• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Mixed bag. The PS3 version of Underworld ran at a higher resolution, but the frame rate was pretty rough as a result. They are pretty well regarded though.

Hmm, ok. If the PS3 version has framerate issues, I guess it's the classic what's better situation, "Better Framerate VS Sharper Visuals."

Tough choice. Would love to see the game with nicer visuals, but this is an action intensive game. If it was an JRPG, I'd go with lower framerate and better visuals.

wouwie

Mixed bag. The PS3 version of Underworld ran at a higher resolution, but the frame rate was pretty rough as a result. They are pretty well regarded though.

I rarely stop playing games due to technical issues (framerate,...) but i remember being really dissapointed with Underworld on PS3. The framerate was bad at times. It was a poor port in the sense that the framerate hindered the gameplay (jerky controls at times).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hmm, ok. If the PS3 version has framerate issues, I guess it's the classic what's better situation, "Better Framerate VS Sharper Visuals."

While I realize some people do make their multiplatform purchase decisions using that criteria..I wonder if when they actually are playing the game they pause or stop playing and think "fuck me, I'm so smart for having picked these sharper visuals over framerate."

DieH@rd

Banned
It's unbelievable. Did you start over or do you wait for a patch?

Waiting. :(

The PS3 allows multiple save paths for saving? And the saves aren't locked, right? If you're an old school gamer you know to make multiple saves, and back them up in multiple places. I don't trust any game, triple A or not. Why the cloud is so invaluable for locked saves as well.

Nope, you get 4 save slots, but each one is for different playthroughts. When you play, game is saved at automatic checkpoints, and if something go wrong you cannot go back to some previous save. If you encounter game breaking bug, you're screwed on both systems.

Frillen

I'm the shantytown area now, and fuck it if I'm hit with one of those glitches. CD better have a solution for this ready to come out on Tuesday, otherwise there's going to a lot angry people.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Waiting. :(

Nope, you get 4 save slots, but each one is for different playthroughts. When you play, game is saved at automatic checkpoints, and if something go wrong you cannot go back to some previous save. If you encounter game breaking bug, you're screwed on both systems.

Thanks for clearing that up. No option to create multiple save files? Terrible. Odd for SE, their games usually do allow it.

Dahbomb

So it's like Darksiders 2. And that game had it's fair share of game breaking bugs.

Eidos/CD have always developed Tomb Raider games this gen with PS3 strengths in mind. Tomb Raider: Underworld for example is also clearly superior on the PS3.

Grisby

Eidos/CD have always developed Tomb Raider games this gen with PS3 strengths in mind. Tomb Raider: Underworld for example is also clearly superior on the PS3.
I thought PS3 Underworld was actually missing some effects from the Xbox one, like motion blur or something.
I'm the shantytown area now, and fuck it if I'm hit with one of those glitches. CD better have a solution for this ready to come out on Tuesday, otherwise there's going to a lot angry people.
What is the glitch?

I don't see how that is possible when CD only makes the 360 version and leaves Nixxes to salvage a port.

a shitty framerate is superior?

Didn't know Nixxes did the port and I don't know if Underworlds port was also done by Nixxes. All I remember is that Underworld looked noticably better ok the PS3, just sayin'.

Question, feel free to spoiler tag it, but does TR's classis theme appear in the game?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ekipC2ANs

This soundrack always gives me chills. Man I loved the good ol' PS1 days.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought PS3 Underworld was actually missing some effects from the Xbox one, like motion blur or something.

What is the glitch?
otherway around
Tomb_Raider_360_006.jpg.jpg

Tomb_Raider_PS3_006.jpg.jpg

Tomb_Raider_360_001.jpg.jpg

Tomb_Raider_PS3_001.jpg.jpg

both had a load up glitch.

Alex

I'm hearing such good things about this, I hope I wind up enjoying it half as much as some people I know are.

Sounds like there would be good potential for some kind of tomb-dlc? Something like ME3 did with story DLC, maybe?

Yeah, I hear the Tombs are pretty great stuff, if they are I wouldn't mind some addons or mini-expansions surrounding them.

Eideka

Banned
I'm going to stop here for now, 4 hours on PS3 so far and that's definitely a quality game. I always had faith in what CD could do with a new direction and I was right, I can't be adamant just yet but it's likely that this TR is going to impress me a lot more than Uncharted 3 which bored me to death.

GrayFoxPL

I can't speak for DieH@rd, but I was 13-14 Hours in. 80% Complete and picked up all the stupid collectibles. I sure hop they fix this via Patch.

Why they don't find those glitches during play-test is beyond me.

Oh man, that's some bullshit. I think I'll wait before buying.

Maybe they did find the glitch but publishers rush devs more and more, so release it with mind of the upcoming necessary patch.

Derrick01

Banned
I can't speak for DieH@rd, but I was 13-14 Hours in. 80% Complete and picked up all the stupid collectibles. I sure hop they fix this via Patch.

Why they don't find those glitches during play-test is beyond me.

Delay the game to fix it or ship it and patch it later? That's the era we live in now.

Truth be told I may even prefer the ship and patch method since I still get to play the game earlier than the delay method. It helps that it has been over two decades since I've run into a legit progress stopping bug. I've had a couple of minor side quests in RPGs bug out on me over the years but nothing story required.

Oh man, that's some bullshit. I think I'll wait before buying.

Maybe they did find the glitch but publishers rush devs more and more, so release it with mind of the upcoming necessary patch.

It does suck but plenty of people have played past these parts no problem, myself included so yeah. Hopefully they find out what the variable is that is causing it.

Firefights are definitely the weakest aspect of the game. They should stick with stealth kill instead of full firefights.

Yeah, the combat can be really enjoyable when you're able to pick off a few enemies silently and then get creative in how you choose to dispose of the rest. Or in those set piece moments where things move fast.

But when there are endless waves of enemies throwing fire bombs and you're scrambling between cover and you can't see shit because there is dirt and blood all over the screen... yeah, not so fun.

Ew. Anyone else that has played the game feel like this?

TheExodu5

Banned
Surprised to see the PS3 version looks a fair bit better than the 360 version. I'm wondering if it's a difference in texture quality or if the 360 version may be running at a lower resolution. Judging from the lower quality foliage, I'd say that might be the case.

Jedi2016

Should be interesting to see the DF showdown on this one. I'm also kind of surprised to see how much sharper the PS3 version looks (it's usually the other way 'round). I'm not sure if it's strictly a resolution problem or if the PS3 is just using a better AA solution that doesn't futz the image so much.

I don't think B3D's gotten a hold of it yet, either.

Any idea what AA options are available on PC? Wonder if it's got some good ones built-in or if I'll want to try injecting SMAA or something.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Should be interesting to see the DF showdown on this one. I'm also kind of surprised to see how much sharper the PS3 version looks (it's usually the other way 'round). I'm not sure if it's strictly a resolution problem or if the PS3 is just using a better AA solution that doesn't futz the image so much.

I don't think B3D's gotten a hold of it yet, either.

Any idea what AA options are available on PC? Wonder if it's got some good ones built-in or if I'll want to try injecting SMAA or something.

In Deus Ex Human Revolution, which I believe is the base engine used for this game, 360 uses FXAA and PS3 uses MLAA. Deus Ex also showed a little more blurriness in the 360 version, so I'm guessing that's what's happening here.

Hixx

Ew. Anyone else that has played the game feel like this?

I'm like 90% through, playing on hard, and the combat can be very fun but sometimes you can basically get stunned to death. Fire bombs stagger you a bit and, maybe this is just on hard, but so do rifles and arrows so its possible to get downed quickly and you're not able to retaliate. rare but it's happened a couple of times to me.

agree that picking people off silently is a lot more fun though.

seady

I am not a big fan of Uncharted series - thought it is too linear/scripted, and the characters and story are way too cheesey and superhuman-like too be relatable.

Having played 3 hours of this game I'd say I love this way more than Uncharted. There are more exploration to do in this game, and Lara is much more human than Drake is. Yes the character development of Lara kinda contradicts with the her gameplay style, but still the whole story is more easy to get absorbed into.

~Kinggi~

Banned
If the ps3 version is clearly superior it seems suspect why they didnt send out any ps3 copies for review and only did 360. Maybe there are framerate differences and whatnot. I know 360 underworld ran at a slightly lower res than the ps3, but the framerate was better and it had motion blur applied where ps3 didnt.

Nemesis_

I c you not playing the game
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

A recurring theme in this thread
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

Just finished it. It's fucking fantastic,

ibqN71yO96eGJd.gif

but I want to do a proper write up on my thoughts when I have had a good night's sleep (It's 4am). The endgame is very climactic and I loved the way they did it.

If anyone has any questions I'll endeavor to answer them when I do my mini write-up. Let me know!

yBipJjfl.jpg

Somewhat shocked to find ZERO unlockables.

Frillen

Yeah, I hear the Tombs are pretty great stuff, if they are I wouldn't mind some addons or mini-expansions surrounding them.

The tombs are great, but incredible short. Most are like 5 minutes and even shorter if you figure out the puzzle immediately.

Kyon

Banned
I c you not playing the game
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

Oh you just reminded me of why I'm in here lol

Should I get this? Like I Stan TR but this looks too much like Uncharted and like UC is pretty and all but the shooting and stuff I ain't here for that. Plus Lara is a legend and I Stan ha so... Um I pre ordered Naruto UNS3 and was wondering if I should get this instead....

Is this a game for original TR fans?

They said Dead Space 3 had framerate issues on PS3 as well, and I only encountered anything like that twice during the entire game. Technical issues are often overblown by Xbox fanboys. Get the game on the platform you like.

~Kinggi~

Banned
With the sheer amount of people here playing this game early and already beating it, gotta wonder how many are pirates and how many actually managed to find a seller. Really annoying.

Top Bottom