• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Prey 2: Pray Harder confirmed (2012) [Update: HAHAHAHA post 107, 430]

legacyzero

Banned
JaseC said:
The majority of those here in this thread enjoyed the original (like me!) and are truly disappointed with what the cover of the magazine implies for the direction of the sequel.

idT5 was the assumption earlier on given the phrasing in the PR statement, but now there's a very real possibility the engine is still idT4 (either heavily so, or more as a foundation).
Is it just the hat he's wearing that's giving off the spec ops vibe? Jesus, the guy looks like Sam Fischer ala ConViction...

plagiarize said:
doesn't correlate with what i've read. they may have used the UE3 editor and a couple of other pieces, but the bulk of the engine isn't UE3. they added a couple of UE3 pieces into UE2.5... it's not UE3 engine.

he's talking about Bioshock INFINITE. ken levine said it's using UE3 because UE2.5 wasn't working out as much as they wanted. he said that they would be taking a similar leap with UE3 like they did with UE2 as far as modifications.

either way, your original point about old technology having legs is still sound. i used to think that Half-Life was the Quake 2 engine and then i found it was actually a heavily modified Quake 1 engine. as long as the development team is smart enough to know how to balance their time and resources, as well as know enough about their engine options, then it shouldn't be much of a burden.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So why is it that every time somebody goes, "it's not what you'd expect from the franchise/developer, it's going in an interesting new direction," it's always the same BS shooter stuff that everybody ELSE is doing, and they're just removing all the things that made the franchise unique?

I mean really why on EARTH should I be interested in a shooter based on an image that tries to make it look like every other dudebro shooter? I've played that game before. You've played that game before. WE'VE ALL played that game before.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Htown said:
So why is it that every time somebody goes, "it's not what you'd expect from the franchise/developer, it's going in an interesting new direction," it's always the same BS shooter stuff that everybody ELSE is doing, and they're just removing all the things that made the franchise unique?

I mean really why on EARTH should I be interested in a shooter based on an image that tries to make it look like every other dudebro shooter? I've played that game before. You've played that game before. WE'VE ALL played that game before.

We want dat CoD money cause we created an industry where risk is bad!

Kydd BlaZe

This game is pegged for a 2012 release, right? Why the fuck would Human Head still opt to use ancient ass idTech4? Granted, we don't know that for sure, but I just don't understand the logic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
XeroSauce said:
So quick to judge.

I wanted Tommy back as much as the next guy, but it's a goddamn cover of a magazine.

Most are simply pointing out how ludicrous/different it is.

JaxJag

Banned
Wait, is Human Head Studios still in buisness?

If so, how are they when the studio hasn't shipped a game in so long?

That's pretty much the greatest cover ever. We need more games like this except making fun of themselves moving forward. The main problem with these games is that they aren't self-aware at all. Though that is what makes them unintentionally hilarious.

LQX

Wow! I guess they can account for the change in that maybe it takes place on earth and him possibly hunting the Aliens there instead of on the ship.

Also some keep mentioning X-COM. I hope all the fuss doesn't make them change it. I love that 1950s vibe it has going.

theRizzle

This is so ridiculous I really want to believe that it's some sort of crazy April Fools joke, even though it will be the May(?) issue.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Wario64 said:
I love the tally marks on his suspender. Holy shit.

The tally marks tell us he is left handed, but he's holding the gun in his right hand. I call shenanigans!

teiresias

Cmagus said:
Apparently this is it on the cover of Game Reactor

gamereactor83_239491.jpg
Can't wait to read this ad . . . errr. . . preview for the game. I'm sure it will objectively tell me how unique and unlike every other "badass" shooter it is. After all, video game journalists are hard hitting writers looking to write real substantive critique of the work in the industry.

Gen X said:
The tally marks tell us he is left handed, but he's holding the gun in his right hand. I call shenanigans!

it also implies that he thinks there will be an extremely small number of enemies he'll have to face in total. enough to fit on his straps.

one thing im still puzzled about is WHY does Prey NEED to be re-imaged like this? not re-imagined, re-IMAGED. it's as if they weren't satisfied with the perceptual image of the game itself based on the main character design and felt the need to give it an overhaul. this is another point being made about the new emo dante in NT's DMC. the main character design is a BIG DEAL.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gen X said:

He is the dudebro of all the dudebros,The ultimate dudebro, the alpha dude, He use his left hand only when he get serious, he is that much of a real badass dude,dude.

I am convinced that somewhere out there, there is an ANTI- Neogaf forum where all it's members get extremely excited about dudebro art direction in games and it's this place where these game studios have been taking their cues from.

Piggus

Considering how Prey ended, it would be SUCH a fucking dick move to feature someone other than Tommy as the main character. C'MON SON.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can barely recall what happened in the original. I haven't played it since 2008 or so. Need to find myself a cheap retail copy/Steam key and give it another whirl.

legacyzero said:
Is it just the hat he's wearing that's giving off the spec ops vibe? Jesus, the guy looks like Sam Fischer ala ConViction...

It's an ungodly amalgamation of every "dudebro" stereotype.

likedamaster said:
Fun fact: Prey was the first to have in & out portals before Valve's Portal used it.
Portals are just teleports you can look through. A ton of games have had those since.. forever. Quake 1 is a notable one, the deathmatch levels especially in/out teleporting is hugely important, some of Quake 3's teleports you could also see through.

Question to those who might know: Wasn't this game in development for like 10 years before it released?
No, there were two completely different Prey games.

The first in-house 3D Realms version was in development in three distinct versions from 1995 to 1999. All media released from that game is from the second version in development from 1996 to 1998. None of the three versions of this game got very far in development.

The Prey that finally released in 2006 was in development from 2001 at a completely different developer, Humanhead, with only the main character and the portal concept left over from the previous project. Most everything else in the game, the story, wallwalking, spiritwalking, the alien spaceship and that came about during this version's development.

To add insult to to injury, Hines has confirmed it's not using iD Tech 5.

Correction: We previously reported Prey 2 would be using id Tech 5. Bethesda Softworks Director of Marking and PR Pete Hines says the game will not be using that engine. "This game has been in development for quite a while and id Tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option," Hines said. The story above has been corrected.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1155349p1.html

:/

John Carmack isn't actually the only guy able to program in the world by the way. True story. Since they've had so much time developing this game it really doesn't matter what engine technology is beneath all that stuff Humanhead's made themselves, it's serving its purpose for the game exactly and I'm sure it will look great.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
While that cover is definitely brodudified, I don't know enough about the first Prey to judge how much of a change this is. I was always under the impression that the protagonist of the fist game was a dudebro in space. Someone please provide a picture that sums up the first game and nullifies my preconception.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Teetris said:
Is the deal just about the cover or do we have more info?
We only have the cover, and there's certainly a chance that the game could be entirely different than the cover implies.

Unfortunately, our success rate with this is about 10-20%.

Jinfash said:
While that cover is definitely brodudified, I don't know enough about the first Prey to judge how much of a change this is. I was always under the impression that the protagonist of the fist game was a dudebro in space. Someone please provide a picture that sums up the first game and nullifies my preconception.
The issue isn't that Prey wasn't dudebro friendly, it's that this is a very different flavor of dudebro.

Imagine if when Duke Nukem Forever came back we saw Duke dressed up like a Black Ops character.

Edit:

Here's a good example of Prey's style from lord pie a few pages back.

prey.jpg

Top Bottom