• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Prey 2: Pray Harder confirmed (2012) [Update: HAHAHAHA post 107, 430]

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nirolak said:
The issue isn't that Prey wasn't dudebro friendly, it's that this is a very different flavor of dudebro.

Imagine if when Duke Nukem Forever came back we saw Duke dressed up like a Black Ops character.

Edit:

Here's a good example of Prey's style from lord pie a few pages back.

prey.jpg
Ha, ok, that's quite the change.

Just as an observation, the main character in prey being a Native American called Tommy Hawk wasn't exactly videogames finest hour of narrative character design.

Instro

MrNyarlathotep said:
Just as an observation, the main character in prey being a Native American called Tommy Hawk wasn't exactly videogames finest hour of narrative character design.

I dont remember his last name being mentioned in the game, pretty funny if it was Hawk. I do remember that his actual name was Domasi or something like that though.

Chris_C

It's a little sadenning to see how group thinking initiated by a single derisory response and change in thread title can have such an immediate (and possibly widespread and long lasting) impact on the perception of a game so long before many have even played it.

I'm not championing Prey 2, but I noticed something similar happened with the Dragon Age 2 Official Thread, which was also started by a mod. A lot of OP's go all out to hype a game and display it in the best possible light, but this OP did just the opposite. I can only imagine that anyone who had worked so long and hard on that game must have been incredibly disheartened when he/she saw that.

Just a trend that I notice seems to be getting a blessing from mods lately, I'm not sure it's the best considering mod influence on the community.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MrNyarlathotep said:

That wasn't his actual name.

Wikipedia said:
The story focuses on Domasi Tawodi (also known as "Tommy"), a Cherokee garage mechanic and former U.S. Army soldier living on a Native American reservation in Oklahoma. At the beginning of the game, Tommy is in a bar owned by his girlfriend, Jen. Tommy is tired of living on the reservation, and constantly tries to push his heritage away, while at the same time trying to convince Jen to leave home, if only for a short while, to which she refuses steadfastly. After an unfortunate bar fight, the entire building is lifted up by a gravitational force into a green light above. Tommy, Jen, and Tommy's grandfather, Enisi, are transported back to the massive alien starship called the Sphere.

Instro said:
I dont remember his last name being mentioned in the game, pretty funny if it was Hawk. I do remember that his actual name was Domasi or something like that though.

IIRC, he's called Tommy a handful of times but his full nickname isn't mentioned at all.

Chris_C said:
It's a little sadenning to see how group thinking initiated by a single derisory response and change in thread title can have such an immediate (and possibly widespread and long lasting) impact on the perception of a game so long before many have even played it.

Again, most are simply decrying the cover as opposed to the game itself.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Wikipedia says 'The game's story is focused on Cherokee Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi'.

Edit: TOO LATE

Chris_C said:

I'm not championing Prey 2, but I noticed something similar happened with the Dragon Age 2 Official Thread, which was also started by a mod. A lot of OP's go all out to hype a game and display it in the best possible light, but this OP did just the opposite. I can only imagine that anyone who had worked so long and hard on that game must have been incredibly disheartened when he/she saw that.

Just a trend that I notice seems to be getting a blessing from mods lately, I'm not sure it's the best considering mod influence on the community.
After playing DA2 I'm not as annoyed by the OT anymore :(

The first Prey was pretty average. Basically a series of gimmicks built around decent Duke Nukem style gameplay. Hopefully they've taken more from Portal and less from Freud this time around.

Magazine cover doesn't really bother me. It's not like I'm attached at all to any of the fiction they tried to present, so they could replace Tommy with Sam Fischer for all I care, as long as they make the game better.

Chris_C said:

Group thinking initiated by an announcement image which, as the first point of contact between game and consumers, is about as inflammatory as it gets. Prey: unique. This image: generic. The only saddening thing here is, as ever, the marketing.

Chris_C said:
That's hardly the point.

You could argue the OT mirrors the game in terms of quality, dumbing down, etc.

I haven't played the game, but based on the reviews and impressions, there's very little reason to hype the game.

derFeef

Absoludacrous said:
The first Prey was pretty average. Basically a series of gimmicks built around decent Duke Nukem style gameplay. Hopefully they've taken more from Portal and less from Freud this time around.

Magazine cover doesn't really bother me. It's not like I'm attached at all to any of the fiction they tried to present, so they could replace Tommy with Sam Fischer for all I care, as long as they make the game better.
I liked Prey fo it's main protagonist, the fact that you are an escapee on an alien ship getting confronted with all the weird stuff and your heritage. And then there is the search for Jen. I liked it because of that stuff, and not the portals.

Spokeys

I call it the Max Payne 3 syndrome! It's where they take everything that was unique and meaningful about the antagonist and lore and just shit it up with awful generic characterizations.

It's a shame because I really dug Tommy. I mean, I still remember his damn name and I haven't touched the game since I completed it when around it was first released.

I'm dissapointed in the loss. Tommy and the Native American folklore is what made the game personally stand out for me in this world of same old tired FPS cliches.

Scratch that for at least one cool Native American character in the videogame industry.

EDIT: Oh wait we still have Turok guys! Uhhh, Don't we guys? Don't we?

Chris_C

TheOctagon said:
Group thinking initiated by an announcement image which, as the first point of contact between game and consumers, is about as inflammatory as it gets. Prey: unique. This image: generic. The only saddening thing here is, as ever, the marketing.

I think that critique of game's marketing is totally fine, but spare a thought for the people who make these games and give them the benefit of the doubt before we proclaim that they've abandoned all that made the original unique.

Speedymanic said:
You could argue the OT mirrors the game in terms of quality, dumbing down, etc.

I haven't played the game, but based on the reviews and impressions, there's very little reason to hype the game.

My point is that the derisory OP was made before most reviews were even out, based largely on previews and the arguable opinion that the game had been "dumbed down".

Anyway, we're starting to get somewhat off topic here.

Chris_C said:
My point is that the derisory OP was made before most reviews were even out, based largely on previews and the arguable opinion that the game had been "dumbed down".

Anyway, we're starting to get somewhat off topic here.

Pretty sure it was mainly based on impressions from the demo, which by all accounts was awful.

But yeah, we are starting to go a little OT.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Noisepurge said:
huh, ok, i remember reading the project was cancelled and they were making an iphone game out of it or something...
Well, there was a rumor that Firaxis was making a real X-COM game, but that the project got canceled.

This one is still chugging along though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Absoludacrous said:
You say that like it's a bad thing. The level design and gimmicks were fantastic.

Zeliard

Chris_C said:

The DA2 OP was based on every bit of info we had on the game up to that point, including the demo, as well as direct quotes from the lead designer and others at Bioware. Unsurprisingly, the game ended up pretty much exactly as people had expected. There had also been reason to believe long prior that DA2 was going to end up the way it did.

The point, and it relates to this, is to not simply hope that everything will magically be okay when there are some warning signs indicating otherwise. When Prey featured a Cherokee protagonist voiced by a Plains Cree actor, and the protagonist of the new game looks like Generic Space Marine #4514, that's a warning sign. And he's probably bald under that cap, too.

Jex

I won't claim that I was particularly excited for Prey 2, but this is a disappointing direction for them to be taking the series.

Nirolak said:
Well, there was a rumor that Firaxis was making a real X-COM game, but that the project got canceled.

This one is still chugging along though.
It will turn out similar to Bioshock 2, a great game but the team really could have done without using an existing IP. Marin deserve their own shot.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The guy looks like a resistance member from HL2, you guys are overreacting, it's probably just a random npc

[Nintex]

Easy_D said:
The guy looks like a resistance member from HL2, you guys are overreacting, it's probably just a random npc
makes sense to put a random NPC on the cover of a magazine...... for marketing reasons obviously...

lolwut

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Prey 2 is Episode Three!? :eek:

Des0lar said:
First Prey was shit, so this can only be better.

Des0lar
will learn eventually
(Today, 06:19 PM)
Reply | Quote

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has there been one example of "just wait till its 0ut!!111" that didn't turn out disastrously?

Haunted

That cover doesn't make me particularly hopeful for the direction they're taking this in.

Y2Kev said:
Has there been one example of "just wait till its 0ut!!111" that didn't turn out disastrously?
Red Faction: Guerilla

But that's the exception to the rule.

[Nintex]

Y2Kev said:
I believe Sonic Colors was somehow a great game but outside of that scorcery... nope.

raphier

Banned
Syringe said:
I'm the guy writing the article in this issue. Seriously, you've only seen some art and here you are raving as if you know anything at all. Have a little faith here, I highly doubt you'll be disapointed in this game!
Universal Translator: Please buy the issue.

Honestly, How could they contradict a dudebro cover with faith that it's different than it looks?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nirolak said:
Dead Space!

And uh...

um...

uh...
I was proud to have liked the unveiling of the RENEGADE TEAM at EA.

But I do think RFG is kinda a good one. even though those shots were liked leaked alpha and the actual impressions were really good :)

Also, they had a total sense of humor. Ostrich hammer!

I just think DA2 fantards need to eat more crow. Let's talk about how bad that game is in here too.

Xater

Y2Kev said:
I was proud to have liked the unveiling of the RENEGADE TEAM at EA.

But I do think RFG is kinda a good one. even though those shots were liked leaked alpha and the actual impressions were really good :)

Also, they had a total sense of humor. Ostrich hammer!

I just think DA2 fantards need to eat more crow. Let's talk about how bad that game is in here too.
I am playing DA2 right now and I don't know if I will finish it. The game is incredibly dull. The story is absolutely unfocused without any goal in sight, and the re-use of just a few locations for the quests is ridiculous. The combat system is actually less of an issue. I really don't understand how this happened after the great first game.

There now we also have some shitting on DA2 done in here.

Xater said:
I am playing DA2 right now and I don't know if I will finish it. The game is incredibly dull. The story is absolutely unfocused without any goal in sight, and the re-use of just a few locations for the quests is ridiculous. The combat system is actually less of an issue. I really don't understand how this happened after the great first game.

There now we also have some shitting on DA2 done in here.

Bioware's patented 'streamlining' in full effect.

They did it to Mass Effect and they've done it to Dragon Age. The signs were there, who can forget how ridiculously 'streamlined' Jade Empire was, but most regarded that as a blip and they exploded back onto the scene with Mass Effect 1 and a return to proper RPGing.

Oh how naive we were to think that Bioware had gone back to making proper RPG's. :c

Top Bottom