• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TorrentFreak's List of Most Pirated Games in 2011

Is that suggesting their DRM is working, or people don't care about their games because they use an evil DRM?

If you experienced how pathetic Driver San Francisco looked on PC, you would begin to understand why. It's late 90's PC standard. I can't finish it knowing how much better the console versions look, even though the gameplay is interesting. I'll never buy another Ubi PC game again.

NBtoaster

If you experienced how pathetic Driver San Francisco looked on PC, you would begin to understand why. It's late 90's PC standard. I can't finish it knowing how much better the console versions look, even though the gameplay is interesting. I'll never buy another Ubi PC game again.

What's differemt about it on pc?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm disturbed by how prevalent this line of thinking has become - "Company X isn't going to localize it so I'll just steal it!"

Pirates are the scum of the earth.

Region locking is such an outdated concept and I feel no sympathy whatsoever for any "lost sales" due to a decision not to make the product available in that territory. Of course, calling any piracy of an unavailable product "lost sales" is fucking ridiculous on its face.

Furthermore, you should probable expose yourself to some real problems in the world if you think these people are the scum of the earth. Seriously, I don't pirate games and I don't support it, but I do advocate against shitty opinions.

Tuck

Disgusting. Portal 2 and Mario deserved those sales. The only one I kind of understand, though still don't condone, is Xenoblade, since for a while Nintendo was being kinda prickly about it.

Alrus

Where did you hear that?
It didn't even sell 10k in the UK in its first week.

It probably did a lot better in France and Germany than in UK you know, people need to stop considering the UK as a representative of the whole european market.

edit: not saying it did 100k in two weeks but it's possible.

Mxrz

Bluray kills piracy! Just make your games an unstrippable 42gb!

The 360 piracy thingy is weird. Know so many folks online who do it (most use some non-torrent thing), and there is so much talk about it , yet 360 software sales dont seem that bothered.

Slayven

Bluray kills piracy! Just make your games an unstrippable 42gb!

The 360 piracy thingy is weird. Know so many folks online who do it (most use some non-torrent thing), and there is so much talk about it , yet 360 software sales dont seem that bothered.

Even before CFW they were still ripping PS3 games and people were still downloading them with no way to play. Seriously someone should do a study on pirate culture. Not just statics but the whys, and whatnot.

Disgusting. Portal 2 and Mario deserved those sales. The only one I kind of understand, though still don't condone, is Xenoblade, since for a while Nintendo was being kinda prickly about it.

That's why Gabe says, to combat piracy you need to offer a better service. When I see Nintendo not bringing games to certain regions, or the Playstation Vita being locked to one account, or Xbox 360 games being region locked, it makes me wonder why they don't try harder to appease the customer more.

scitek

Did Crysis 2 sell well? I'm sure they could have used these numbers. Then again, many of these might have been "demo" pirates.

If they're counting the leaked beta as a download, then it's not really the same, that version of the game was only like half-finished.

Berordn

Can I just be the first to say "Why did that many people care about Mario Sports Mix?" It's not like it was bad, but... a million downloads? And SS didn't even crack the top five? Pirates are a curious lot.

PC
1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000 downloads)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000 downloads)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000 downloads)
4. FIFA '12 (3,339,000 downloads)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000 downloads)

Xbox 360
1. Gears of War 3 (890,000 downloads)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000 downloads)
3. Battlefield 3 (760,000 downloads)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000 downloads)
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000 downloads)

Wii
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000 downloads)
2. Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000 downloads)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000 downloads)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000 downloads)
5. FIFA '12 (860,000 downloads)

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

good grief@Crysis 2. PC gamers talked all that smack about it, but apparently they accidentally still wanted to play it. But not pay for it. And now they're going to bitch more about Crysis 3 being consolized or whatever when it comes...Gee I wonder why that'll happen.

And didn't know Wii was so pirated. As bad or worse than 360.

I guess thinking about it, makes sense. The main deterrent to piracy on 360 is probably online, and Wii barely has online.

Why not a PS3 list while we're at it? would be very interesting to gauge relative piracy levels...

don't forget that crysis 2 was leaked months before the release.

Broken version though. Completely broken and just a few level IIRC. And I think it was just a month or two prior to release. Almost more like the Half Life 2/Doom 3 pre release leaks.

I don't get the Call of Duty and Battlefield piracy. They can't play online if they pirate it...yes?
there are people who prefer to just buy the cd-key.

on a related note, a lot of mmo games nowadays are downloaded through (official) torrents. pretty sure wow's downloader allows torrenting.

specialguy said:
good grief@Crysis 2. PC gamers talked all that smack about it, but apparently they accidentally still wanted to play it. But not pay for it. And now they're going to bitch more about Crysis 3 being consolized or whatever when it comes...Gee I wonder why that'll happen.
crysis 2 was leaked well before release date. that has at least a little to do with the high numbers. download and play it early, then buy it when it comes out.

specialguy said:
And didn't know Wii was so pirated. As bad or worse than 360.
wii games are the easiest to pirate. you don't even need to own a wii console.

Xenoblade is going to totally fucking dominate the "ratio of TorrentFreak pirate downloads to actual US sales" charts
The fact that it's above everything but freaking Mario on that Wii list should be egg on NoA's face, though. Clearly, nobody wanted this game!

"eh, so maybe a few people wanted it. Here's a delayed, limited release!"

mike23

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the Crysis 2 downloads are for a pseudo-benchmark. People say "But can it run Crysis?" for a reason. The series has gotten the reputation for being one of the most demanding and best looking games, so people are curious to see how it runs/plays on their gaming pc. They probably download it, install it, stare at it for 20 minutes, say wow and never touch it again.

Man, I hope the pirated Xenoblade copies won't deter legitimate sales here...

But NoA, you screwed yourself on this one!

...I still pre-ordered anyway.

Anyone else feel the Xenoblade #'s are somewhat morally justified. Now that I think about it, it's the only case of piracy being morally justified in recent memory. NoA basically said fuck you to Wii customers, who even petitioned and got tons of media coverage about wanting the game...so what other real avenues were available other than import?

My roommate did import Xeno, but I can completely understand anyone who decided to take this avenue. Just me though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the Crysis 2 downloads are for a pseudo-benchmark. People say "But can it run Crysis?" for a reason. The series has gotten the reputation for being one of the most demanding and best looking games, so people are curious to see how it runs/plays on their gaming pc. They probably download it, install it, stare at it for 20 minutes, say wow and never touch it again.
Crysis 2 leaked something like a month before the actual game came out. Gears 3, the top downloaded 360 game also had a leaked early version of the game. Between those and Xenoblade I would say that availability (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest reasons people pirate games.

scy

Anyone else feel the Xenoblade #'s are somewhat morally justified. Now that I think about it, it's the only case of piracy being morally justified in recent memory. NoA basically said fuck you to Wii customers, who even petitioned and got tons of media coverage about wanting the game...so what other real avenues were available other than import?

My roommate did import Xeno, but I can completely understand anyone who decided to take this avenue. Just me though.

This may be tantamount to suicide but ... I agree to an extent. I don't really blame people for going, "Well, fuck it, I'll do this then." Importing was still an option, yes, so it's not entirely guilt-free but I don't really blame those invested in the campaign to get fed up and get the game through other means.

"You should have imported it, but I understand," kind of thing. Doesn't get them off the hook for supporting it when it does inevitably reach here though. At that point, it's more evident that it was a case of "I wanted to play it" rather than "I wanted to support it."

Chatin

Modding, I understand. Illegally downloading when the game was available for import for less than what it would end up being sold for locally? Can't really justify that. I would have much rathered Nintendo just get off their ass and localize it in the first place, as I modded my wii a week or so before their announcement, but let's not be silly.

On the other hand, I would be curious how many downloads Mother 3 has garnered since release and translation.

Modding, I understand. Illegally downloading when the game was available for import for less than what it would end up being sold for locally? Can't really justify that. I would have much rathered Nintendo just get off their ass and localize it in the first place, as I modded my wii a week or so before their announcement, but let's not be silly.

On the other hand, I would be curious how many downloads Mother 3 has garnered since release and translation.

I guess we'll have to disagree there. Nintendo didn't get off their asses, that's the point. And I find it difficult to fault those who would have paid $50, petitioned to do so, and then got the finger from NoA (albeit with PR jargon and a smile) to go out and download a game, at least until it was available if ever.

But then again my views on both the laws and place of filesharing in 2011 differ from lots of people. Obviously I'm not getting into that here, but my view on this issue stems from that.

This may be tantamount to suicide but ... I agree to an extent. I don't really blame people for going, "Well, fuck it, I'll do this then." Importing was still an option, yes, so it's not entirely guilt-free but I don't really blame those invested in the campaign to get fed up and get the game through other means.

"You should have imported it, but I understand," kind of thing. Doesn't get them off the hook for supporting it when it does inevitably reach here though. At that point, it's more evident that it was a case of "I wanted to play it" rather than "I wanted to support it."

Well I don't think "wanting to support it" should be a moral/practical prerequisite to buying/playing games. We shouldn't expect every gamer to want to support anyone other than themselves and their pocketbooks. And I think 90% of them would gladly have shelled out $50 for Xeno if NoA offered them that option, instead of doing what they did. NoA's actions for all practical purposes, invited that piracy option moreso than if they had localized up front. Obviously had they done so these #'s wouldn't be so high for this game.

Scythian

Crazy reactions over here; this are raw numbers, we don't even know if these count finished or partial downloads, etc. We can mostly guess based on this data, and yet people love jumping to conclusions.

Also, people who "hate" pirates irritate me for some reason, maybe because in my country piracy is seen as a pretty normal thing. Pirates aren't "evil".

Crazy reactions over here; this are raw numbers, we don't even know if these count finished or partial downloads, etc. We can mostly guess based on this data, and yet people love to jumping to conclusions.

Also, people who "hate" pirates irritate me for some reason, maybe because in my country piracy is seen as a pretty normal thing. Pirates aren't "evil".

I'm fascinated to know what culture on earth doesn't see theft as unacceptable.

And, really? "Partial downloads"? Are we really, really going to even entertain the concept that a meaningful percentage of these are "incomplete"? And how does that change anything? The intent to steal remains, even if the attempt is a "failure".

Scythian

Wat?

I can not guarantee your safety.

I should clarify that I don't endorse piracy personally (I don't pirate, and I dislike piracy in general), but pirates aren't public enemy #1, and is more like a situation that needs to be solved correctly, a social issue if you will, not a plague.

I'm fascinated to know what culture on earth doesn't see theft as unacceptable.

And, really? "Partial downloads"? Are we really, really going to even entertain the concept that a meaningful percentage of these are "incomplete"? And how does that change anything? The intent to steal remains, even if the attempt is a "failure".

I don't want to start a heated argument, but I'm inclined to say that "piracy" =/= theft. The real problem starts when someone makes a profit from it.
In my country, people pirate left and right, my teachers mostly project pirated movies in class, parents who buy pirated CDs, family who downloads games, etc. I don't like it, but I don't hate my teachers, parents or my family for that.
And, before stating a conclusion, I believe that we should consider all possible information, not just go with almost meaningless raw data from a torrent site.

scy

Well I don't think "wanting to support it" should be a moral/practical prerequisite to buying/playing games. We shouldn't expect every gamer to want to support anyone other than themselves and their pocketbooks.

"Wanting to support it" felt like the best way to word it. Essentially, buying it now, even after pirating it, at least shows that it was more than "Cool, I want to play it."

I'll probably buy a copy when it hits the US even though I went the import route. And haven't even played it yet :|

Wat?

I can not guarantee your safety.

People should be able to speak openly and intelligently about issues that affect the gaming culture, even if those views might be a minority. Endorsing the act of piracy in itself is much different than stating one's personal perspective on the act and culture surrounding it. We're all not obligated to think the same way, are we?

"Wanting to support it" felt like the best way to word it. Essentially, buying it now, even after pirating it, at least shows that it was more than "Cool, I want to play it."

I'll probably buy a copy when it hits the US even though I went the import route. And haven't even played it yet :|

Yeah, I'll probably end up rebuying the NA version too, even though my import won't be any different besides being a different region. I just sort of feel obligated to support the game I've bitched so much about us NAer's not getting! :p

Is there supposed to be anything changed or added at all for the NA version?

Throavium

Most of the Xenoblade downloads are from people in North America who didn't want to import the game, because they thought that Nintendo wasn't going to localize the game, not justifying the action, just stating the most likely reason.

Top Bottom