• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

jokkir

Yeah, I was going to ask: does anyone even care about CFL/The Grey Cup? The News (or at least CP24) is trying to hype it up so much

Hieberrr

Football in general, meh. But they are expecting a full house, so I'm sure it'll be fun for those whore are going and those watching at home.

ZZMitch

My thanksgiving was fun, parents visited and we tried to get turkey. It failed so I had steak instead... Im not a big fan of turkey anyway!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Football in general, meh. But they are expecting a full house, so I'm sure it'll be fun for those whore are going and those watching at home.

Trust me, it may not seem like it in Toronto but the CFL has a huge following with Canadians. It'll sell out wherever they put it in Canada.

Fans fly in from all over Canada just for this thing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Trust me, it may not seem like it in Toronto but the CFL has a huge following with Canadians. It'll sell out wherever they put it in Canada.

Fans fly in from all over Canada just for this thing.
Helps that NHL has a lockout?

Hey Kave_Man,

When is the NHL coming back? :(

Brinbe

The majority of people in this city will never care about the CFL or the Argos as much as Rider/Stamp/Bomber/Eskimo fans, and it's not surprising or realistic to expect us to match their enthusiasm. There's just not that close connection to the community or history for many of us. Hell, I grew up watching the team from Pinball to Flutie to Damon to now, but even I'm not exactly a hardcore fan, so just imagine those who have no idea about anything about the team or who the fuck a Ricky Ray or Chad Owens is.

Not only are there more competition for our entertainment dollars here in this city, but there are a myriad of other problems for anyone trying to become fully invested in this sport. You have this small league, with a lower quality of play, and a high yearly roster turnover. It's just hard to be too interested or invested when most of these players are not only unknown, but will just be off the team in a year or two. Same problems with trying to follow TFC or the Marlies (and at least the Marlies have been increasingly watchable as the Leafs' farm system has improved).

But it's nice to see that the game is sold out (I looked into getting tix and no way I'm paying that much!) and most of the weekly events and pep rally have been well-attended. I also have two friends from my Uni days that are on the Argos cheer squad and it's been fun following this week through their FB pics and vids.

Anyway, Fuzzy's absolutely right in that Torontonians do love themselves a spectacle and that'll make for a great crowd on Sunday. Just hope we win! I remember going to the conference finals a few years ago when we lost at home to the f'n Bombers and damn did that suck.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Helps that NHL has a lockout?

Hey Kave_Man,

When is the NHL coming back? :(

2015 half season. Once you accept that it makes seeing all this back and forth between the sides that much easier to stomach.

And the only funny thing is yeah the Argos may not have a gigantic following like the other CFL teams yet oddly enough if you removed the Argos the CFL would have some problems surviving.

It's why there was such a concerted effort about "blocking" the Bills from ever coming to Toronto permanently and even when they did come here there are some agreements by the NFL to help the CFL.

the stakes just dont feel high enough in the CFL the radio hosts seem to make more money than the players themselves.

8 teams in the league all seem to make it to play offs. Barely any running game. Crazy dumb endzone size. No stars. bleh.

Flash

Five attacks at York University in one week

Seriously, WTF is up with this school. This isnt a new thing either. This has been going on for years.

I been getting email alerts all week regarding new situations. It's pretty embarrassing and the university really needs to step its game up.

York can't help but get stuck with the worst reputation - the school that's always on strike, fire alarms/bomb threats during exam period, and then these attacks. Part of the problem stems that there is way too many students on the campus, it feels as if they are taking on way more students than they can handle in terms of capacity and now even their safety.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I heard people talking about the Argos waiting for the bus today at Runnymede. The first time I've ever heard random CFL talk in the city and I've been here a decade.

I been getting email alerts all week regarding new situations. It's pretty embarrassing and the university really needs to step its game up.

York can't help but get stuck with the worst reputation - the school that's always on strike, fire alarms/bomb threats during exam period, and then these attacks. Part of the problem stems that there is way too many students on the campus, it feels as if they are taking on way more students than they can handle in terms of capacity and now even their safety.

It's also not situated in the best part of Toronto.

Weird request and cross-posted in BST, but does anyone have the box/inserts for Diablo III that I could buy from you? I bought the digital version, but I want the box for collection purposes. Doesn't need the CD Key. I'll come grab it wherever you like in the city.

If you're still looking, I'll part with mine.

If you can use a fork, you can go to York.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, that's mean.
Anyone here apply to York and get rejected?

I got accepted, but I'm glad I didn't go. Fun fact: that white dude who killed that Asian chick at York while she was chatting on a webcam went to my high school. He had mad yellow fever.

Edit: no...snow.....NOOOOOOOO

I got rejected. >_>

They wanted me to take some language exam cause I wasnt in the country during middle school.

Course I didnt really care cause I got in where I wanted to anyway.

Ricker

Do we have enough Canadian Football fans to make a 100th Grey Cup thread or just have a few post their predictions in here?...anyway,since Toronto defeated my hometown Alouettes last week,my money is on the Argonauts for today...go Ricky Ray ;)

Yeah york is definitely a fine school. Could probably use some better management, and you do gotta be knowledgeable of where you are at certain times and just be weary. Overall it's good stuff though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do we have enough Canadian Football fans to make a 100th Grey Cup thread or just have a few post their predictions in here?...anyway,since Toronto defeated my hometown Alouettes last week,my money is on the Argonauts for today...go Ricky Ray ;)

Probably better to stay in here I don't think there is enough of a following on GAF.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope the Argos lose just so it forces Ford to get on a scale again. :lol

zedge

The lack of interest in the CFL in Toronto is saddening. Largest city in the country has the lowest attendance.

Anyway.

Go Stamps!

If you can use a fork, you can go to York.
This one girl I used to work with couldn't even read and got accepted to York. I know some brain dead people who go there. Lots of super smart ones too, though. I was going to go there because many people say you have a better chance getting into med school doing your undergrad at York (slightly less competitive I guess - not sure how true this is) than U of T but I just said fuck it. Bullshit like these sex assaults and the strikes just aren't worth it and ultimately why I'm at U of T.

Top Bottom