• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Manning is the man but so is Tom Brady. I enjoy watching both of them get down with the get down. While Aaron Rodgers is prolly the best pound for pound QB today, he's not nearly as great as either one of them (yet?).

What gets me about Brady is the weapons. I mean Manning has got Demaryius (beast), Julius (beast), Wes (beast...when he isn't getting FUCKED up...poor guy), and Sanders (little beast). The only weapon Brady has that's superior at the position is Gronk who just got healthy. Otherwise we're talking about Edelman (who, before last year I had never heard of), LaFell, and Amendola?

Vereen ain't too shabby but Brady even lost his main runner. This is just good QB stuff we're seeing.

K-Gun

Gronk, period.

Dude is filthy, changes the entire gameplan. Simply unguardable when healthy. What JJ Watt is to D, Gronk is to O. Just hope for your own good that he doesn't completely wreck the game. Unreal run blocker too.

Big-E

You guys will never let this shit go huh.

No one ever will as it is the only excuse that people can come up with to tarnish the greatest of all time. People forget that the practice of videotaping was done by not just a single team and that the practices were open. People also forget the sheer destruction of that perfect regular season where a team that plays in a cold climate outdoors was able to dismantle pretty much every single season offensive team record. People also forget that he came back from a very nasty injury which is no small feat in of itself.

vikki

Tom Brady is married to a supermodel who makes more money than him. He's always doing better than ever.

Didn't Bill Cowher give the Pats a pass on that whole spyware business? I think a former Steelers head coach giving the Pats a pass on videotaping then maybe it's not that big a deal. And maybe it speaks more to some people's desire not to accept that a team was pretty good.

edit: my statement in no way justifies the cheating. Just saying that maybe the people who constantly bring it up need the cheating to justify their hatred of a good team.

NateDrake

Manning is the man but so is Tom Brady. I enjoy watching both of them get down with the get down. While Aaron Rodgers is prolly the best pound for pound QB today, he's not nearly as great as either one of them (yet?).

What gets me about Brady is the weapons. I mean Manning has got Demaryius (beast), Julius (beast), Wes (beast...when he isn't getting FUCKED up...poor guy), and Sanders (little beast). The only weapon Brady has that's superior at the position is Gronk who just got healthy. Otherwise we're talking about Edelman (who, before last year I had never heard of), LaFell, and Amendola?

Vereen ain't too shabby but Brady even lost his main runner. This is just good QB stuff we're seeing.
Amendola is an established and known player. His signing was big at the time. Who knew he would turn out to be a complete waste of money.

Striker

Sanders a beast? Lol

We'll see how good Julius Thomas is once he leaves Denver and Manning.

ampere

Game tonight was great. Was expecting a tight game but our defense has been unbelievable... combine that with the offensive surge and it's just awesome.

Brady is doing great lately because Gronk is healthy and LaFell, Edelman, and Amendola are really stepping up. Also he's Brady and never stops being competitive. And our defense makes it easy. Browner needs to watch it on the penalties, but I know that's his style of play, he's rough.

Not to mention Bill's ability to make adjustments when necessary.

Spinluck

People are still acting like Edleman isn't good? Put him with any good QB and he'd make plays. Amendola isn't a scrub either (one of these dudes returned a punt)... Gronk speaks for himself since he is what makes offense gel together.

Peyton has more raw talent around him, but the no name stuff is played out and exaggerated. There are days when Manning is throwing absolute dimes and just throwing guys open. Today was mostly a duck day for him, but both of these dudes name everyone around them better. Manning make Blair White look like he had a future in the NFL after the Colts lol.

People are still acting like Edleman isn't good? Put him with any good QB and he'd make plays. Amendola isn't a scrub either (one of these dudes returned a punt)... Gronk speaks for himself since he is what makes offense gel together.

Peyton has more raw talent around him, but the no name stuff is played out and exaggerated. There are days when Manning is throwing absolute dimes and just throwing guys open. Today was mostly a duck day for him, but both of these dudes name everyone around them better. Manning make Blair White look like he had a future in the NFL after the Colts lol.

Yea but neither is Eldeman and Amendola consistently reliable. Injured all the god damn time.

vikki

I agree with this. I like the role Amendola is playing now. Edelman has always been decent, but the role he plays was filled by Welker. He had tough competition. Lafell is doing well. Gronk is healthy. Patriots don't really have a receiver like Demarius. Sanders has been great for the Broncos. Could be a combination of his talent and the other threats on the field. I think the Patriots running backs are better than the Broncis. Vereen is great and I think Gray has done well stepping in. I was hoping Gray would get a lot of touches this season after watching him in the preseason. Ridley may be a little better runner than Gray, but he is such a liability with the fumbles.

Manning is working with an incredible recieving core, but that's not to say the Patriots receivers are bad.

Yea but neither is Eldeman and Amendola consistently reliable. Injured all the god damn time.

That's why I like Amendola in his role now. He can be a returner and fill in and make plays. There is little pressure there because the offense doesn't need to lean on him.

pa22word

I love how average fans don't know every team in the NFL was doing this at the time.

Yup. Ever wonder why it's only the fans who bitch about "Spygate", or why NE got hit as softly as they did?

It was because the point of it was to make a statement by slamming the league's most successful team at the time, sending the message to everyone else that if NE can't get away with it, no one can get away with it. It was a warning call from the league to stop it from happening, and that's why as a "controversy" it was forgotten by everyone but butthurt fanboys looking to get a reason to pile on the patriots. It's as silly and stupid then as it was now, only now people just look stupid when they bring it up instead of just ignorant.

Striker

I would say they are on par with Sanders. Remember Peyton throwing to Anthony Gonzalez and Brandon Stokely and making them look efficient. Jacob Tamme still has a career because of him.

Surgical is now an adjective for quarterbacks?

For years now.

And to answer OP's question...

1) The O-line are more comfortable playing with each other now. Beginning of the season, Brady was getting his ass beat and running for his life. Now he has time to throw and survey the field.

2) Gronk is feeling like Gronk again. After all those injuries, he's finally starting to trust his body again. No more bracing for the big hit to prevent injuries that might happen. Now he's initiating the big hit, and expecting to get smacked but comfortable in the fact that he's one if the biggest roughest guys on the field (next to linemen) and any d back is just gonna bounce off. And linebackers are gonna get out run or run over. When Gronk is right, he's an incredible weapon for Brady.

3) "Receivers" are playing better because Brady actually has time to get them the ball, and they're more comfortable with the opening up the play book at uptempo speed. Supposedly the play book was scaled back since last year due to injuries, departures, and all the new guys and young talent that Brady's had to throw to. Pats run a complex offense, but some guys just weren't getting it. Now that the Pats offense is more comfortable with executing more advanced plays at faster pace, defenses are having a hard time anticipating and keeping up.

With Gronk finally getting more playtime and reestablishing himself as a dire threat, defenses can't continue to focus on just locking down Edelman, the only one Brady has really felt comfortable throwing to last season into this year. So now Edelman is coming open more, the Pats finally have another receiver that can pick up yards after the catch in LaFell, Catching RB Vereen is featured more since Ridley's injury, and Pats' trade of Brady's best protecter on the o-line pissed him off at first but also gave him a big target in Wright, and the return of the two tight end set when they want.

4) Playing angry with a chip on his shoulder. The whole team is really, but some fans were calling for Brady to be traded on sport talk shows, and analysts were putting out there that he was washed up. That season the pats nearly went undefeated, Pats were pissed off and crushing teams. It took a miracle play in the SB to stop them.

Tldr

Brady is pissed off, better protected, and throwing to receivers that understand the offense better, among them is a healthy Gronk.

They are all better than Brady at this point.

Specifically, the issue is 3 things:

1. Brady's deep ball is now awful
2. he gets gun shy if you get pressure on him
3. he's immobile

1. Brady never had a great deep ball. Neither did Montana, probably my favorite. Lots of his yards were yards after the catch. I do wonder if you've been watching the games though. Brady's be going downfield more and nailing it. I'm sure you must have seen the Sportscenter highlights.
2. You've just described every quarterback in the league.
3. Guess you haven't been watching the games lately or heard the interview in which Brady himself admitted that he wants to become a more mobile quarterback. He's always been good at shifting in the pocket, but you now see him scramble more to buy his receivers time. This has even been discussed during the broadcasts of the last few games. Apparently you missed it?

You don't have to like Brady. I'd say most can't stand him. You have to give the guy his due though.

AlexMogil

Amendola is an established and known player. His signing was big at the time. Who knew he would turn out to be a complete waste of money.

Rams fans did. The guy was self destructive. I missed him when he left but not for who he was, but for what he could have been. He's reckless.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The 'no rings since spygate' thing makes no sense when you consider the year right after Belichik ran up the score on every team just to prove he could and the Pats went 18-1

Halcyon

The 'no rings since spygate' thing makes no sense when you consider the year right after Belichik ran up the score on every team just to prove he could and the Pats went 18-1

It's trying to say "look you can't win without cheating" while at the same time completely ignoring the constant barrage of winning and afc championships and going to the superbowl. The pats are so good that the only comeback is "well you didn't win the superbowl in awhile" as if whatever team they root for has won 7 straight.

Cagey

Banned
There wasn't a spycam in the world that was keeping Justin Tuck from devouring the souls of Mankins and Light in 2007, so I don't care much for spygate.

Ah, my old avatar!

He's been playing well recently but he's definitely declined. If this team beats Denver in the playoffs I will be surprised

Game will be played in the cold. Broncos are fucked.

It's trying to say "look you can't win without cheating" while at the same time completely ignoring the constant barrage of winning and afc championships and going to the superbowl. The pats are so good that the only comeback is "well you didn't win the superbowl in awhile" as if whatever team they root for has won 7 straight.

The whole point of the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. Not to win a bunch of games then flame out when it matters, which the Patriots have done consistently since getting busted for cheating.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This will be a fun thread to revisit when the Pats choke in the playoffs again. To be fair, they are regular season queens. You can't take that away from them.

Halcyon

The whole point of the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. Not to win a bunch of games then flame out when it matters, which the Patriots have done consistently since getting busted for cheating.

You're saying that as if there's some other example of a team winning superbowls and then still being dominant even when they don't win.

The steelers and the giants are the two teams with multiple superbowl wins. You're saying the steelers and the giants as organizations have been better more consistent teams than the patriots since 2006?

Flaming out when it matters can be applied to any of what are considered the greatest players in the league. Joe Montana played for 13 seasons and won 4 superbowls. Was he garbage the other 9 years. This is a stupid argument.

"Droppable in all leagues"

So glad I kept him. These analyst need to relax sometimes.

Yup. I gave him one more game to prove that I shouldn't drop him. The dude has delivered in spades since then.

Which is great, because Wilson has been playing so mediocre and I couldn't imagine starting him right now.

This will be a fun thread to revisit when the Pats choke in the playoffs again. To be fair, they are regular season queens. You can't take that away from them.

It was crazy seeing that halftime celebration yesterday where they were recognizing the 10-year anniversary of their last Superbowl victory. How have they now gone 10 years without a SB win? It boggles my mind that it's been so long.

You're saying that as if there's some other example of a team winning superbowls and then still being dominant even when they don't win.

The steelers and the giants are the two teams with multiple superbowl wins. You're saying the steelers and the giants as organizations have been better more consistent teams than the patriots since 2006?

Each of those teams has won at least 1 Super Bowl since then so...yes.

As I said, the point of the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. Not to get to the AFC Championship game. Not to win 12 regular seasons games. Those two things aid teams to their ultimate goal - winning the Super Bowl.

Look at it this way - why is Brady considered the better QB between Brady and Manning? Hardware. Trophies. Winning when it matters. Pats haven't been able to do it in almost a decade.

But hey, if Pats fans are content being the bridesmaids year in and out then more power to them.

andthebeatgoeson

Each of those teams has won at least 1 Super Bowl since then so...yes.

As I said, the point of the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. Not to get to the AFC Championship game. Not to win 12 regular seasons games. Those two things aid teams to their ultimate goal - winning the Super Bowl.

Look at it this way - why is Brady considered the better QB between Brady and Manning? Hardware. Trophies. Winning when it matters. Pats haven't been able to do it in almost a decade.

But hey, if Pats fans are content being the bridesmaids year in and out then more power to them.
Content with calling Manning a regular season king... while they do it too, now.

Respect

Just not as clutch as Eli

As a pats fan, no 2 words scare me more than Eli Manning.

The pats and Brady have looked good and yesterdays win was great going into a bye, but I think the AFC championship game will still end up going through Denver. As good as NE has been the past 5 weeks, they can only realistically lose one maybe two more games and still maintain home field throughout the playoffs. Their schedule is brutal the rest of the way. Miami, Indy, GB, Detroit, SD, Buffalo and the Jets still on to go. Only the jets have a losing record to this point and they always give NE fits no matter their record. I don't see the Broncos losing more than 2 games at this point, and it honestly wouldn't shock me if they ran the table.

FTF

Well, when you're the best QB of all time you can kind of do things like that.

edit; joke post, I just wanted the 1st response to be controversial and I got beat out.

I see nothing controversial about your post.

When all is said and done, one could argue GOAT and have solid ground to stand on.

Halcyon

The pats and Brady have looked good and yesterdays win was great going into a bye, but I think the AFC championship game will still end up going through Denver. As good as NE has been the past 5 weeks, they can only realistically lose one maybe two more games and still maintain home field throughout the playoffs. Their schedule is brutal the rest of the way. Miami, Indy, GB, Detroit, SD, Buffalo and the Jets still on to go. Only the jets have a losing record to this point and they always give NE fits no matter their record. I don't see the Broncos losing more than 2 games at this point, and it honestly wouldn't shock me if they ran the table.

xiFfUnQ.gif

Rodgers is better than Brady and Manning. Give Rodgers the Broncos and they go undefeated and wouldn't choke in the superbowl.

gtfo.

If you're building a team today of course you'd take Rodgers.. He's got 7 - 9 years on Brady and Manning, but career wise, Rodgers doesn't compare to either. In 8 or so years, we'll see. Career numbers, Rodgers will also be held back by the Packers/Favre not letting him play for 3 seasons.

And, yeah, any elite QB would play well with the weapons that Manning has had the last 2, 3 seasons, but it's hard to play better than Manning has in the last 2 years. Plus, it's not like Rodgers has junk around him. Jennings in his prime, Decker in his prime, Jordy Nelson in his prime, Randall Cobb in his prime, Finley before he got hurt, and at least the last two years, a top-10 running back. Rodgers certainly makes those players better, but they're all all-star caliber players.

Patriots lost those Super Bowls because of the Giants D, and -- of course -- Eli being clutch, but Giants D were perfect matchups against the Patriots in those two games.

I'm with you, Denver could very easily win out. They've already played the toughest part of their schedule, and their only difficult games here on out are against teams that New England also has to play, while New England had an easier part of their schedule to begin the season and is now in the tough stretch. The Patriots will likely drop 2 games between now and the end of the season, and I doubt that Denver will drop 2.

Patriots next four games:

@ Colts
Lions
@ Packers
@ Chargers

If they go .500 over that stretch then you've gotta be happy with that.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
O-line decided to start actually protecting + healthy Gronk.

this was a team that needed guys to grow up into positions.. that happened.

A QB can't do a damn thing with a shit O-Line.. he had a shit O-Line to start the season.

Steelers Giants writing is on the wall.

Dunno if I buy another Giants run but I definitely think the Steelers will make it. That's a nightmare scenario for Denver. Manning is great, no one denies that. But it's a fact that he struggles in the playoffs, and also struggles in bad (or semi bad) weather. I almost muted the game yesterday due to the announcers trying to argue that weather isn't a factor for Manning. The guy is amazing but let's be real.

Packers probably have the best shot in the NFC.

BigDug13

I always laugh when people point to the "no superbowl rings since getting caught in spygate" like they suck now because they're not cheating.

They've been to the playoffs (deep into the playoffs) nearly every year since getting caught, have had an undefeated season headed into the superbowl and have a second superbowl appearance since that time and are yet again leading the AFC...for now.

I'm no fan of the Pats, but to say the only reason they were good was the spygate stuff is ridiculous.

I also laugh at the hyperbole that was happening when the team was 0-2. Press asking Belichick if he's thinking about going with the backup QB, talks about Brady trades, fans thinking the dynasty is over, as if the team hasn't been in the playoffs consistently nearly every year with Brady at QB and hasn't made 2 superbowl appearances in recent history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom