• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon |OT| - Bigger, Badder, Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
PhoncipleBone said:
Reverse that. How did they get the pillars from the moon to earth? Or how did the pillars somehow survive the rest of the war at Cybertron?
All the pillars were on the Ark

They showed the pictures with drag marks on the moon. The decepticons took all the pillars out ages ago, they just couldnt get the ones buried with Sentinel, since only Prime could open the Vault presumably.

Btw, you know what annoyed me?

There was this really cool looking multiple leg walker Decepticon briefly seen during the Invasion, but the Autobots never fought it :(

tenchir

A big plot hole just occurred to me.
Why didn't the deceptacons revived Sentinel the same way they revived Megatron? Sentinel wasn't dead, he was just low on energy, why the hell would they need the matrix of leadership? Can't be the vault preventing them from doing so, that's a BS excuse.

After watching the ending again at work, I noticed that
Optimus pleads (or at the very least says "Please!") with Sentinel while he was crawling away with his arm cut off. And Sentinel definitely looked like he wasn't willing to show him mercy. I feel like this tid-bit makes Optimus fatality at the end a bit more forgivable. Because even defeated and on his knees, Sentinel wasn't willing to spare Optimus. Sentinel had a chance to spare Optimus and went in for the kill (before Megatron saved him), so sparing his life wouldn't really do any good (what would they do, put him robo jail?).

tenchir said:
Why didn't the deceptacons revived Sentinel the same way they revived Megatron? Sentinel wasn't dead, he was just low on energy, why the hell would they need the matrix of leadership? Can't be the vault preventing them from doing so, that's a BS excuse.
Because
They had no Allspark at the time

Takao

Banned
tenchir said:

They used an Allspark fragment to revive Megatron. There isn't exactly a tonne of those around. Nor do we know if all the Decepticon troops knew of Sentinel's location.

duckroll

Dead said:
All the pillars were on the Ark

They showed the pictures with drag marks on the moon. The decepticons took all the pillars out ages ago, they just couldnt get the ones buried with Sentinel, since only Prime could open the Vault presumably.

No I think anyone could get to the Vault. They just couldn't do anything with Sentinel, and probably wanted to leave some pillars with the control pillar to make the entire situation more believable to fool Prime. I dunno, it's a dumb plan!

Btw, you know what annoyed me?

There was this really cool looking multiple leg walker Decepticon briefly seen during the Invasion, but the Autobots never fought it :(

I already pointed this out a few pages back when I was trying to get our resident ILM shill expert to explain that! Actually they DID fight it, but it was like... a background thing and we never saw any conclusion or introduction to the entire thing. Really lame!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Did a movie marathon at my theater

Saw Transformers: DOTM (C-), Green Lantern (good lord it sucked, a D+), X-Men First Class (B-, so so but it had it moments)

I love the ever living shit out of Transformers, this trilogy is Micheal Bay pissing over my childhood (nostalgia) and making it into some bullshit human relationship with robots in the background bullshit

Movie dragged too fucking long, I don't need the America Hoorah/Fuck Yeah montage every 15 fucking minutes

Now to the shit that pissed me off:

Starscream dies by Sams hand, are you fucking kidding me....WAT!?!
You make Shockwave look like a fucking GOD only to get owned by Seal Team 6 and Prime to finish him off.....
Movie was close to 160 minutes long, once again it was a 120 minute talk, talk, talkity, talk, emotions, then 40 minutes of robot action
The movie is called FUCKING TRANSFORMERS, yet it's still the Sam & Flavor Ho of the Month featuring robots based on the likeness of that cartoon from the '80's called something... those things that transform into different things....ah yeah Transformers

RAGE! Alert....RAGE!

Really?...Really?!?...Your gonna tell me a fucking Victoria Secret model, with her gargantuan lips and her lion face like features told MEGATRON LEADER of the MOTHERFUCKING DECEPTICONS, to "Man the Fuck Up".....Blasphemy!
When that scene happened, I wanted to rip the chair I was sitting on and fucking destroy the projector, then break another chair and launch it at the fucking screen

This movie was the most dumbed down piece of shit I have ever seen
So much hand holding, Holy Shit!
How do we describe to the viewers that such and such need to be told to get his shit right...oh I know let ask that new hotness we hired, most men just wanna see her, who came here to see robots duke it out? amirite?

Hero

GraveRobberX said:
Movie dragged too fucking long, I don't need the America Hoorah/Fuck Yeah montage every 15 fucking minutes

Really? What parts of the movie were 'America Hoorah/Fuck Yeah' to you? I bet you can't even name three, let alone claiming it happened every 15 minutes.

GraveRobberX said:

Saw Transformers: DOTM (C-), Green Lantern (good lord it sucked, a D+), X-Men First Class (B-, so so but it had it moments)

I love the ever living shit out of Transformers, this trilogy is Micheal Bay pissing over my childhood (nostalgia) and making it into some bullshit human relationship with robots in the background bullshit

You make Shockwave look like a fucking GOD only to get owned by Seal Team 6 and Prime to finish him off.....
Movie was close to 160 minutes long, once again it was a 120 minute talk, talk, talkity, talk, emotions, then 40 minutes of robot action
The movie is called FUCKING TRANSFORMERS, yet it's still the Sam & Flavor Ho of the Month featuring robots based on the likeness of that cartoon from the '80's called something... those things that transform into different things....ah yeah Transformers

RAGE! Alert....RAGE!

Really?...Really?!?...Your gonna tell me a fucking Victoria Secret model, with her gargantuan lips and her lion face like features told MEGATRON LEADER of the MOTHERFUCKING DECEPTICONS, to "Man the Fuck Up".....Blasphemy!
When that scene happened, I wanted to rip the chair I was sitting on and fucking destroy the projector, then break another chair and launch it at the fucking screen

How do we describe to the viewers that such and such need to be told to get his shit right...oh I know let ask that new hotness we hired, most men just wanna see her, who came here to see robots duke it out? amirite?

Calm yourself man. I could practically feel the rage as I read this

Red UFO

Action was nice in this, but that didn't save how bad it is. I think the thing that stood out the most to me in this was the film's identity crisis. Every scene lasts about 5 minutes (in the first three quarters) and every scene is so different in tone that it's just incredibly jarring. It feels like Bay get's straight up bored filming a scene and just moves on to the next, I noticed this in this scene where that bird-thing (laser-beak?) is shooting Sam in the office - How does he get out of that? It just cuts to another scene! It's attempts at emotional resonance are so heavy handed and on the nose that it's just feels odd (actual spoilers:
Iron Hide's death was a perfect example of this; 5 seconds were spent, a bit of melancholic music and NEXT!
). The humour is dumb beyond belief.

But yeah, it looks and sounds pretty great and it's the best live-action 3D I've seen. I also actually liked Sam in this, even if he was a bit of a dick.

Neo Child

Banned
It seems Sam is just oblivious to being hurt by Decepticons. Getting shot at by like 10 of them at the start of the 2nd film and then getting nose-fucked by the Doctor.

vani77a

Neo Member
its the worst of the 3.

the first and second was entertaining, this one just drags on and on. frankly i'm disappointed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
GraveRobberX said:

i was honestly more surprised than disgusted at this.
i think they wanted to kill off the megatron generation of transformers so they had to kill them somehow.

you wanna know why that is? its cheaper to have people acting and doing stupid shit than it is having robots doing cool shit.

i always hated the stupid humans in transformers properties. fucking lame.

i was surprised that it happened because somehow she knew the interpolitical notions of an alien race and how to exactly push his metaphorical buttons. What the hell was megatron doing most of the movie anyway? he was being a drunkard hobo, that's what.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hero said:
Really? What parts of the movie were 'America Hoorah/Fuck Yeah' to you? I bet you can't even name three, let alone claiming it happened every 15 minutes.

I meant to say the American military "Might" triumphs, but here you go

1. Yeah being in the Saudia Arabia desert doing "Black Ops" to protect America national security

2. The one where Epps and his shadow crew roll up and start a car brigade to go to Chicago, get there, then pussy out lol, playing somber music, and showing those we already lost cuts

3. The Helicopter loading up scene, trying to instill America = Badass, Winged Suits = the key to victory

4. Autobots are good with only the US Government, follow their rules/regulations, lead director calls shot ie, you Follow the Us orders

5. Autobots get saved by Seal Team cause you know...America fucked up Osama, so why not Decepti-creeps

Would you like me to continue?

GraveRobberX said:

RAGE! Alert....RAGE!

Jesus, dude. Calm down.

GraveRobberX said:

1. Yeah being in the Saudia Arabia desert doing "Black Ops" to protect America national security

2. The one where Epps and his shadow crew roll up and start a car brigade to go to Chicago, get there, then pussy out lol, playing somber music, and showing those we already lost cuts

3. The Helicopter loading up scene, trying to instill America = Badass, Winged Suits = the key to victory

4. Autobots are good with only the US Government, follow their rules/regulations, lead director calls shot ie, you Follow the Us orders

5. Autobots get saved by Seal Team cause you know...America fucked up Osama, so why not Decepti-creeps

Most of that had nothing to do with "America fuck yea!"

I saw this movie in the third dimension - wish they would've cut out the entire first half. Action sequences really delivered, would see again just for that.

Lothars

I saw it again last night and the movie is just as good as the first time I saw it, there are some lame scenes but for the most part it's a great movie.

JdFoX187

Banned
GraveRobberX said:

RAGE! Alert....RAGE!

Dude, calm down. You're going to burst a blood vessel.

Zzoram

The plot makes little sense, but it looked cool.

Cybertron was destroyed in this movie. I wonder if that has any implications. Probably not.

Megatron's hobo look was cool but made little sense for a machine with no need for fashion accessories.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think the reason he had the cape was to hide his disfigured face where Prime nearly ripped it off in the last movie. Prime really does not like faces.

3N16MA

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I think the reason he had the cape was to hide his disfigured face where Prime nearly ripped it off in the last movie. Prime really does not like faces.

He actually shot him in the face but your point still stands.

msv

BattleMonkey said:
Most of that had nothing to do with "America fuck yea!"
Maybe not 'fuck yeah', but it is really jarring. You see military guys go ECHO ECHO DELTA CHARLIE, run around with their guns, doing effectively nothing when robots are fighting... far away in the background. Micheal Bay really has some sort of mental block when it comes to actually doing something beyond the absolute superficial with the Transformers. Shaping their characters with accents... really? Decepticons have some human do the talking for them... really?

Micheal bay should stick to action movies with humans, he has no ability to create any engaging characters if they're not.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
vani77a said:
its the worst of the 3.

the first and second was entertaining, this one just drags on and on. frankly i'm disappointed.

I'm sorry, but no. ROTF was a horrible mess of the film and the action scenes just could not salvage it. DOTM, for all its flaws, surpasses it by far.

Hero

GraveRobberX said:

Are you fucking serious? You definitely have some other agenda if that's the best you could muster. I could see maybe the first point but the rest are just your foolish eyes seeing something that's not there.

Epps was no longer part of the military, his god damn introduction in the movie says he retired.

Every other point you make is you desperately reaching for straws here. Might as well generalize that because the movie takes place in America and all the main human characters are American = TEAM AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

261532_10150701006295497_508145496_19627548_7462533_n.jpg

Blader

GraveRobberX said:

Trying too hard.

Carbonox

Saw the film again today with a friend. Was more entertaining than before, now that I was able to anticipate and fully digest scenes. Plus the 3D seemed to have been better than before. *shrugs*

Laserbeak...man...absolutely awesome. Every time.

I wonder when CGI of this level will be cheap enough to where a live action feels like the cartoon? That's primarily what's holding the franchise back.

rekameohs

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I know that Bay plays fast and loose with causality but did Sam help the Autobots in any significant way?
He helps in ROTF when he shoves the dust that randomly turns into the Matrix thing when the Robot Gods tell him it's his destiny after he dies and comes back to life.

WHAT THE FUCK?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, I meant in this one. Because it really seemed like he was a liability rather than a contributor. And a whiny one, at that.

JdFoX187

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
I wonder when CGI of this level will be cheap enough to where a live action feels like the cartoon? That's primarily what's holding the franchise back.
This movie was made for only $185 million. That's pretty damn cheap, especially when stuff like Green Lantern cost $200 million, didn't look near as good and arguably didn't have the scope of special effects this had. Then again, Bay also used a lot of practical effects as well

god this was awful.. the ending felt like it was 3 hours alone

rosie was actually the best thing about it

the 3D was alright but $30 for 2 tickets is fucking ridiculous

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont understand how people say this was awful. It was an action movie. And it deleivered in spades in that department. The action was fucking mindblowing.

Blader

Represent. said:
I dont understand how people say this was awful. It was an action movie. And it deleivered in spades in that department. The action was fucking mindblowing.

Action is meaningless if the rest of the movie is so weak that you don't care about who's fighting what.

scosher

I didn't think a summer movie could be worse than G.I. Joe. Along came Transformers 3.

A group of killer robots wants you to believe they'll just take your resources and leave you in peace, what do you decide? Trust someone calling themselves Decepticons.

Pillars set up out in the open that can portal in hundreds of other Decepticons, how do you stop? Climb a skyscraper so you can fire your one and only rocket, and when that plan utterly fails, have Optimus swoop in like a boss and shoot a missile at it. Why doesn't Optimus do this earlier? Well, he was frustrated by some building wires for 20 minutes.

Megatron chilling out, smoking his victory cigar, what do you do? Prove to the audience you aren't just a blonde bimbo and remind the killer robot that he's still Sentinel's bitch.

I know a movie like Transformers requires suspension of disbelief, but there's a point in which a movie crosses a threshold where you can't simply swallow the amount of stupidity they're shoveling down your throat. At that point, my brain switches back on, and I just have to nitpick -- like why are the Autobots taking it execution-style when it doesn't appear they're restrained in anyway from whooping ass, which of course Bumblebee subsequently does once the human's drones knock out a few Decepticons. Oh I know why -- Michael Bay tried to force in a ridiculous tear-jerker moment in the midst of an action scene.

Only highlight of the movie: Ken Jeong's cameo as Wang.

SapientWolf said:
I know that Bay plays fast and loose with causality but did Sam help the Autobots in any significant way?

Sam was the key mediator between the humans and Autobots throughout the movies. At times, the Autobots needed Sam to be the one to pass along their message because the government never fully trusted the Autobots, but when another human is vouching for them, it gave the Autobots word more credibility. Sam was also the one that
informed the Autobots about the return of the Decepticons and their plans after Wang gave him the papers and he was attacked by the Decepticon in the office

Sorry if this has been brought up in the thread before, but the premise of the movie was actually lifted from a 3 part episode from the G1 Transformers show called
"The Ultimate Doom".

Saw it again yesterday and loved it still. The action scenes will most likely never get old. Some of the flaws in it that you guys have been pointing out were more visible to me, but that did not stop me from enjoying it. Both times I have seen it in 3D, and both times I felt like I definitely got my monies worth. I have only ever seen Toy Story 3 twice in theaters, but I may actually go back for a 3rd time, which would be a first for any movie.

TUESDAY BOX OFFICE
1. Transformers 3 $13,437,461
2. Cars 2 $3,822,288
3. Bad Teacher $2,503,509

http://boxofficemojo.com/

Running over everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom