• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Trailer

#SHOTSFIRED

eexTXoC.png

Also HNNGHHHHH

This bullshit pissing contest shit wasn't needed, imho.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What can change the nature of man?

Looking really good. They know what they do. Just look at that dialogue box. LOOK AT IT

Looks great.
Interestingly enough it's pretty much on the polar opposite of Pillars of Eternity aesthetically.
Where Obsidian's game seems to stand out for detailed scenarios but has fairly underwhelming character models and animations, this seems to have its strongest asset in them while the scenarios seem to be a bit rough and with a bit of that "plastic" look you would expect from some past-decade pre-rendered stuff.

Anyway, both look far prettier than Wasteland 2, so there's that.

This does not bother me in the slightest, considering it looks exactly like Planescape Torment HD

Gattsu25

Banned
I do hope they have an option to scale that UI down just a little bit, though. It looks like even without the expanded dialogue box it would take up a good 40% of the screen.

The most important part of the game taking up 40% of the screen by default? Sounds great to me.

With this and Pillars of Eternity, 2015 will be a perfect year for RPG fans. Oh, and the Witcher 3 too, for more casual friendly AAA RPG.

Azih

I guess what I really meant was is there consequence and systems in place for the dialogue. What I'm specifically worried about is that the despite the granularity of tone available to you when responding, it doesn't actually matter in terms of how the particular scenario progresses. I'm not expecting something empty like 50 different endings but roleplaying for my own sake can only go so far. The one example that pops into my mind is in Mass Effect how Paragon vs Renegade actions aren't really that different.

Aside from one awesome area near the end. Your choices in planescape torment don't have much impact on the world of the game. They do have major consequences for the main character and his companions though. The relationships between the party members is honestly amazing.

Looks extremely impressive so far. The visual style, the hints of bizarreness, the general foreboding yet melancholic ambiance, the quality prose descriptions for both characters and environmental objects - all quite reminiscent of PS:T.

I also really like what they've done with the voice acting. Intraparty banter is (presumably) fully-voiced, and the occasional single line or paragraph from some of the more notable characters to give you a sense of what they sound like or give a piece of writing some added weight, and it all comes off quite well. It seems early yet I'd be surprised if any of this VA was placeholder; it sounds good.

One thing I really hope is that there's also a notable element of humor, and that it isn't always so self-serious. That's one of the many things I really loved about the first Torment. Despite the relative solemnity of the main plot, the dialogue was often very witty - the Morte character and his comical observations and frequent sarcastic back-and-forths with the rest of the characters (most notably The Nameless One) a hallmark of this - and humor is one thing games rarely get right.

Well put. I hope it reeks of the PS:T's sense of self-deprecating humor. Anachronox is also a game that to me nailed it in that regard.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh much like with w2 (prolly same designer), i think the interface looks really overdone and overall pretty bad

at least they got the font (and font colors) right but i'm not really a fan of the whole bulky thing

i appreciate much more the unobtrusive and more subtle interface design in eternity or divinity

Wiktor

Damn...I love how it looks. The art style, the music, the text descriptions of character's looks and actions, making everything seem like a session with a great GM.

Tommyhawk

Absolutely amazing, this totally gives me PS:T vibes!

Everything looks stellar so far. Lengthy dialogues, an intriguing and alien world (with strange machines and creatures) and the perfectly fitting music from Mark Morgan.

Looks like we're getting a worthy PS:T successor after all.

Lusankya

Really awesome looking game so far. I really hope the stuff with the different tides and the crisis system turn out to be as good as in theory.

duckroll

The trailer looks great. It gives a really good look at the game's general vibe and what they're aiming for, while still looking obviously very early. I'm impressed. Looks way better than WL2's early showings. I feel the project is in pretty good hands. :)

Durante

I think one reason people think that the characters and environments integrate more nicely here than in PoE (even though it's the exact same renderer) is because of the setting. PoE's is much more realistic, so it's much easier to spot and recognize the parts which don't look realistic. It's a bit like the uncanny valley idea. Also, I feel like vegetation is one of the hardest things to get right with this type of technology, and PoE - particularly the areas we've seen so far - is full of it.

tbh much like with w2 (prolly same designer), i think the interface looks really overdone and overall pretty bad

at least they got the font (and font colors) right but i'm not really a fan of the whole bulky thing

i appreciate much more the unobtrusive and more subtle interface design in eternity or divinity
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. But it's also true that it's already far more presentable than WL2's early UI.

Moff

what a gorgeous game, I love it and I am very glad I backed it. have they already set up backer pages like obsidian did? I think I need to add international shipping.

In my opinion it looks a lot more interesting and prettier than pillars, UI and animations are awesome.

Ruuppa

Voice acting? In my Torment?! How horrifying!

On a serious note, this thing looks amazing. The dialogue system looks pretty damn complicated, can't wait to make my diplomat.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. But it's also true that it's already far more presentable than WL2's early UI.
yeah and ofc to be fair to inxile they did take a lot of the criticism in consideration but i'm not particularly pleased with how w2's panned out so kind of bummed that they don't seem to have learned much from it

Gattsu25

Banned
I am one among that 83,000, just feels GREAT.

Edit: I Mean no disrespect to others, but just feels great to fund the right project to kickstart (in general).

I mean all of the disrespect to others: People think that gamers hate to read? Well screw those guys!!

....yeah, the trailer really didn't need that last part.

Setting and mood seems very close to original Torment. Dialogue options also seems diverse and nuanced.

However I'm afraid turn by turn combat will be painfully slow and rythym breaker. Let's see if they show it in a video next time.

Top Bottom