• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

psn

I dunno.
50% less GPU performance and 2,5 times less memory bandwidth maybe?

Still can't figure out how some people came to a conclusion that this won't matter for multiplatforms.
Xbox marketing at its best. Confuse the people and just remind them that you are the creator of direct x :p

Where is this update that says it can hit 45 frames? I think I missed it somewhere in this thread.

This is from the OP.

From the OP said:
The Xbox One build can technically reach around 45 fps, though this performance is generally only achieved during the most empty, simplest environments.

Doesn't sound like, based on the OP, that it hits 45 during any major action scenes. However, I have no idea what the "most empty, simplest environments" really means. Is it just walking around? Or is it during action scenes that are empty and in simple environments. Who knows?

Feindflug

It's curious. Almost always framerate is the last aspect that is finalized in my limited experience. Setting the bar at this point might be a bad move in the long run but who knows? 343 are very competent devs graphically

Why is it curious? having a clear target in terms of performance from the start of development can only be a good thing - in theory a steady 60fps can be achieved more easily if 343i is working with that goal first and foremost in their development process optimizing their engine around 60Hz.

I'd say that maybe things would've been better in games performance wise if more devs had a target for a steady frame-rate in mind from the start and do the best they could from there on with their engines of course without compromising performance. The only two examples that were like this that I know of are Id with Rage and Playground with Forza Horizon and both games delivered absolutely stellar frame-rates.

BPoole

http://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558

Nice piece by Jason Schreier on why the technical details in videogames matter.

A direct response to that article on Vice that stated it didn't matter,
I'm glad pieces like this are being written. Most of the mainstream press loves to downplay the difference for whatever reason, but the differences are not minor, especially when the console with the technical edge is $100 cheaper than the weaker one.

mjontrix

iydgEEG6SzNQO.gif

/dead

With this and the recent MS ad controversy, it's clear that 2014 will be the make or break year. If Microsoft can't generate some positive goodwill then they're finished as a gaming company - Halo 5 needs to be huge to push the XB1. If it can't then it's over - and they can't rely on $3 per 1000 views to create hype.

I'm glad pieces like this are being written. Most of the mainstream press loves to downplay the difference for whatever reason, but the differences are not minor, especially when the console with the technical edge is $100 cheaper than the weaker one.
And in the case of Tomb Raider this is a re-release on new hardware.

The tech differences and improvements ARE the story here. So weird to take this as a springboard into how the gaming community and games discussion is overwhelmingly concerned with tech specifics.

Nafai1123

Banned
The article on Vice doesn't really say it doesn't matter, just that there are bigger issues people should be talking about instead of focusing just on technical details. Warring over which version of CoD is better instead of asking why we're still being fed the same game over and over is one example given.

That people narrowed it down to just being 'tech specs don't matter' and utterly ignored the larger criticism is pretty much entirely the point of the article.

When they say something like

If we want to understand video games as the cornerstone of pop culture that they are, we have to question whether or not these technical details are actually important.

That very much implies that they believe it doesn't matter, or at least doesn't matter as much as we think it should. Schreier addresses this argument, and makes the counter that they are not mutually exclusive. Journalists can report and comment on both situations, without attempting to deflate an issue that the gaming public clearly believes IS important to the medium. That Vice article reads like downplaying because it is downplaying. It's essentially a "hey, look over here at what we think matters!" article.

hawk2025

The article on Vice doesn't really say it doesn't matter, just that there are bigger issues people should be talking about instead of focusing just on technical details. Warring over which version of CoD is better instead of asking why we're still being fed the same game over and over is one example given.

That people narrowed it down to just being 'tech specs don't matter' and utterly ignored the larger criticism is pretty much entirely the point of the article.

No one ignored the larger point -- on the contrary, it was deconstructed and addressed in its proper thread as a false dichotomy, much like Jason pointed out in his article.

kinggroin

Banned
/dead

With this and the recent MS ad controversy, it's clear that 2014 will be the make or break year. If Microsoft can't generate some positive goodwill then they're finished as a gaming company - Halo 5 needs to be huge to push the XB1. If it can't then it's over - and they can't rely on $3 per 1000 views to create hype.

This is Amir0x "Sony is dead" levels of hyperbole. Holy shit.

Has anyone mentioned watchdogs also apparently runs much better on PS4.? Couldn't find a thread.

It was mentioned by one named Thuway on twitter and he was quoted here by a gaffer, apparently thuway is banned and quoting him can leave you banned as well. Thuway mentioned on twitter that WatchDogs being superior on PS4 over Xbox One was more of a personal opinion than an inside information!

I also bought it for the exclusives. Bought XB1 over PS4 even though I knew PS4 would have the better multiplats but I didn't wanna miss out on Killer Instinct. Although I really like KI, I'm just not enjoying it as much as I should using the control pad, and I'm not dishing out $200 for a new stick just to play it.
I just bought a ChronusMax converter for my HRAP and TE sticks. Hopefully they will let me play KI with my sticks because I just can't do controller fighting games anymore.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
How many bans have come from this thread alone? Crazy stuff.
Cant wait for the 100 page thread when Naughty Dog release their first screens of PS4 Uncharted and the PS4 vs PC debate kicks off.

someday

Banned
It's amazing how many people on the XBox One sub-Reddit are completely upset by this revelation. They actually believed that the One was on par with the PS4 technically and feel duped now. Huh.

Anyway, just to post on topic, I have a PS4 and I didn't buy Tomb Raider for either system last year. I was going to buy this anyway but this news just makes me feel better about it. Looking forward to finally playing the Definitive version lol.

Ricky_R

Just saw the news ... damn already 40pages...

and the gifs were already delivered ..

Thanks for the meal.

My God! I discovered time travel and didn't even notice.

EDIT: Silly me. A mere 50 posts per page peasant trying to mock a more advanced 100 posts per page being. I apologize.

McLovin

I passed on this last gen and had no idea why. Good thing theres a slight shortage of games. I'll probably pick up the PS4 version.

This thread is a gif, and meme goldmine.

RyudBoy

I just bought a ChronusMax converter for my HRAP and TE sticks. Hopefully they will let me play KI with my sticks because I just can't do controller fighting games anymore.

Saw a video for that a while ago and it looked like there was some input lag. Could've just been Youtube being the issue though. Either way, I immediately loss interest in the thing. What's the word on it, have you received yours yet? I might drop some $$ on one if there's no lag.

Vizzeh

Banned
Well, Thuway mentioned it on twitter. :)

It was mentioned by one named Thuway on twitter and he was quoted here by a gaffer, apparently thuway is banned and quoting him can leave you banned as well. Thuway mentioned on twitter that WatchDogs being superior on PS4 over Xbox One was more of a personal opinion than an inside information!

Yeah seen the tweet myself and a small article on it, describing the disparity widening, Thought there may have been more to it than just personal opinion. At this point im not sure if it would be considered a stretch to believe it. Best not speculating too much further then until we have something more to work on.

As for Tomb raider, completed it myself last Gen, but with the shiny new graphics and 60fps I think I will take a further jump in, may even attempt to platinum it. Price is a slight factor since I already paid full price for it but I suspect I will ignore that when the game comes around.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Timothy Lottes said:
Working here assuming the Eurogamer Article is close to correct. On this platform I'd be concerned with memory bandwidth. Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling....If this GPU is pre-GCN with a serious performance gap to PS4, then this next Xbox will act like a boat anchor, dragging down the min-spec target for cross-platform next-generation games.

I don't like this. I really hope this turns out to be wrong :/

/dead

If the PS3 survived Final Fantasy not being exclusive then the Xbox One can survived an enhanced port having 30FPS.

Orca

That very much implies that they believe it doesn't matter, or at least doesn't matter as much as we think it should. Schreier addresses this argument, and makes the counter that they are not mutually exclusive. Journalists can report and comment on both situations, without attempting to deflate an issue that the gaming public clearly believes IS important to the medium. That Vice article reads like downplaying because it is downplaying. It's essentially a "hey, look over here at what we think matters!" article.

I kind of agree, in a way, that it doesn't matter as much as 'we' think it should. It's not that resolution/framerate aren't nice to know and can be important, like Jason pointed out, but there are more important things we should worry about that would improve the industry a lot more - better stories, better characters, more varied gameplay, less 'cloned' games, etc...

It's not really surprising though, if you look at what dominates the 'real' news. Today for example - what's the top story on CNN right now...the uprising in Ukraine? No, that some Canadian douchebag celeb got an impaired. That's what people think is important, so that's where the ratings/hits are. Pissing match after pissing match about which console runs the game better gets more hits than anything else. Like Jason pointed out, sites CAN cover both aspects, but it's pretty clear which gets a lot more attention. Unfortunately that's really our fault, since we're the ones generating the hits.

ProvenD

Banned
It's funny how, IMO, an average game ported over to two consoles has people thinking all games will have huge FPS differences.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't like this. I really hope this turns out to be wrong :/

Yeah this is one thing im scared about.

Yo ProvenD. If they cant even get parity in a shiny upport of a last gen game then how will future games have parity? There WILL be a big gap.

It's funny how, IMO, an average game ported over to two consoles has people thinking all games will have huge FPS differences.

Yeah forget that there is a disparity in resolution between each version of COD: Ghosts,
Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield 4. No, those differences have nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom