• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 console games of last generation (PS2, GCN, XBox)

Tabris

It's that time. We only have 3 to 5 possible entries left (FFXII, Zelda TP, Persona 3, etc) that could compete for this but since I wanted to post the thread now, those will be ignored. What are your top 5 console games this generation?

Here are mine:

5) Zelda The Wind Waker (GCN) - Easy. "Cutesy". These are the flaws in the game. They pale in comparison to all the strengths this game has. One of the most visually dynamic games this generation in terms of art style. Music was perfect. Touching finale. And most of all, it's Zelda. Traditional Zelda gameplay in all of it's goodness.

17.jpg

4) Final Fantasy X (PS2) - Final Fantasy's only legimate console entry released currently in NA. This game is one of the first to have a main character more focused on dealing with real human emotions and issues than saving the world. One of the best endings ever.

1.jpg

3) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - Tactical Espionage at it's finest. Excellent pacing, traditional MGS gameplay, and a very engaging political intrigue story. The end of the game is one of the funnest moments in gaming.

metal_gear_solid_3_snake_eater_001.jpg

2) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) / ICO (PS2) - It's hard to decide between the two games. Both are beautiful. Works of art in video game form. Excellent puzzles. In SOTC, some very exciting battles. Tragic tales of sin, passion and atonement. If gaming was to look towards the perfect games, these would be it. Flawless but taste required.

34159_L.jpg
screen01.jpg

1) Xenosaga Episode III (PS2) - This game takes a series littered with anime cliches and obvious symbolism and changes it into something very refreshing and unlike anything before it, literal in what used to be symbolism. One of the best story-driven games I've ever played. Do not let the other entries in the series fool you.

medium_xesa1.jpg

Tabris

Yeah Anihawk. Maybe it will go down on the list after multiple play-throughs but that's how I feel right now.

AndoCalrissian said:
RE4 isn't on this list... how exactly?

I thought Zelda was the best Gamecube game personally.

bjork

5. GTA III
4. GTA: VC
3. GTA: SA
2. Pirates!
1. PSO

The above list is 100% factual and disagreeing with it shall only prove that you are incorrect.

AniHawk

1. Resident Evil 4
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Pikmin 2
5. Half-Life 2

AniHawk from an alternate universe:

1. Skies of Arcadia Legends
2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
4. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Voltron AniHawk:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
3. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
5. Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader

Ramirez AniHawk:

1. Beyond Good & Evil
2. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
5. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

Dreamcast Fanboy It's-a-current-gen-system AniHawk:

1. Skies of Arcadia
2. Shenmue II
3. Grandia II
4. Jet Grind Radio
5. Crazy Taxi

I CAN'T CHOOSE JUST FIVE!

Red Scarlet

Mmm, looking at what I have, I'd guess Dragon Quest 8, FF10intl, Metroid Prime, Dragon Quest 5 remake, MGS2 or MGS3 (played 2 more).

Tabris

White Man said:
All 5 games you listed are sufficiently flawed enough to be excluded from a top 5 list.

Well then make your own list and post it here :p

I mean tastes aside, I don't understand how anyone couldn't consider SOTC in there top list. The game is perfect in what it sets out to do. Flawless in my opinion.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
6(honorable mention). Chibi Robo/sengoku basara 2/god hand

5. Pikmin 2
4. Panzer Dragoon orta
3. SOTC
2. DMC3
1. VF4\EVO

White Man

WoW
The Warriors
VP2
MGS2
SMT: Nocturne

I mean tastes aside, I don't understand how anyone couldn't consider SOTC in there top list. The game is perfect in what it sets out to do. Flawless in my opinion.

SOTC is a good minigame. As a full game, it looks like shit and controls like shit. It can be beaten in a few (very few) hours. The world is completely empty. Pointlessly empty. The game is shockingly poorly designed. Why even bother to make such a huge world if the goal was to make it empty, and thus forgetable?

1. Final Fantasy XI
2. SOTC
3. Halo
4. Halo 2
5. MGS3

FF XII will probably replace Halo 2 when it comes out.

Those are the games that lasted the test of time with me last gen. (i.e. the ones I still play)

Honorable Mentions:
Fable
RE4
Animal Crossing

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
1) Star War KotOR I and II.
2) GTA: SA
3) FFX
4) Morrowind
5) DQ8

(if we included PC The Movies makes the list at number 2.)

Tabris

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
MGS 3, Xenosaga, and FFX contain some of the most mind numbingly awful stories ever conceived.

You've never played Xenosaga Episode III like most everyone here that will insult the game.

AlanHemberger said:
1. Final Fantasy XI
2. SOTC
3. Halo
4. Halo 2
5. MGS3

FF XII will probably replace Halo 2 when it comes out.

Those are the games that lasted the test of time with me last gen. (i.e. the ones I still play)

Honorable Mentions:
Fable
RE4
Animal Crossing

... zuh?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1) shin megami tensei: nocturne
2) romancing saga
3) dragon quest 8
4) metroid prime
5) gradius 5

Andy787

Banned
Are we counting PC or Dreamcast? If so, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, and Half-Life 2 would be on here.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Runners up: Metroid Prime, Yakuza, Halo, Zone of the Enders 2, Beyond Good & Evil, God of War, Devil May Cry.

Tabris said:
1) Xenosaga Episode III (PS2)
stfulukemz1.jpg

White Man

Tabris said:
You've never played Xenosaga Episode III like most everyone here that will insult the game.

Can you blame us? If Leprechaun 3 was getting raves, do you think most movie-fanboys would give a shit?

Odysseus

Banned
I refuse to be limited to five games.

Knights of the Old Republic
Halo
Halo 2
Final Fantasy X
Jade Empire
Ninja Gaiden
God of War
Knights of the Old Republic II
SSX3
SSX Tricky
Amped 2
Eternal Darkness
Tales of Symphonia

That's my list.

What I remember of it right now, anyway.

Maridia

1. Metroid Prime
2. Ninja Gaiden Black
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Half-Life 2
5. The Wind Waker

2 and 3 switch places quite often.

And it pains me to omit Pikmin and MGS3. I love them too.

Tabris

I think people are confusing the concept of "here are mine" and "post yours".

It's my tastes :p I really thought Xenosaga Episode 3 was that good. I also enjoyed Zelda more than RE4. I also liked the character of Tidus in FFX. I also had a blast playing the end of MGS3. Etc.

cvxfreak

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
4. Resident Evil Zero
5. Silent Hill 3

(6 - 10 comprises of Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Onimusha 3, Pokemon RSE and Fire Emblem somewhere in there)

Kangu

Banned
Tabris said:
Uhm...what's Sky Oddyssey?

The spiritual successor to Ocarina of Time. Only if OoT didn't suck and featured awesome aeroplanes doing awesome aeroacrobatics with graphics the N64 could only dream of. It's widely regarded as the best game ever by anyone with a modicum of taste. i.e. people who recognize Eternal Darkness is a steaming pile of Denis Dyacks corn ladden blood covered poop.

beat

1 VF4
2 Skies of Arcadia
3 Ninja Gaiden
4 Guitar Hero
5 Psychonauts

KOTOR 2 -- in an alternate universe where they didn't take that huuuuge cut to the features and story -- would probably make my list and replace Psychonauts...

Grayman

It's hard for me to say because I know I've missed important games(RE4).

All my games vary because of timing and impact though. I'm not going to order these 3.

Gran Turismo 3/4
- both great games, 4 much improved but it came out so much later. 4 is decidedly the better though because 3 was in some ways a step down from 1+2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - subsistance improved on this a lot with better camera and a good online experiance for the first few weeks before everyone was a pro.

Grand Theft Auto 3(series)
- 3 was something never seen before when it came out so although VC and especially SA improved on it a lot those weren't nearly the jump up that GTA 3 was. Vice city brough a whole time period alive but in all respects of gameplay was trashed by San Andreas. This really is a series that should have been repeatedly sold as multipacks putting the older games into the newest engine and adding in abit more map to fit the new vehicles.

Games that I liked but don't know if they should go into a top 5,
Shadow of the collosus - very fun at what it did, was interesting. For me it just didn't have the it that would make me play it again and again and again like the other games.

Ico
- same thing, great game but not something that i would play over and over. Beautiful castle, i wish I could look at maps of it or fly around it.

God of War
- i'm playing the game right now and maybe by the end will think it deserves a spot in my games of the generation. Very fun at what it does. Looks superb for it's hardware. An action game that i picked up long after I stopped playing action games.

Mario Kart Double Dash
- if this game was a lot better it would have made it into the real list. The gimmick of 2 per car just didn't do it for me. More battle maps and stuff would have done it for me i think.

Top Bottom