• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm farting around in Burbank and I'm near a Gamestop and Best Buy. I'm gonna check them out and report back.

Also how do I view spoilers on a iPhone?

I don't get the disappointment from the xbone subreddit. Why make yourself feel worse if the xbone is the only console you have. TR will be fine and perfectly playable.

I mean I guess I can understand if someone believed MN or Penello and now feels lied to, but I mean if you believed them that's on you not on them. They are doing their job.

It's human nature. It's normal to feel bad. It's like a person who buys a $15,000 civic is happy with his purchase, it gets you from point A to B and in a reliable fashion and has a lot of nice extra features. But boy you sure envy those people driving around a $30,000 BMW 4 series. Everything is more supple, more refined, better to look at, more powerful. Except in this rare unusual case, the BMW 4 series is $39K and the civic is something like $49K.

I've lost my point and gone cross eyed. Point is, people who KNOW the X1 version and is stuck with that one version is feeling that buyers remorse.

The update states it goes higher than 30 FPS sometimes reaching 45 FPS. Stated the average of the Xbox One version to be above 30 FPS.

Both versions will be better than last gen TR obviously; PS4 TR can reach 60 FPS though.

Dunno about 'can reach'. More accurately it is 60fps most of the time, from reading the article and updates.

Kiant

I picked this up for $14 on steam..

is the pc version basically the same?

Pretty much, doesn't have the new model for Lara but technically if your PC is up to snuff it is the "Definite edtion". Anyone wanting to pick this up (least in the UK) should check out GMG, it's only £36.99 on both PS4 and Xbone.

commedieu

Banned
mother of god this thread has become massive since I left for work this morning. I guess those updates all but put the nail in the coffin of those skeptical at least. Good shit on the reporting, EatChildren.

No, but the expectation of a regular poster who wasn't being directed by marketing according to his own bs, you don't say something like that and don't return and apologize when you are so disgraced. If he had any self-respect or any respect for the community, he would swallow his crow and work to be a better poster in the future.

Of course, we all know the truth of the matter now, so it's no use complaining. Tomb Raider is just adding insult to injury, since this has happened time and time again in multiplatform games.

Permission to present a silver lining?

You know hes reading this all. hahahahahahaha.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I picked this up for $14 on steam..

is the pc version basically the same?
Current gen based with experimental TressFX if you can get it running at a decent framerate with it on, the game the same thou

MajorPain

30 fps or 60 fps not worth the $60 they are charging for this game. Maybe if you have never played it but I bought right before the new year for $5 off amazon for pc.

If your PC is capable of running TR PC version at 1080p/60, get it there and save $45. duh.

Precisely the point. It just so happens you need quite a sizeable rig in order to hit 1080p/60fps with TressFX on.

However, the beauty of the PC version is that you can opt out of TressFX and just play in glorious 1080p/60 anyways.

The Tomb Raider: Gravy Edition for the PS4 is obviously for people who only have a PS4.

The Tomb Raider: I can't tell a difference between 30 and 60 Edition is for the Xbox One only people.

iydgEEG6SzNQO.gif
You just won the thread.

Shit if is 60fps on ps4...I'm definetly buying it. I skip the last gen ver. And was planning to wait it out to bomba but i have no games to play on my damn ps4...

boingball

The kind of lies and information done by Misterxmedia does not help buyers to feel at peace about their purchase. These people create unrealistic expectation for buyers instead of feeling of contentment. If Xbox owners want to blame anyone, blame people like him, Penello, and Hyrb who constantly create unrealistic expectation about Xbox One everytime they lie of what the system is capable of. When in reality it's anything but.

Just wait when the new drivers come out and the Xbox One blows the PS4 out of the water and Misterx and Penello are redeemed.

OT:
Great thread and great gifs by ElTorro. Got some good laughs out of this thread.

EGM1966

I'd be really interested in knowing if the code was wrapped when they got to a stable (not locked) 30fps or better average on XB1 and when chucked onto the PS4 is just went faster due to increased power (which is perfectly possible) or whether they did anything specific on PS4.

I'm guessing the former to be honest - I can't see SE spending a dime more just to further optimize PS4 and given previous comments on the devices it would make sense for the game to simply perform a bit better when dumped on PS4 vs XB1 without further optimization.

Amir0x

Banned

Yeah, I know :p

What frustrates me even more is that he goes on twitter and "jokes" about how he doesn't think we miss him, as if we are a hostile community that is viewing his actions in the wrong light. I gave Penello the benefit of the doubt as to his intentions endless times as he detailed his responses and tried to be respectful (until the very end when he started to get unhinged), even as I deconstructed his points and tried to pry further.

But the second the system launched he disappeared, even while the odor from the "proofs" he was posting where he wanted apologies and shit did not fade. I know others can separate the company from its system, but to me it's interconnected. How they treat their customers have left a huge bad taste in my mouth.

I just wish he would come in this topic, recognize that this Tomb Raider controversy equals enough games by this point proving he was wrong and to be a genuine person and admit it and neoGAF will forgive eventually. But of course he doesn't care about our forgiveness because he never cared about the community.

Someone will, probably not for the price you would want though. I'm thinking you'll get $300-$350 for it. Or you could sell it for $399 and hope the prospective buyer is completely ignorant on what a PS4 is.
Less than that I'd say. I just bought a sealed Day One Edition off craigslist last week for $400. People are giving these things away seemingly.

What frustrates me even more is that he goes on twitter and "jokes" about how he doesn't think we miss him, as if we are a hostile community that is viewing his actions in the wrong light. I gave Penello the benefit of the doubt as to his intentions endless times as he detailed his responses and tried to be respectful (until the very end when he started to get unhinged), even as I deconstructed his points and tried to pry further.

But the second the system launched he disappeared, even while the odor from the "proofs" he was posting where he wanted apologies and shit did not fade. I know others can separate the company from its system, but to me it's interconnected. How they treat their customers have left a huge bad taste in my mouth.

I just wish he would come in this topic, recognize that this Tomb Raider controversy equals enough games by this point proving he was wrong and to be a genuine person and admit it and neoGAF will forgive eventually. But of course he doesn't care about our forgiveness because he never cared about the community.

Albert Pennello simply doesn't care. He's a suit. Better yet, he's a troll in a suit that crawled back into his cave.

Ricky_R

He's only waiting for the truth to come out.

Thing is, Major Nelspin is so good that even Penello was fooled.

You must not be giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore. The Xbox One launched on November 22nd, and Penello's last post on GAF was November 23rd. He stuck around for like 24 hours man! He had 4 posts about how many Xbox Ones had sold at launch, THEN BAILED!

Honestly, it is kinda funny how he straight up disappeared right after launch, never to post again, at all. But as I said earlier, he was on here this morning about 7:30am, lurking.

For me, they'll have had a total of 72 days to impress me. That's when my return window ends. If I still don't like what I'm seeing/hearing come late February, this sommbitch is going right back.

I actually wonder if the Xbone is going to have a lot of holiday returns. The extended holiday return period of a lot of stores is coming up soon I believe.

KoopaTheCasual

Im fully expecting Microsoft to pull it out of the bag with Halo, 1080p/60fps.
I don't expect it, but it would be a great way to silence the dissenters for once. If they can get their biggest title to push 1080p/60fps, they will forever be able to shun away "not powerful enough" claims, by simply pointing to Halo. Now, if that's possible for the visuals they want to push out for the next Halo title? That's a whole other discussion.

tbm24

I can still return mine, but hey...I bought it for the exclusives. They need to start showing up, though. I'm getting antsy.
There's not much on the PS4 front in comparison really. You still have to pick your poison when buying either console at the moment. My ps4 remains a FIFA box for now. I am grabbing TR tomorrow, or gonna try to anyway, but after I marathon it this weekend it's back to a FIFA box and waiting until Driveclub manifests itself on the psn store. Wait is pretty meh.

I look at a game like Ryse and graphically it seems the xbone can do some good stuff, and will only get better. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though? I really thought both consoles could pull TR off without a hitch. Surely the xbone can do better?

MoeB

We've won. The least we can do is to allow the enemy to gracefully dodge and weave out.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't expect it, but it would be a great way to silence the dissenters for once. If they can get their biggest title to push 1080p/60fps, they will forever be able to shun away "not powerful enough" claims, by simply pointing to Halo. Now, if that's possible for the visuals they want to push out for the next Halo title? That's a whole other discussion.

Hasn't it been already stated to run in 1080p/60 FPS?

tbm24

You realize all that's gonna happen is you're gonna see a thread asking what Halo 5 would look like on PS4 and how the X1 held it back and should be removed from the gaming landscape. It's just how things are going to be from now on I bet.

commedieu

Banned

Cant happen. He is in the MS bubble. It is a reality check when they leave, and since Microsoft has thoroughly reinforced the notion that they'd rather provide subterfuge to consumers, than information, whats the point? Can't even admit their 180's were because of consumer feedback. Just told us we were all too stupid to get it, for now. I love watching this happen to MS, its honestly entertaining to watch corporations try to be people, yet try to lie to them, then try to pretend they are being victimized by hordes of unreasonable commentary. PR/Business school/a whole lot of people will be citing this as an example of how not to deal with the public and the internet.

The truth as far as a consumer product, is the best policy, Microsoft wouldn't be in this position if they understood it. They could have been true about the intent of their weak ass machine, instead of trying to sell it as a powerhouse that can do everything to appease gamers, while adding nonsensical live tv functionality to the dwindling % of people watching TV. They have a problem with being perceived as anything but cutting-edge/in the know, But every thing they do proves that they simply aren't letting capable people make certain decisions. All of their actions show their intentions. None have been honest, and its been a turn off as a consumer/gaming hobbyist.

Its out, its public, its everywhere. Yet they are telling people that their eyes/knowledge is wrong, and they are right. But its only their word to be taken, and nothing shown or tangible. It really is quite the unique situation here.

There's not much on the PS4 front in comparison really. You still have to pick your poison when buying either console at the moment. My ps4 remains a FIFA box for now. I am grabbing TR tomorrow, or gonna try to anyway, but after I marathon it this weekend it's back to a FIFA box and waiting until Driveclub manifests itself on the psn store. Wait is pretty meh.

I agree, but the difference is one platform is going to have the better version of every multiplat coming down the pike...and the other is the Xbox One. The One really was purchased only (a) for exclusives and (b) to play multiplayer games with my little brother who has a One only. But until those exclusives show up, it's just this large sum of money that was spent and isn't doing anything for me except turning my direcTV channels...admittedly quite handy, but not something I'd spend $500 on. I just...idk. I just want to see some more videos of some upcoming releases to cool my nerves.

I actually wonder if the Xbone is going to have a lot of holiday returns. The extended holiday return period of a lot of stores is coming up soon I believe.
Eh, probably not. It's a fine box. I just need some exclusives to make me feel better about picking it up. I got it on Sunday after putting it off for the last month.

Well all the halos weren't gfx powerhouses. So 1080p and 60fps isnt out the question with the halo franchise

yep. I think MS will drive home the point that it needs to be 1080p/60 to 343...but I'm pretty sure they already know it. It's not like the box can't do 1080p/60; it's just that developers aren't making the necessary concessions it may need at this stage in tools and engine development to hit 1080p/60. Scale some shit back if necessary, but hit 1080p/60, 343.

That's all well and good. But the Halo series was never really about graphics anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom