• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider reboot (PC, PS3, 360) site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobsRevenge said:
I thought Underworld's were fine. Maybe not as athletic as they might realistically be for someone that active, but they weren't outrageous or anything.

The later Tomb Raiders pretty clearly pushed Lara's design in a more Angelina direction, which meant replacing a ridiculous and physically impossible design with a clearly physically plausible yet still so rare as to be effectively unrealistic one. :lol

(Actually the real problem with the Underworld design isn't the size of the breasts, it's that idiotic shirt.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
2 I think

Two, yes. Unless you count Angel of Darkness's design.

Core series: 1-5
CD: Breaks off. Legend (1) Anni (remake of TR1/Core), Underworld (3), Guardian (Gaiden/Side Story)
CD2: This game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Varna said:
Whoa. Any link to this rumor? This could be awesome.

From the other thread, from an older thread. Find that older thread if you want to read the rumors...

EatChildren said:
We had some leaked art.

tombraider3lgiz.jpg

tombraider2wgg5.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

GeekyDad said:
If that's supposed to be Lara, she looks like an underage boy.

You're the latest, so I select you to be interrogated about this. Why do you not know what men and women look like? Were you raised in a cult? Did you only recently miraculously recover the ability to see after a lifetime of blindness?

Haunted

badcrumble said:
Yeah. And it's also the reason why a whole lot of women stay the fuck away from gaming.
It's pretty sad, actually.

Some people can be happy I'm not a mod right now. I think I've gleaned a touch of that zero tolerance policy from Dragona. :lol

Pachimari

Wait, so if this is the ninth game in the series, which one of these doesn't count?

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (4)
Tomb Raider: Chronicles (5)
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (6)
Tomb Raider: Legend (7)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - I guess this is the one?
Tomb Raider: Underworld (8)
Tomb Raider (9)

Dennis

Banned
I hope they don't ruin this fantastic design by giving her ridiculous breasts.

Let her be beautiful and athletic without the dumb boob focus.

Lucius86

Banned
Well if the new artwork is meant to renew attention to the franchise - it's worked for me.

:lol at the people who think she looks like a boy. Really? Do you need DD+ boobs to confirm Lara is a woman??

I remain hopeful for the title.

apana

I don't like it but I'm not gonna hate either, I can see why a lot of peole would enjoy the design. I think it will depend on how they follow through with the rest of the project.

Nizz

charlequin said:
You're the latest, so I select you to be interrogated about this. Why do you not know what men and women look like? Were you raised in a cult? Did you only recently miraculously recover the ability to see after a lifetime of blindness?
:lol :lol Fuck man!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Anastacio said:
Wait, so if this is the ninth game in the series, which one of these doesn't count?

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (4)
Tomb Raider: Chronicles (5)
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (6)
Tomb Raider: Legend (7)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - I guess this is the one?
Tomb Raider: Underworld (8)
Tomb Raider (9)
Isn't Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light part of the main series?

And why would a reboot be apart of the main series?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:
I hope they don't ruin this fantastic design by giving her ridiculous breasts.

Let her be beautiful and athletic without the dumb boob focus.
Laura is well endowed. Deal with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DeathNote said:
Isn't Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light part of the main series? And why would a reboot be apart of the main series?
Crystal Dynamics very specifically insisted that it was a Lara Croft game instead of a Tomb Raider game.

DeathNote said:
Isn't Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light part of the main series? And why with this reboot be apart of the main series?
well, depends when it's set. since she's on the island sans tech, that could make it a prequel rather than a reboot technically.

i'm not up enough on the lore of the Tomb Raider games, but isn't this whole plane crash on an island thing referenced elsewhere in the series?

Ellis Kim said:
I do not understand this. What about her jaw is ultra masculine in the GI cover? What, exactly? Both renders are exactly the same sans bloody scratches and dirt.

Why do people always latch onto this? Its like somekind of weird immature perception of what makes a woman's face beautiful.

I mean, hell, while we're on the subject, maybe we should take a poll on GAF's opinion on Elena Fisher from Uncharted

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1024&bih=587&q=elena+fisher

11180-elena_drakes_large.jpg

and yes, I looked for the least complementary picture on purpose.
*sigh*

is this brand petulant white-knighting some kind of innate desire to defend any and all women (real or otherwise) so as to make up for some kind of lacking in other areas of your life? despite finding some kind of flaw or issue with the art, i've expressed that i enjoy both renditions. apparently i'm "immature" because i can act like an adult.

on the GI cover, the straighter edge to the right-side of her jaw (assuming the other is the same since we can't see it as well) gives the appearance of a more masculine jaw-line. the other artwork her jaw-line is much more of a smooth curve from her ear to her chin. i apologize if being attracted to women who are not made of straight-lines makes me "immature".

Pooya

charlequin said:
(Actually the real problem with the Underworld design isn't the size of the breasts, it's that idiotic shirt.)
I hope they drop that classic outfit too, it always looked ridiculous and with this new realistic direction would look even more ridiculous. Some of the concept arts suggest that they are doing this.

Kittonwy

Banned
Larson Conway said:
I think where all the androgynous comments are coming from is the fact that she has a pronounced jawline and a nose that isn't necessarily identifiably feminine. It lends to her character actually; her lips are very feminine, innocent and sweet and yet her face as a whole makes her look tough. I love it.

That's so creepy when you're talking about a videogame character.
Indifferent2.gif

Ellis Kim

Banned
Takuan said:
You're blind. There's definitely a difference, it's obvious in the nose and jaw.

I think I prefer the first. Makes her look tougher, tomboyish but still beautiful. I can see the androgyny, but meh!
Ok, so there are SLIGHT differences in the hair, but that's it! There is no difference in her facial structure between either render that makes her look more "boyish" or "masculine" in either. They're the damn same (outside of difference in expression).

124zus2.jpg

GeekyDad said:
If that's supposed to be Lara, she looks like an underage boy. And why is there an age gate for the site?

Man...neither Capcom nor Eidos seem to have great ideas when it comes to "rebooting" a franchise (see Devil May Cry for details).
wow...

badcrumble said:
Yeah. And it's also the reason why a whole lot of women stay the fuck away from gaming.
Makes me so sad, yet its so true.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm liking the new Lara design. I'm excited to see how she actually looks in-game. She really needed a new realistic and more proportionate look. Even though they reduced her breast size for the newer games, I still felt a little embarrassed by it. Lara was treated as a sex symbol. She is (was?) so iconic, it just made video games feel that much more immature compared to other media. Obviously this is present in all media, but I can't think of a single other female lead of a game that's as well known as Lara.

I played a little bit of the original Tomb Raider when it came out, but only became a fan of the series with Anniversary or Legend. I can't remember which one I played first. I remember reading about Underworld and the changes they were supposedly making. Maybe I had just misread something but I had the impression Underworld was going to be more open. I enjoyed the game, but it felt pretty similar to the other ones.

With this new game, I don't mind what they change as long as there's still plenty of traversal/platforming and puzzle solving.

Ellis Kim said:
Ok, so there are SLIGHT differences in the hair, but that's it! There is no difference in her facial structure between either render that makes her look more "boyish" or "masculine" in either. They're the damn same (outside of difference in expression).

http://i53.tinypic.com/124zus2.jpg

wow...

Makes me so sad, yet its so true.

Are you blind? Look at the jaw and cheekbones.

Akainu

Haunted said:
It's pretty sad, actually.

Some people can be happy I'm not a mod right now. I think I've gleaned a touch of that zero tolerance policy from Dragona. :lol
So you'd ban people because they like androgynous women? And that makes you think you come off the bigger man/woman?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
plagiarize said:
well, depends when it's set. since she's on the island sans tech, that could make it a prequel rather than a reboot technically.

i'm not up enough on the lore of the Tomb Raider games, but isn't this whole plane crash on an island thing referenced elsewhere in the series?
i uh... never played a tomb raider game aside from the Tomb Raider: Legend 360 demo

don't hate me.

evangd007

Did they just dudebro-ify Lara Croft? smh.

The fact that the concept art is combat and enemy designs gives me pause too. Isn't this an adventure series? Where the star of the show is the environments to explore?

Zen

Banned
Neuromancer said:
If I can't see boobs, I have no way of assessing whether a person is a woman or not.

Jesus :lol

Anyway, the new design looks pretty good. I can totally see them going for a mix of Deadspace (that sort of gory and viceral style of physical interaction) and Uncharted (Graphics style/quality in a gritty setting).

Loving the idea, since Tomb Raider has usually felt too plastic to me. I want to see a Lara Croft game that makes the environment and interactions feel weighty and real.

I think the new Lara looks awesome.. I cant wait for whatever adventure we have coming.

edit: that render of Lara is amazing real.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
*sigh*

is this brand petulant white-knighting some kind of innate desire to defend any and all women (real or otherwise) so as to make up for some kind of lacking in other areas of your life? despite finding some kind of flaw or issue with the art, i've expressed that i enjoy both renditions. apparently i'm "immature" because i can act like an adult.

on the GI cover, the straighter edge to the right-side of her jaw (assuming the other is the same since we can't see it as well) gives the appearance of a more masculine jaw-line. the other artwork her jaw-line is much more of a smooth curve from her ear to her chin. i apologize if being attracted to women who are not made of straight-lines makes me "immature".
You have got to be kidding me.

Look at the comparison. The perception of a "curved jaw" is entire based on the lighting and her wet skin.

Both renders are exactly the fucking same, people, with the SMALLEST of non-facial bone structure related differences.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The only thing that I was embarrassed about in Tomb Raider Underworld was the fact that I purposefully chose the more revealing outfits, even when it didn't make sense for the location. :lol

:\

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DeathNote said:
Isn't Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light part of the main series?

And why would a reboot be apart of the main series?
They specifically named it Lara Croft and not Tomb Raider because it isn't a part of the main series at all.

Kittonwy said:
That's so creepy when you're talking about a videogame character.
Indifferent2.gif
:lol

BobsRevenge said:
The only thing that I was embarrassed about in Tomb Raider Underworld was the fact that I purposefully chose the more revealing outfits, even when it didn't make sense for the location. :lol

:\
:lol :lol

Zen

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

Maybe slightly, but it looks a lot more like an effect of the light and how messed up her face is in the render, combined with it actually having sharp coloring compared to the glossed artwork.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Are YOU blind? You need to take a closer look at the jaw and cheekbones.

I made the comparison 'shop. Someone now needs to do a transitioning overlayed GIF to make this into a true GAF thread >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom