• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

So does this stack for people who have played Planescape Torment?

I loved the story of the original, the combat was fine. Ignus was so interesting, if tragically so.
The art too. Just curious since had I any money when it was kickstarted(or any money now to purchase it) I would of been a backer. Tyranny also looks fantastic, and I've yet to complete pillars because I need to readjust how soft RPGs have become in comparison to classic CRPGs and stuff like BG or Icewindale. I keep getting murdered by level 1 wolves.
Heh, makes me feel good though and brings back that feeling of playing an older RPG like Fallout 2 or the above mentioned.

Anyway, thanks in advance for whoever takes some time to answer my question! Lucky to those that get to play it,
precious manthing.

Just did a few more hours in the game, at almost 10 for now, have only 3 quests completed, haven't completely explored some areas of Sagus Cliffs yet.

This is an amazing videogame. I purposefully kept my expectations at minimum and they were exceeded tenfold. So many curious interactions, concepts(
Like the construct who wants to give life to children
), characters. It's way more than what I was hoping for. Bravo to InXile for what they've achieved so far, I sincerely hope the rest of the game lives up to it. What a tremendous follow-up.

Spoilers for the quest being talked about here:
You have actually fallen for a red herring here. That is a clue, but there is another clue that points to the actual killer. The answer is not really ever spelled out for you. However, there are some effects of your choice down the road.

I actually felt this quest was an example of some of the good ways that the writing covered up for the limited possible outcomes of a quest like this. There were believable reasons for each of the people to be involved and suspected. Like a real detective story!

The answer is spelled out later if you pick the right answer.
She admits it when you meet her in the Valley of Dead Heroes.

Grazzt

Didn't realize this has come out.
Anyone knows if I can change my pc backer key into an Xbox one key? Don't have a pc that can run this game :(

Eusis

Didn't realize this has come out.
Anyone knows if I can change my pc backer key into an Xbox one key? Don't have a pc that can run this game :(
There was an offer to get a console key too (not in place of, too) but not enough people were interested in that since it was an extra $18.

I'd just redeem the key and hope for the best, you might be surprised. Though it probably mainly depends on if you're running on a 64-bit OS or not.

Violet_0

Banned
ok, I'm pretty sure the Peerless battle is what everyone was complaining about. It really does suck (and the game just crashed for the first time). I do find it quite funny though that you can stealth all your party members and they can pretty much go anywhere undetected. The battle system is bad

earlier there was a crisis that was seemingly unavoidable and required you to kill all enemies
mirror in the control room under the city
. Had to reload because my party really does not have any combat skills. My Nano MC only has a healing spell, and I'm at the last open quest in the city

erragal

earlier there was a crisis that was seemingly unavoidable and required you to kill all enemies
mirror in the control room under the city
. Had to reload because my party really does not have any combat skills. My Nano MC only has a healing spell, and I'm at the last open quest in the city

That's the only time I've used an attack during a crisis. It's avoidable by just not doing it but doesn't seem to have an alternate resolution once you trigger it.

It's really funny playing Torment to avoid combat encounters after my Tyranny playthrough was to punch almost everyone in the face. Also mere's are quite fun, remind me of Lost Odyssey side stories with a choose your own adventure aspect, with some in game repercussions. Neat stuff. Fun game with a compelling story. Making the early Rhin choice caught me off guard, genuinely made me think about why I'm dragging a child around crazy interdimensional hotspots.

bati

I find this pretty refreshing actually. Matkina or whatsherface is already a problem since, if you're a typical rpg player who saves the main quest for last, you get her at the end of act 1. By then you have an already established party and this game also happens to lack the XP catch-up mechanic that most modern rpgs have for companions so you end up with someone who's behind the curve. This shit annoyed me to no end in BG2 where you can get new companions 50h+ into your campaign.

MartyStu

The answer is spelled out later if you pick the right answer.
She admits it when you meet her in the Valley of Dead Heroes.

She is
clearly unstable, and does not follow any of the rules or clear goals that would drive the other two.

Oh and
She is the only one that runs away.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty obvious. Still a really good setup.

Carcetti

Anyone else have game freezing problems? I can't advance when one Bloom quest always freezes the game when I try to finish it and claim rewards. It's the one with the cultists and the scientist.

I can't seem to get past this so I guess I'll have to shelve the game until they fix it.

SivArcher

Neo Member
This game have released on steam, I am hesitating whether get this or not.
At some point I love the gameplay and story part, on the other hand I scare I might fall asleep during the gameplay LOL

Szadek

Next time I hear someone talking about how bad Planescape's combat is, I'll send him a video of this game's combat.
It's shit, doesn't matter of this game's is even worse.
Although, I suppose it gives you a very good reason to avoid combat as much as possible.

kionedrik

Next time I hear someone talking about how bad Planescape's combat is, I'll send him a video of this game's combat.

I don't get the combat sucks comments, I truly and honestly don't.

First of all, I believe I'm halfway through the story and I had a grand total of zero mandatory fights so far. All the fights I had so far (
Peerless
Ghost lady's dad
and
Sorrow fragments
) were part of side quests.
Second, I think all those fights combined lasted 5 minutes. It's such a minor inconvenience and it's completely being blown out of proportion.
Third and last, it's not a horrible system at all. Is it perfect? Absolutely not but it's also not what people are claiming it to be. It's more than serviceable and adds a couple of nice ideas to what otherwise would be a pretty standard tactical turn-based system.

As far as performance goes during those fights I can't comment. Maybe I'm part of the lucky 1% that had no issues (crashes or bugs) during said fights.

ah, thanks
I was just a bit unsure since it's specifically pointed out that he didn't admit his guilt. He's the only one with a motive, the mutant eats every body part and I couldn't find anything that implicates the women, plus she's one of the possessed so already tied to another quest. The big hint is that Mallet wanted to have that position and work for what's-his-name, right? Doesn't explain the second murder, though

This is one of the really awesome things about this game - that NPCs can be involved in multiple quests / plotlines, or even just have extra things to talk to them about if you come back later with another party member / at another stage in a quest. It makes them feel like actual entities in the world rather than just Questbots that you get a quest from then return to being scenery dressing once their quest is complete. RPGS need to do more of this in general.

Just discovered an annoying bug. Went in
The Anechoic Lazaret
with my party, had
the conversation that happens when you walk in
and then saved the game,
before the crisis
(!). After loading the game though my party
was stuck in a Crisis with no turns
, I couldn't move or attack and ending the turn did nothing.
How can I report it to InXile?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I just reached
The Bloom
. Game is still great overall, but that last Crisis was terrible.

Yep. Worst Crisis in the game so far IMO as well. I won't mention where it is or what it's about since spoilers, but the mechanics of that one are very frustrating if you are trying to play in a non-combat way AND are the kind of PC that cares about others. Very frustrating. I think I reloaded about 4 times on that one to get a result I could be happy with.

Spoilers below for those interested, but seriously it is spoiler-ly for plot and settings:
Miel Avest is a cool place and seeing it burn down is kinda fun, except the "fire" effects are a bit lame looking and HOLY SHIT IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RUN AROUND. Every other move my character would just plot a route through the fire, take damage, stop for 10+ seconds to register the damage, take another step still in the fire, take damage again, stop again for 10+ seconds, repeat until finally though the fire or dead. Walking around is just frustration incarnate due to the poor pathing and lack of waypoints. I'm not really sure it's possible to save everyone in that Crisis, some of those other castoffs are all the way on the other side of the map through either lots of fire or too many turns of stop activate shield thing, take a few more steps etc. Very frustrating.

And what is with the leader lady of that place during that encounter with the Sorrow? Does she get murdered if you wait around long enough? I was scrambling so frantically every turn I could barely figure out what she was up to other than trying to lead the Sorrow away from me.

Durante

Ok, this is just evil.

Within the same hour or two, the game basically made
Rhin
the most powerful character in my party and then
gave me the option to send her home
, which of course I must, given that I'm a goody two-shoes hero type.

Durante

Well, at least "fixing"
Erritis
didn't end up with
him leaving my party too.
I was actually scared that might happen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well, at least "fixing"
Erritis
didn't end up with
him leaving my party too.
I was actually scared that might happen.

Really? I ended up cutting a deal with the demons that they'd leave his strength but would stop influencing his behavior as I thought curing him would remove him from my party.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm in
Miel Avest
right now and it looks like there's a point of no return. I still have an active companion quest for
Erritis
, do I need to complete it before I proceed?
e: I supposed I could just save and find out
e2: meh one almost completed quest was cancelled, but I don't really want to go through all this again

how far into game am I when I've reached
the Bloom
?
and I might as well ask, how exactly do the tides influence the game? I used to be Blue and Blue/Purple until very recently, then Blue/Gold and now I'm actually Gold/Blue because I'm apparently just a nice person

Menome

Any point going over the two pips with skills other than extra % during tests?

In dialogue tests, being 100% gives you a chance at a Critical Success, which refunds the points spent. In combat, 100% will also ensure you do the maximum damage possible from your attack.

Durante

Really? I ended up cutting a deal with the demons that they'd leave his strength but would stop influencing his behavior as I thought curing him would remove him from my party.
Well, that's what I meant.
I didn't even see an option to completely "cure" him.

SoCoRoBo

So does this stack for people who have played Planescape Torment?

I loved the story of the original, the combat was fine. Ignus was so interesting, if tragically so.
The art too. Just curious since had I any money when it was kickstarted(or any money now to purchase it) I would of been a backer. Tyranny also looks fantastic, and I've yet to complete pillars because I need to readjust how soft RPGs have become in comparison to classic CRPGs and stuff like BG or Icewindale. I keep getting murdered by level 1 wolves.
Heh, makes me feel good though and brings back that feeling of playing an older RPG like Fallout 2 or the above mentioned.

Anyway, thanks in advance for whoever takes some time to answer my question! Lucky to those that get to play it,
precious manthing.

It's not great to be honest. It really takes a lot of cues from Planescape to the extent that much of the story structure and beats are exactly the same. This isn't really deployed to any great effect, and it feels like you're playing an inferior riff on a classic.

Without wanting to spoil, there are some great moments in the game where the writing shines and is on a par with Planescape, but they're few and far between. Some of the climactic story moments that would be the equivalent of meeting Ravel or Trias in Planescape just sort of happen out of nowhere and then are gone. It's a really disorganised game in terms of ideas and structure.

One of the biggest failings is the companions, who are just quite boring generally. None of them really serve to illustrate the world. It's pretty annoying because occasionally you'll meet a really cool NPC and be like 'why couldn't I get THAT guy in my team'.

Taruranto

I can't believe anyone thought the Inspiring Presence's sound effect was a good idea.

Game is starting to become slightly more interesting, but it's pretty much this:
It's not great to be honest. It really takes a lot of cues from Planescape to the extent that much of the story structure and beats are exactly the same. This isn't really deployed to any great effect, and it feels like you're playing an inferior riff on a classic.

I read the next locations should be better, so far it feels like a disjointed mess.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me, or is there virtually no party banter? I think I've heard it once or twice in 20+ hours.

I heard some good ones between Rhin and Erritis.
Sadly, Most of the banter I heard came too late in the game. It needed to happen much sooner.

Taruranto

Made to
Miel Avest.
The part before this was actually legitimately interesting, but the setting really still feels largely a mess, I'm always learning more stuff, but nothing really comes together. In comparison, in Planescape learning about the planes, belief etc, actually created a clear picture despite how chaotic and weird Sigil was.

Also I completely forgot my main objective was to
fix the chamber,
Jesus, this is one long epic derail.

CHC

Made to
Miel Avest.
The part before this was actually legitimately interesting, but the setting really still feels largely a mess, I'm always learning more stuff, but nothing really comes together. In comparison, in Planescape learning about the planes, belief etc, actually created a clear picture despite how chaotic and weird Sigil was.

That was kinda my biggest fear. There's an acute difference between "weird for the sake of weird" and "weird as part of a cohesive whole," although it can sometimes be hard to exactly put your finger on. The first Planescape was weird, but like you said, it gradually all started to make sense, and you felt like even if you didn't know everything all the time, there was some internal logic to things that you just weren't quite grasping. It's hard to do that. On the other hand, it's very easy to just make a world full of a bunch of disparate, whacky ideas that don't really ever add up to anything, or throw together a bunch of "anti-tropes" where it's just the diametric opposite of whatever the cliched thing is.

Dsyndrome

Is there any benefit to beating the mirror enemies in the Lair of the Changing God? That crisis is brutal and I don't even want to push through it if there's no point.

Durante

I have to say I disagree with Taruranto on the setting not being cohesive. It is very weird, and it throws a lot of stuff at you, but I do think that it fits together (at least as much as PST fit together).

If anything, I'd say the setting is the aspect where they come closest to replicating what made Planscape: Torment the best game of all time, and it's honestly enough on its own to make Torment: Tides really fascinating and fun to play for me -- despite its shortcomings.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any benefit to beating the mirror enemies in the Lair of the Changing God? That crisis is brutal and I don't even want to push through it if there's no point.

You receive an bonded artifact I think. I can't remember what item exactly, but you do get a reward.

I did everything possible in Sagus Cliffs before returning there and attempting it.

Top Bottom