• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top British TV Presenter Phillip Schofield Says He Is Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soodanim

It's no so much the prize in of itself. It was just extremely distasteful to advertise that they would help pay your bills at a time when a lot of people were struggling or were worried about how they would literally keep the lights on in their house or feed/wash themselves with warm food and water (at a time when inflation was predicated to hit 18% but really never peaked much beyond 11%). The cost of energy was about £1,000/year before 2020 and now the actual cost has went above £4,000. The government had to step in and pay £66/month to everyones bills over the winter and they set a cap which is currently £2,500 so the government is/was paying energy companies about £1,500+ per household.

Only next week it is predicted that the cost of energy will drop below the price cap to around £2000-2150. It's still much higher than it was a few years ago (and apparently it won't reach that again until the end of the decade but likely these new prices are the new normal). So the government won't need to pay as much going forward but energy prices still remain higher than they were and a lot of people will still find it difficult to pay their gas/electricity bills.

Energy is the least of our worries now. The price of food is now the driving factor towards inflation. Maybe This Morning can set up a prize to pay peoples shopping for a year....
I live here too, but I'm still not seeing why putting a different name on it makes the blindest bit of difference. Is it because they ripped away the veneer of positivity and went with a more neutral sales pitch? It's all happy and smiles when someone wins £50,000 and they'll go on holiday and buy a new car, but when it's bills paid suddenly it's crass that they give away sums of money that can save them from poverty?

I feel like I'm missing a key bit of information that makes this as bad as you're both telling me it is.

Tams

I live here too, but I'm still not seeing why putting a different name on it makes the blindest bit of difference. Is it because they ripped away the veneer of positivity and went with a more neutral sales pitch? It's all happy and smiles when someone wins £50,000 and they'll go on holiday and buy a new car, but when it's bills paid suddenly it's crass that they give away sums of money that can save them from poverty?

I feel like I'm missing a key bit of information that makes this as bad as you're both telling me it is.

It's the direct connection to people struggling that's the issue.

I don't understand how you can't see that's worse than just waving some money around.

As I said, too on the nose.

nush

Correct it's making a "game" out of people who are struggling. If it was a premium rate number as well then that's profiting off people who are struggling.

Tams

Correct it's making a "game" out of people who are struggling. If it was a premium rate number as well then that's profiting off people who are struggling.

I just looked it up, and thankfully it is free to enter and there's no calling or texting to enter, so no hidden costs there.

It was still very dumb of them.

zombrex

I'm curious why there are so many older men that have families and then later come out as gay.
Some would say that are making a conscious choice to hide it and try live as a straight due to avoid stigma from friends and family. I wonder if changing hormones when aging are a factor.
I find it hard to believe so many gay many would purse relations with women if they did not have some sexual desire to do so.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I'm curious why there are so many older men that have families and then later come out as gay.
Some would say that are making a conscious choice to hide it and try live as a straight due to avoid stigma from friends and family. I wonder if changing hormones when aging are a factor.
I find it hard to believe so many gay many would purse relations with women if they did not have some sexual desire to do so.
It's actually very common if you look at the countries history, a lot of Gay and Lesbian people hid their sexuality because they had to and just got "settled" into a false marriage for the remainder of their lives. In the UK it was still a crime to be Gay until 1967 so many from that time period would hide, look up the term "having a beard", it's where Gay and Lesbian people would marry straights so they could appear as "normal" in society but still sometimes carry out their desires elsewhere.

Soodanim

I don't understand how you can't see that's worse than just waving some money around.

As I said, too on the nose.

Worse is a relative term, and to me it's barely worse if at all. I'm well aware of what on the nose means, I just don't see it as one of life's greater crimes. If people were unaware that free money for someone that's struggling is a big boost, then they were sticking their head in the sand and that's their problem. Maybe people were getting upset because it forced them to acknowledge that they enter competitions for money when they don't need it as much as others do.

The real crime is it potentially being a much lower sum than the 5 figures regularly given out, depending on how many bills they were looking to pay (again, haven't seen it). If it was one of their bigger competitions, it sounds like it was a way to dress up the fact that they were giving out less.

Like I said, I haven't seen the presentation of it for myself, but I'm not sensitive enough to be upset over a different name when the result is no different. To me this is Twitter outrage by 4 people that some shitty website wrote an "article" about.

Tams

Worse is a relative term, and to me it's barely worse if at all. I'm well aware of what on the nose means, I just don't see it as one of life's greater crimes. If people were unaware that free money for someone that's struggling is a big boost, then they were sticking their head in the sand and that's their problem. Maybe people were getting upset because it forced them to acknowledge that they enter competitions for money when they don't need it as much as others do.

The real crime is it potentially being a much lower sum than the 5 figures regularly given out, depending on how many bills they were looking to pay (again, haven't seen it). If it was one of their bigger competitions, it sounds like it was a way to dress up the fact that they were giving out less.

Like I said, I haven't seen the presentation of it for myself, but I'm not sensitive enough to be upset over a different name when the result is no different. To me this is Twitter outrage by 4 people that some shitty website wrote an "article" about.

There's a lot I could say, but I don't want to go into what could be construed as a personal attack on you.

So I'll just say: I don't think most people see it, or life, as you do.

nush

It's actually very common if you look at the countries history, a lot of Gay and Lesbian people hid their sexuality because they had to and just got "settled" into a false marriage for the remainder of their lives. In the UK it was still a crime to be Gay until 1967 so many from that time period would hide, look up the term "having a beard", it's where Gay and Lesbian people would marry straights so they could appear as "normal" in society but still sometimes carry out their desires elsewhere.

That was almost the case with my dad, it was illigal to be gay but he also wanted to conform with having a normal family life. Plus my grandad tried to make him "not gay" becuse his life would be harder that way and my grandad obviously at the time thought being gay was a choice.

However, it was so obvious my dad was a gay. Upside, solid gay friendly classic record collection.

nush

Maybe it will click with you if we change the conditions of the prize just a little "If you have long-term terminal illness we'll pay your medical bills for a year".

Soodanim

There's a lot I could say, but I don't want to go into what could be construed as a personal attack on you.

So I'll just say: I don't think most people see it, or life, as you do.
You're a decent person and I have nothing against you, go for it if you like. I won't take it personally and I like alternative view points.
That was almost the case with my dad, it was illigal to be gay but he also wanted to conform with having a normal family life. Plus my grandad tried to make him "not gay" becuse his life would be harder that way and my grandad obviously at the time thought being gay was a choice.

However, it was so obvious my dad was a gay. Upside, solid gay friendly classic record collection.
I feel for people like that, and I'm sure there's been so many of them.

I wonder how many closeted gay men than raised families are bi but because of everything that led to them living a lie they never really understood themselves so they thought they were only gay. Either way, a life of confusion must take its toll.
Maybe it will click with you if we change the conditions of the prize just a little "If you have long-term terminal illness we'll pay your medical bills for a year".
I'd be perplexed by such a specific prize, but I'd be appreciative if I needed that and won. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
ITV daytime is fucking shit. It's been the same programmes for about 20 years.

Good Morning Britain - SHIT
Lorraine - SHIT
This Morning - SHIT
Loose Women - SHITTER THAN SHIT

But they haven't got the bollocks to freshen it all up but here they have managed to get rid of a middle aged white man so make of that what you will - though more than likely before the shit hits the fan.

Last edited:

sono

"Pals say he’s completely broken"

"Phil feels he has been shown zero respect and he is devastated by how this has played out.
He thinks the way he was forced to step down was so unjust and he feels completely broken by how this situation has been handled.
This Morning was Phil’s life and now he feels he has been knifed without proper consultation."

nush

"Phil feels he has been shown zero respect and he is devastated by how this has played out.
He thinks the way he was forced to step down was so unjust and he feels completely broken by how this situation has been handled.
This Morning was Phil’s life and now he feels he has been knifed without proper consultation."

"I'm the victim here" narrative setup by the perpetrator. Seen that a million times already.

AJUMP23

If he was a sex predator......then good.

Z O N E

it seems another scandal is brewing. Some saying there is far more to this than meets the eye 😵‍💫

If they all knew, they all deserve to be jailed. Enough is enough. Jail the fucking pedophiles and pedophile protectors.

Of course he's trying to garner some sympathy. Deserves to be jailed with his brother.

AJUMP23

That is what I don't get either. How does somebody sexually abuse people and people don't say anything. Jimmy Savile dies and everyone is like "Oh ya we knew he molested people". This guy is leaving his job but no one will go "oh ya he is molesting boys." Make the accusation and convince the victims to come forward.

Facism

That is what I don't get either. How does somebody sexually abuse people and people don't say anything. Jimmy Savile dies and everyone is like "Oh ya we knew he molested people". This guy is leaving his job but no one will go "oh ya he is molesting boys." Make the accusation and convince the victims to come forward.

we had a religious education teacher back in secondary school. It was somewhat of an open secret that he was a bit of a pervert, he used to have a camper van that everyone called "The passion wagon" and he gave 6th formers lifts between the main school campus and the 6th form campus. We all thought he was a nonce. If we thought he was a nonce, the headmaster, the staff around him would have known he was a nonce.

Anyway, he got done for historically sexually abusing a number of girls during his time as a teacher, one girl being 13 years old, and missed a jail sentence because he has dementia now. Like fuck off. He didn't have dementia when he was being a fucking pedo rapist.

GymWolf

7mp23l.jpg

Fools idol

Banned

well to be fair no one has any proof of anything, and Katie Hopkin is hardly the bastion of truth and trustworthiness lol.

Just cause his brother was an abuser doesn't mean he is too... this whole thing does seem like there is a huge elephant being pushed under a rug though

nush

Just cause his brother was an abuser doesn't mean he is too...

You're right in concept. Go back and read this thread where that crew member he was having a relationship with was a boy he met when doing a school tour. The boy was 10 at the time they met.

Plus he worked in the BBC in the 80's, along with other kids show presenters like Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris...

Also as this topic started it was obvious he only came out as gay in a "Kevin Spacey" defense move.

Tams

we had a religious education teacher back in secondary school. It was somewhat of an open secret that he was a bit of a pervert, he used to have a camper van that everyone called "The passion wagon" and he gave 6th formers lifts between the main school campus and the 6th form campus. We all thought he was a nonce. If we thought he was a nonce, the headmaster, the staff around him would have known he was a nonce.

Anyway, he got done for historically sexually abusing a number of girls during his time as a teacher, one girl being 13 years old, and missed a jail sentence because he has dementia now. Like fuck off. He didn't have dementia when he was being a fucking pedo rapist.

How in the actual fuck was that allowed?!

Even as a teaching assistant I wasn't allowed to give lifts to pupils, and qualified teachers only if a small mountain of paperwork had been completed.

nush

How in the actual fuck was that allowed?!

Even as a teaching assistant I wasn't allowed to give lifts to pupils, and qualified teachers only if a small mountain of paperwork had been completed.

Britain in the 80's is my guess.

We had this PE teacher who would stand at the end of the showers (long open room communal shower) after the lesson to "make sure we were all having a shower". He was the only PE teacher that did that and we even at the time decided he was actually a perv.

ITV daytime is fucking shit. It's been the same programmes for about 20 years.

Good Morning Britain - SHIT
Lorraine - SHIT
This Morning - SHIT
Loose Women - SHITTER THAN SHIT

But they haven't got the bollocks to freshen it all up but here they have managed to get rid of a middle aged white man so make of that what you will - though more than likely before the shit hits the fan.

Anything with 'Morning' in it on TV in the early hours of the AM is SHIT. Like eat a dick !

Who the fuck wants that kind of positivity when you have to go to a BS job that will undoubtedly swallow you up and shit you back out before you've had your morning coffee.

I see my boss every morning and I go 'Fuck you you halfwit' to myself in my head. No wonder this dude turned out gay. 20 years of having to smile through the BS every morning for millions of viewers. Probably hated his boss and job as much as I did mine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knows. But anyone claiming this should be charged too. Isn't it a crime to know a crime happened and you keep your mouth shut? I though it is(?).

As an aside regarding molesting students, at my high school, it turns out there were a couple pervy teachers arrested for sexually abusing students. And both of them I had as teachers in grades 9-11 at some point for different classes. They were fine to me. I thought one of them was a good teacher too. Good guy. No surprise one taught gym. Not too often you hear about the economics or chemistry teacher doing shit. It's often a teacher doing gym, English class or any other class that can be chummy.

20 years later suddenly some old buddies on FB I went to school with are posting the article to everyone how Mr. X is arrested and the assault happened when we were there. We were all trying to figure out who it might be as the article even stated the year, but none of us had a good guess who as the article stated it was a him. It took 20 years to come out.

The other teacher seemed to do it way after I left high school. He was basically retirement age too according to the article, got nailed, and resigned. I checked his public teacher profile and it said "suspended". It wasnt known if the student was male or female. What a surprise, this teacher taught English/language/history classes

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I don't think so, but if he was questioned at the time and denied knowing anything and it was proven that he did then that lie is a crime.
in the UK at least, no.

If you knowingly aid a person who committed a crime to avoid justice, that is a serious crime here and afaik, most of the world. Assisting an offender carries a few degrees of severity based on the crime committed and the level of assistance given to help them get away with it.

I think by now had he helped his brother get away with it that he would have been investigated for that, the UK police are under severe public pressure at the moment for cases like this and rightfully so. Some crimes recently involving police officers abusing women were prominent in the news, and Scotland yard had a rough time rooting out all the weeds

AJUMP23

Who knows. But anyone claiming this should be charged too. Isn't it a crime to know a crime happened and you keep your mouth shut? I though it is(?).

As an aside regarding molesting students, at my high school, it turns out there were a couple pervy teachers arrested for sexually abusing students. And both of them I had as teachers in grades 9-11 at some point for different classes. They were fine to me. I thought one of them was a good teacher too. Good guy. No surprise one taught gym. Not too often you hear about the economics or chemistry teacher doing shit. It's often a teacher doing gym, English class or any other class that can be chummy.

20 years later suddenly some old buddies on FB I went to school with are posting the article to everyone how Mr. X is arrested and the assault happened when we were there. We were all trying to figure out who it might be as the article even stated the year, but none of us had a good guess who as the article stated it was a him. It took 20 years to come out.

The other teacher seemed to do it way after I left high school. He was basically retirement age too according to the article, got nailed, and resigned. I checked his public teacher profile and it said "suspended". It wasnt known if the student was male or female. What a surprise, this teacher taught English/language/history classes
I would assume the UK has mandatory reporting.

sono

TV presenter Phillip Schofield has admitted he lied to his colleagues and the media about an affair he had with a younger male ITV employee.
In a statement to the Daily Mail, Schofield confirmed the relationship took place while he was still married.
The former This Morning host said his affair with the man, who the BBC is not naming, was "unwise but not illegal".

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
his affair with the man, who the BBC is not naming, was "unwise but not illegal".

"Unwise but not illegal" may be a legal defense in court, but doesn't fly in the real world.

Winter John

Gold Member
Unwise but not illegal. Fuck that’s nice. I like that. It pretty much describes every waitress, deadbeat and psychopath I banged up until I met my wife. Unwise, but not illegal. Fuck that’s good. Boys I think I’ve finally found my epitaph

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The truth will always out. Fuck knows how much he spent on that now pointless super injunction either.

Roufianos

Look at this absolute cretin lecturing a mildly conservative Christian for his religious view. Glad to see this repulsive nonce finally shunned from society.

Tams

"Unwise but not illegal" may be a legal defense in court, but doesn't fly in the real world.

For your reputation, absolutely.

But ultimately, morally, and therefore legally, he's still in the clear, just.

It looks like it could have been grooming, but unless the lad he had an affair with says he's been hurt by it, there's nothing to be done. We can't go being hurt vicariously.

YCoCg

I'm sure the info is true but I wouldn't trust Dan Wootton with anything, especially since he's now claiming this is the reason he was fired from ITV, after claiming he was fired from ITV because of Meghan Markle last year, after he congratulated Schofield himself in 2020, etc. Dude is an outrage jockey, he'll say anything if it riles people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom