• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Danny-Boy

Just finished it. It gets slightly better as you go along. But shit man, felt like there was zero puzzles. I figured out everything in no time. It was all too obvious. Nobody is going to lose game time trying to figure out the way forward. There's more platforming towards the end but it was way too easy and again, way too obvious.

Lara grows on you but the supporting cast is forgettable. The main villain is crap.

If you look past the older Tomb Raider games, and accept this game as a close enough but not as good as Uncharted, it comes out as a good game on its own.

8/10.

K' Dash

is anyone else experiencing an VERY slow download from Steam? I mean I left it downloading yesterday all day and all night and it was 90% when I woke up today :/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Textures are sharper indeed, the 360 looks almost "washed out" in comparison.
when I downloaded gamersydes vid of the 360 version someone in the comments said it looks Sub-HD, it looked alright to me although I haven't seen the PlayStation 3 version to compare, DF is late on this one
There appears to be brightness issue with the 360 footage. It's noticeable brighter and so makes the game look almost washed out in comparison.
like I said above, its noticeable in gamersydes vid too, wasn't TR:U like this too though?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There appears to be brightness issue with the 360 footage. It's noticeable brighter and so makes the game look almost washed out in comparison.

The 360 version is indeed brighter, but the textures still look blurrier. I think the 360 version has some better detail in the far-off textures, but up close they look kinda vaseline-y. I'm leaning towards getting this on PS3 now.

when I downloaded gamersydes vid of the 360 version someone in the comments said it looks Sub-HD, it looked alright to me although I haven't seen the PlayStation 3 version to compare, DF is late on this one

Hmm you're right, the Gamersyde 360 video does look pretty sharp.

Firefights are definitely the weakest aspect of the game. They should stick with stealth kill instead of full firefights.

Yeah, the combat can be really enjoyable when you're able to pick off a few enemies silently and then get creative in how you choose to dispose of the rest. Or in those set piece moments where things move fast.

But when there are endless waves of enemies throwing fire bombs and you're scrambling between cover and you can't see shit because there is dirt and blood all over the screen... yeah, not so fun.

like I said above, its noticeable in gamersydes vid too, wasn't TR:U like this too though?

Underworld? The last Tomb Raider I played was Anniversary and there weren't many issues with visuals that I can recall.

The 360 version is indeed brighter, but the textures still look blurrier. I think the 360 version has some better detail in the far-off textures, but up close they look kinda vaseline-y. I'm leaning towards getting this on PS3 now.

You're right. There is a noticeable blur with the 360 footage. It being sub-hd might explain it. Hopefully Digital Foundry will post a comparison before Tuesday.

RS4-

Just picked up the game. I've never finished a Tombraider game. Didn't really care for the franchise. But I've got nothing else to play for the next few days

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Just finished it , was a fun experience. They couldn't make it more obvious that there will be a sequel. Hope for a desert setting in the next game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has this been posted yet?

Tomb Raider 360 vs. PS3 comparison

Is it me or does the PS3 version seem to have sharper textures? I have a pre-order down for the 360 version but I might just switch it over to PS3 if this video is to be believed.

Yeah this was posted before as well, but I wouldn't put much stock into it. The video is a little too bright, like they're not using the Expanded color settings in their HDMI options. Might wanna wait for Digital Foundry for accurate comparisons.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this was posted before as well, but I wouldn't put much stock into it. The video is a little too bright, like they're not using the Expanded color settings in their HDMI options. Might wanna wait for Digital Foundry for accurate comparisons.

Yeah, well I'm trying to figure out which version to pre-order so I can't really afford to wait for the DF comparison, since those generally come out a few days to a few weeks after the game is released.

TGO

Underworld? The last Tomb Raider I played was Anniversary and there weren't many issues with visuals that I can recall.

You're right. There is a noticeable blur with the 360 footage. It being sub-hd might explain it. Hopefully Digital Foundry will post a comparison before Tuesday.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article?page=4
Underworld was Sub-HD on 360 according to that, it might be the same here, might explain it
Has Nixxes done the PS3 version for Tomb Raider too?

Mononoke

Banned
Does anyone know when Tomb Raider PC is available, if you use a Korean VPN?

EDIT: Pretty sure it's Monday in the morning 7am (US west coast time). At least, I think that's how it worked for Crysis 3. Can't remember exactly.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article?page=4
Underworld was Sub-HD on 360 according to that, it might be the same here, might explain it

I'm pretty sure Nixxes is doing the port for the current Tomb Raider as well.

The evidence is piling up. I just canceled my Microsoft Store pre-order. Will probably put in a Gamestop PS3 pre-order before the day is over.

To anyone who has played through the Gamestop-exclusive tomb, is it significant? Or is it just a tiny 10-minute puzzle?

adamsapple

One of the guys at beyond3d confirmed this was 720p + post process anti aliasing.

this is a modified version of the Deus Ex iteration of Crystal Dynamic's engine, which was 720p + FXAA on 360 and 720p + MLAA on PS3, this is not the old technology.

TGO

Thanks for the link. Would be surprising if the version they demoed at E3, etc is the one that turns out to be sub-hd.

might not even be sub-hd might 720p, but Nixxes seem to pull of better results then CD does when they port, the only question is performance
what engine did TR:U use
edit, Thanks chandoog

on that note it must be something Nixxes has done while porting, or the FXAA may be the reason behind it
I don't know lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
One of the guys at beyond3d confirmed this was 720p + post process anti aliasing.

this is a modified version of the Deus Ex iteration of Crystal Dynamic's engine, which was 720p + FXAA on 360 and 720p + MLAA on PS3, this is not the old technology.

According to the DF Face Off of Human Revolution, it looks like the FXAA on 360 gives off a slight blurry look to the image but has better edge smoothing than the PS3 version, which doesn't look blurry but has slightly jaggier edges. I'd much rather have a clean, unblurred image than a few jaggies here and there honestly.

Of course that's assuming the same method is used for Tomb Raider.

adamsapple

According to the DF Face Off of Human Revolution, it looks like the FXAA on 360 gives off a slight blurry look to the image but has better edge smoothing than the PS3 version, which doesn't look blurry but has slightly jaggier edges. I'd much rather have a clean, unblurred image than a few jaggies here and there honestly.

Of course that's assuming the same method is used for Tomb Raider.

Very true. But as I said, this video you've posted was noted in the review topic before as well, a user even posted his own direct snap from the 360 version after that to show that the game doesn't look as bright or as washed out as the video made it seem. see here

if you go by Deus Ex, both versions will probably be very close, but the exact nitty gritty won't be revealed till the digital foundry comparison.

There's also some more direct captures from the 360 you can see here, image quality isn't the sharpest thing we've ever seen, but the game simply oozes in atmosphere.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Very true. But as I said, this video you've posted was noted in the review topic before as well, a user even posted his own direct snap from the 360 version after that to show that the game doesn't look as bright or as washed out as the video made it seem. see here

if you go by Deus Ex, both versions will probably be very close, but the exact nitty gritty won't be revealed till the digital foundry comparison.

There's also some more direct captures from the 360 you can see here, image quality isn't the sharpest thing we've ever seen, but the game simply oozes in atmosphere.

You ain't kidding, the game's atmosphere is incredible. Those 360 shots do look good too.

Eh, I'll figure out which version to pre-order later today; I'll wait for some more impressions.

Umi88

TGO

yeah I been over Beyond3D, only mentioned the 360 version though, game does looks lush either way
Deus Ex engine? thats a nice engine

Edit: I feel sorry for ya ilnadmy lol
luckily I don't have a 360 to give me the headache of which one to get, hated that in the 16-bit era lol

No. Nixxes is also handling the PS3 version.

Yeah, looks like you're right. I was just basing it off of their website, and that only mentions that they're working on the PC port. I'm actually much happier knowing that they handled the PS3 version instead of CD.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_misncjwO4Q1qi0854o2_1280.png

Hmm.

Edit: I feel sorry for ya ilnadmy lol
luckily I don't have a 360 to give me the headache of which one to get, hated that in the 16-bit era lol

Haha thanks. I always have a crisis of conscience when deciding which version of a multiplat to get. WHY IS IT SO HARD??!?!?!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The PS3 allows multiple save paths for saving? And the saves aren't locked, right? If you're an old school gamer you know to make multiple saves, and back them up in multiple places. I don't trust any game, triple A or not. Why the cloud is so invaluable for locked saves as well.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You know, is it me or has seeing her all covered in blood and being borderline broken is just something we are no longer phased about from this generation due to the amount of gore and violence that's been done in previous games? I mean, just looking at that picture above, it kind of makes me feel a bit uneasy if you try to think of it on a reality bases. Pretty interesting element this game has got for it if you just think about it for a few seconds.

Tigel

Are Nixxes pretty good at porting past games to other consoles? Is the PS3 version good?
They are good. For what we've seen so far, the PS3 version seems to be sharper than the 360 version. It was also the case with TR: Underworld which Nixxes also handled. They have a good track record.

TGO

tumblr_misncjwO4Q1qi0854o2_1280.png

Hmm.

Haha thanks. I always have a crisis of conscience when deciding which version of a multiplat to get. WHY IS IT SO HARD??!?!?!

Dat grass....it is grass right? lol
don't know, it looks more then just brightness.....actually I'd say those a pretty much the same brightness wise, it actually detail & sharpness
and didn't someone say far away stuff looks more detailed on 360? cuz it don't in that image

They are good. For what we've seen so far, the PS3 version seems to be sharper than the 360 version. It was also the case with TR: Underworld which Nixxes also handled. They have a good track record.

That's reassuring.

Like others though, I do want to see what Digital Foundry has to say, just to see the difference. But it's good to know that either version will be good.

PC best of course.

Top Bottom