• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 console games of last generation (PS2, GCN, XBox)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Metroid Prime
4. Shenmue
5. Jet Set Radio

Honorable mentions: Tekken 5, VF4 Evo, MvsC2, DMC3, NG, Splinter Cell, Silent Hill 2, Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2, FZero GX, Skies of Arcadia, MGS3, GTAVC.

jarrod

Banned
Tough call really... kinda premature considering we've got Twilight Princess and Final Fantasy XII on the horizon (and I still need to play Ookami, ack). So far I'd say...

01 ICO (SCEI/Team Ueda)
02 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix/Armor Project/Level 5)
03 Pikmin (Nintendo/EAD)
04 Virtua Fighter 4 (SEGA/AM2)
05 F-Zero GX (Nintendo/Amusement Vision)

...hurts that not a single ARPG deserved top 5 this gen so far. :(

Soul4ger

Too hard. Looking back on it, I think it was too busy acting angry this past gen to actually appreciate all the amazing games there were. This gen > lots of others. I WON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

slade

5) Viewtiful Joe
4) Okami
3) Resident Evil 4
2) Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
1) Devil May Cry 3

Yeah, I'm pretty much a Capcom fanboy.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

And four other games.

1. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. Beyond Good & Evil
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Soul Calibur II

sol_bad

This is really hard you know!!!!

1: God of War
2: Resident Evil 4
3: Shadow of the Colossus
4: GTA San Andreas
5: Kingdom Hearts (havn't played the sequal yet)
6: Metroid Prime ^_________^

GAH, to many games!!!!
I loved Beyond Good and Evil too and marathoned all three Prince of Persia games.

Ranger X

1- Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistance
2- Shadow Of The Collossus
3- Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
4- TOCA Race Driver 3
5- Resident Evil 4

chase

Metroid Prime - I don't understand how someone could not 'get' this game, but there you go. Shame about Echoes.

GTA3 - It's either this or Prime in the top spot, but Prime got it today. Never had an experience like it. Saying it has some control problems is an understatement but, like Prime (which doesn't have control problems, haters), every design decision was the right one. From the radio stations to how far they went in the over-the-top meter, to the size and scope of the city. Shame about Vice City.

ICO - What can anyone say about this game that hasn't been said. Shame about SOTC. Though SOTC is easily my favorite out of this "shame about..." series. I agree with White Man's assessment on the first page, though I don't place as much importance in those critcisms.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - After playing Skies on my DC, it was second behind FFIII(VI) in my RPG list. Playing it again, it vaulted to the top and put Kefka and company well behind it.

Splinter Cell - I picked the first one for its fresh factor (as opposed to GTA3 which really is my favorite of the GTA series). This is stealth gameplay done right. Haters note: even Pandora Tomorrow added significant improvements in control, as much as you decry that sequel. Anyway, I'm trying to think of a way to describe why I love this series. I guess I just enjoy sneaking up on people with the help of high-tech gadgets taking them out. I like the overall atmosphere from the kind of stories (though they're terribly told) and the locales you visit.

Honorable mentions:

Wind Waker - I loved everything about this game...except the dungeons. That's a problem.
Halo - Library and Flood problems included, this game still has 'something' about it that makes me play it over and over again. Shame about Halo 2.

I thought there would be more in the top tier, but apparently not. Oh, RE4 played like a dream, but its highlight was the opening level and the game felt like you were doing the same thing the entire time. Doing the same thing throughout is actually the case in most games, but in RE4 I felt it. Still, it would definitely be in the next group.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My favorites

1. Rez
2. Dragon Quest 8
3. ESPGaluda
4. Super Smash Bros Melee
5. Shadow Hearts:Covenant

Bennettt2

1. Xenosaga 3
05.jpg

2. Yakuza tied with FFXII (Jap version)
1140715606_yakuza_03.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-02.jpg

3. MGS3
091304_MGS3_Screenshot_13.jpg

4. RE4 tied with SOTC
b_4.jpg

shadowcolossus4.jpg

5. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
sfiii_giant_attack.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
5. Space Channel 5 Special Edition
4. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3. Guitar Hero
2. Metroid Prime
1. RE4

toonface

Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy X
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Phantasy Star Online
Devil May Cry

(aaaand...

Zone of the Enders 2
Onimusha 2
ICO
Eternal Darkness
Okami
Final Fantasy X-2
Silent Hill 2
Virtua Fighter 4
God of War
Metal Gear Solid 2)

In no particular order.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
PleoMax said:
I still haven't played FFXII thought (going to play now actually), but i feel pretty pretty good about this choices.

hmmmmmmmmmm

My 5 favorites of the past 5-7 years:

5. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Sonic Adventure
3. Splinter Cells
2. Shenmue 1 n 2
1. NFL 2k1

I haven't played enough games to create a "best" games of the last generation list.

Ganondorfo

1.Zelda twilight princess (I don't care, it will be the new zelda)

2.Okami
3.Resident evil 4
4.Devil may cry 3
5.Shadow of the colossus

HM: snake eater, final fantasy 12, valkyrie profile 2, xenosaga 3 and god of war.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
1. FZero GX
2. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
3. Metroid Prime
4. Half Life 2 (PC)
5. Metal Gear Solid 3

And Call of Duty (PC) is my favourite multiplayer game of the generation

Amir0x said:
1. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
2. F-Zero GX/Gran Turismo 4
3. Pikmin 2
4. Metal Gear Solid 3
5. Metroid Prime

pretty similar choices. Maybe Pikmin 2 would make my list if I had actually played it. This thread has just reminded me how insanely awesome RE4 is...I need to make time to play that game again.

From what I've played of GCN and Xbox

1 Metroid Prime
2 Halo: Combat Evolved
3 Resident Evil 4
4 F-Zero GX
5 Can't think of one (Killer7/Zelda:TWW/SSBM are good candidates)

Soul4ger

All right, here's 10. Not necessarily my Top 10, and not in any order, but 10 games I really liked this past gen.

Gitaroo Man
Shadow Hearts
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Metroid Prime
Killer 7
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Pikmin (and Pikmin 2)
F-Zero GX

Mumei

1. Okami (PlayStation 2)
2. Final Fantasy X (PlayStation 2)
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
4. Skies of Arcadia: Legends (Gamecube)
5. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)

<_<

Ryu

These lists are my take as the top 5 games for each console - in no particular order. Top 10 for all is at the bottom.

Playstation 2 -
Grand Theft Auto 3
Burnout
God of War
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Okami

Xbox -
Rallisport Challenge 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden
Halo
Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay

Gamecube -
The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Bros Melee
F-Zero GX

Gameboy Advance -
The Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap
Advance Wars 2 Black Hole Rising
WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Metroid Fusion

Top 10 -
10. F-Zero GX
9. Metroid Prime
8. God of War
7. The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker
6. Halo
5. Grand Theft Auto 3
4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
3. Resident Evil 4
2. Okami
1. The Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap

CHYME

Banned
In no particular order:

Halo 2 -- never played the original, but this is an epic shooter with sweet guns, vehicles, and some pretty good AI.

Metroid Prime-- Greatest sense of exploration and achievement this gen has to offer.

SSBM-- Probably the most complex multiplayer game ever. I'm not even close to being good, but I can appreciate a masterpiece such as this by just watching others play. That's hard to accomplish.

RE 4-- Best graphics this generation. The controls weren't the tightest (probably intentional), but the atmosphere and gameplay was excellent.

KOTOR-- Not usually big on RPGs, but this game has a great storyline, while the combat, in retrospect, is pretty good for this type of game.

genjiZERO

My top 7.... (not really in any order)

1. ICO/SOTC - for the same reasons as everyone else. If you could bottle Hayao Miyazaki's ki in a game it would be these two. The only two games that made me feel genuine emotion based on the characters, fear/guilt respectively.

2. FFX, FFXII and DQ8 - the standard RPGs and they still managed to be creative and not rest on their laurels. I honestly don't mind waiting years between each FF, it just makes them more enjoyable!

3. REZ - "my hair has turned white" indeed. Synaesthasia at it finest.

4. MGS4 - Honestly... the story is kinda shit. But I'll be damned if it isn't one of the best, most professional and absolutely perfected games I've ever played. Simply spectacular and so very involving.

5. Halo - I like Halo for a different reason than I think almost everyone else, and that's for the 2 player Co-op. Most fun co-op since Streets of Rage.

6. Okami - a game based off of the Nihngi and Kojiki, and with an ukiyo-e art style? **** yes! This is the type of game I've been anticipating for in a game in years.

7. RE4 - I thought there was no way the RE series could stay fresh and RE4 proved me comepletely wrong. It wasn't very scary, but the gameplay and story were outstanding.

in no order...

Zelda: Wind Waker
Beyond Good & Evil
Katamari Damacy
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Power Stone/Soul Calibur (tie)

honorable mentions: Amplitude, Guitar Hero, Paper Mario 2, Pikmin 2, SSX/SSX Tricky, Gran Turismo 3/4, Jet Grind Radio, THPS 1/2, Burnout 3: Takedown, Mario Kart: Double Dash (yeah, I liked it)

1. Halo: Halo, to me, is like what VF is to fighting games. The combat is deep but fast paced but its easy to learn and the control is great. The co-op is amazing, and the characters are all animated well enough and talk enough that it seems like real people fighting aliens rather than computer characters running a script.

2. Resident Evil 4: One of the best paced games ever. It always puts the player in a tough situation then somehow makes the next situation seem even more dangerous. Like Halo, it has enemies that are so well realized that they seem like real psychos rather than just video game characters.

3. Mercenaries: My favorite free roaming game by far. The first half is really, really boring but the last half is incredible. This game creates a sense of real, epic-scale warfare better than any other shooter out there. The game also gave the player plenty of options, and it was a challenge as well.

4. Viewtiful Joe: The powers were all well thought out and fun to use. The game was very challenging and really forced the player to understand the logic behind each power and how to use it in battle.

5. DMC 3: Like VJ and most of the other games on this list, I really appreciate that this game forces the player to understand how to fight well rather than just giving him tons of life and making all the enemies wimps.

There was simply too many great games the past generation to just simply list 5, it would be a disservice to awesome games of the generation....that and the fact there was too many great games for me to choose to make list of top 5.

I'm too wishy washy like that.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Dmc1
Onimusha1
Jak1
SF3
ICO

I would also like to point out how early in the life cycle of their respective consoles these games where released, first gen for the win!

Way too ****ing hard, I don't want to do this. But not having DC eliminates one game (Soul Calibur) at least.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Grand Theft Auto 3
3. Halo
4. Guitar Hero
5. Zelda: The Wind Waker

Honorable Mentions: Metroid Prime, RE4, F-Zero GX, GTA: VC (haven't played SA)

IJoel

1. Ninja Gaiden Black
1. Halo/Halo 2 (don't ask to separate them... they're both essentially equally awesome in different ways)
3. SW: KotOR
4. Phantom Dust
5. Panzer Dragoon Orta

I'd probably choose a different set on a different day, but at least those 5 are always in the top 10 of this gen.

Mr Wispy

How can you have a top 5 and then put games that tie with each other? OMG LOOK I HAV TOP 5 BUT NUMBRE 1 TYES WIV 3 OVA GAMES! LOL.
It just doesn't make sense. It's not a top 5 then is it?
Tsk.

My top 5 -

5. Oddworld: Strangers Wrath -

52.jpg

I had never really enjoyed the previous Oddworld games. The first two on Playstation had such steep learning curves that I always gave up before getting even half way through, and the first one on Xbox was boring, and filled with too many puzzles which made for a long drawn out experience which again, I didn't finish.
God knows what posessed me to purchase Strangers Wrath; maybe it was the spare £30 I had floating around in my wallet. Maybe I didn't read the 'Oddworld' part of the title. Or perhaps it was just my love for Sergio Leone and Westerns which made me part with the cash.
And gee boy, what a great decision I made that day.
Beautiful graphics. Innovative gameplay. Loveable characters, and best of all; a storyline you actually care about. A land you want to explore. Battles you WANT to be involved in.
Strangers Wrath was no doubt an underdog of the last gen, and I really feel sorry for anyone who didn't have the chance to check it out. It is gaming at its best.
51.jpg

4. Silent Hill 2
41.jpg

Silent Hill was without a doubt the creepiest game in its day, and I don't think I alone was the only one eagerly anticipating the sequel.
Still to this day, I don't think a game has surpassed the sequel in terms of its heart breaking dramatic storyline or sheer psychological terror. Silent Hill is one mother fu*kin place I don't ever wanna be trapped.
Oh, and this guy is kinda cool.
42.jpg

3. Resident Evil 4
31.jpg

I enjoyed the remake on the Cube. I really did. Zero was pretty mediocre, but the graphics were mind blowing and the environments were tres cool.
The previews for Resident Evil 4 looked silly. Capcom seemed to be trying to compete with Konami by steering the franchise in a more psychological direction. Dolls coming alive. A ghost guy who could walk through walls. Deer heads opening their eyes mounted on walls.
Lets be honest guys, it started off shitty. BUT THEN! WHAM! Capcom scrapped it all. Changed it from a theatre or wherever it was set, and grew a pair of balls.
What RE4 ended up turning out to be was one kick ass ****ing game. Thank god for whoever it was in the team who one day just said ' Guys, come on. WTF is this?' and made them start over. Cause the fast paced gameplay, amazing locations and design, mixed with kick ass bosses and that new over the shoulder view, made for the (3rd) best game of last generation. It was amazing.
I'm so proud of Capom. Well done guys. Seriously. Have a cookie.
32.jpg

2. Halo 2
21.jpg

I waited too long for this game. The day before its release I tossed and turned in bed, begging for the clutches of this bastard nightmare to let me go. You see, I was dreaming of Halo 2 ... and it sucked.
Thank goodness that wasn't the case, because Halo 2 is fantastic. It improved on Halo in every single area, added some new weaponry and fancier graphics, and ordered me to go kick some covenant scum.
Yeah, I'm one of those guys who thinks it lived up to the hype.
And lets not forget what really makes this game ...
The multiplayer.
22.jpg

1. Shadow of the Colossus
11.jpg

What is there to say about this game that hasn't already been said? Yeah, we could natter on about the framerate. Yeah, we could argue about the lack of polygons on the main characters bum, or the unrealistically large horse.
Or, we could simply agree that this was the best ****ing game of the last gen.
Simple as.
12.jpg

I would like to say a special thanks to myself, for writing out this post, and also a little nod to these games that almost made it -
Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Jak 3, Ico, Zelda: Windwaker, Pokemon Ruby.

I can't do this... not a top five. Too many close calls to make an accurate list.

How about I just list some of my favorites instead? I'll bold the ones I think would make my top five.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Xenosaga: Episode III
Metroid Prime
Silent Hill 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy X
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Halo 2
Ico
Okami
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner