• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

Linconan

Damn. I was hoping for a real Tomb Raider.
Not buying this one again.

Make a real Tomb Raider again please, hell, remake/*coughport Anniversary then. And leave the Uncharted competition at the door.

h27j253.png

no tress fx?

Ntsouls

Banned
I thought the game was amazing. It could have used a little more survival. But anyways. It's amazing and will be something I'll buy. I don't mind paying for it. I never paid for it before.

R-User!

Lara's distinctive face was one of the most striking facets of the original game's art design. I'm rather surprised anyone who had already played it needed to be told which was which.

I wouldn't pay $60 for it; but I understand why some would. 1080p is a major upgrade for console players, and a lot of us really enjoyed the game. Can't wait for a sequel.

But why support the upgraded game at the sixty dollar price tag?

Why should anyone that has paid full price for the game and played it already pay the same price for the same game when the only difference is a visual upgrade of the same content? Why not wait for it to drop in price and at the same time let the game makers know that you're not willing to pay 120 dollars for 1 gameplay experience (albeit a prettier one)?

I can see why someone like me (who has not bought or played the game yet) would shell out the normal "full price ($60)" for the Nat1080P version, but is there any reason to pay that same price again other than to have the newer better looking/performing game in your hands and in your system on day one? Wouldn't it be better all around to wait then buy?

Just curious? :/ Seems like a strange cash grab by the publishers to recoup their "losses" from not meeting their projected targets to me...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks like a lot of guesswork to me, have any sources?
They did say in press release for example that subsurface shader is used in the new version, and it's true, you can see it very clearly even on these crappy screens. Not even PC version had that, so characters's skin looked more plasticy. They also very obviously use a much more complex eyes shaders here.

oVerde

Banned
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about TreeFX? I know it's good, but just to give Lara a hair conditioner isn't quite like something really visually appealing, even less if you take into account on how much hardware expensive it is. Doesn't worth.

Aske

Why should anyone that has paid full price for the game and played it already pay the same price for the same game when the only difference is a visual upgrade of the same content? Why not wait for it to drop in price and at the same time let the game makers know that you're not willing to pay 120 dollars for 1 gameplay experience (albeit a prettier one)?

I can see why someone like me (who has not bought or played the game yet) would shell out the normal "full price ($60)" for the Nat1080P version, but is there any reason to pay that same price again other than to have the newer better looking/performing game in your hands and in your system on day one? Wouldn't it be better all around to wait then buy?

Just curious? :/ Seems like a strange cash grab by the publishers to recoup their "losses" from not meeting their projected targets to me...

It's certainly a cash grab, but if people are happy to pay the day one premium for the game rather than wait a few months for a price drop, then the content on offer is worth the asking price to them by definition. That's true of any game. Plenty of people have $60 to burn, and are desperate for new gen software. If they feel the upgrades to TR justify the day one price, it's their money. I've bought dozens of games on release day because I didn't want to wait eight to twelve weeks in the hopes of a $20 saving.

I agree that it's not a great message to send to publishers, but I can think of far worse ones. And I suspect only a tiny percentage of those day one copies will be sold to double-dippers. Most consumers don't even finish single player campaigns once, much less play them twice. The vast majority will be sold to people who skipped the game the first time around.

timlot

Banned
This means the PS4 version will probably have a higher frame rate and the same resolution.

Insteresting... What would that higher frame rate be? 60fps? For a third person adventure game. I'd like to believe it but Knack says otherwise. I was suprised NFS rival isn't 60fps on PS4. It will probably be more stable on PS4.

someday

Banned
This works for me since I didn't buy or play this sooner. Depending on when it's released it may be a day 1 buy for my PS4.

Insteresting... What would that higher frame rate be? 60fps? For a third person adventure game. I'd like to believe it but Knack says otherwise. I was suprised NFS rival isn't 60fps on PS4. It will probably be more stable on PS4.

There probably won't be a framerate difference. Both will probably be locked to 30. The PS4 may be more powerful but it's not double the framerate more powerful.

Not a fan of bobblehead Lara?

It's not that, man. It's the hair

Nizz

Can someone please explain why ports like this bother some people so much?
I feel the same way often. If you have already played the game and enjoyed it and don't feel the need to get this edition of it then that's perfectly fine. This version is for people like me who may have missed out on it the first time. Or for someone who may want to play it with the new visual improvements.

I personally like having this game ported over to the new machines because most likely from here on out the next game in the series will only be on PS4/XB1. I like having a series from the start all on the same system. I'm also hoping ports of the Witcher 1 and 2 and the Crysis series make their way to my PS4.

tbm24

I don't see why people feel the need to interpret stuff like this as a cash grab. If you've bought it once before, then good you don't need to buy this one. And to anyone who wants to play it and doesn't want to pay potentially $60? TR is $10 on steam right now I believe. People have their options. If I don't really care about spending $60 if that's what they price this version then so be it.

R-User!

I don't see why people feel the need to interpret stuff like this as a cash grab. If you've bought it once before, then good you don't need to buy this one. And to anyone who wants to play it and doesn't want to pay potentially $60? TR is $10 on steam right now I believe. People have their options. If I don't really care about spending $60 if that's what they price this version then so be it.

In the way that you put it, it doesn't sound like a cash grab. But for the folks who would like a better looking version for their collection and who already bought the game and played it, they are the ones who can't have the definitive version without paying the 60$ premium to own said game. It's kind of like when movie studios get try to get you to double dip when they release a bare-bones version soon after release, then near the holidays or maybe 6-10 months releasing a Deluxe Director's Cut with 9 hours of footage and a figurine for the same price that you payed initially.

It's just hard to swallow I think for supporters of the genre and franchise to be put into a situation where if they want the "Definitive" Edition then their gonna have to pony up and pay for it.

Now, if the publishers would offer a discount upgrade program for those that are willing to mail in their old game and case to the publisher in exchange for a next gen version at a discount price, then I would think that would be more reasonable for the Tomb Raider fan that supported the franchise in early 2013.

Also, not everyone games on Steam.

I am glad that I didn't buy Tomb Raider for PS3 because I can pick up TR PS4 and I'll know that I have the "Definitive" version in my collection until PS5 rolls out; and by then I wouldn't care about any other version that they would have because of the game being old by the PS5's graphical standards most likely.

But for the thousands of folks that bought TR PS360, they are the ones who have to pull out their wallets once again if they want a better version in their home console collection.

Which sucks...

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Yes, let's take that one poorly coded, rushed game that has no excuse running that poorly and consider it the standard for the console despite practically every other software for the system running better.
When are you going to start making sense?

Not a fan of the new face. I prefer te PC lighting more. Not saying the new lighting isn't good. Just that I prefer the aesthetics if the PC version more.

I like the redesign, it also looks really impressive joined with the improved shaders and lighting. That one picture of Lara at night has a CGI look to it and if this model is representative of her next gen look then I can't wait to see how far they push the visuals overall for the PS4 sequel.

Will be getting this as I loved it on PS3.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I missed out on this on PS3 so I'm chuffed I'll be able to play a better version. I don't understand the bitching about 'double dipping' as the onus is on you whether to buy it a second time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Why should anyone that has paid full price for the game and played it already pay the same price for the same game when the only difference is a visual upgrade of the same content? Why not wait for it to drop in price and at the same time let the game makers know that you're not willing to pay 120 dollars for 1 gameplay experience (albeit a prettier one)?.

The price bothers me.
That said, I don't remember anyone complaining about the price of Wind Waker HD.

Bollocks

The game will also make use of the lights on the Sony console's Dualshock 4 controller.

After having played Killzone Shadowfall:
68.gif

You don't even notice the light, when you turn the controller to take a look at it, the light is way to bright.

Top Bottom