• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Team |OT| Surgery Isn't the Only Game in This Town

farnham

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I didnt expect the art to be this good.
We`ve come a long way since this shitty drawings:
DS%20trauma%20centre%20under%20the%20knife_box.jpg

Cant wait for the game.

from

trauma-center-2-ds.jpg

to

angie.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Aeana said:
This game is truly, truly incredible. Ever since I popped it in, I've been totally enthralled, and unfortunately neglected what I was actually supposed to be doing today. :/ I wasn't expecting a whole lot going in. I mean, I like the Trauma Center games well enough. They're pretty good. But Trauma Team is on a whole, completely different level. There's so much variety in the game, and it feels so very polished. Each of the characters has their own story that's really interesting to follow, and they all weave together as you progress through them. My favorite so far has really been the forensics stuff. It's like a fully-fledged detective game, and the cases are really interesting so far. It certainly helps that Naomi is a very cool character to follow, as well. I really can't wait to play some more and see what's next.

It's been a really long time since I've been so blown away by a game, and I can't stop gushing about it to all of my friends. I've been a little down on gaming lately, and I was actually hoping that SMG2 would be able to pull me back. It looks like I didn't even have to wait that long, though. If you're on the fence, please don't be. Buy this game. It's worth it.
You just sold me on the game.

Volcynika

Aeana said:
This game is truly, truly incredible. Ever since I popped it in, I've been totally enthralled, and unfortunately neglected what I was actually supposed to be doing today. :/ I wasn't expecting a whole lot going in. I mean, I like the Trauma Center games well enough. They're pretty good. But Trauma Team is on a whole, completely different level. There's so much variety in the game, and it feels so very polished. Each of the characters has their own story that's really interesting to follow, and they all weave together as you progress through them. My favorite so far has really been the forensics stuff. It's like a fully-fledged detective game, and the cases are really interesting so far. It certainly helps that Naomi is a very cool character to follow, as well. I really can't wait to play some more and see what's next.

It's been a really long time since I've been so blown away by a game, and I can't stop gushing about it to all of my friends. I've been a little down on gaming lately, and I was actually hoping that SMG2 would be able to pull me back. It looks like I didn't even have to wait that long, though. If you're on the fence, please don't be. Buy this game. It's worth it.

av-slime.jpg

Can't wait for my copy from Amazon to arrive tomorrow.

Aeana

DennisK4 said:
You just sold me on the game.
I hope you like it. I'm sure the majority of people won't like it quite as much as I do, but it really is a great game. If you're a fan of the Trauma Center games at all, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't like it. And if you're not, you might find something else besides the surgery that you find appealing. I haven't even done any of the TC-style surgery in the game yet. There's just so many different things to do in the game.

Something I forgot to mention is how cool the story scenes are. They play out like motion comics, which is pretty cool, and there seems to be way more voice in this game than the other TC Wii games. Actually, according to this, there's more voice work in the game than there is in Persona 4. And it's all very high quality.

Game is crazy awesome

I'm stuck on the first diagnosis

I'm guessing it's Plummer because, well, the orthopedics surgery was for a girl with Plummer's. The problem is, the game won't let me proceed without noticing the difference in the MRI and for the life of me I can't see it.

Snowballo

Tried it yesterday and loved it so far.

I've beated both Second Opinion and New Blood with all XS and I consider them the two reasons I own a Wii. So my expectation are incredible high.

Two difficult levels 'till now: Easy and Normal.
I've completed the first 6 operations using the first character (surgeon). All S (you can get a XS just playing in Hard). So far the game is not difficult at all. You have no time limits (excluding one operation).

The good thing is that the operations are long, with many different actions to perform and situations to work on.

After operation 6 (I guess) I got a message that says something like "If you want to proceed you have to complete the other 5 characters' operations too).

I started the second charachter and did just the first operation. Found it fresh and rewarding. For the first time, in the score page (the one you get when you finish the operation) I finally saw a "No mistakes" line. So the game seems not to be too easy. Or better it is at the very begin.

Comparing to New Blood (that is graphically better than Secon Opinion) I consider Trauma Team better concerning drawings and cutscenes and worst concerning the operation's graphics (the pool blood are gelly, confrimed).

My only fear concerning Trauma Team is that it could be not as long as the previous chapters. Please confirm that I'm wrong.

Anyway, if you loved the previous two, this is a game you have to buy. No dubts.

Darkky

Kudos to ATLUS for their amazing artwork. Most of the interface and character designs remind me of Persona 3 - this is a pleasant upgrade from the subpar graphic designs in the previous 2 editions. :D

Game's been intense thus far. Definitely a great buy for its price

Aeana

Darkky said:
Kudos to ATLUS for their amazing artwork. Most of the interface and character designs remind me of Persona 3 - this is a pleasant upgrade from the subpar graphic designs in the previous 2 editions. :D

Game's been intense thus far. Definitely a great buy for its price
Without seeing the credits, I'm fairly sure that the interface designer for this game is Masayoshi Sutou, who also did P3 and P4. And it's his best work yet, in my opinion.

This is brilliant. Just what the series needed. The presentation is marvellous. Story's suitably crazy, the variety keeps things fresh (you can switch to another discipline if you're bored of one) and it's just beautifully polished and extremely well-made.

Two thumbs way, way up.

Aeana

Really glad to see other people enjoying it!

Poll: How are you guys tackling the episodes?

I've been starting with the far left, and going right, and repeating row by row. It gives me wonderful variety, and the timeline works really well this way too.

JKTrix

Wow, I actually forgot how different the original game's art looked. Lookin forward to getting this tonight! <3 Atlus.

Maybe full colour discs are the norm now for Wii, but when I saw the disc on the Nintendo channel I got all excited.

stupei

ShockingAlberto said:
Game is crazy awesome

I'm stuck on the first diagnosis

I'm guessing it's Plummer because, well, the orthopedics surgery was for a girl with Plummer's. The problem is, the game won't let me proceed without noticing the difference in the MRI and for the life of me I can't see it.

If you're still having trouble, I think you're referring to the part
where there are two circles meant to indicate chemical levels in the body. The circles are a different size between the two. Unless you mean a different part of the MRI?

Aeana said:
Really glad to see other people enjoying it!

Poll: How are you guys tackling the episodes?

I've been starting with the far left, and going right, and repeating row by row. It gives me wonderful variety, and the timeline works really well this way too.

I'm a little all over the place, but trying not to get too far ahead in any one storyline. For example I started with diagnostics (since that was the one I was most interested in) and since it made direct references to endoscopy, I went to that one next.

RoboManus

Neo Member
Just waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon.

I'm planning on doing the chapters the same way, playing all the first episodes for each character, then all the second etc.

Unless I get hooked on one of course.

MechaX

Hoo boy. Getting this game is going to take some luck on my part. No one reserved the game at my local GameStop, so they're only getting 1-2 copies of it. Doesn't help that the only other means of getting the game is from GameCrazy if they're even getting it in (and we all know what their situation is currently).

This is definitely one of my most anticipated Wii titles (Between this, Sin and Punishment 2, and Metroid Other M/Corruption, my main motivation in getting the console to begin with). I fully played through both DS titles and around halfway through Second Opinion. I'm interested to see how Trauma Team spices things up without heavily relying on lasering super viruses.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon shipped out my copy late last night.
I should have it today.

But now I'm in a bind. Various Prince of Persia games... or this?

Volcynika

Mejilan said:
Amazon shipped out my copy late last night.
I should have it today.

But now I'm in a bind. Various Prince of Persia games... or this?

Well you know what answer you'll get in this thread!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've only dabbled with the first Trauma Center DS and Wii games, but never got too far before intense frustration set in.

Curious, what do ranks net you? Any incentive beyond personal pride? Am I missing out on much if I decide to play much of the game on Easy or Normal to avoid breaking my TV by flinging the Wiimote? Any reason to pick up New Blood or play through Second Opinion before jumping into this?

I'm on my way out now to snag RDR and Alan Wake, thinking of making this an impulse purchase but I will likely only be doing Single player too.

stupei

Brandon F said:
I'm on my way out now to snag RDR and Alan Wake, thinking of making this an impulse purchase but I will likely only be doing Single player too.

Trauma Team doesn't reference the past games much at all, so don't feel an obligation to play those before picking this one up. It's a new story with a new set of characters -- except for Naomi.

Probably other people who can answer the rest of your questions better (hopefully this bump helps) but just throwing in that the game being $40 should help a little in making the impulse buy. :D

kiryogi

Banned
Gonna run out and pick this up today. No idea when I'll get to it though. My training in Super takes more priority. That said, it's my only gaming purchase this month.

JKTrix

Got it, currently playing as Captain Eagle.

When I'm doing incisions and the 'combo' meter chimes, it startles me enough that I almost go outside the boundary.

Gotta turn my volume down.

Edit: Glad to see there is equal opportunity nudity here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EmCeeGramr said:
everyone ever should buy infinite copies

But they nerfed the difficulty and I don't get to have Blaylock's powers in this outing.

Oh, and it's not for the DS/proper control scheme. :(

(Still Day 1/tomorrow for it)

I just got the game and I'm being tempted to play it rather than study for my medicine/surgery finals. Really ironic. It's damn good - great voicework, art, interesting stories and varied gameplay. Folks, buy this game. It is ridiculously fun and polished. You can learn something too!

EDarkness

I ordered this game and it's on the way. Can't wait to play it. My wife and I plan on playing it together like we did the last game. Good to know that people are enjoying it.

matmanx1

I chose this one over Alan Wake to go along with Red Dead Redemption today. I love Atlus and I love the presentation and style of the game even though I've never played any of the previous games in the series before.

Oh and the price was beyond right. Can't wait to jump in.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
2009 copyright on the title screen?
Games great so far!

Game installs fine to the HDD and runs just as well, as far as I can tell.
A bit under 4GBs total.

Has anyone tried to run it using the homebrew channel with Gecko? I know on my New Blood when I switched the language to Japanese the game was in Japanese on my NTSC disk! :eek:

kiryogi

Banned
MidnightScott said:
Has anyone tried to run it using the homebrew channel with Gecko? I know on my New Blood when I switched the language to Japanese the game was in Japanese on my NTSC disk! :eek:
JP audio too?

Haha. and yah no issues using usbloader at all. Installs and runs fine.

Impulse play thus far and dabbled a bit, up to Kimishima's scenario now. I will personally say I hate playing as Tomoe. Stupid motion nonsense. Not to mention her controls are so different from normal TC layout. I was confused for the majority of the time.

RedBoot

Aeana said:
Without seeing the credits, I'm fairly sure that the interface designer for this game is Masayoshi Sutou, who also did P3 and P4. And it's his best work yet, in my opinion.

It's amazingly well-done. And it's cool to be able to recognize a designer by his interfaces, I got Persona vibes immediately.

I'm going for the left-to-right method as well, doing each character one episode at a time. It definitely allows for more variety, although I'm thinking about tossing one of the non-surgery modes (Diagnostics or Forensics) between the four surgeries, just to keep things balanced. It is kind of funny that going in order like that kind of spoils some of the initial story, since
you operate on the first Diagnostics patient in Orthopedics, thus spoiling the diagnosis,
but that's pretty minor. It was cool to do the Endoscopy and then hear it mentioned in Diagnostics. I'm a complete sucker for multiple viewpoint storylines, so I'm going to love this.

I haven't gotten to Forensics yet, but here's what I think of the first five:

Surgery: Standard TC gameplay. Still fun, though. Waiting for the difficulty to take a leap off a cliff like in Second Opinion (the only other game in the series I've played).

First Response: This was pretty cool. It's exactly like the instruction book says: faster-paced than Surgery with limited tools. I can already see this one getting intense with the multiple patients.

Orthopedics: Slower-paced and more deliberate than Surgery, a good counterpart to First Response. I do agree that the combo noises can throw you off your rhythm, though.

Endoscopy: This one is completely different from the first three. Very unique control scheme, a combination of timing, precision, and exploration, of all things. This is the only opening mission I had trouble with (I got a C...), so this one might get hard.

Diagnosis: Like someone else said, this one is surprisingly fun. Gather symptoms from the various tests you can perform, and figure out the illness. I do hope it gets harder though, the first mission was easy, but this sort of gameplay would be incredible with a little more challenge.

Really enjoying this game so far. The presentation is top-notch.

I only did the first surgery ep but I can already tell the game will be good. I'm hoping for a nice blend of new and old and it already seems like they got the latter right.

Endoscopy smacked me with a C on the first try as well. I backed up into a wall behind me, and I just could not get the hang of the item switching at first. Having to press C again is kind of annoying, but understandably necessary. And I really wish there was a Y-axis invert option. T.T

Other than that, I've done the first diagnostics, forensics, and orthopedic mission. Had a great time on all of them, but man, forensics is LONG. Way longer than any of the other levels.

Aeana

RocketDarkness said:
Endoscopy smacked me with a C on the first try as well. I backed up into a wall behind me, and I just could not get the hang of the item switching at first. Having to press C again is kind of annoying, but understandably necessary. And I really wish there was a Y-axis invert option. T.T

Other than that, I've done the first diagnostics, forensics, and orthopedic mission. Had a great time on all of them, but man, forensics is LONG. Way longer than any of the other levels.
You can invert the camera in endoscopy. Press 1 on the Wii remote when you're in it.

Volcynika

Ok, first impressions! I only did Surgery / Orthopedics / First Response / Diagnostics first missions, so I haven't touched Endoscopy / Forensics

Surgery: Standard Trauma series fare. Just like riding a bike.

Orthopedics: Not many different tools, but different things to do. The operation was really easy and I got no misses and a huge chain of awesome

First Response: Very cool setup how you have to switch patients and all that based on their current status. Could be very cool and tense later in the game when you have more patients that are all having major issues.

Diagnostics: Pretty cool! The only things I don't like about it is that it seems that I can't move the scrollbar on lists of things with the D-Pad / Nunchuck joystick (unless I missed something) and I have to use the Wii remote to do that, so it's slightly clunky to me. Also, it's more of a personal issue, but I always forget what medical term means what so when matching I have to go back and forth to verify what is what. And when checking exam results
I knew that some exams had no abnormalities, but I was looking like crazy at that MRI trying to find a difference before I figured out nothing was wrong and I had to go back to the exam room :lol

I'm liking all the characters I've seen so far (though a few you don't know too much about), but I like Gabe the most. His personality is hilarious and the interactions with RONI or whatever are hilarious.

Presentation is great, the opening music is good stuff (didn't really pick up on the actual operation music), and I'm enjoying the voice acting, but my preliminary expectations though Hank's voice would be a little deeper or more gruff or something.

Going to do co-op at work today during lunch (now THAT should be fun), and I'll hopefully tackle Forensics / Endoscopy soon like tonight or something.

Though my first impression is that the game has a lot to offer in terms of variety, and it's nice to have a game where you have completely different styles of play, either pretty high action (surgeries and such) or lay back and do some diagnostics/forensics, makes the game very accessible for days when you feel like getting into it and days you don't.

Looking forward to playing it more.

Aeana

I just noticed that the game timer still increases while you're on the home menu. Boo. That would explain why my clock says 19 hours, even though it hasn't felt like quite that long.

And man do I love the music in this game, as an aside.

Aeana

Volcynika said:
Diagnostics: Pretty cool! The only things I don't like about it is that it seems that I can't move the scrollbar on lists of things with the D-Pad / Nunchuck joystick (unless I missed something) and I have to use the Wii remote to do that, so it's slightly clunky to me. Also, it's more of a personal issue, but I always forget what medical term means what so when matching I have to go back and forth to verify what is what. And when checking exam results
I knew that some exams had no abnormalities, but I was looking like crazy at that MRI trying to find a difference before I figured out nothing was wrong and I had to go back to the exam room :lol
All you have to do is move the Wii remote cursor so the relevant scroll area is in focus, and then you can use the nunchuck to scroll up and down.

JKTrix

Suairyu said:
Sigh.

Insulting sexualising of characters is happening in Trauma Centre of all things now?

I mentioned it vaguely before, but it's not just the girls you see taking showers/baths. So at least they're not discriminating.

Endoscopy is my least favourite so far.

Top Bottom