• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon |OT| - Bigger, Badder, Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Quick Q: Is Transformers 4 being made?

No word on that yet. Bay looks like he is leaving along with Shia but even that is not guaranteed. Whatever happens the Transformers franchise is a monster at the box office so Hasbro/Paramount will be making another film.

Dead

well not really...yet
Transformers 4 is pretty much a certainty.

The only question is what format will we see.

Im guessing a soft reboot. Keep the same Optimus Prime and Bumblee, bring in new villains, new humans, etc, etc.

finally got a chacne to see it on imax 3d today.

fuckin loved it. amazing experience. will write full thoughts tomorrow, too tired now.

but wow. what a movie o_O definitely watching this again

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Blader5489 said:
Action is meaningless if the rest of the movie is so weak that you don't care about who's fighting what.
To each his own I guess. When I go into a Transformers film (or any film of this type) I'm literally going for just the action sequences alone. I dont really care why they're fighting as long as the fighting is badass. And it was.

Second movie was unbelievably bad, still can't believe I went to see that in a theatre.

The novelty of the cgi wore off by the end of the first movie, and now that Fox is gone the last reason to tolerate it is gone.

Valhalla

Banned
Okay, so if you thought the first two movies were absolute trash and just thinking about them pisses you off, would you like this movie?

pottuvoi said:
Yup Transformers4 is pretty much confirmed, according to rumors Jason Statham might be the star..
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/21090/statham-wanted-for-transformers-4

Sure hope that doesn't come to fruition. I want someone completely new, that I wouldn't associate with generic action movie #14, like I do with Statham. I'm in the minority that doesn't mind Shia, but I do think he is easily replaceable of course.

oldskool

Movie was boring. My 6 year old nephew asked me 3 times "what time is it" during the movie before I told him to stop asking. If a 6 year old is bored at gigantic fighting robots... Also I'm sick of Shia and him shouting all the time.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I saw this tonight.

It made me angry

JimiNutz

Banned
I saw this last night and didn't really like it.

I'm definitely in the camp that acknowledges that the Transformer films are absolutely awful... but I still really enjoy them!!

Yes they are filled with cheesy dialogue, terrible acting, nonsensical plots, and are terribly bloated; however I squeal with glee when giant robots brutally engage in hand to hand combat.
I mean what's not to love about a giant rage filled robot shouting "I'll take you all on!" and then wailing into three other giant robots with burning orange swords, slicing limbs off, kicking ass, and then ripping another robots face in two?!!

That being said, this third film was a HUGE disappointment.
I'm not going to talk about the plot, pacing, acting, or script (I fully expected all to be awful), I'm going to talk about the action...

This felt like an alien invasion film, like Independence Day or something.
I know the Transformers are technically aliens, but I wanted to see more robot on robot action!
I was really looking forward to Optimus Prime charging into a group of Decepticons and beating the living shit out of them :(
Instead, most of the big final battle sequence was humans trying to take down robots, which is not anywhere near as cool!! The only good bit was the free-way chase and 'Mexican stand-off'.

Huge disappointment for me and didn't think the 3D added anything either - unlike Avatar.

In an ideal worl we'd get an all robt prequel about the Cybertron War... but I know this will never happen.
Booooooooo.

So I saw this again in 2D. It wasn't as bad to me the 2nd time, but still has the pacing problems and bad acting.

I did notice some things more closely though this time, and have solidified my problems with the movie.

All the Cons die so easily in this movie it seems by the hands of the Autobots (and humans kinda). Makes me wonder how the Bots were losing the war on Cybertron, haha.
Non of the major Autobots die except Ironhide
, so if feels so uneven.
Like 9 Autobots can take on a whole army of Cons. It's like they are so overpowered

This leads me to this weird feeling. There was no "battle tension", or whatever to the fights. I felt in a one on one there was no danger, the Autobot was gonna win. There was no weight to the fights. They did look cool, in a one sided way. There were were cool killings, but not cool deaths, if that makes sense. I can't really put my finger on it, but fights lacked a certain something for me (be that rage or purpose, or whatever). I only felt some during the
Prime v Prime fight

Plus I never got a feeling of dread or anything from the invasion.

