• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rave Master had the benefit of a solid plot. It knew where it was going and what the endgame generally looked like from the very start of the series. Plus not every arc looked like every other arc.

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't help you can tell Fairy Tail was influenced a lot by stuff like One Piece, but the series is nowhere near as good as OP is.

Moaradin

I just got done watching the Ninja episode, and man that episode is beautiful. It's like 14 years old now and the animation and fight choreography puts must animated shows to shame to this day. It's crazy how experimental the show was.

I really hope that's something that gets continued in the new season.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Cartoon Network of 2017 will never let something like Samurai Jack on, hence why it's going to Adult Swim.

It's not loud and fast enough, nobody is talking every second.
I know there are Adventure Time and Steven Universe episodes that rely on silence and mood, but that's only after several seasons.
If things aren't bouncing or screaming like TTG, nu-PPG or Mighty Magiswords, then it can fuck right off.

I'm at the beginning of Season 3 atm.

I'm amazed that the show managed to take the premise "Jack gets turned into a chicken" and make it interesting

He's talking about Hunter x Hunter, lol
Just waiting for the streams to fully cross and we get Tuxedo Mask Leorio.

Mizerman

About done with my marathon. Currently a few episodes into the last season. I'm constantly surprised by how well the show holds up. I definitely couldn't appreciate some of the beautiful cinematography and animation when I watched it as a kid. I can't think of any bad episodes either. There's a few that are just kinda ok, but none that are straight up bad.

I guess that's one of the reasons why SamJack remains a favorite after over a decade.

Rave Master had the benefit of a solid plot. It knew where it was going and what the endgame generally looked like from the very start of the series. Plus not every arc looked like every other arc.

Too bad the anime ended up being a wash.

The Cartoon Network of 2017 will never let something like Samurai Jack on, hence why it's going to Adult Swim.

I know there are Adventure Time and Steven Universe episodes that rely on silence and mood, but that's only after several seasons.
If things aren't bouncing or screaming like TTG, nu-PPG or Mighty Magiswords, then it can fuck right off.

Gumball is the GOAT of the current Cartoon Network lineup.

Moaradin

Gumball does look great. Every time I see a thread of it and see some clips, I really like what I see. Wish I had the time to catch up on some of that stuff.

cntr

Banned
I'm really glad that North American animation returned to form after how so-so most of the 00s were. It's like the 90s are back!

I should watch the Clone Wars thing Genndy did.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gumball is the GOAT of the current Cartoon Network lineup.

True, the bits I have seen of Gumball have been great.
But remember that Gumball premiered in 2011. So it's been around for a while. Enough to have three different voice actors for Gumball and Darwin.

Morlas

And you know CN's ratings have tanked over the past year, i mean the premiere episodes of their biggest shows are scoring lower than super saturday at 1130 gee i wonder why it couldnt possibly be because they try to shove TTG down everyone's throats 24/7.

True, the bits I have seen of Gumball have been great.
But remember that Gumball premiered in 2011. So it's been around for a while. Enough to have three different voice actors for Gumball and Darwin.

I love how the show goes meta every time the voice actors get replaced too lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm really glad that North American animation returned to form after how so-so most of the 00s were. It's like the 90s are back!

Genndy's Clone Wars shorts were amazing. The guy understands.

Genndy's Clone Wars shorts were amazing. The guy understands.

I'd say the only downside about the modern decade of animation is it's almost impossible to get an action cartoon funded. Nick's TMNT and Justice League Action are pretty much the last holdouts.

Though thankfully, it looks like Netflix is stepping up in that area with Voltron and the eventual season 3 of Young Justice.

ckohler

KWUlWhB.jpg

Episode 45 "The Hyper Mega Ultra Super Duper Chocolatey Fudge Coated Awesome Amazing Particle Cannon"
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler and Moaradin discuss the prince of all jobbers, yamcha giving up, the importance of lungs, cyber newtype murderers, 'Instant Lover', flashing, and Bink's Brew.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode045.mp3

Timecodes:
0:02:52 DB Super
0:11:15 DBZ Kai
0:21:24 Jojo
0:28:00 Gundam Unicorn
0:34:47 HxH
0:41:42 Shippuden
0:43:47 One Piece
0:54:21 GITS
0:55:31 Closing

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Morlas

Honestly I'm fine with Gumball and TTG, but CN really needs to play their other shows more, i mean really even kids get tired of the same thing over and over again, and on the topic of Jack I really hope it's the springboard to bring back action cartoons to the west.

wouldn't that be amazing the greatest action cartoon of all time revives the action cartoon genre?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There needs to exist (& I'm sure it does somewhere) a giant compilation of every single musical reference in Jojo.

They're a little more obscure at times in Part 1 & 2 outside of a few obvious ones like R.E.O Speedwagon & AC/DC, but man, Part 4 & beyond, they're SUPER direct & to the point one character has THREE of them from the same band.

....god, I cannot wait for Viz to dub Part 4 & it possibly dub premieres on Toonami.

cntr

Banned
I have a local playlist of every song reference in Jojo from Part 1 to 8, and I can say that Araki has pretty good taste

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Genndy's Clone Wars were better than the entire prequel trilogy.

They were great, if you haven't you should also check out the Clone Wars series. Pretty much watch anything that doesn't center around fucking droids, padme or Jar Jar and you'll be fine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh yeah, a lot of kids could have gotten bored of this. I'm surprised it even managed to last four seasons beforehand.

Now as an adult, it's brilliant.

Nah even back then the show was "cool" as hell. Everyone wanted to be a badass like Jack. The choreography in fights was engaging and well-done.

The only thing that irked me was how episodic it was - Jack never seemed any closer to his goals after dozens of episodes, and he didn't really grow much as a character (outside a couple pointed instances.) But that always bothered me in shows.

And the show could be so funny at times too. Jack vs.
Human
Aku was as hilarious as it was action-packed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Could be worse. We could be getting CNReal 2.0.

Regiruler

Episode 45 "The Hyper Mega Ultra Super Duper Chocolatey Fudge Coated Awesome Amazing Particle Cannon"

I prefer "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow"

Line_HTX

The only time I ever saw Bio Broly it was in Cantonese on a bootleg DVD that I rented with awful VHS picture quality. That was also the first time I ever saw 18 without knowing who she was because OG Toonami didn't air the Android Saga yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You guys missed the chance to call it Super Ultra Particle Cannon' Turbo Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α

I will say, while Yakuza 0 is pretty good so far, the property management aspect of it is confusing.

First off, I don't know if there's a way to actually see what properties you can buy, other than literally walking around town pressing your body up against the glass and seeing if the examine icon comes up.

That and you can upgrade properties, and some advisers are better at certain types of properties. Alright fine, why exactly is the adviser's store expertise displayed with various symbols? Is a double circle better than a triangle? Is a triangle better than a regular circle? I'm guessing an X means they're just bad at that property?

HStallion

Has TTGL ever been on Toonami? Its old at this point but it would certainly be a more exciting giant robot anime to replace Gundam Unicorn. That and lots of hot blooded action and fan service.

HStallion

Oh didn't realize they'd shown on Toonami. To be honest I didn't start watching until recently. Saturdays used to be my busy nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom