• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 15 RPGs on PC - by PCGamesN

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm glad Warband is on there. Shitty graphics, don't care. Game is god damn incredible.

How is playing something like Planescape: Torment these days? Still enjoyable or is should have been there type of game?

The Infinity Engine games hold up incredibly well. Buy it. Play it.

isuzu

aw yis at New Vegas instead of Fallout 3

ND0PlJk.gif

Sendou

So out of those I have played only little shy two (Mass Effect 3 missing from ME trilogy). I should really pick up my game.

leakey

KOTOR is ass. 1 had a sweet twist, but was a worse game overall. KOTOR 2, well, you could see every plotline coming from 100 miles away. Nothing special in either one except the name Star Wars.

v0yce

2 was bugged and incomplete, but writing and characterization made 1 look like amateur 'same jedi story as the last few decades' hour.
Gameplay and mechanics wise, both are meh.

I really like KOTOR 2, but what other Star Wars story is like 1?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Shadowrun Returns? What in the...

It's an above average effort, but in no way belongs on that list.

tokkun

Most of the games you listed are hugely influential classics that were amazing for their time, but they aren't actually that good nowadays. Now, if the list had included something like Darklands, that might be a different story.

New Vegas is a lot better than Fallout 2. It's not a youth thing, it's a quality thing. NV has about the same level of freedom, much better dialogue and characterization, way more interesting content, and a higher level of choice and consequence. The combat kind of sucks, but so did Fallout 2's, despite being turn-based.

If we are judging all of these games by today's standards rather than in the context of when they released, then why is Anachronox on this list? The combat is terribly balanced. The graphics are not good anymore. The novelty of building a 3D world in the Quake engine pales compared to the modern versions of TES and Fallout. The puckish humor now seems awkward compared to better realizations in games like Borderlands or GTA.

And I say that as someone who loved Anachronox when it came out.

Gbraga

Shadowrun Returns? Really?

I liked the game a lot, but I'm not sure if it belongs in such a list. Specially with the awful last part.

Toxi

Banned
Arcanum got on there, which is good. Surprised not to see the Fallout series (Fallout and Fallout 2 are great).
If it was made by GAF it would be Top 1 and it would be Dark Souls

What I've learned from GAF, is that Dark Souls/Demons Souls are GOTY every year, it is also the best sports game, puzzle game, action game, shooter, party game and rhythm game of all-time
That's a great idea! They should win GOTY every year because they're awesome games and I have fun playing them.

#6 - Torchlight 2

#15 - Dark Souls
If we're allowing mods, I could easily see Dark Souls on that list. If we're not... Ick, unDurante'd Prepare to Die, ick. Prepare to Dick. Granted, it's a small mod, but still... Ick.

No Gothic 2 is a joke.

That's hyperbolic, c'mon. It's arguably among the best CRPGs out there but so are the 15 games on that list. Really decent list for once although the omission of Diablo 2 is a little puzzling. Also, treating both Baldur's Gate games equally is horribly misleading considering how much better #2 is.

Hrothgar

How did Mount&Blade end up on that list? I never found the light-RPG elements of the game particularly good or engaging. Great combat/action game though.

Zukuu

Banned
How is playing something like Planescape: Torment these days? Still enjoyable or is should have been there type of game?
Combat is bad, rest is good. so if you're a story person, you should do fine.

I just looked up Anachronox. OMG that looks incredible. May have to play it in the near future.

Almighty

Pretty solid list. I was expecting something awful, but this list has Morrowind above Skyrim, Kotor 2 above 1, and New Vegas above 3, all like it should be. That is enough to make me happy. Bloodlines being on there is also really nice.

Though the Mass Effect series has no place in the list and Shadowrun Returns is questionable. It's a good game, but I don't think it is among the best ever.

Tanolen

Pretty good list, get fallout 1 or 2 up there and mask of the betrayer and then you have an amazing list.

I'm of the opinion that New Vegas is the best fallout game also. The originals are almost as good though!

ME is quite the epic tho. Has a great universe set up and ready to explore. Dialogue is also rather good and character interesting. I can see it being there.
It's good, but it's not god tier (not even remotely I dare say) unlike these cool guys:

Planescape: Torment
The Witcher
The Witcher II
Baldur’s Gate 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Diablo 2
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Fallout New Vegas
Anachronox
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
Shadowrun Returns
Deus Ex
Dark Souls
Gothic 2

Fularu

Banned
No Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder/Lands of Lore/Black Crypt?

No Diablo I/II/III?

No Ultima?

No Fallout 1/2?

Torchlight?

Wut?

orborborb

Baldur's Gate 1 and Fallout New Vegas are my favorites from their list

But I enjoyed Risen and Legend of Grimrock even more.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Superb list.

If you haven't played Bloodlines, New Vegas, or Deus Ex, I would strongly advise you to do so.

Meanwhile I will eventually try and force myself to play these classic isometric games.

Replace Torchlight II and "Mass Effect Series" with Diablo II and Legend of Grimrock.

Torchlight II is a totally inexplicable inclusion, and I really tried to like it.

"Mass Effect Series" is not a game.

Top Bottom