• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I always laugh when people point to the "no superbowl rings since getting caught in spygate" like they suck now because they're not cheating.

They've been to the playoffs (deep into the playoffs) nearly every year since getting caught, have had an undefeated season headed into the superbowl and have a second superbowl appearance since that time and are yet again leading the AFC...for now.

I'm no fan of the Pats, but to say the only reason they were good was the spygate stuff is ridiculous.

How many Super Bowls since they got caught cheating?

Draft

Brady/Belichick are winners. Even when NE looks like garbage they mostly lose by a touchdown to bad teams, then scrape out heroic last minute wins against good teams. Can never be counted out. I hate them. True salt. Fuck them both.

EBTH4xQ.jpg

Spinluck

I always laugh when people point to the "no superbowl rings since getting caught in spygate" like they suck now because they're not cheating.

They've been to the playoffs (deep into the playoffs) nearly every year since getting caught, have had an undefeated season headed into the superbowl and have a second superbowl appearance since that time and are yet again leading the AFC...for now.

I'm no fan of the Pats, but to say the only reason they were good was the spygate stuff is ridiculous.

I also laugh at the hyperbole that was happening when the team was 0-2. Press asking Belichick if he's thinking about going with the backup QB, talks about Brady trades, fans thinking the dynasty is over, as if the team hasn't been in the playoffs consistently nearly every year with Brady at QB and hasn't made 2 superbowl appearances in recent history.

How are you still a dynasty if you're not winning Superbowls...

Respect

Patriots lost those Super Bowls because of the Giants D, and -- of course -- Eli being clutch, but Giants D were perfect matchups against the Patriots in those two games.

Indeed, any team with a good front seven has give NE trouble since they started building more around Brady (see NYJ, NYG, Balt).

Patriots next four games:

@ Colts
Lions
@ Packers
@ Chargers

If they go .500 over that stretch then you've gotta be happy with that.

No doubt, would be a big boost if they come out of that stretch with only 1 loss. Will be fun/nerve wracking to watch.

Its obvious. KC is just that good.

If you guys deliver a duplicate beat down to DEN in a month that you gave us, no could argue against that :p

Tawpgun

The same people who think spygate = superbowl wins and superbowl appearances don't count should be the same people who think Brady > Manning just by superbowl wins alone then.

eznark

Banned
The same people who think spygate = superbowl wins and superbowl appearances don't count should be the same people who think Brady > Manning just by superbowl wins alone then.

That would mean those people would think Manning is better than Brady as Brady has no legitimate super bowl wins. Which they do. the logic checks out.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Peyton pretty much holds the stat edge over Brady in almost every category.. except Peyton has thrown considerably more INT's than Brady throughout the years.. with 224 in 248 games.. Brady 137 in 202 games. Yet Brady has fumbled considerably more as well.. 69 to 44.

Both throughout their career have had some top tier WR targets (or as of late top TE targets) and both have remained relatively healthy throughout their careers.

Yet, it's hard to discount rings.. because in the end.. people remember that.

..but yeah.. Manning is the better QB.. but it's not by a lot..

Peyton pretty much holds the stat edge over Brady in almost every category.. except Peyton has thrown considerably more INT's than Brady throughout the years.. with 224 in 248 games.. Brady 137 in 202 games. Yet Brady has fumbled considerably more as well.. 69 to 44.

Both throughout their career have had some top tier WR targets (or as of late top TE targets) and both have remained relatively healthy throughout their careers.

Yet, it's hard to discount rings.. because in the end.. people remember that.

..but yeah.. Manning is the better QB.. but it's not by a lot..
Lmao no. Manning is infamous for stat padding and stats mean little like really.

Clearos

The media will always jump on and off the patriots bandwagon because it generates traffic either people agreeing with them or telling how far off they are.

Same with any high profile team, you don't need to like or agree with the article as long as you click it and get into pointless arguments in the ESPN forums.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Patriots next four games:

@ Colts
Lions
@ Packers
@ Chargers

If they go .500 over that stretch then you've gotta be happy with that.
Ugh. Colts and Packers may be a problem (really mobile QBs), but I think the Lions and Chargers (who got their asses kicked by Miami) should be winnable.

yuraya

Peyton Manning is a fraud compared to Brady. People saying he is better than Brady have no idea what they are talking about.

Look at the weapons Manning had in his career. Compare that with the Brady weapons. Manning inflated the shit out of his numbers by throwing to Wayne/Harrison/Clark/James in the Dome for nearly a decade.

Manning is a choke artist in the playoffs. One super bowl win against Rex Grossman.

Brady has more playoff wins than Joe Montana. Would have had 5 super bowl wins if Eli manning didn't throw some crazy epic throws in both those two super bowls.

Brady won super bowl as biggest underdog in history of super bowl. When they played the greatest show on turf (Rams) and beat them on turf. Nobody was giving Pats a chance to win that game back in 2001. Nobody. Brady was basically a rookie that year that came off the bench.

Brady threw for 5 TD passes in a single quarter once..in a fucking snow game lol.

/thread

NervousXtian

Lmao no. Manning is infamous for stat padding and stats mean little like really.

They do mean something though, if they meant nothing then everyone should have stats like Manning.. right?

Rings mean a lot.. but only one team can win a title.. and no ONE person wins a title for any team.. but stats over a long career.. yeah.. the mean something.

I'm a Patriots fan. I'm a Brady fan. I think Manning is the better QB.

Respect

Ugh. Colts and Packers may be a problem (really mobile QBs), but I think the Lions and Chargers (who got their asses kicked by Miami) should be winnable.

NE always seem to struggle against SD...they always have to turn them over 3-4 times and even with that they just squeak by with a win. Granted this charges front 7 isn't as good as they have been in the past, but it is no gimmie, especially since it is in SD.

DET has a very good front 7 and defense always travels well in the NFL. On paper, NE should win the game, but it won't be easy, we will have a good feel after a couple of drives by NE. If Brady's is under duress quickly in first quarter without even blitzing, it's going to be a long day for NE. If he gets time, it will be a good sign for NE.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
They do mean something though, if they meant nothing then everyone should have stats like Manning.. right?

Rings mean a lot.. but only one team can win a title.. and no ONE person wins a title for any team.. but stats over a long career.. yeah.. the mean something.

I'm a Patriots fan. I'm a Brady fan. I think Manning is the better QB.
18-7
10-11

Brady and Manning playoff record respectively. Brady plays better in the playoffs and Manning plays worse. That's enough for me.

eznark

Banned
Eli has a better playoff winning percentage than Tom Brady, and has actual legitimate rings.

Guess Eli is the GOAT.

Peyton Manning is and always was better than Tom Brady.
Take playoff record into account and take the teams around them into account and it's absolutely the other way around.

One is the most winning Quarterback of all time doing it mostly with decent to above average teams. Three time super bowl champion in a tough division.

The other is the most stat padding quarterback of all times who's had above average to great teams. Chokes in most playoff games. In AZ relatively weak division. One time champion.

If Brady had Peytons weapons you'd see a 2007 like season. Before Moss and Gronkowski Brady never had elite WRs. Meanwhile Peyton has Marvin fucking Harrison, Dallas Clark, AND Reggie Wayne. Lmao Brady is so much better than Peyton who's a modern day Brett Favre imo.

andycapps

Tom Brady is married to a supermodel who makes more money than him. He's always doing better than ever.

Didn't Bill Cowher give the Pats a pass on that whole spyware business? I think a former Steelers head coach giving the Pats a pass on videotaping then maybe it's not that big a deal. And maybe it speaks more to some people's desire not to accept that a team was pretty good.

edit: my statement in no way justifies the cheating. Just saying that maybe the people who constantly bring it up need the cheating to justify their hatred of a good team.

Basically, even when Brady's losing, he's still winning.

But for real, Brady is just a winner. He's not the most talented QB ever, and Gronk probably makes him look better than he is, but he's one of the top QB's in the game right now that I'd want to have with the game on the line.

But Brady lost two Superbowls!!

Each Superbowl Brady put his team in a position to win. Welker drooped a pass and Samuel dropped an interception and then the DEFENSE let the Pats down.

Brady has always put his team in a position to win in Superbowls. Meanwhile Peyton got blown the fuck out last year.

NervousXtian

and if you really believe Peyton Manning is a fraud, you don't watch football every week.

Exactly this. I've never seen a QB with as much control of a game as Peyton. The adjustments he can make and the way he can read a defense are pretty fucking amazing.

Brady is great, but Peyton is slightly better.

yuraya

and if you really believe Peyton Manning is a fraud, you don't watch football every week.

Compared to Brady he is a fraud. Never had any competition in teh AFC south. With a rare good season from Jags or Titans. And Texans who were a new franchise. He had it easy compared to others for the past decade. Played in the dome with a great offense every year. Marvin Harrison is easily top 5 all time receiver. As soon as Manning leaves the regular season for the playoffs he choked. He is a fraud. Not in the same league as Brady. Playoff record and rings are more important than running up numbers against scrubs in the regular season.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Exactly this. I've never seen a QB with as much control of a game as Peyton. The adjustments he can make and the way he can read a defense are pretty fucking amazing.

Brady is great, but Peyton is slightly better.
All that's great but some people play better during the big moments and continually show a pattern for doing so throughout their career while others don't. Peyton is in the latter category.

BigDug13

Oh we care about appearances now. Jim Kelly will be thrilled.

Ok you're right then. The Patriots under Belichick will never again win the superbowl because they can no longer spy. They're obviously a shitty team without spying.

And since the only measure of how good a team is is Super Bowl rings and nothing else, I guess Jim Kelly dashing the Super Bowl hopes of QB's like Marino and Warren Moon is meaningless. They were still a shitty team that completely dominated the AFC.

eznark

Banned
Glad you've seen the light.

But Brady lost two Superbowls!!

Each Superbowl Brady put his team in a position to win. Welker drooped a pass and Samuel dropped an interception and then the DEFENSE let the Pats down.

Brady has always put his team in a position to win in Superbowls. Meanwhile Peyton got blown the fuck out last year.

After beating Brady.

Glad you've seen the light.

After beating Brady.
Right because Brady never beat Manning in the playoffs before lmao. These two go back and forth both are GOATs but you Manning fans are in denial of you think Brady isn't one of the all time Greats. My thing is I feel like he's better because of more rings and consistency

eznark

Banned
Right because Brady never beat Manning in the playoffs before lmao. These two go back and forth both are GOATs but you Manning fans are in denial of you think Brady isn't one of the all time Greats. My thing is I feel like he's better because of more rings and consistency

Who said that?

Bread

Banned
Compared to Brady he is a fraud. Never had any competition in teh AFC south. With a rare good season from Jags or Titans. And Texans who were a new franchise. He had it easy compared to others for the past decade. Played in the dome with a great offense every year. Marvin Harrison is easily top 5 all time receiver. As soon as Manning leaves the regular season for the playoffs he choked. He is a fraud. Not in the same league as Brady. Playoff record and rings are more important than running up numbers against scrubs in the regular season.
Again, if you watch him play you know he isn't a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom