• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Prey 2: Pray Harder confirmed (2012) [Update: HAHAHAHA post 107, 430]

Warm Machine said:
Were people really crazy enough for the original that this matters an iota?

I never finished Prey, but it took chances, and succeeded in a lot of places. Plus, any game opening sequence that includes Don't Fear the Reaper is good in my book.

Cmagus

Kraftwerk said:
Personally, it was one of the best games i had played in a while. Short and sweet. I know a few people who felt the same.

Who didn't like standing around the bar in the beginning listening to Free Ride then those alien bastards come and ruin it

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Syringe said:
I'm the guy writing the article in this issue. Seriously, you've only seen some art and here you are raving as if you know anything at all. Have a little faith here, I highly doubt you'll be disapointed in this game!

We all know all game previews are always positive so this bullshit won't fly :)

todahawk

zBkxc.png

Syringe said:
I'm the guy writing the article in this issue. Seriously, you've only seen some art and here you are raving as if you know anything at all. Have a little faith here, I highly doubt you'll be disapointed in this game!
I'm approaching it with an open mind. Can't possibly be worse than that new Xcom game.

legacyzero

Banned
GAF may seem to not like it, but considering that PREY was only the second 'next gen' game I ever played after PDZ, it holds a sacred place in my heart. Bring this game on!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
legacyzero said:
GAF may seem to not like it, but considering that PREY was only the second 'next gen' game I ever played after PDZ, it holds a sacred place in my heart. Bring this game on!
Lots of people on GAF like it. I think anyone who grew up playing older FPS games appreciated it's clever level design and weapons. It was just long enough not to overstay it's welcome and was full of awesome gimmicks.

GWX

Nirolak said:
While I would love for Max Payne 3 and XCOM to be great, it's hard to get excited when they look like this.

*max payne 3 shot*

That shot of Max Payne 3 looks awesome, and could be so much fun if done right. I hope the development is going well, but I doubt it, considering we haven't heard about it in a long time now. New media and info at E3, please?

Regarding Prey 2, well... That cover shows something that I didn't expect. It has been a long time since I've played Prey, but wasn't the main character an indian? Weird.

edit: Just saw the post few posts above me. Yes, it really was. New character indeed.

Spoo

Am I retarded for feeling confidant about this game? -- serious.

I liked the first Prey. It's underrated as fuck. It introduced portals, for one; and yeah, I'm totally aware that we didn't give a shit about it until Portal came out, because Portal made it cool.

But the character of Tommy was fun, the game has some awesome 3DRealms-esque interactivity (believe me when I say we'll be talking about DNF long after its out because of the contribution to in-game interactivity it will make), and overall the gameplay was super solid.

I want to believe. But that mag cover gives me almost NOTHING to hold on to.

EmCeeGramr said:
"TELL ME ABOUT THE SPIRIT WORLD"

"I DON'T FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANY GODDAMN SPIRIT WORLD. ARGHAHHGHGHGHALAGH"

"1972. OKLAHOMA. YOU WERE WITH YOUR GRANDFATHER AND YOUR PET HAWK. TELL US ABOUT IT."

"ALRIGHT..."

I had to repost this; so fucking win.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Nirolak said:
Well, maybe they rewrote as much as Splash Damage did for Brink...

...though probably not.
Wait, Brink only uses Tech 4? After being in development for so fucking long!?
ZeniMax are awful.

Thnikkaman said:
Wait, Brink only uses Tech 4? After being in development for so fucking long!?
ZeniMax are awful.
i'd love you to explain the logic behind this.

did you know that Call of Duty Black Ops uses the Quake 3 engine? that Bioshock uses the Unreal 2 engine?

it doesn't matter what engine Brink started out using, it looks awesome. they've rewritten vast portions of it. switching engines would only INCREASE the development time, and when the game already looks beautiful why the hell bother?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
plagiarize said:

did you know that Call of Duty Black Ops uses the Quake 3 engine? that Bioshock uses the Unreal 2 engine?

it doesn't matter what engine Brink started out using, it looks awesome. they've rewritten vast portions of it. switching engines would only INCREASE the development time, and when the game already looks beautiful why the hell bother?
My logic is that ZeniMax's acquisitions are holding the teams back, at least ones that aren't Bethesda. Arkane has disappeared off the face of the earth entirely. With iD and the tech owned by them they should be handing out newer engines that provide better functionality, workflow... It's like if Epic owned a business and didn't allow them to use the latest editor.

Stallion Free said:
I see that logic used all the time on Gaf. Just this morning it was present in a Source 2 thread.
Except I think differently. Source as an engine changes all the time, there's not been Source 2: The Revenge. Valve alter it over time and if Brink is any indication Splash Damage had to do all the legwork themselves to get it up to scratch.

Thnikkaman said:
My logic is that ZeniMax's acquisitions are holding the teams back, at least ones that aren't Bethesda. Arkane has disappeared off the face of the earth entirely. With iD and the tech owned by them they should be handing out newer engines that provide better functionality, workflow... It's like if Epic owned a business and didn't allow them to use the latest editor.
id tech isn't like the unreal engine. it's not like you just install some updates and you can now use the latest editor and implement the latest effects. they aren't iterative like that. they're completely different engines.

changing from one id tech to another is a massive amount of work, and if you've already rewritten the renderer up to scratch before that new tech has matured enough for you to use it, it'd be months of coding just to get you back to where you were in the first place.

they aren't being held back, they're perfectly happy with the engine they're using. changing engine mid game is universally associated with horribly overlong development times, and for very good reason.

I was all excited for this, but if it doesn't have Tommy or the Native American stuff in it I'm going to be supremely disappointed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
legacyzero said:

Did you read this thread... at all?

legacyzero said:
did not know this.

DAY 0.

Nevermind, question answered.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
plagiarize said:

Those probably aren't the world's greatest examples given that Black Ops PS3 runs at 544p at around 40 fps while BioShock Infinite had to switch to Unreal Engine 3 because they couldn't do what they wanted on Unreal Engine 2.5.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Nirolak said:
Those probably aren't the world's greatest examples given that Black Ops PS3 runs at 544p at around 40 fps while BioShock Infinite had to switch to Unreal Engine 3 because they couldn't do what they wanted on Unreal Engine 2.5.
To be really pedantic, Bioshock jumped from 2.5 to 3.

Thnikkaman said:
To be really pedantic, Bioshock jumped from 2.5 to 3.
doesn't correlate with what i've read. they may have used the UE3 editor and a couple of other pieces, but the bulk of the engine isn't UE3. they added a couple of UE3 pieces into UE2.5... it's not UE3 engine.

http://www.techspot.com/article/247-bioshock2-graphics-performance/

and http://hardocp.com/article/2010/02/22/bioshock_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/

The Technology

BioShock 2 is powered by the same graphics engine that was behind BioShock: Unreal Engine 2.5, or UE2.5. It has been upgraded and modified, and even sports some features from UE3, but it is still UE2.5, which first debuted in 2004 with Unreal Tournament 2004.

and i only picked Black Ops as the most recent example. all the Call of Duty games this gen run on tech based on the Quake 3 engine. MW2 would have been just as accurate an example.

so my only mistake is calling Bioshock UE2 rather than UE2.5.

and anyway, nothing you've said changes the fact that the base engine isn't really relevant in many cases.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
legacyzero said:
sorry. of course I read a few pages, but I mostly saw posts saying things like " am disappoint."

The majority of those here in this thread enjoyed the original (like me!) and are truly disappointed with what the cover of the magazine implies for the direction of the sequel.

idT5 was the assumption earlier on given the phrasing in the PR statement, but now there's a very real possibility the engine is still idT4 (either heavily so, or more as a foundation).

Nirolak said:
While I would love for Max Payne 3 and XCOM to be great, it's hard to get excited when they look like this.

pictures

I'm actually interested in seeing how MP3 turns out... if it even exists. No McCaffrey or Sam Lake makes me feel down, but I'm open-minded.

I'm not attached to the old X-Com games (never played them), so I'm actually really interested in seeing the 50s alien thing that the new game seems to have. That actually looks kinda cool to me.

JaseC said:
The majority of those here in this thread enjoyed the original (like me!) and are truly disappointed with what the cover of the magazine implies for the direction of the sequel.

idT5 was the assumption earlier on given the phrasing in the PR statement, but now there's a very real possibility the engine is still idT4 (either heavily so, or more as a foundation).
to be more on topic, looking at the quality of the additions Human Head made to id Tech 4 in the first Prey, i see no reason to presume that Prey 2 won't look a lot better than the original too even if they started with their Prey 1 engine work and went from there (ignoring the Quake Wars megatexture additions and such).

Prey's outdoor areas looked better than anything in Doom 3 or Quake 4, and the portal technology was all Human Head's work.

Top Bottom