• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There's a fairly large difference in remastering a game 10 years later and less than 12 months later, at least to me.

There is. I think that charging full price for a ten year old game is actually worse. I thought that Halo Anniversary was a stretch at $40 and the original was my favorite game that gen.

KiteGr

This game fucking rocks. The only real problem is that it's not about survival, as the ammo was plenty and you never had to eat besides a story sequence.
If they add a survival mode, it'll become a must!

I love how this irritates some people.

1. Some of us abandoned last gen but still miss a few games, this way we can play better version of PS3/360 games we've ditched.

2. These types of quick cash-ins help developers and help fund other projects with little effort.

3. YOU DON'T HAVE TO RE-BUY THE GAME.

Why do people feel the need to crap on something that in NO WAY negatively affects them?

I had a feeling that the production studio would do this, ever since the weak sales figures of the base title were announced earlier this year - I believe it sold marginally better than the previous TR title, but didn't exactly set the world on fire.

If anything, the sales of this "Definitive Edition" aren't going to help other projects, but to help the title's own weak prospects.

The only thing that seems to be improved, from current suggestions, are the graphics. The majority of the DLC (which I bought during the Steam Autumn Sale) are just multiplayer additions with little value. The single-player DLC's also seem to be either frivolous (extra costumes, an extra tomb) or potentially gamebreaking (all the little modifiers that make hunting/shooting much easier for the player - it remains to be seen if these DLC's will also be included).

Dat new face.

cye3sUL.jpg

Can't unsee her wonky eye.

LOL!

Daante

REALLY interested to see how this performs/turns out on PS4 and XB1.

I played a little of this game on my PC (3570k, gtx 760) this past weekend and it looks "next-gen" at "high" settings IMO. Should also be a indicator on how good optimization for PC games that can be done on these two consoles.

In the way that you put it, it doesn't sound like a cash grab. But for the folks who would like a better looking version for their collection and who already bought the game and played it, they are the ones who can't have the definitive version without paying the 60$ premium to own said game. It's kind of like when movie studios get try to get you to double dip when they release a bare-bones version soon after release, then near the holidays or maybe 6-10 months releasing a Deluxe Director's Cut with 9 hours of footage and a figurine for the same price that you payed initially.

It's just hard to swallow I think for supporters of the genre and franchise to be put into a situation where if they want the "Definitive" Edition then their gonna have to pony up and pay for it.

Now, if the publishers would offer a discount upgrade program for those that are willing to mail in their old game and case to the publisher in exchange for a next gen version at a discount price, then I would think that would be more reasonable for the Tomb Raider fan that supported the franchise in early 2013.

Also, not everyone games on Steam.

I am glad that I didn't buy Tomb Raider for PS3 because I can pick up TR PS4 and I'll know that I have the "Definitive" version in my collection until PS5 rolls out; and by then I wouldn't care about any other version that they would have because of the game being old by the PS5's graphical standards most likely.

But for the thousands of folks that bought TR PS360, they are the ones who have to pull out their wallets once again if they want a better version in their home console collection.

Which sucks...
While it IS a bit much for the hardcore fans to swallow, I would have to agree with others saying it's not a huge deal. I don't often use this phrase but "don't like it, don't buy it" applies here. Or maybe, "don't like it, wait for a price drop." This is a first-world problem to the max. The original game is not in any way broken or incomplete. You're only missing out on some "dat graphix" moments by not buying the new one. There's very little you're actually truly missing. It's not a must-buy in any way. It's pure icing for those who've played it before.

Besides, this isn't likely to become a big trend. It's just a product of the cross-gen time frame that only lasts 12-18 months or so.

I hope they remove multi-player trophies from this edition, because multiplayer will be even more dead this time around than it was on the first edition.

As someone who just finished TR last night and now staring down that long list of MP trophies, I am with you on this sentiment. Not that I would expect SE to be remotely progressive in this department, but if they did allow cross-gen play in their MP, that could reinvigorate things for a short while.

Toa TAK

Banned
I hope they remove multi-player trophies from this edition, because multiplayer will be even more dead this time around than it was on the first edition.

Me, too. As someone who's gotten all of the multiplayer achievements on the 360, I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the trouble for them. Especially on this game's multi.

dr_rus

I don't get it.
What's the point in changing Lara's face less than a year after the launch of a reboot which had the face changed already? Who's making these stupid ass decisions and why? You have a shitload of poly pushing power to spend? Increase I dunno a grass LOD or something. A new face? Again? You gotta be fucking joking, Square.

I don't get it.
What's the point in changing Lara's face less than a year after the launch of a reboot which had the face changed already? Who's making these stupid ass decisions and why? You have a shitload of poly pushing power to spend? Increase I dunno a grass LOD or something. A new face? Again? You gotta be fucking joking, Square.

This is the Definitive Face.

The face definitely bothers me. I've wanted to play this game, and even though I have a PS4, I might opt to play the 360 version instead (also, it can be found cheaply now)

After having played Killzone Shadowfall:
68.gif

You don't even notice the light, when you turn the controller to take a look at it, the light is way to bright.

Not sure how people don't see the DS4 light, I can tell what colour it is because it lights up my fingers sitting on the triggers. I actually do use it to see what my health status is in Killzone, no need to turn the controller around.

I don't get it.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I was definitely a little surprised when they said the face was changed.

I don't get it.

Lara's eyes did not look like the renders sometimes. I reckon they wanted to fix that.... . Of course, can't be sure until we have more references.

Pimpbaa

I dunno if I like the new face more, but it does seem to be high poly. They probably got more complex facial animation to go along with it. Also why didn't they just make a sequel? This seems like a waste of time and money.

Ghazi

she was always both.

why can't an archaeologist look like a supermodel?

Well, that was shortsighted of me to say. I didn't mean to imply that, I was meaning about all the dirt she got on her in the game, and how she looks much, much cleaner now and her mascara seems to have survived through a ton as well.

e: I know that gif is from very early in the game, but still, she was much more muddied at that point of the game in comparison to that gif

Amir0x

Banned
Well, that was shortsighted of me to say. I didn't mean to imply that, I was meaning about all the dirt she got on her in the game, and how she looks much, much cleaner now and her mascara seems to have survived through a ton as well.

That's true, although I can't recall if there is a moment in the original game where she isn't as bloody and muddy. I don't think so but then again I tried to erase my time with the game from my mind after I posted my review so it could have a moment like that...

Ghazi

That's true, although I can't recall if there is a moment in the original game where she isn't as bloody and muddy. I don't think so but then again I tried to erase my time with the game from my mind after I posted my review so it could have a moment like that...

I can't think of a time either, I only started the game last week, but I feel like I distinctly remember her being grimier in the original version.

Game looks really nice though, and I've put my play through on hold as I think I'd like to get this if I get a PS4 or Xbox One in Jan. I wished they did a MP overhaul though, I haven't played it myself yet, but I've heard it's pretty bad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If i've never played this previously is it worth $60? Looks great.

Would you you pay full price for something in the vein of an uncharted game? If so I think you'd love this.

a lot of the people saying it's not worth full price have already played it and/or are butt hurt that the game wasn't tomb raider anniversary.

Toa TAK

Banned
Also I like how they aim to de-sexually objectify Lara but there‘s so many boob and ass shots in the trailer it‘s ridiculous.

I was just thinking about that earlier rewatching the trailer.

Gotta make people (re) buy the game somehow.

I'm doing it GAF: #oldlara

Top Bottom