• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 console games of last generation (PS2, GCN, XBox)

Tarazet

No particular order:

Psychonauts (Xbox/PS2)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC)
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (PS2)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
Grandia II (Dreamcast/PS2)

Amir0x

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
Remember it was on the Xbox too (although that version certainly wasn't the definitive one).

Yeaah...the framerate on the Xbox version crushed my soul, I couldn't in good conscience put it there if only for the representation :p

1. Metroid prime: Perfection and second favorate game of all time

2. Metal gear Solid 2: Substance : OK 3 was the better game, but this was my first metal gear so it will always hold a special place in my heart, plus I spent nearly 100 hours with it

3. Ninja gaiden: Best action game ever

4. Resident evil remake or 4, I can't choose which one is better and dont want 2 RE games in this list.

5. Dues EX: Yes even on the PS2 it was still an amazing game.

DC:
17.gif

PJ-tiffvshoma.jpg

Ikaruga_01.jpg

1053075873.jpg

919844_20040213_screen007.jpg

PS2:
MgsCamoExample.jpg

1053678619.jpg

GGXXR-DizVsAxl01.png

225px-Guitarhero-screen.jpg

image_deliver.php

GC:
RE4screen1.jpg

Metroidprime10101.jpg

smb_screen001.jpg

132455_full.jpg

1102888387-00.png

Xbox
otogi-2-immortal-warriors-20041005000813304.jpg

e3kotor_03.jpg

X-Men_Legends_II.jpg

pw_product_r9_c5.jpg

Halo.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
1. Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Game Cube, Playstation 2)
3. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (Arcade, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox)
4. Halo 1 n' 2 (Xbox)
5. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast, Game Cube, XBox)

-Jet Set Radio and Third Strike both came out on the same day in Japan back in summer 2000. I think the day I received those games from UPS was probably the best gaming day I had this past generation! Countless hours were spent on both.

-Resident Evil 4 was just amazing in pretty much every way. I hope that Resident Evil 5 turns out as well, but I'm honestly not expecting it to. A game like RE4 only comes along once in a while.

-With both Halos, I'm only talking about multiplayer, which was a blast. Never cared about single player in either game; never played through them either.

-Phantasy Star Online was a blast online, but the most fun I had was with the Game Cube version playing offline multiplayer. The summer the Japanese version came out, I think there was a period where Manngc, Hethspd, Catzgirl, and I would meet up and play it until 4am every night for like two weeks straight. I would usually conk out around 1 or 2 and wake up to find them STILL going. :lol

-There are so many other games I've enjoyed this past gen, including Silent Hill 2 and 3, Unreal Championship 2 (it really was overlooked), the SNK Playmore trilogy of the awesome (KOF XI, NGBC, and SS TK), the SSX series, the Grand Theft Auto games, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry, Rumble Roses (yup!), KOTOR, Soul Calibur I-III, Dead Or Alive 2/Ultimate and 3, Enclave, and Godhand among many, many others, but most of the top five I listed are up there simply because of the amount of time I spent playing them.

-It's interesting how things have changed. The Dreamcast's first year (starting from the Japanese release) kind of sucked, with very few releases and fewer really worthwhile titles. The Playstation 2 also sucked its from first year as well. Game Cube and Xbox both started off strong enough for me, but the Game Cube went way downhill its last few years, where as all the other systems only kept getting better. Microsoft killed off the Xbox too early though.

-Modded Xbox > All

How about a top five games of the last generation? I'd like to see how the lists differ with portable systems and PC games listed too.

Raw64life

In no particular order....

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Dragon Quest VIII
Resident Evil 4
Soul Calibur II
WWE Day of Reckoning 2/Street Fighter III: Third Strike (depending on whether you count DC as this gen)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Halos - I feel like the 2nd one is both the best and worst of online gaming. But the first is the only reason I got into modern gaming. So...props or something.

KOTOR - I dislike the Star Wars mythos. But really...this is the only 100% compelling rpg I've played out of the many.

Resident Evil 4 - Did anyone expect this to be this good? I don't believe it. The earlier games are not very good. Be honest. This game is incredible.

MLB 06 - I know it's not cool to name a sports game. But I always wanted a nearly perfect baseball game. And this is it.

Socom 2 - It's not that I think it's necessarily better than 100x other games. It's that the highs and lows of playing this are so goddamn memorable for me. That's what it's about right?

Psychonauts gets in somewhere because of all the games that are for everyone and no one all at once, this wins. I'm surprised it was made. It transcends something on some level that we want games to be, more than all the Ico's, etc.

There are many more games that I could easily put on the list. Easily.

1. Metroid Prime - sadly I have yet to played Echoes, but the first one was gaming perfection in my eyes
2. Okami - a work of art that's also incredibly entertaining
3. Resident Evil 4 - It's RE and it's more badass than ever
4. Shadow of the Colossus - battling each beast was like something out of a movie
5. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - these mechs kick ass and take names

Special mention to the Winning Eleven series as a whole, which has already consumed like half my life, but wasn't included in the list because it has already achieved god-like status. :D

1. Final Fantasy X
2. SSBM
3. Halo 2
4. Paper Mario 2
5. Wind Waker

Although I dislike Halo 2, the fact that it and SSBM are still overwhemingly popular and played competitively put them in my top five list.

no real idea of favourite...but based on playtime and completion

1. ffx
2. jak2
3. beyond good and evil
4. mgs3
5. shadow of the collosus- played half and hour....very impressed

games which could change this: ffxii, okami, zoe 2 (once I complete it), digital devil saga

peace

Is anybody going to calculate these out? I'd consider doing so myself, but there are too many posts that don't conform to an ordered top 5. =P

methodman

Banned
1) resident evil 4
2) KOTOR
3) metroid prime
4) god of war
5) wind waker (even though it's not on top of the zelda list, it's still an amazing game to me)

Fady K

Tabris said:
It's that time. We only have 3 to 5 possible entries left (FFXII, Zelda TP, Persona 3, etc) that could compete for this but since I wanted to post the thread now, those will be ignored. What are your top 5 console games this generation?

Here are mine:

5) Zelda The Wind Waker (GCN) - Easy. "Cutesy". These are the flaws in the game. They pale in comparison to all the strengths this game has. One of the most visually dynamic games this generation in terms of art style. Music was perfect. Touching finale. And most of all, it's Zelda. Traditional Zelda gameplay in all of it's goodness.

17.jpg

4) Final Fantasy X (PS2) - Final Fantasy's only legimate console entry released currently in NA. This game is one of the first to have a main character more focused on dealing with real human emotions and issues than saving the world. One of the best endings ever.

1.jpg

3) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - Tactical Espionage at it's finest. Excellent pacing, traditional MGS gameplay, and a very engaging political intrigue story. The end of the game is one of the funnest moments in gaming.

metal_gear_solid_3_snake_eater_001.jpg

2) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) / ICO (PS2) - It's hard to decide between the two games. Both are beautiful. Works of art in video game form. Excellent puzzles. In SOTC, some very exciting battles. Tragic tales of sin, passion and atonement. If gaming was to look towards the perfect games, these would be it. Flawless but taste required.

34159_L.jpg
screen01.jpg

1) Xenosaga Episode III (PS2) - This game takes a series littered with anime cliches and obvious symbolism and changes it into something very refreshing and unlike anything before it, literal in what used to be symbolism. One of the best story-driven games I've ever played. Do not let the other entries in the series fool you.

medium_xesa1.jpg

AWESOME list! Dude, i said this before, and ill say it again, out tastes are almost completely the same.

Here's my list (in order)
15) Kingdom Hearts (didnt play 2 yet, will soon)
14) Killer 7
13) Shadow of the Colossus
12) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
11) Suikoden III (yes, i LOVED it, didnt start 5 yet, have a great feeling)
10) Metroid Prime
9) Silent Hill 2
8) Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille Zur Macht
7) God of War
6) Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
5) Shadow Hearts: Covenant
4) Resident Evil Remake
3) Resident Evil 4
2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
1) Xenosaga Episode III Also Sprach Zarathustra :D :D :D :D :D :D

I KNOW FFXII will be up in the top 5 soon :D

Error2k4 said:
i think tabris just wanted to pimp ep3 in this thread.

Yeah, and why not :p Count me in too!

Amir0x said:
1. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
Why the Gamecube version specifically? I thought the PS2 version was even a little better with the extras.

Fady K said:
Why the Gamecube version specifically? I thought the PS2 version was even a little better with the extras.

The GC version has:

- Better graphics
- Less load times
- Better frame-rate
- Arguably better controls
- Much better sound and atmosphere

Played both, love both. But the extras for the PS2 doesn't mean much when the main game itself is noticeably inferior.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
In my defence I would like to say the post was meant as a "take your pick"-kind of post. Too bad some saw it as a trainwreck. One could argue that it's the ultimate post here since it encapulse most of the posts here.

But that would be in my defence.

Magicpaint said:
The GC version has:

- Better graphics
- Less load times
- Better frame-rate
- Arguably better controls
- Much better sound and atmosphere

Played both, love both. But the extras for the PS2 doesn't mean much when the main game itself is noticeably inferior.

Better framerate? I'm 25 hours into the PS2 version and framerate has dropped for a total of about 30 seconds. That might be 30 seconds more than the GC version but not worth a mention that's for sure.

Fady K

Yoboman said:
IS Xenosaga III really that good? Do I need to play the others to get the third?

Oh, believe me, YES. The thing is, there is a summary of the first and second episodes provided with the third game, however, its minimal and highlights a few of many things. I recommend that if you can push yourself through playing 1 and 2 (which arent too long btw, especially if u dont bother with sidequests, you can beat BOTH in 50 hours) and play the greatness which is 3. Hope u enjoy it bro!

Tsubaki

kinoki said:
In my defence I would like to say the post was meant as a "take your pick"-kind of post. Too bad some saw it as a trainwreck. One could argue that it's the ultimate post here since it encapulse most of the posts here.

But that would be in my defence.

Wow, you really love to stroke your own ego.

Top Bottom