how similar they are, though, at least as far as combat is concerned. They're made by two completely different teams as well, so its probably a bit erroneous to really even compare them beyond the surface level similarities in the magic and attack names (and obvious SMT-mechanical overlaps).

The whole of the session & perfomances mechanics will be non-existent and that's really what makes the systems of #FE work.

random25

Okay so I've finished Chapter 4, but I feel under leveled. Itsuki is my only character to hit Level 40 - the rest of the cast is ranging between 36-39, and after losing the Excellus about 10 times, the only reason I won was because I poisoned Yashiro, got Excellus to use Retake a few times and then kept using Magic Mirrors when the dyne spell spamming begun.

Is there anywhere I should be grinding, or are those levels about right for the stage of the game I'm at?

You can try the arena. It's pretty easy to grind there and you can make your other party members catch up in level. 4 levels lower is not that far away though.

I'm not sure if you are under leveled at that point but the barometer is always the regular enemy encounters on the next stage.

We'll probably never get the sequel we deserve. This is my game of the year so far. I don't think anything else will surpass it except maybe the last guardian.

This game is so polished, any chance to this become a regular franchise on Nintendo systems?
I really hope so. I would love a sequel to this that occurs several years later where we have a new set of characters with some of the old characters as mentors, especially Mamori and having Itsuki be an older agent running Fortuna. Also having more Mirage representation from the other Fire Emblems other than Shadow Dragon and Awakening would be great.

Lunar15

This sold extremely poor in japan. The chance of a sequel is slim.

That said, I hope this doesn't close the window on Nintendo doing other collaborations with Atlus.

DooMAGE

This sold extremely poor in japan. The chance of a sequel is slim.

That said, I hope this doesn't close the window on Nintendo doing other collaborations with Atlus.

This game smells J Culture, how this sells poorly on Japan? I blame the WiiU install base numbers. If this game was on the 3DS would sell better.

Mediking

This game smells J Culture, how this sells poorly on Japan? I blame the WiiU install base numbers. If this game was on the 3DS would sell better.

Don't blame the Wii U when it does have nice sales for games. The problem was that alotta people stubbornly didn't think there was enough Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem in the game so they REFUSED to support it. It's maddening as hell but that's what happened.

Don't blame the Wii U when it does have nice sales for games. The problem was that alotta people stubbornly didn't think there was enough Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem in the game so they REFUSED to support it. It's maddening as hell but that's what happened.

Expectations didn't line up with the reality of the final product.

It's a shame they felt any need at all to connect it to those other series names because it stands on its own as a great game. I guess they figured the lack of brand recognition would sink it, but it seems that backfired.

Mediking

Expectations didn't line up with the reality of the final product.

It's a shame they felt any need at all to connect it to those other series names because it stands on its own as a great game. I guess they figured the lack of brand recognition would sink it, but it seems that backfired.

True... but at the same time I honestly do think TMS is a great tribute to Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem. It's not insulting to the series at all. You got Shin Megami Tensei gameplay and Fire Emblem characters and other stuff. It wasn't a shame to the series at all. Many people were expecting like Lucina and Chrom to be riding on a motorcycle in a destroyed Tokyo city or something with Flynn riding a horse and when they didn't see that... they got upset and refused to support the game at all.

Draxal

Honestly, it sold bad for a Wii U game. I wouldn't blame it entirely on the console this time.

I do, there's no JRPG audience on the console, while Xenoblade X sold more than this game, it also still completely under-performed.

It is such a horrible console/audience mismatch.

True... but at the same time I honestly do think TMS is a great tribute to Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem. It's not insulting to the series at all. You got Shin Megami Tensei gameplay and Fire Emblem characters and other stuff. It wasn't a shame to the series at all. Many people were expecting like Luna and Chrom to be riding on a motorcycle in a destroyed Tokyo city or something with Flynn riding a horse and when they didn't see that... they got upset and refused to support the game at all.

I don't mean that it was bad they were included. As you said, it felt like a fun tribute. What I mean is simply that it brought with it expectations like those you point out, when realistically, they could have chosen different characters and avoided the whole expectation setting issue. But then again, maybe everyone would have ignored the game if it didn't have those connections in its initial reveal. Hard to say.

random25

I do, there's no JRPG audience on the console, while Xenoblade X sold more than this game, it also still completely under-performed.

Nintendo home consoles never had that big of an RPG player base since SNES. Most likely because Square jumped ship after that, carrying that player base to other platforms.

Mediking

Oh, there's a JRPG audience on Nintendo. They just got the strictest of tastes. But throwing in a Link costume would help alot. And that's not me throwing shots. I really do think Nintendo costumes in 3rd party games help out. Heck, throw in Amiibo outfits too.

Soul Lab

In a few years, it will be seen as one of the hidden gems on WiiU.
I'm glad they chose this setting, it makes the game special. Screw the sale numbers. Sure, better numbers would be cool. But I'm just happy I had the chance to play this. Played it 3 times. Got all the game records. 100% savegame. Probably the first RPG I went for 100%. This is crazy.

Wondeful 101 is exactly the same case for me. Couldn't do the 100% though xD

you know you can fast forward the dialogue right? it's not quite the same as skipping but only takes a few seconds anyways.

By pressing X right? Been doing that and yeah, it's not ideal but if that's the only workaround then so be it. Luckily I haven't died so many times to bosses that it becomes unbearable...yet!

Not sure how similar they are, though, at least as far as combat is concerned. They're made by two completely different teams as well, so its probably a bit erroneous to really even compare them beyond the surface level similarities in the magic and attack names (and obvious SMT-mechanical overlaps).

The whole of the session & perfomances mechanics will be non-existent and that's really what makes the systems of #FE work.

Yeah it's more just whetting my appetite for another SMT console game is all. It definitely feels like the team did another take on a Persona game with this, rather than an SMT proper. Especially stylistically.

You can try the arena. It's pretty easy to grind there and you can make your other party members catch up in level. 4 levels lower is not that far away though.

I'm not sure if you are under leveled at that point but the barometer is always the regular enemy encounters on the next stage.

May be a dumb question, but how do I access the arena?

Lunar15

In a few years, it will be seen as one of the hidden gems on WiiU.
I'm glad they chose this setting, it makes the game special. Screw the sale numbers. Sure, better numbers would be cool. But I'm just happy I had the chance to play this. Played it 3 times. Got all the game records. 100% savegame. Probably the first RPG I went for 100%. This is crazy.

Wondeful 101 is exactly the same case for me. Couldn't do the 100% though xD

I mean, there's a 70% - 80% chance it will win every single Wii U GOTY award.

By pressing X right? Been doing that and yeah, it's not ideal but if that's the only workaround then so be it. Luckily I haven't died so many times to bosses that it becomes unbearable...yet!

Keep in mind that you can actually hold X. This will speed through everything even faster. It will only stop skipping to do animations or ask for you to respond to something. Better than just pressing X and definitely makes what could otherwise be super irritating, bearable.

May be a dumb question, but how do I access the arena?

End of the Harajuku street.

Keep in mind that you can actually hold X. This will speed through everything even faster. It will only stop skipping to do animations or ask for you to respond to something. Better than just pressing X and definitely makes what could otherwise be super irritating, bearable.

End of the Harajuku street.

Damn and damn.

Cheers fam.

Vena

If anything saves #FE it will be its the extended media sales (and the rather darling status it has achieved amongst a subset of fans of the genre). Shun would know more on this but I do recall there being some positives on that end and that the music sold quite well. Sales in the west also weren't a complete garbage fire like in Japan (actually fairly comparable to most other western JRPG console releases, regardless of platform, but that says more about the audience in general), so that may also help it. But its not even within spitting distance of XCX's western sales so it wasn't just "a lack of audience" but the product as a whole was a hard sell.

But, end of the day, unless its a huge franchise or established one (or one that's backed heavily by Nintendo and comes out during the shopping season of the holidays: see XCX), jRPGs struggle to sell *at all* on consoles nowadays, period. 3DS/Vita are the genre's current saving grace.

Top Bottom