• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk´s Project 8 for 360 - Worth buying?

Hello!

Finally THP8 got released yesterday in Europe. IGN and Gamespot critizised the game for its graphic that there are many lags and that except "Nail the Trick" nothing new was added by the developers.

I am, as a fan of the THPS-series (1-4), now a bit worried how big these problems are in the game. I read that the 360 version has less problems with the grapics than the PS3 version has.

Final Question: How is the Online-mode?

Any people here who own the game for 360 and can give a little statement if it´s worth buying?

Speevy

Banned
I think that despite the criticisms, it might be worth owning if you really like the Tony Hawk series.

I mean, what other skateboarding games are there?

RegularMK

Haven't played online yet.

Basically, this is the best Tony hawk since 2. I couldn't really get into 3, and none of the following games held my interest whatsoever.

This game is awesomely fun, and has that classic Tony Hawk humor, no Jackass crap here.

Framerate issues are minimal and I don't really get how its a major complaint. I've only even noticed it a couple times, and it was never that bad.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
*Waits for PC version*

RegularMK said:
Framerate issues are minimal and I don't really get how its a major complaint. I've only even noticed it a couple times, and it was never that bad.

The demo was twice as smooth (60fps). That's enough to complain about IMO.

RegularMK

DaCocoBrova said:
The demo was twice as smooth (60fps). That's enough to complain about IMO.

Really? Didn't really notice the difference.

Either way, I don't think 30fps should prevent a purchase.

Sh0k

I ended up picking up my reserve last week, despite all the reviews. I don't regret it one bit, best Tony Hawk since TH2.

Google

THP8 has to be the best THPS in a good 4 years!

It does everything that a Skateboarding game should do, while throwing in some great new features...

If you have just an inkling of interest in Skateboarding, there are simply hours of fun to be had with the new "nail the trick" mode.

I spent 40 minutes last night, just playing on a set of steps, trying out new combo's!

If you are unsure about the framerate, rent it...

I havent noticed any problems whatsoever, and the game runs very smooth!

EDIT: Read the Eurogame review - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70089

tale

Ignore the people who haven't played it. Damn haters :)

It's Tony Hawk in HD with silky smooth online . The game is very slick, there is a ton of new content, they have finally found a way to integrate Classic mode in to their "open world" mode, the slow mo stuff is cool (though I'm having a hard time learning when to add it to my combos), there's no more Viva La Bam - The Game, the challenges have easy, medium and hard goals for you to accomplish. If you like this game, you'll be playing it for ages ...

Look if you like Tony Hawk games, get it - it's more of what you love and then some. If you liked Tony Hawk games in the past, and haven't played one in a while, get it - it has a nice tutorial to teach all the new moves. If you dont like Tony Hawk - stay away - because it is more of the same.

While the framerate does drop occasionally, it runs at 60.

bengraven

SixStringPsycho said:
Bought it, played it, didnt like it cause its more of the same. Took it back, got CoD3 now Im happy

And CoD3 isn't more of the same? :lol

I found the framerates balls and it seems a bit harder than the last few, but it's not bad. At all.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sports games, driving games, THPS games... If they're not 60fps (like they've been all last gen) then NO BUY (unless they're really, really good). The demo spoiled me and was planning on picking it up until I heard about the framerate getting halved.

More than the frame rate, what really put me off (about the demo) was that the physics haven't evolved at all, much unlike the test video that was shown last year. Clipping, wonky collision detection, frame drops... Nothing about it came off as nex gen, and the gimmick nail the trick mode thing wore off pretty quickly.

keanerie

Frame rate is ALRIGHT...it's not a game-killer by any means.

Overall I'd say that if you like Tony Hawk games, then this is the best one in awhile and you should give it a shot. Otherwise, for people who haven't been into the series post-THPS4 (or just pre-suck in general), it's really nothing amazing.

Ok, I bought it at Ebgames. I played it for about 3 hours and I´m pretty satisfied, I like the new style of the game, the tricks, the videos etc.
I find it a bit bothering that the framerate really drops noticeable, and for gamers like me hunting for the next million-combo it´s a bit hard to controll the skater while the framerate is going down and you have to watch that your skater won´t slam.
And what I don´t find really bad but somehow disappointing is the level. I liked the individual maps in THPS2 and 3, but now the developers try to put every cliché skatespot (Suburbs, Skatepark, School, Big City (Washington) under the same hat.

Nevertheless it´s still fun and 1000x better than THUG1+2 and THAW!

I don´t regret my deal.

Edit: Oh, but what I do miss are the scratches under your skateboard, which appear after a short time of grinding and sliding. Your board always looks brand new.

Google

Klaxon said:
Edit: Oh, but what I do miss are the scratches under your skateboard, which appear after a short time of grinding and sliding. Your board always looks brand new.

Thats what happens when Corporate Sponsorships get involved...

Noticed the amount of licensed shoes, as well?

rod

Banned
hi guys, the final game runs at 60fps, but its definetly not consistent. see those slowdowns? yeah, thats when it drops to 30fps from the 60 :)

aku:jiki

I love the game. My favorite part is the fact that a lot of the "sick" challenges are ****ign hard, at least to me. I haven't had trouble completing a THPS since I was new to the series with THPS1-3, but this one has several goals that has me laughing out loud and saying "that's impossible!" and then I find myself trying again and again until I nail it. It's a really great feeling when I finally do.

I'm sure the 100 million combo nuts find it easy, but I'm not one of them so I'm very satisfied.

Ok, I played Tony Hawk´s for a while, now and it´s weird, it feels good but it´s bugged.

I somehow lost my points from the stats so I had to start from the complete beginning to gain these statepoints.

And if I start THP8, I have to watch the intro-video every goddamn time because the "Press Start"-sign doesn´t appear...

Top Bottom