• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor tops 1 million copies sold

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bastion got dat extra 2 mil from Vita ;)

I might buy this in the sale, heard it was fun but already watched the ending from my girlfriend's play through.

Unless there are multiple endings?

Nice! Going through my second play through right now.

Good for them, but I do hope that they improve with their next game. Transistor was a nice package with some good ideas, but I don't know if I ever played a 4h game that felt so repetitive as this one.

The enviroments were nice at first, but pretty much all locations looked the same, and the battles felt like the same ones repeated over and over again. Not really a fan of the idea of disabling abilities as a punishment for taking hits in battles either.

It was ok, but far from amazing.

But it encourages experimentation. I appreciated it greatly. Changing your skills around is the main thing you can do to make the battles feel less repetitive.

I do agree with you that a lot of the environments somehow feel samey

Grief.exe

All the marketing on release was geared towards the PS4 version, I remember in the release thread people were convinced it was a PS4 exclusive.

EvB

I bought it day one on ps4 , I adored bastion when it came out on 360 , but I just couldn't get into Transistor.
I might buy it on iPad and play it when I fly to Paris tomorrow

overcast

One of my favorite games of this generation. Everything came together and made such a memorable experience.

Well deserved success.

For those that didn't like the combat, were you aware that you could completely switch up the gameplay?

I played through the first time as an SRPG, then the second time as an ARPG with maximum difficulty. I found the latter to be more fun.

No, and would love to know how!

Sapientas

Awesome new and well deserved. My GOTY of 2014 and one of the few games that made me want to replay it instantly.

Looking forward to their next project.

ike_

Yep, this game and that OST! Helped me drive home from work so many times. And when that song came on it made me drive a little faster.

Anyone else really happy for this guy?
Yes I really am because Greg is awesome one the best folks in the industry!
No. Why would I be happy for a successful dev that makes good games?
Because greg is not just a "dev" is an industry vet who knows his stuff, did some of the best journo stuff the industry has ever seen well before anyone else.
Video reviews in the early 2000's that still hold up.
And overall hell of a nice guy.

AyanFaust

Banned
Wonderful game. Like bastion, it's among my favorites. Hell, the ost alone puts it high on my list. Has anyone by chance heard of super giant has been working on any thing else? Its been a little bit since transitor was released, and I'm eager to see what else they do.

Granted they've probably been spending a bit of time doing all the ports and stuff as well...

Of course 80% of sales are on PC, when most everyone on PS4 would have gotten it while it was free. There's no way of telling how many copies are actually downloaded on PS4; it could be that the PS4 version has 1 million downloads as well and is actually the strongest platform for the game (or it could also be that only 10 people played it on PS4. There's just no way of telling)

Even then, there's no way of telling if 80% of sales were on PC. This wasn't a "we've sold 1 million!" announcement, it was an offhanded mention in a Holiday blog post and mentions that they're over 1 million. For all we know, they may have sold 1.3 million, 1.5 million or whatever. You can't just assume they've sold exactly one million.

Anyway, congrats to Supergiant. Bastion's been stuck in my backlog for forever but I did play and love Transistor. I'm hoping the Vita release will help me get around to Bastion sometime in the next couple of months.

KraytarJ

Hmm? It's been a long while since I've played that game so I have no idea what are you talking about. Hopefully it'll make sense when I eventually go back to playing it, lol.
The time stopping thing that allows you to plan your attack. If you don't ever use it the game can be played like an ARPG rather than an SRPG.

Clawww

The time stopping thing that allows you to plan your attack. If you don't ever use it the game can be played like an ARPG rather than an SRPG.

yeah, you can set up your kit to be functional without using 'Turn' once you've beaten the game (I think)

kasavin

Thanks for the support in here folks. Really means a lot that the game has been so well regarded and (as I wrote in the original post) it mostly just means we get to keep going. To answer a question that's come up in this thread a couple times, Transistor has sold over a million copies, meaning PS Plus downloads are not included in that number since the game was free on PS Plus for the one month. In terms of the number of people who've played (as opposed to purchased) the game, it's much greater, which is cool.

But it encourages experimentation. I appreciated it greatly. Changing your skills around is the main thing you can do to make the battles feel less repetitive.

It did encourage experimentation, and there where a lot good options to try out, but I did end up frustrated very often, and yet I usually don't mind a bit a bit of a challenge. And I can't say it helped against the feeling of repitition, when you were fighting the same kind of enemies in the same kind of enviroments so often. I thought Bastion did a bit better job in that aspect.

So happy for them :)

I adore both Bastion and Transistor. This dev will always have my support Day 1 similarly to Frictional. I want to support teams that make fantastic games like these without a huge budget or staff.

Keep it up SuperGiant cant wait to see what you make next!

Well deserved, but sad to see it didn't sell even more. Hopefully it has really long legs.

Eagerly awaiting the announcement of Supergiant's next title. They're easily in my top 10 favorite developers now putting out two really strong, imaginative and visually striking games.

Really amazing experience, one of the few games I actually went and got the platinum for. Excellent games, bought Bastion as well during the PSX day sale, will get to it once I finish Great War.

Incredible game, deserves to sell more in my opinion.

But I'm glad that they're doing well enough to keep going so I can play whatever they develop next.

Clawww

It did encourage experimentation, and there where a lot good options to try out, but I did end up frustrated very often, and yet I usually don't mind a bit a bit of a challenge. And I can't say it helped against the feeling of repitition, when you were fighting the same kind of enemies in the same kind of enviroments so often. I thought Bastion did a bit better job in that aspect.

it was completely different for me. I would literally switch up my kit at every terminal because there were so many cool/strong combos you could achieve, and you're pretty much constantly unlocking/upgrading stuff to open up new, increasingly varied/broken, possibilities.

rickyson1

nice

was one of my favorite games last year(actually played through it in one sitting then did the new game plus mode the very next day)

even bought and occasionally listen to the soundtrack

can't wait to see what they do next,whatever it is has earned a day one buy from me as far as i'm concerned and the amount of games I buy day one any given year can usually be counted on one hand

edit: my only real complaint about the game was how much of a joke the bosses were on new game plus

the regular enemies had different stats and abilities but the bosses were exactly the same so they died ridiculously easily

kinda a minor thing I guess since it was only an issue in new game plus but I remember it annoying me at the time

Awesome. I double dipped on both PC and PS4 (before it went on PS+).

Great game with great atmosphere and awesome soundtrack to boot.

Top Bottom