To the individual Con deaths...

Starscream: He death was still dumb on how it went down. Just stupid. It was built up as this powerfull character in TF1, then he goes out by freaking out with a thing on his eye. Just grab the string and pull it, or transform and fly away with Sam on it. The whole sequence felt cheap to me.

Shockwave: Again, out like a bitch. A cloth over his eyes to help take him down? Really? Felt contrived to me. He was supposed to be all powerful, but he really doesn't do much in the movie. Does he just chill inside that worm thing the whole time.

Megatron: Destroyed by a one armed Optimus. Just seemed week for a powerful character. He was like no threat to him.

Concerning the Carly/hobo Megs scene
I did notice a couple scenes before that Carly is looking through that telescope at Sentinel and Megs arguing and Megs getting pushed to the ground. I don't know how she heard them talking. I assume this was the set-up for her emotionally manipulating Megs in the alley. I still hated that though, doesn't make sense for the character. I still wish there was a a scene that showed why he was down there.

I also noticed that cool looking Cloverfield/monster like Decepticon that you see during the initial invasion is on another scene in the background, on top of a building shooting.

I still don't why the Cons had hostages in that one part. Makes so sense when they were just killing on site before. Plus how were they even captured?

I think there was missing points in the movie where they could had fleshed out the Con characters. There is a scene where NEST is above a group of Cons, and the Cons are arguing about something and pushing each other. You can't understand what there are saying. It would had been cool to have it understandable, so we could get a little glimpse of character for these guys and what the beef is.

Overall, just a lot of wasted scenes, and missing scenes. I hope in TF4 they get a new director and new writers. Maybe even if it is still Bay. An action movie can still flow well and be tightly written. See the Rock!! :)

.GqueB.

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
I meant to say the American military "Might" triumphs, but here you go

1. Yeah being in the Saudia Arabia desert doing "Black Ops" to protect America national security

2. The one where Epps and his shadow crew roll up and start a car brigade to go to Chicago, get there, then pussy out lol, playing somber music, and showing those we already lost cuts

3. The Helicopter loading up scene, trying to instill America = Badass, Winged Suits = the key to victory

4. Autobots are good with only the US Government, follow their rules/regulations, lead director calls shot ie, you Follow the Us orders

5. Autobots get saved by Seal Team cause you know...America fucked up Osama, so why not Decepti-creeps

Would you like me to continue?
Havent seen so much reaching since I saw Fantastic Four Rise of the silver surfer. Judging by this, it seems like you think anything that includes "America" is propaganda.

Did you think Eternal Sunshine was American propaganda too because they agreed to meet in Montauk and not somewhere in Canada (which is only a few hours further?)

Dead

well not really...yet
Bay and co. royally fucked up the potential for Prime's trailer in TF3

Check out some of these early concepts for it:

NbTfz.jpg

QHuQ3.jpg

It could have been a Hoverbike for Prime!

Y7eWN.jpg

tLW9U.jpg

h6LHW.jpg

witness

Tons of haters, but my fiance and I enjoyed this movie immensely. Lots of fun, amazing CG, great fight scenes, and the new girl was the perfect antidote for Megan Fox. Leonard Nemoy and Star Trek references classed it up. We saw it in Imax 3D, a real IMAX, and it was incredible. The 3D makes me want to buy a new TV now when the Blu Ray comes out. We will end up going to see this again before Harry Potter.

Grew up with the TV series and Transformers: The Movie, infact my dad took me to see it at the cinema (that didn't happen often) and he said it was the biggest load of shit he's ever seen, now 25 years later having watched these new movies with my own son I can say the same thing.

I do still like the transformers themselves, they survived the transistion from cartoon to movie pretty well and the sfx were amazing but fuck everything else, the humans are so terrible you can't not root for the decepticons.

JdFoX187

Banned
So I was reading Paramount is looking at a $45 million weekend. That should be a softer drop than what Revenge of the Fallen experienced, right?

Dead

well not really...yet
JdFoX187 said:
So I was reading Paramount is looking at a $45 million weekend. That should be a softer drop than what Revenge of the Fallen experienced, right?
Not only would that be a softer drop, it would actually be HIGHER than TF2s second weekend

artist

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Good chances of outgrossing TF2's 2nd weekend, yes.

Dead

well not really...yet
I feel like DOTM was too restrained. Was hoping for a Super Prime finale, but at the end he basically just fought in his normal form.

They should have boosted the budget by another 50 mil and included all this shit too lol

Hellion

Saw the movie last night.

This movie is much better than TF2. Shit everything about the movie was better than TF2. Thats really all I can say... And the new girl was better.

I hope we get a a forth movie with a new protagonist and Director and new autobots. but keep Optimus.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Valhalla said:
Okay, so if you thought the first two movies were absolute trash and just thinking about them pisses you off, would you like this movie?

I thought 1 was pretty terrible, and didn't even bother seeing 2 because 1 was so... blah. But I loved 3. Fun movie.

Carbonox

Holy shit at those trailer ideas. They seriously skimped on the trailer in the film. Only two scenes where we see what it does but those ideas would have been so much more epic.

Takao said:
Man, Hasbro would've had a field day with these things.

They should make figures of them anyways just for the hell of it. Kids (and me) will certainly eat some of them up.

I really like the first armor one. Gives me an Ultra Magnus vibe.

Carbonox

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2011/07/don-murphy-no-reboot-new-trilogy.html

Don Murphy (Transformers Producer) has said that there won't be a reboot. At least, he thinks so but who knows whether or not he will remain for the next film. So it looks like for now we could hold out hope that there will be a continuation of the current movie-verse.

Also, Michael Bay has said that Jason Statham isn't going to be the lead in Transformers 4 because no one has even sat down to discuss a 4th film yet. But then how much would Bay know considering he's done with the franchise?

TUROK

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Also, Michael Bay has said that Jason Statham isn't going to be the lead in Transformers 4 because no one has even sat down to discuss a 4th film yet. But then how much would Bay know considering he's done with the franchise?
He'll probably be back as an executive producer... Or maybe he'll be back after Bad Boys 3. Well, I hope he'd be back after Bad Boys 3, anyways.

artist

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2011/07/don-murphy-no-reboot-new-trilogy.html

Don Murphy (Transformers Producer) has said that there won't be a reboot. At least, he thinks so but who knows whether or not he will remain for the next film. So it looks like for now we could hold out hope that there will be a continuation of the current movie-verse.

Bay should stick with this franchise and make sequels till he lives.

J2 Cool

Ugh. Caught it last night with a friend who desperately wanted to see it, still feel dirty. Good to know it keeps up the tradition of asinine third films, in line with X3 and SM-3. It's Hollywood gluttony at its best/worst.

Dragon

Banned
J2 Cool said:
Ugh. Caught it last night with a friend who desperately wanted to see it, still feel dirty. Good to know it keeps up the tradition of asinine third films, in line with X3 and SM-3. It's Hollywood gluttony at its best/worst.

Well there's Return of the King and then there's the third Matrix movie. So there's a nice balance.

syoaran

SilentProtagonist said:
Holy shit, it's a robot in power armor.

Honestly, I'd pay good money for a 2D animated film in this style - with a deeper story.

Going to watch 3 tonight, but I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Since it sounds like the story itself is a shambles, I doubt I will enjoy it. But here is hoping!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
J2 Cool said:
I don't know how the 3rd is any worse than the 1st. Anything in the Transformers movie franchise that doesn't involve robots rampaging has been awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom