• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Sober

Empire just has really poor campaign AI (even by TW standards) and the scale issue. Rome 2 just has questionable decisions all over and the scale issue. The importance of navies is diminished by giving the ability to conjure strong magic boats to land units, the politics system in its entirity, they removed the ability to command units without generals and on top of that also removed hiring a unit from a distant province so resupplying front lines with elites is now ridiculous and they want you to use some of your generals as errand boys, one turn per year making your agents and generals drop like flies, the awful UI and the brown/indigo color filters present in almost all non-winter battles, small and medium sized battles wrapping up in a mere minute or two. And this is after they fixed other mind-boggling decisions like having no seasons. Even the very first Total War game had seasons. Or putting capture points in field battles.

I'm sure there are mods out there to change some of those things and even some mod compilations that affect many of them at once but it's probably better to give a less poorly designed experience to someone new to the series.
so you actually didn't play patch 15 and beyond I see

Sober

Only real complaint is the politics system. It's not defendable at all, it's pretty useless and doesn't really do much except inconvenience you once or twice later on in the game anyway.

Navies are fine, transport fleets can't move that far and the ships can't even ram and have almost no HP. Even if you're outnumbered with your fleet you can pull it off or autoresolve will be greatly in your favour anyway. All it needs is seasickness from Attila, honestly, to cripple unguarded transports even more.

One General, One Army system is how it's gonna go, no amount of complaining will revert it. It's perfectly fine in EE, do we need any more screenshots of ETW's Ottomans and their 5000 microarmies to prove a point? If you don't like it, you don't like it, but the system works fine.

If you turn your generals into errand boys to shuffle elites to the front, I don't know what to say, really, either, it's never been an issue for me that I've resorted to having to do that (when just using that general to raise an army is enough) and you have options from recruiting lower tier troops, building better infrastructure to support your war, or just mercenaries to fill in the gaps.

1TPY is fixed with EE, I never had issues with agents or generals anymore. They last a good 60+ turns before dying naturally, which is more than enough considering the average campaign lasts ~200-250 turns anyway.

UI is garbage, I'll give you that.

Filters you can mostly mod out or use an injector to help with that. Otherwise, personal preference. They're mostly there for local flavour. Mediterranean maps and Northern Europe maps and North Africa maps and Far East maps all have their own filter for a reason.

Battles last plenty long in EE since they boosted morale, slowed down killing rates by pretty much removing Bonus vs. Infantry on nearly all sword infantry (making swords vs. spear main lines fight it out much longer instead of swords massacring spears in melee). Most large battles can last a good 10-12 minutes now.

Giran

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but the system works fine.

That's the thing, I would like it if it worked fine. The whole microarmy thing is moot anyway since it was fixed in Shogun 2. When I first read about it I still welcomed the change of having only generals run armies (partially because I naively thought the legacy system wouldn't be hot garbage) but then give proper supply tools and don't just cut off the home provinces. Like caravans that can only move on trade routes and get a massive malus if attacked, maybe even have a turn limit to them so you can't just pump them out every turn. Working around this problem by hiring poor troops you don't want or taking the time to build up barracks late game when you shouldn't be needing it is not fine. Just lowers the overall military tech level of the campaign in its later stages.

kd-z

Thanks for the input everyone, but I ended up not buying anything - I don't really have money to spend on it right now and it would be months before I would actually play any of those games.

I'll totally get some Total Wars once a Steam sale drops, though :)

I reinstalled Rome 2 after deleting it many months ago and have been surprised how much fun it's become. After purchasing back in 2013. I've almost finished my first campaign lol. Boy do these campaigns go on and on and on though. I'm too used to CiV game times.

Mobius 1

I'm back on the PC
platform
and decided to finally tackle this.

Does it run like shit regardless of how powerful the hardware is? 980ti / i7 here and it just chugs along.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I'm back on the PC
platform
and decided to finally tackle this.

Does it run like shit regardless of how powerful the hardware is? 980ti / i7 here and it just chugs along.

What? I have everything on ultra, 1080, on a 970 and Rome 2 runs great.

Attila is a little more sluggish, though...

TeddyBoy

I played this game for first proper time last month.

I got hooked so bad, I started the grand campaign as Rome and then slowly conquered the whole the entire central and western parts of the map for Rome's glorious victory!

I know the game started off quite rough and had a lot of early criticisms but as someone who only purchased the game late it's just fantastic now :)

DrSlek

I've just begun playing Attila again on my new rig after completing TW3 and expansion.
Attila runs smooth as butter for me.
I'm having some trouble deciding between factions though. I'm stuck between doing a campaign as their the Huns or the Langobards. When I start as the Huns, I focus on building a good economy, but after about 10 or so turns everybody nearby begins declaring war on me....which I'm not yet ready for.
As the Langobards, I always migrate up to Britain in order to have an easily defendable location from which I can sweep down into Europe. The problem being that all of the Celtic tribes have alliances, and so declaring war on one in order to expand my foothold in Britain means that the other 2 will come running at me with everything they've got.

...perhaps I should stick it out with the Langobards, but stay as a Migrating horde until I have a big enough economy and doomstack to take out the Celts and establish a proper beachhead.

ruttyboy

Just starting to play Rome 2 for he first time. Get to the title menu and there's an option in the bottom right to select all sorts of different versions, like 'Original', 'Gaul' and 'Emperor'. I just want to play a grand campaign on the latest and most updated version, so which should I pick?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I can't find the answer through Google.

Just starting to play Rome 2 for he first time. Get to the title menu and there's an option in the bottom right to select all sorts of different versions, like 'Original', 'Gaul' and 'Emperor'. I just want to play a grand campaign on the latest and most updated version, so which should I pick?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I can't find the answer through Google.
Don't worry about that, it's just different screens from what I can tell.

ruttyboy

OK, looks like I managed to fix it by following this form the TW forums, bloody PC gaming, I don't know...

1-
C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2 (AppData it's hidden)

If you don't find the folder of "AppData"

just search the Folder "Rome" with Ctrl +F will appear Rome2.

Delete the folder Rome2 completly

2-

When we erase that folder we go to.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\redist

And we execute and repair(it will appear the option don't worry):

vcredist_x86-90.exe
vcredist_x86-100-sp1.exe
vcredist_x86-80-sp1.exe

Top Bottom