• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon |OT| - Bigger, Badder, Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

Just came back, kind of entertaining, better then the second, worse then the 1st.
There is so much wrong with this movies but i do enjoy the action scenes.
One thing that bugged me though, the german dude who's nickname was Dutch? wtf?

tuco11

Saw it this afternoon. Wow it was bad. Sure some of the action was good but the rest was horrible. Just FYI i loved the first one and hated the second one. I have to watch the second one again to see how it compares.

Talon

tLW9U.jpg

Somebody's a fan of Gundam Wing.

EDIT: Cock and balls. We're going to get a Gundam movie with similar designs at some point aren't we? Fuck.

Dynedom

Finally saw it. It was fine. Miles above the second. I thought pacing was decent enough. First half was all over the place but not nearly as disjointed as 2. Second half (i.e. the hour-long action piece) was incredible. Some of the battles were so much better than anything in the previous 2 films, specifically
Optimus vs Sentinel
. Just pure eye candy.

New chick was fine. She was pretty god damn hot. Dempsey didn't really have me convinced. Lack of the Twins in this movie automatically made it a winner for me.

I'll be seeing it again this Sunday with my Aunt (she wants to see it, haha). Wish I could watch it in IMAX 3D though. :(

Toth

Okay, here's something that is bugging me to no end.

At the end of T2, Misha told Sam she loved him and they experienced a very powerful moment together as he died and came back. Then....she dumps him? What??? It makes no sense considering how the last film went.

DonMigs85

Toth said:

At the end of T2, Misha told Sam she loved him and they experienced a very powerful moment together as he died and came back. Then....she dumps him? What??? It makes no sense considering how the last film went.
It's actually Mikaela. Blame it on her big mouth.

JdFoX187

Banned
Toth said:

People say they love each other all the time. Doesn't mean shit. Besides, not like they could do much. Don't mention her at all and people wonder where she is.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm not even sure if I can finish watching this. It's, other than the special effects which are only the real redeeming part, it's terrible.

X-Frame

Talon- said:
EDIT: Cock and balls. We're going to get a Gundam movie with similar designs at some point aren't we? Fuck.

I really, really hope so.

Gundam and Voltron are what I am hoping to see within the next 10 years on the big screen.

TUROK said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/transformers-dark-moons-powerful-visual-208967

It took a staggering 288 hours per frame to render the Driller along with the photoreal CG building that includes all those reflections in its glass.

Jesus goddamn Christ....
I just shat my pants. Holy freaking SHIT IM. Some of that shit is just insane. Like these:

only a few artists working with ILM's most powerful desktop machines were able to load the shots where the machine takes on the building. And they sometimes waited nearly an hour for the files to load

ILM calculates that that added up to more than 200,000 rendering hours per day -- or the equivalent of 22.8 years of render time in a 24-hour period.

Xia, just what in the flying fuck kind of computers does ILM have? From the way they're describing it, it could run Crysis at max settings without breaking a goddamn SWEAT

Vyer

Story was still weak, still way too much cheese, but the action was pretty solid and this is one of the few times I've actually thought that 3D added something to the movie. I did notice the weird framing issues that someone mentioned that kind of screwed up the sense of scale, but still....quite a visual treat.

We enjoyed ourselves.

aparisi2274

Saw it tonight in IMAX 3D and I loved every bit of it! This movie totally craps all over the 2nd one. I need to see this again for sure.

I have one question. When Megatron rolled up on his little outpost where those scavenger robots were, was one of them this robot? It looked like it...

r_sharkticons020.jpg

TacticalFox88 said:
only a few artists working with ILM's most powerful desktop machines were able to load the shots where the machine takes on the building. And they sometimes waited nearly an hour for the files to load

On a good day :p

Thing was a cruel taskmaster!

near

Gold Member
I can't believe I wasted money and time on this piece of shit. I should have really learnt my lesson the last two times I gave this junk my time of day. It was terrible in every sense - the script was unfocused, the characters were literally disobedient to story telling, the directing was horrible with little sense and understanding of how to pace and cut a movie, and all-in-all a cluster fuck of retardation. There is only so much of ultimate destruction you can enjoy before it gets boring and old. For pure entertainments sake I guess I could have just enjoyed it if it was much shorter, but obviously there was emphasis on the story, its meaning, and mythology which was all planned and executed horribly.

Vyer said:
Story was still weak, still way too much cheese, but the action was pretty solid and this is one of the few times I've actually thought that 3D added something to the movie.

take out the humans and the movie is good. I just cant care for shia or that chick who is in the movie just for her looks.

MechaX

Nostalgia~4ever said:
take out the humans and the movie is good. I just cant care for shia or that chick who is in the movie just for her looks.

Personally, I think the movie still could have kept in most of the investigation stuff with Shia and Turturro and things would have still been fine. But there was absolutely no reason that half of this already long movie is filled with crap about how Shia can't get a job.

I've never really minded the inclusion of the military folk in these movies. Although, the second movie ended up being a US Armed Forces circle-jerk towards the end (with transformers occasionally doing stuff off screen).

MechaX said:
Personally, I think the movie still could have kept in most of the investigation stuff with Shia and Turturro and things would have still been fine. But there was absolutely no reason that half of this already long movie is filled with crap about how Shia can't get a job.

I've never really minded the inclusion of the military folk in these movies. Although, the second movie ended up being a US Armed Forces circle-jerk towards the end (with transformers occasionally doing stuff off screen).

Dark of the Moon is like two movies combined into one with
Patrick Dempsey being the link where he goes from smug boss of Shia's girlfriend he's indirectly competing with to, uh, the villain.

Romantic comedy action film of the year...

-viper-

Banned
I saw this movie today.

Fucking Michael Bay. It was cheesy as fuck in the beginning. It only really got good when Sentinal Prime kicked in. The action was the only good thing. Everything else? Shit.

How I would wish for a competent director to make a proper Transformers movie.... not some fucking Shia Labeouf drama or some other random shit.

Too bad it would never happen.

Is it better than TF2? Probably.. but I felt it took far too long for action scenes to kick in.

.GqueB.

Banned
-viper- said:
I saw this movie today.

Fucking Michael Bay. It was cheesy as fuck in the beginning. It only really got good when Sentinal Prime kicked in. The action was the only good thing. Everything else? Shit.

How I would wish for a competent director to make a proper Transformers movie.... not some fucking Shia Labeouf drama or some other random shit.

Too bad it would never happen.

Is it better than TF2? Probably.. but I felt it took far too long for action scenes to kick in.
Its a better writer you want. Not director, writer. I honestly cant imagine many others directing the action scenes in these movies better than Bay. Fucker knows how to excite. I would love someone with a better handle on the material to write one of these movies. All that "I cant find a job" stuff and "humans helping robots" crap was so extra. It didnt even matter in the end.

A couple of shots with Sam working some mundane job wouldve gotten across the whole "I feel useless" story arch they were trying to tell. Sam saved the world and now hes just working at target? Thats craaaazy.

-viper-

Banned
I don't know about that - there was a LOT of unnecessary scenes in TF3. The first hour was boring as hell. It was literally all talking. I honestly felt Resident Evil Afterlife is a better movie.

It's true action scenes were very good, but a lot of TF3 simply felt cringe and douchey.

edit: Statham + Transformers 4? Holy shit - I would love it :eek:

Dunno how they can make a sequel though - they've killed everyone!

Meus Renaissance said:
Don't we have a Gaffer who works for ILM? I would love to know what the specs on those machines are. Are they running commercially available hardware?
Those machines have 40 GB of RAM. Take from that what you will.

Talon- said:
Somebody's a fan of Gundam Wing.

Not much different from the awful shit we have seen in recent gundam series.

DonMigs85

TacticalFox88 said:
Those machines have 40 GB of RAM. Take from that what you will.
In addition, they're still using massive server farms, Quadro or Firepro GPUs and multi-core Xeons I believe. Not exactly typical commodity hardware.

Dead

well not really...yet
Estimates are in for a 47 Million 2nd weekend.

Not only is that a softer drop than TF2s 2nd weekend, but its also a higher gross. TF2 had a 42 mil 2nd weekend

DonMigs85

TheVampire said:
Damn Optimus was fucking brutal at the end of this movie.
I actually felt sorry for poor Megatron.
I mean, he could have easily killed Carly in rage but he resisted, and he was addressing Optimus pretty politely. He didn't appear to kill any more humans or Autobots in this movie either. He was just chilling in the alley feeling sorry for himself, and he looked so happy when Cybertron loomed in the sky.

Mr. Sam

DonMigs85 said:
I actually felt sorry for poor Megatron. I mean, he could have easily killed Carly in rage but he resisted, and he was addressing Optimus pretty politely. He didn't appear to kill any more humans or Autobots in this movie either. He was just chilling in the alley feeling sorry for himself, and he looked so happy when Cybertron loomed in the sky.

Man oh man.

-viper-

Banned
This film was stupid because the portroyal of Megatron and Starcream was fucking terrible.

MEGATRON IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FUCKING BADASS, is he not?

And Starscream IS NOT simply Megatron's little bitch.

ReiGun

I take it I wasn't the only one disturbed
by the way the Autobots ripped apart that one decepticon when they got back
? I mean, those are our heroes?

Carbonox

ReiGun said:
I take it I wasn't the only one disturbed
by the way the Autobots ripped apart that one decepticon when they got back
? I mean, those are our heroes?

The Wreckers' purpose is to destroy. They're the Autobot commando unit.
So it wasn't surprising for them to do what they did.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just saw the second movie. It was horrible.

Twins = Jar Jar level bullshit

The movie was one giant advertisement for the Navy and Airforce

And they ruined Devastator for me. He (they) were one of my favorite things about the cartoon during my childhood. Fuck you, Bay.

Kyaw

Got back from an IMAX 3D viewing. Loved the action and badass sequences.
The visuals were a treat and i enjoyed the 3D too.

You can't say the same for the story though but whatever.. i don't watch Transformers 3 for the story...

I would have loved less human and more robots though.
Loved the sequence at the beginning on Cybertron. The setting just screams epic sci-fi to me.

I want a Transformers film on Cybertron only and without stupid humans...

Good thing they had a reference to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon too.

Also was there anything after the ending credits?

3N16MA

Banned
Well I finally saw it today. I think I may be the last of the regular posters in this thread to see it. Everything before the Chicago scene could have been cut down a bit. I understand that it's following the formula of the previous films. Slow burn with some flare ups followed by a big battle/climax at the end. Overall I enjoyed it more than ROTF but not as much as TF1. 3D was great and like Avatar proved when it's done right it can be very enjoyable.

Edit: Also forgot to add that Rosie looks better in motion than in photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom