• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Corpekata

Banned
I don't like the combat much but I really don't see how RTWP would have helped, especially as combat hasn't exactly been nailed by a lot of these recent games. All it probably would have done is removed some of the interactions you can do since they'd be a lot more awkward in real time.

Eusis

I don't like the combat much but I really don't see how RTWP would have helped, especially as combat hasn't exactly been nailed by a lot of these recent games. All it probably would have done is removed some of the interactions you can do since they'd be a lot more awkward in real time.
Funnily enough some would probably be easier to do with a full on action system, I.E. sneaking around to hit objectives. Just think of MGS or something.

Durante

The theoretical benefit of quickly resolving useless fights never seems to lead to substantially less time spent in useless fights.
Actually it does, all the time. If it doesn't for you then you are either not leveraging the power of the system, or not accurately assessing the situation. Comparing different numbers of fights as if their count was somehow intrinsically linked to the type of combat system makes absolutely no sense.

BG2, IWD, and maybe IWD2 had RTWP combat truly on par with the top turn-based systems. While there's always a chance that someone will make a game with RTWP combat that matches those, it doesn't look likely, unless POE2 is a truly massive, across-the-board improvement. By contrast, I can cite many good-to-great turn-based systems.
That's subjective. I certainly consider Pillars of Eternity a good RTwP system. And NWN2:SoZ too, for that matter. Even DA:O was serviceable.

Whatever the merits on paper of a RTWP system, developers just can't seem to execute properly. With TB they can, and with increasing consistency.
That depends on what you consider proper execution. I mean, perhaps the best TB system of all time is featured in Divinity OS, and even that suffered from battles with many participants becoming boring time-sinks.

Multiple people bring up that point, and I just don't follow at all. Maybe I have too much imagination or they have too little, but I see nothing about these interactions that couldn't be done in RTwP. Just pause when the interaction starts, let the player choose what to do, and assign a time that completing it takes.

Menome

Nice one.
I fixed their fucked up clock
, does that count as joining?

If you say that you are
The Changing God
when you first meet them, that quest is all you need. If you say that you're yourself, you'll need to ask to join and be given a second quest to
find a hidden Castoff.

kionedrik

I'm really enjoying the Meres. It's such a simple and elegant plot device and the little stories inside present the lore and backstory from different points-of-view. I found 4 till this point and I hope there's a lot more to be found.

Lanrutcon

Actually it does, all the time. If it doesn't for you then you are either not leveraging the power of the system, or not accurately assessing the situation. Comparing different numbers of fights as if their count was somehow intrinsically linked to the type of combat system makes absolutely no sense.

That's subjective. I certainly consider Pillars of Eternity a good RTwP system. And NWN2:SoZ too, for that matter. Even DA:O was serviceable.

That depends on what you consider proper execution. I mean, perhaps the best TB system of all time is featured in Divinity OS, and even that suffered from battles with many participants becoming boring time-sinks.

Multiple people bring up that point, and I just don't follow at all. Maybe I have too much imagination or they have too little, but I see nothing about these interactions that couldn't be done in RTwP. Just pause when the interaction starts, let the player choose what to do, and assign a time that completing it takes.

Have you played FFXII, btw? It's my gold standard for RTWP(ish) combat, just like D:OS is my gold standard for pure turn based.

Durante

Have you played FFXII, btw? It's my gold standard for RTWP(ish) combat, just like D:OS is my gold standard for pure turn based.
I've played it, and I even like it, but it's not at all what I'd call a good RTwP system.

For me, the essence of interesting party-based RPG combat is strategic positioning, and FF12 doesn't allow for that.

Anoxida

Agree here. I love TB systems but I struggle to think of a game that nails both system and encounter rate. In DIvinity OS there were so many trash mobs after act 1. I became fatigued and stopped playing. The xp they gave were minimal, item drops poor (itemization in the game in general was very lackluster) so it became very annoying to play. Seems to me all TB games have too many encounters that means nothing that takes too long. Not much thought is put into it. Basically padding. I hate it. Shadowrun series came pretty close to doing both right I would say.

Anyway, this game, love it. Still in the first city hub been doing sq for hours. Ive yet to battle anything outside of tutorial.

fireflame

I have a weird bug(i think this is a bug and would like to know if this is story related or not.

I sent Rhin to the past in Chapter 1, she was adopted and is said to have got a happy life as a toy maker. However, when i came in the Biophage after running away from the sorrow, she spawned near the Slave market. I cannot talk to her, she is not in my team and has no reason to be there since she is in the past now, and, other weird thing, she is affected by one of my passive bonuses while not being in my team.http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...403/73051A2B3936A19525987456C6CCE74F4C8E6213/

I still can't get through the peerless fight without it freezing. I've tried uncovering the map more slowly and depowering one group at a time, and it still freezes when I uncover the map. BLEH!

I have a weird bug(i think this is a bug and would like to know if this is story related or not.

I sent Rhin to the past in Chapter 1, she was adopted and is said to have got a happy life as a toy maker. However, when i came in the Biophage after running away from the sorrow, she spawned near the Slave market. I cannot talk to her, she is not in my team and has no reason to be there since she is in the past now, and, other weird thing, she is affected by one of my passive bonuses while not being in my team.http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...403/73051A2B3936A19525987456C6CCE74F4C8E6213/

It's a bug.

Llyranor

I'm not liking what I'm reading about crises in this thread...... i'm enjoying the game a lot right now, but I haven't had a real proper fight yet
I've played more (a bit over 12 hours in), and I have to admit that I like the game a lot right now. I'm much happier with my companions too, settled on
Erritis, Matkina and Rhin
. Which also incidentally means that I have 4 different character "classes" in my party, which appeals to my sense of balance :p
Those are the characters I have in my party right now as well. Are the 2 starter characters that bad? I thought they had potentially interesting premises - were those just gimmicks?

fireflame

I have been able to skip 90% of crisis so far, not a fan of the fights indeed. This is giving me the feeling, nostalgy cast aside, that games of the level of quality of Planescape or Baldur are behind us. The game has good dialogs and story, but that time is far behind

Had it used fight system like shadowrun games it owuld have been better.

I'm not liking what I'm reading about crises in this thread...... i'm enjoying the game a lot right now, but I haven't had a real proper fight yet

Those are the characters I have in my party right now as well. Are the 2 starter characters that bad? I thought they had potentially interesting premises - were those just gimmicks?

I enjoy Callistege's scientific haughtiness, and her backstory is interesting, but honestly up against an MCA companion, a
mysterious God-conversing child and a sister castoff whose reality you've changed
, she had to step aside (and
Tybir
was never going to get a look in against that lineup).

Conezays

About 12 hours in and got to the next area:
Valley of Dead Heroes

Can anyone tell me roughly how much I have left? I thoroughly explored and tried to do as many quests as possible thus far. Cheers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
About 12 hours in and got to the next area:
Valley of Dead Heroes

Can anyone tell me roughly how much I have left? I thoroughly explored and tried to do as many quests as possible thus far. Cheers.

You're maybe 40% done.

Violet_0

Banned
regarding the Red Circles quest -
I accused Mallet of being the killer, but I don't actually have any real evidence. Is it possible to find definitive proof or do you sort of have to guess based on their testimonials?

also, what happens when you
don't get killed by the Ghostly Woman in the Fifth Eye
? Does the entire quest line fall away, or is it just a useless check?

regarding the Red Circles quest -
I accused Mallet of being the killer, but I don't actually have any real evidence. Is it possible to find definitive proof or do you sort of have to guess based on their testimonials?

also, what happens when you
don't get killed by the Ghostly Woman in the Fifth Eye
? Does the entire quest line fall away, or is it just a useless check?

There's nothing absolutely definitive, but there is a big hint.
You just avoid getting strangled, and nothing else occurs. You can still do it again.

Violet_0

Banned
There's nothing absolutely definitive, but there is a big hint.

ah, thanks
I was just a bit unsure since it's specifically pointed out that he didn't admit his guilt. He's the only one with a motive, the mutant eats every body part and I couldn't find anything that implicates the women, plus she's one of the possessed so already tied to another quest. The big hint is that Mallet wanted to have that position and work for what's-his-name, right? Doesn't explain the second murder, though

Eusis

Did MCA write Erritis? I heard he had wrote for a companion but didn't know which one.

I was trying to find something online that said that (rather than just, ya know, asking) and the closest I got was that he was putting in a character he RPed as that was energetic and brought levity in. Which had to be Erratis because that sure as fuck doesn't sound like anyone else, and Rhin being the main character of Rothfuss's comic implies that's his companion and thus one possibility struck out.

I wonder who is responsible for who beyond those two though.

kionedrik

So Erritis... I'm at the point where I can
jump into a Mere to find Mazzof
however it seems like a point of no return. Is Erritis
"cure"
past this point or have I missed something?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
ah, thanks
I was just a bit unsure since it's specifically pointed out that he didn't admit his guilt. He's the only one with a motive, the mutant eats every body part and I couldn't find anything that implicates the women, plus she's one of the possessed so already tied to another quest. The big hint is that Mallet wanted to have that position and work for what's-his-name, right? Doesn't explain the second murder, though

Spoilers for the quest being talked about here:
You have actually fallen for a red herring here. That is a clue, but there is another clue that points to the actual killer. The answer is not really ever spelled out for you. However, there are some effects of your choice down the road.

I actually felt this quest was an example of some of the good ways that the writing covered up for the limited possible outcomes of a quest like this. There were believable reasons for each of the people to be involved and suspected. Like a real detective story!

Violet_0

Banned
Spoilers for the quest being talked about here:
You have actually fallen for a red herring here. That is a clue, but there is another clue that points to the actual killer. The answer is not really ever spelled out for you. However, there are some effects of your choice down the road.

I actually felt this quest was an example of some of the good ways that the writing covered up for the limited possible outcomes of a quest like this. There were believable reasons for each of the people to be involved and suspected. Like a real detective story!

e: ohh I just noticed I should speak with some of the NPC outside the temple. Okay, now he has an
alibi
and one of the new dialogue options was hidden in a dialogue tree that I already went through ...

it'a well-written quest though, I agree. I just find it quite frustrating that the game doesn't highlight when there's a new dialogue option available, and doesn't grey out text for dialogue options that you already picked. Seriously, CRPGs have been doing this for decades, why do I have to look for a "again" in every sentence

JP

Hopefully, it gets patched soon.
We could be in luck...hopefully.
Brian Fargo - inXile said:
We are aware of the frame-rate dropping down on a few of the larger areas with Torment and we are on the case working on a solution. The game is still quite enjoyable but we will continue to provide updates to improve the experience, as we do with all our games.

inXile said:
Though many of our players have finished the game without issues on all platforms, a few players on consoles have reported that they are running into performance drops. We have heard your feedback and want to assure you we are already investigating these reports and looking into solutions.

Currently, we've identified that performance drops can occur in some of the game areas that have more characters and visual effects, and can also be triggered by background memory cleanup while playing. If you have any specific feedback about how we can improve, such as certain locations or situations you have experienced trouble with, please let us know and we'll mark those for investigation.

We are currently working on an update to solve this issue as soon as possible, and will keep you informed.

InXile aware of Torment: Tides of Numenera issues, working on updates (Eurogamer)

Trigger

So Erritis... I'm at the point where I can
jump into a Mere to find Mazzof
however it seems like a point of no return. Is Erritis
"cure"
past this point or have I missed something?

I'm worried about this too.
No one was saying much that could be helpful so I just advanced the plot. I really hope that I didn't screw him over

Billfisto

inXile said:
Though many of our players have finished the game without issues on all platforms, a few players on consoles have reported that they are running into performance drops.

Yeah, no. It runs at like 20fps in the initial tutorial-ish area and button presses sometimes don't register for the dialog panel because the engine's having such a hard time keeping up. If there are framerate drops beyond that, hoo boy.

Szadek

Bought the game a few days ago, because I couldn't find Horizon anywhere, but from what I heard I should probably wait for few more patches.

Durante

I just finished (second area) the
Valley of Dead Heroes and the Necropolis
. The setting and story continue to grow on me, even though all the battles in the
Endless Gate
were a bit exhausting.

Anyway, it's almost 3 am, so the game must be doing something right.

I just finished The Fifth Eye, which is one of my favourite areas in any game ever. The characters, stories and quests threading through there are so striking and multi-layered.

bati

I just finished (second area) the
Valley of Dead Heroes and the Necropolis
. The setting and story continue to grow on me, even though all the battles in the
Endless Gate
were a bit exhausting.

Anyway, it's almost 3 am, so the game must be doing something right.

What battles? :^)

Top Bottom