• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

cripterion

Sorry for the bump but considering all the DLC, and the patches released so far, has the game really changed for the better since the abysmal release?

Anyone still playing this can share their opinions on the current state of the game? I know there are the official forums and totalwar center but these guys are way too passionate and complain about the most ridiculous details at times so looking for input from fellow gaffers.

Getting all the DLC would cost a pretty penny but I'm actually interested in some of the new campagins and factions. Would consider getting them all but need to know if the game is playable and somewhat fixed from it's initial state.

GeoGonzo

I haven't played in a long time so I really can't give you an informed opinion... but I'd probably advice to wait for a steam sale.

KorrZ

The game is much better than it was at release, though it's still pretty sad compared to past Total War games like Medieval 2.

It's very fun and playable though with a good mod like Divide Et Impera.

Anyone know if its actually optimized yet? I have an itch to play a grand strategy game, and want to finally tackle DeI. But is it worth installing again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump this thread, but there's a steam sale going on, and I'm wondering if the many patches have improved the performance at all? Shogun II ran pretty well for me, but I heard terrible things about Rome II's launch and am a bit wary of picking it up even at a 66% discount.

Also, assuming the performance has improved, are any of the expansions worth picking up?

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry to bump this thread, but there's a steam sale going on, and I'm wondering if the many patches have improved the performance at all? Shogun II ran pretty well for me, but I heard terrible things about Rome II's launch and am a bit wary of picking it up even at a 66% discount.

Also, assuming the performance has improved, are any of the expansions worth picking up?
Quoted because I'd like to know too.

Pooya

performance is better now, it's been more about stability for me than raw fps though. It's a demanding game, but it still manages to run on ulv core i7s and integrated gpus, I think it's 'acceptable' now for how this series has always been and demanding newer hardware every time... at launch the game was just not playable, it's ok now. if you've something on par with 670gtx and a good CPU you should be good. shogun 2 still performs better, I think it's the better game too ...

as for the expansions, I'd play the base game first and see if you like it or not before spending more money into it. they don't alter the game much unlike previous expansions for this series, they add more campaign maps and new units, it's more of a dlc, I don't think they're necessary, more units are always good though.

Pooya

here

Code:
Technical and performance improvements:

Battle
• Unit ‘stuttering’ in battle has been improved. 
• Improved reflections in rivers on the battlefield. 
• Ship reflections now appear correctly in battles. 
• Fixed a crash in large scale multiplayer battles containing over 14,000 combined soldiers in total. 
• Fix for a crash which occurred when selecting reinforcements on the minimap during battle replays. 

Campaign
• Reduced the game's memory usage in Campaign modes, and when saving Campaign games. 
• Fixed a rare crash which happened when placing the mouse over a building in the construction queue. 
• Rare Campaign crash fixed, which triggered shortly after battle results were displayed. 
• Fixed a crash which occurred after an un-walled port assault in Hannibal at the Gates campaign. 
• Fixed a very rare texture crash when moving the camera around the campaign map. 
• A rare crash which occurred after declining to fight a battle as a reinforcing army while the camera was still moving on the Campaign map has been fixed. 

Battle AI improvements:
• Significant improvements to attacking siege AI’s use of siege engines, allowing them to better co-ordinate assaults through breaches and gates while also reusing previously docked siege vehicles. 
• Improved AI's ability to re-start siege assault tactics after responding to units sallying out of a settlement in a siege battle. 
• Fixed an issue in the attacking siege AI which could cause individual units or small groups of units to split off from the main force and attempt to burn the city gates elsewhere. 
• Improved the Battle AI's usage of artillery to breach walls in siege battles. 
• Made a range of improvements to battle AI pathfinding in settlement battles. 
• Fixed an issue in a specific Egyptian city map variant which caused the AI to ignore siege equipment and always opt to burn down the gates. 
• Fixed a bug in the deployment system which could cause the attacking siege AI to deploy far away from the city, sometimes facing the wrong direction. 
• Fixed a bug which sometimes prevented the attacking siege AI from recognising existing wall breaches from previous battles in the same campaign turn. 
• Introduced evasive manoeuvres in defending siege AI for units defending walls which are under enemy bombardment and are likely to collapse. 
• Fixed an issue in the attacking siege AI where AI units would sometimes be assigned incorrectly to siege vehicles, or multiple AI units would be assigned to the same siege vehicle. 
• Improvements made to the Battle AI's evaluation of task priority in settlement battles, enabling it to better direct attacks against higher concentrations of enemy units, as well as co-ordinate more effectively with reinforcements. 
• Fixed a bug in siege battles when the player was defending, which caused ally AI armies to become idle in certain situations. 
• Improved AI's wall targeting in siege battles, to prevent it from attempting to dock two siege towers on the same wall segment, for example. 
• Enabled the Battle AI to better co-ordinate attacks in settlements through multiple breaches, gates or streets simultaneously. 
• Fixed a rare crash bug which occurred when an AI general's bodyguard unit is completely killed while the rest of the army is entering the breaches in a siege battle. 
• Introduced better co-ordinated attacks from multiple directions in minor settlements as well as some fortified settlements. 
• When a unit under Battle AI control is changing formation, due to being attacked on multiple fronts, it will now take more consideration of its facing, to avoid presenting the enemies its back or flanks. 
• Fixed issues where AI's naval reinforcement units became unresponsive after splitting up into multiple groups upon disembarking. 
• Battle AI will now use melee units in addition to missile units to defend settlement walls when useful. 
• Fixed issues with battle AI's sally out behaviours in settlement battles. 
• When defending a settlement against bombardment from naval artillery, battle AI is better able to attempt to avoid casualties. 
• Improved AI deployment logic for several settlement maps. 
• Occasionally units given move orders on the battlefield would remain stationary for a while before moving. This has now been reduced. 
• Fixed an issue which sometimes allowed the attacking siege AI to command their siege towers into settlements. 
• Fixed issues in the attacking siege AI in naval siege battles, which caused some disembarked units to go idle. 
• Battle AI is now more likely to pick up siege equipment, when it's been dropped by other units being killed. 
• Fixed a bug where the Battle AI was incorrectly determining whether it had sent a unit to pick up a piece of siege equipment. 
• Fixed a battle AI issue in which it would move to capture courtyards with victory points but fail to actually take the capture points due to its placement of units within the courtyard. 
• Battle AI made more aggressive when attacking unfortified settlements to avoid losing due to timeout. 

Campaign AI improvements
• Campaign AI is now more likely to defend settlements instead of running away. This should lead to bigger and more frequent battles. 
• Improved Campaign AI siege behaviour - Campaign AI now tends to maintain sieges longer and construct more siege equipment against major settlements when besieging. 
• Improved Campaign AI building repair behaviour. 

General battle improvements
• Units on the battlefield now blend / fade out when they get very close to the camera, to avoid clipping / seeing into the unit models. 
• Improved siege vehicle docking, to reduce the chance of ladders rotating back and forth indefinitely, when attempting to dock against a walls in siege battles. 
• Battle replays now save and replay the weather as it was in the battle being recorded. 
• Fix for capture points sometimes being connected to the wrong buildings in some battles with multiple capture points. 
• Improved the combat behaviour of flanking enemies while attacking in formation, so the units are more concerned with attacking the flank of the enemy unit, rather than drifting to the front of the enemy, and potentially nullifying the flanking attack. 
• Units can now fire at animal handlers once they've released the dogs. 
• When the player selects multiple siege vehicles and attempts to dock them on a wall, only one will be given the order. The player must now manually order siege vehicles to dock on a settlement wall. 
• Battering rams will no longer cause collision when they are destroyed. 
• Units now more effectively pick up battering rams that have been dropped while they were attacking gates. 
• Improved how units move through wall breaches: ◦ Individual men will not attempt to walk through solid fort walls as their unit passes through a breach. 
◦ Fixed cases where units ordered into settlements via a breach would not move. 

• Siege vehicles are less likely to get stuck on small buildings and rocks outside of a settlement, becoming inactive. 
• Reduced units from climbing siege ladders in single file, up one side of the ladder. 
• Fix for units ignoring docked siege towers in favour of ladders and captured gates where the siege tower offered a more appropriate route. 
• Attackers can no longer see defenders in multiplayer land/naval battles during the deployment phase. 
• Fixed a bug where units in defensive stance were not reacting correctly when attacked in melee and therefore not performing as well as expected. 
• Increased cost of Indian Armoured Elephants. 
• Cavalry will no longer be able to push through enemy units without experiencing losses. 
• Balkan General units will now have the expected melee attack value in battle. 
• Units will no longer continue to target and attack an enemy unit if they lose visibility of it. 
• Improved pathfinding for large attacking AI armies in unfortified settlement battles, so the army does not become idle when attempting to reform. 
• Adjustments to morale mechanics to limit certain defender exploits. 
• Units will now look further for targets when on walls, to increase melee engagement. 
• Capture points have been removed from custom coastal battles. 
• Stopped AI controlled units getting stuck and spinning in one spot after disembarking in the medium Alexandria battle map. 
• Fixed a Greek minor port map, to prevent ships from going through the shore when disembarking. 

General Campaign improvements
• Fixed a bug that made Vigiles units disappear from garrisons in Campaign modes. 
• Fixed an issue with undestroyed transported armies were being destroyed on the campaign, if their transporting army was destroyed in battle. 
• Faction’s fame levels can go up and down, but you could never return to fame level 0. This has been fixed. 
• Fixed an issue where in some situations, after sacking a settlement, the game would re-issue an order to sack the settlement again. 
• Grand Campaign map snow now appears correctly on settlements in the North East of the map. 
• Added some missing localised audio to the start of the fly camera fly over at the beginning of the Hannibal at the Gates Campaign, when playing as the Arevaci faction. 
• Campaign AI will no longer pick galleries siege equipment. 
• The Duty Calls event in the prologue campaign will now trigger correctly, preventing a progression blocker. 
• Thracian Warriors added to Odrysian Kingdom garrisons. 
• Upgrading certain buildings will no longer remove units from available recruits pool. 
• Objectives requiring specific buildings will now trigger correctly after the building is constructed. 
• Edicts will no longer remain active in provinces that are shared with a client state if the faction stops being your client. 
• Resynchronisation has been sped up in Multiplayer Campaign mode. 
• A congratulatory message in the Grand Campaign, which incorrectly triggered when winning a battle by ambushing and AI, instead of successfully defending against an ambush has been fixed. 
• Swapped the bonuses for the "Votive Offering" and "Feast" barbarian festival campaign events. 

Usability Improvements

Battle
• Siege vehicles will now correctly line up with bastions when docking. 
• When a player commands a group of units to enter an enemy settlement with multiple ladders docked, the units are less likely to all focus on climbing the same ladder. 
• Units will no longer clip through / walk under the terrain near a gate in a Barbarian City map variation. 
• Fix for un-reachable bastions in Barbarian city maps. 
• Fixed a gap under a gate in the Carthage (large) battle map. 
• A map where ships would sail across the land while attempting to disembark has been fixed. 
• Improved deployment zones and collision placement in several battle map variations. 
• Fixed a floating river in Eildon battle map. 
• Improved collision around battlefield town tiles, to make units navigate around them more effectively. 
• Tooltips will now show up when placing the mouse over barbarian ports on the battlefield. 

Campaign
• A progression blocker has been fixed in Multiplayer Campaign mode, when pressing "end turn" at the exact same time as the turn timer reaches 0:00. 
• "Ally under attack" interface in Campaign modes is now clearer when both attacker and defender are the players allies. 
• UI fix for when an AI unit attacks the players faction, the retreated during a Campaign end turn sequence, which caused the auto resolve window to pop up and close immediately. 
• When the campaign tactical map is opened at the same time as pressing the end turn button, the campaign camera will no longer get locked in place / be un-movable when the turn ends. 
• Solved an issue that caused false desyncs after a resync had been performed in multiplayer. 
• Fixed an overlapping tooltip text when hovering over an enemy agent on the Campaign map. 

General
• A New system has been put in place to handle when a player disconnects from a multiplayer game. Instead of causing a draw, this judges which player is in a better position upon connection loss. Draws are now much rarer and more representative of the battle conditions. 
• Sound settings changes in the options menu, now take effect when saved, without the player having to re-open the sound options menu. 
• Fixed Quick Battle disconnections which occurred when entering the lobby. 
• Fixed a crash caused by Steam not running.

------------------------

I don't think they will make an expansion pack for this, if coh2 is anything to go by sega is changing their business model to dlc dlc dlc dlc.

I like see their warhammer game now if it's still a thing.

After not playing since launch weekend, I decided to fire this up again and went through the tutorial.

-The first battle went fine, but it wouldn't allow me to save on the campaign screen.
-The second battle went kind of OK, but some of my units were badly damaged. Again, I wanted to save on the campaign screen, but it was still greyed out.
-My advisor was telling me to siege a nearby city, but I decided to wait a couple of turns to replenish my troops. Again I tried to save, but nope.
-On the first turn of waiting, I was scolded for wasting time.
-On the second turn my troops were back to full strength, but I was fired for being insubordinate.
-GAME OVER, back to the beginning.

Well, that was a complete waste of my time. I guess I'll stick with Shogun 2.

Sober

After not playing since launch weekend, I decided to fire this up again and went through the tutorial.

-The first battle went fine, but it wouldn't allow me to save on the campaign screen.
-The second battle went kind of OK, but some of my units were badly damaged. Again, I wanted to save on the campaign screen, but it was still greyed out.
-My advisor was telling me to siege a nearby city, but I decided to wait a couple of turns to replenish my troops. Again I tried to save, but nope.
-On the first turn of waiting, I was scolded for wasting time.
-On the second turn my troops were back to full strength, but I was fired for being insubordinate.
-GAME OVER, back to the beginning.

Well, that was a complete waste of my time. I guess I'll stick with Shogun 2.
The tutorial is really bad, I would skip it and go to the grand campaign, really.

zulfate

Indeed it is. I really want to like Rome2, so I may just try jumping into the campaign over the weekend.

Just play multiplayer, I honestly didn't like the campaign on neither of the total war games.....sorry if that is blasphemous.

I have found a ton of cool people (all Europeans) been interesting talking to some who think Americans are straight cowboys still lol.

Add me on steam:zulfate

Dmax3901

I've finally gotten back into this after months of not touching it with Patch 14. Seems to finally be working well enough and look good doing it.

Fuck the DLC pricing though. Blood and gore for three bucks, fuck off.

zulfate

I've finally gotten back into this after months of not touching it with Patch 14. Seems to finally be working well enough and look good doing it.

Fuck the DLC pricing though. Blood and gore for three bucks, fuck off.

yeah and its not even that good but i bought them during the steam sale for $1

zulfate

I bought the steppe horseman tribes dlc and I hate it. I was expecting to live a mongol invasion fantasy but the units don't survive for every long :(

Oemenia

Banned
Hey guys new to the TW franchise here. Most people say Rome TW and Medieval 2 TW are the best. I know that Rome 2 is regarded a remake, is it best just play that instead of the original game especially now that the bugs have been ironed out?

Sober

Hey guys new to the TW franchise here. Most people say Rome TW and Medieval 2 TW are the best. I know that Rome 2 is regarded a remake, is it best just play that instead of the original game especially now that the bugs have been ironed out?
Unless you have a real preference for any specific era, I would say jump in with Rome 2 or Shogun 2, honestly. Rome/M2 are still fine but you will be missing a huge amount of changes from that to post-Empire games, especially going back, so I don't recommend that.

And for the most part most of the game seems to be been patched really well in Rome 2 anyways.

Oemenia

Banned
Unless you have a real preference for any specific era, I would say jump in with Rome 2 or Shogun 2, honestly. Rome/M2 are still fine but you will be missing a huge amount of changes from that to post-Empire games, especially going back, so I don't recommend that.

And for the most part most of the game seems to be been patched really well in Rome 2 anyways.
I find games to be a great way of learning a bit about history, most importantly it sticks in your head since its way more enjoyable than reading Wiki entries so for that reason I really don't to miss out on Medieval 2. Currently I own that game along with Rome and Empire.

My main question though is will Rome 2 make Rome 1 obsolete?

M2 was my first TW game. It was a lot of fun at the time (although the sarcastic take on the Medieval world annoyed me), but yea, it's quite dated now - particularly the UI.

I would recommend starting with any one of Napoleon, Shogun 2 and Rome 2.

Sober

I find games to be a great way of learning a bit about history, most importantly it sticks in your head since its way more enjoyable than reading Wiki entries so for that reason I really don't to miss out on Medieval 2. Currently I own that game along with Rome and Empire.

My main question though is will Rome 2 make Rome 1 obsolete?
Rome 2 has a lot of stuff just in general that they've added since either Empire or Shogun, like automatic reinforcements (they don't cost money or take up recruitment/retraining slots) being one of the big things that make it hard to go back to older games. That and not needing a diplomat agent to initiate diplomacy with factions.

That being said, Rome 2 on its own has a lot of drastic changes even from Shogun 2. Armies must be lead by a general/admiral, so no captains anymore or leaderless armies. But in the same sense armies have more options than just simply moving and attacking with the stance system. But in the same case there is no more recruitment at a settlement, rather you recruit from an army and your location determines who you can recruit. Provinces are now a series of settlements that all work like provinces of old do, but also differently (everything is still contained at the settlement unlike Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2) ala in Rome/Med2.

Obsolete? Perhaps. Especially now that the campaign map is larger than Rome 1's, more playable factions, no nameless factions (even the minors have names and colours), tech tree, cycling weather. The only minus might still be the politics system each faction has but most people hate.

Although if you want to know something specific about what the old games did that the new games either removed entirely or improved on.

TheTrain

We’ve announced the definitive version of ROME II – the Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition.

Emperor Edition collects together all free content to date, which includes wide-ranging revisions, additions to game features and adds a brand new Campaign Pack expansion, ‘Imperator Augustus’.

Most importantly, existing ROME II players will receive all of the above content via automatic update on the day of launch, upgrading them to Emperor Edition at no cost.

We go into a lot of detail about what’s included in this month’s episode of Rally Point, so join Craig and Matty in this episode to find out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aukvxuZ1VcM

A beta will be available soon that will test some of the features in Emperor Edition, please keep an eye on our Facebook, Twitter and official forum for details!

totalwar.com

Poltitics and Civil War changes
- Poltics factors in how civil war works (FINALLY)
- Relies on you power of influence
- Multiple Civil Wars can happen
- Your own armies, regions, general will swap sides (rather than the doomstacks)
- You will get warning messages, it won't just randomly appear.
- No longer unavoidable (you can avoid them)

CA denied ONLY the Family tree and a game edition including all paid DLC.

Credit to the steamforum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/214950/discussions/0/35221031814717088/

Awesome, I've been playing through the campaign again, and it looks like I'll need to start another playthrough after finishing this one. Having some random stacks appear in Sardinia was not the earth-shattering civil war I was expecting...

Interesting. Sounds like it will be a perfect time to get back into the game... I wonder if it'll even end up being a good TW?

I actually really like the campaign mode now that a lot of the bugs have been sorted out. The army/fleet limit in particular is something I think should be retained in the future, as it adds a level of strategy in deciding where to expand, and where to reinforce. The crappy civil war and pointlessness of the politics side of things (in a game about the Roman era!) are probably my main complaints, and it looks like they're going to be addressed.

huxley00

Sorry for the bump, but it appears...after 15 patches, the game is actually kind of fixed. I'm going to install and give it another go, here is the link to the beta patch 15 (which will accompany an expansion shortly).

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/135322-Patch-15-Emperor-Edition-BETA-Live-Now!?

with the patch notes here

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?title=Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_15

Expansion notes here

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/135076-Total-War-ROME-II-Emperor-Edition-announced

It appears it will be a free expansion for everyone that bought the game.

Edit: Ensure you opt into the bata patch by going to the game properties in Steam, clicking the beta tab and using the drop down to select the Emperors beta.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Just saw a 1.2gb update for Rome on my steam, and went WTF??? Reading through the patch notes, looks pretty solid, might have to give the campaign another go. Wonder if the new Augustus campaign gives back the "family tree feel" of the first game, which was my biggest issue with the sequel.

gamma

Blood and Gore
Caesar in Gaul
Hannibal at the Gates
Whichever faction packs you like, most of them are on sale except the newer ones

Do the culture packs add factions or just make them playable? And what about the units packs?

Thank you

Sober

Do the culture packs add factions or just make them playable? And what about the units packs?

Thank you
Unlocks them to be playable, they generally play differently from what's already there. The campaigns also unlock a few factions of their own. Unit packs are worth picking up while cheap, that's about it.

gamma

What difficulty would you guys recommend I play my Roman campaign on? I've played TW games before but I was never that good at it. I don't want it to be too easy.

kd-z

Total War sale on Humble! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/totalwar/

I've never played a Total War game! I totally know what they are, but have no idea whatsoever about what the general consensus about each installment is. Which one should I get? Rome II? It's the newest available and I must admit that the material (history of Rome) is interesting.

But it is the newest, so maybe it's not superpolished yet? Maybe I should check out Shogun II?

Help!

I've never played a Total War game! I totally know what they are, but have no idea whatsoever about what the general consensus about each installment is. Which one should I get? Rome II? It's the newest available and I must admit that the material (history of Rome) is interesting.

But it is the newest, so maybe it's not superpolished yet? Maybe I should check out Shogun II?

Help!

Shogun 2 and expansions are goat. Maybe Empire+Darth Mod if you like bayonets and muskets.

Rome 2... We don't like to talk about Rome 2. Jokes aside, it had many game and performance breaking bugs - now resolved, and core gameplay had many questionable changes (reinforcements, city management and siege) but its biggest crime was the loss of the family tree.

Medieval 2 is old but has Europa Barbarorum which is a total mod with crazy amount of research behind it.

Sober

Help!
They are all good games, but some people will nitpick everything to the ends of the Earth because they've put 600+ hours into each title and noticed all the seams.

Attila: Total War is the most recent title; it came out just a month or two ago, which is why it isn't on sale.

Rome (I and II) / Medieval II / Shogun 2 all play very similarly with a mix of infantry/skirmishers/cavalry.

Empire / Napoleon / Fall of the Samurai (Shogun II) are all gunpowder games and play slightly differently.

If you've never played a TW game before, are you familiar with the basics of formation warfare? Stuff like hammer/anvil or how to deploy your forces, etc.? The tutorials are serviceable but never really teach you much beside the basic controls. (I have a really basic guide (applies to all TW games) if you're interested.)

Fall of The Samurai is the only game that doesn't have a proper tutorial. It's also a mix of traditional and gunpowder warfare.

All-in-all I would say Rome II is probably the best to pick up now. It's been fully patched and even without DLC comes with about a dozen varied factions and two different campaigns out of the box. There are a few flaws I find, but again, you put hundreds of hours into the game, you're bound to notice things you don't like. If this is also the period you're interested in, it's the easy choice.

Shogun 2 is probably the best second choice (along with the standalone expansion, Fall of the Samurai), because it's really tightly balanced. It probably also has the best tutorial (it's still kinda crappy, but the best). The factions rosters are fairly the same though with a few minor exceptions, which is why I consider it one of the tightest made TWs. If you can, there is a demo for S2 if you want to try it out. Can't remember if the gunpowder games had a tutorial in the demo (if so, check out Empire's).

I would not recommend buying TW games except Rome II from Humble unless you want splerge for the Grand Collection, because you'll miss out on any expansion packs or DLC. When they go on sale on Steam itself, you can usually pick up a gold version of the games for just a bit more than the current price. Rome 1/Medieval 2 (the older games) have expansion packs, but you can only grab them from Steam separately. (Med2's expansion is almost required for all its mods). If you don't mind not having DLC/picking it up later, whatever, but it's a little expensive. Shogun 2 DLC is really not worth getting piecemeal these days, but if you do skip it, try to grab the "Rise of the Samurai" DLC, which is a separate campaign and not just extra factions.

Rome 2 DLC doesn't seem like it's going to be bundled together anytime soon. But again, the game itself on its own now is pretty good now, bundled with mods that you shouldn't have to worry unless you want to put more time into it.

(edit: just checking but the price of the TW GM collection - all TW games available digitally except for Rome 2 + DLC or Attila is ~40$ bucks. Shogun 2 Gold / Fall of the Samurai Gold collections usually go for ~12.50$ each on Steam - if you're not sure of the back catalogue you can always fill it in later, just start with one game)

I think I might also have an Empire: Total War key and a Rome 2 DLC (Caesar in Gaul?) key from the last SEGA humble bundle too.

Giran

Total War sale on Humble!

Help!

Actually, the newest is Attila. I haven't played it myself but reactions from people who have are very favorable and say it fixed a lot of the issues people had with Rome 2. Rome 2 is generally considered one of the weaker games in the franchise and I definitely agree. It's not bad after the myriads of patches it got, just not as good as the other entries, so if you really like the time period, you can still go for it and you'll get a fine game but Rome is still preferred over Rome 2.

Shogun and Medieval are not on Steam I think and therefore probably not on Humble either, but they're pretty much obsolete anyway. Shogun 2 and Medieval 2 really just improved over them and look better to boot. Both are excellent and so are their expansions. One of these two would be my personal recommendations.

Empire, like Rome 2, has quite a few issues. Napoleon fixed a lot of them, it was essentially what Attila is to Rome 2 now.

So to round it up: pick one from Rome, Medieval 2, Napoleon, Shogun 2 or Attila based on your preferred time period and setting if you want the safest bet that you'll get a game you'll like. The most accessible for just learning the ropes is probably Shogun 2, but honestly that shouldn't be a factor in your choice, all games have adjustable difficulty and the difference in complexity isn't that huge.

Sober

Rome 2 is perfectly fine, just like Empire was. It has problems because of scale (covering way too much area and time), and funky first iteration of systems, as they are both kind of bigger deviations from the previous TW formula. It's only really noticeable after throwing 100+ hours at those games or playing the games that came after them (Napoleon and Attila respectively).

The only thing Rome 2 is kind of lacking in is personality. The politics system is a twisted black box joke that no human should spend time trying to figure out how it works and complaints about the family tree are laughable anyway, as if the Attila iteration would've even existed in Rome 2; you would've likely gotten a version of Shogun 2's instead if they did one, or it fit into the overall themes and mechanics of the game. Anything other problems with Rome 2 are mostly fixed and most people just complain that it's too different from previous TW titles.

I also don't really recommend going back to the older games like Rome 1 and Medieval 2 unless you have the patience for them or overly stretched UIs on widescreen, unless you really, really, really love your hardcore history mods that are actually just history textbooks and dissertations placed over a video game UI. Well, there are cool Med2 mods like LOTR/ASOIAF/TES/WHF total conversions, at least. Med 2 also has the only point of it being the only older game in the actual middle ages period, Rome 1 I really wouldn't recommend to anyone nowadays.

--

Also re: my earlier point about DLC/expansions, I still recommend buying the older games on Steam because they bundle them all together (except Rome 2). But if you don't mind buying in now and filling it out later:

Rome 1: Barbarian Invasion + Alexander expansions (Humble unclear if R1 comes with BI like Steam, no one really plays Alexander or uses it for mods? correct me if wrong)

Medieval 2: Kingdoms expansion - pretty much required for all the huge mods, even the small ones, really. If you want Med2, wait for a Steam sale and get the gold bundle.

Empire DLC: Only the Warpath campaign, gives you a more focused campaign, the rest is just mostly unit DLC.

Napeolon DLC: Again, only the Peninsular campaign is an extra, focused map, the rest is unit DLC.

Shogun 2 DLC: Blood Pack most people like, it's cheap and fun. Rise of the Samurai is a completely new campaign on the same map with different factions, rosters, tech, buildings. The extra factions (Ikko Ikki, Hattori, Otomo) actually have different playstyles from the rest of the base factions. The rest is unit DLC.

Fall of the Samurai DLC: Blood Pack is shared if you own both. Faction DLC is alright, just a few unique units and some different starting bonuses but really minor other than starting locations.

Rome 2 DLC (a little more extensive):
-most people get the blood pack, mods enhance it even more
-Imperator Augustus is listed but is just part of the "Emperor Edition" which is the latest Rome 2 patch everyone gets and gives you a second campaign in the base game.
-Faction DLC units exist in game, but you can't play them without the DLC that unlocks them as playable, even with mods. Most of them are good (more on that below)
-Hannibal at the Gates/Caesar in Gaul add new, smaller scale campaigns, new factions and units, very good.
-Wrath of Sparta (campaign DLC) is alright if you like the era it's set in (pre-Rome) but really lacking in variety, doesn't add much else.
-Beasts of War is meh, mostly skippable.
-Daughters of Mars is another unit pack, mostly skippable (but makes TW fans mad, so it's worth it)
-Greek City States lets you play as Athens/Sparta/Epirus - you want this if you like playing Greeks.
-Nomadic Tribes gives you cav heavy factions to play with, not a fan myself but vary different variety
-Pirates and Raiders gives you Balkan tribes, which are vastly different from Celtic/Germanic tribes.
-Caesar in Gaul expands on Celtic/Germanic tribes rosters
-Hannibal at the Gates adds Iberian tribes, which are very different entirely
-Black Sea Colonies is a little meh, adds mixed rosters mostly, Greek mixed with another faction is all. Skip unless you like the factions they give you.

Giran

Empire just has really poor campaign AI (even by TW standards) and the scale issue. Rome 2 just has questionable decisions all over and the scale issue. The importance of navies is diminished by giving the ability to conjure strong magic boats to land units, the politics system in its entirity, they removed the ability to command units without generals and on top of that also removed hiring a unit from a distant province so resupplying front lines with elites is now ridiculous and they want you to use some of your generals as errand boys, one turn per year making your agents and generals drop like flies, the awful UI and the brown/indigo color filters present in almost all non-winter battles, small and medium sized battles wrapping up in a mere minute or two. And this is after they fixed other mind-boggling decisions like having no seasons. Even the very first Total War game had seasons. Or putting capture points in field battles.

I'm sure there are mods out there to change some of those things and even some mod compilations that affect many of them at once but it's probably better to give a less poorly designed experience to someone new to the series.

Top Bottom