• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Team |OT| Surgery Isn't the Only Game in This Town

Darkky

Just got through the first 3 sets of everything - gameplay has been intriguing thus far. 'Diagnostics' is irritable; 'Forensics' is totally unrelated to the Trauma theme; and 'Endoscopy' is just plain troublesome.

I feel that Atlus has introduced too many technicalities into the Trauma game this time - especially for the Diagnostics segment. It may appear to be a simple 'spot the difference' game, but most of the anomalies are actually medical conditions that are difficult to spot in the first place. How does Atlus expect us to even understand most of the technical terms in the diagnostic itself anyway?

The surgery and first response segments are exciting and pretty well designed. Orthopedics require more patience to complete but it won't disturb the pace of the game either.

Not bad for a new attempt to introduce other game elements, but some of them seem to be too contrived for the idea of a Trauma Team

JKTrix

So it looks like there is some vague indication of the chronology of the cases. Notice how everyone has the 'opening cutscene' first on their list, and then some characters have a bunch of blank dots after it?

Then notice how other characters start immediately after the opening cutscene (no blank dots)?

I think those blank dots refer to time. People who 'start' right after the opening, happen first chronologically. People who have dots lined up are doing these things at roughly the same time.

CR-S01 and Maria 'start' at roughly the same time, while Tomoe and Gabe are there from the start with Hank joining in soon after. Tomoe and Hank are involved in the case involving Gabe's son at first.

I'm saving Naomi for last because I expect that to be the most interesting/longest section.

Edit: Gabe's actor is having way too much fun with his lines.

wsippel

Banned
Excellent game so far. Not a fan of endoscopy, but everything else is fun. I really liked orthopedics for some reason. And Naomi should get her own game. A darker take on the Ace Attorney series with a strong focus on forensics and some supernatural elements - would make for a great (3)DS game in my opinion.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it... :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, this is out already?! :O

Does it have any shitty sci-fi viruses or whatever in it like Trauma Center (DS) or does it go more soft on that matter like Trauma New Blood? Those are the only two I've played... loved the co-op, good that it works a lot better in this new one tho!

JKTrix

I think they said a while back that there aren't any crazy viruses this time around. I'm at chapter 5 at this point with everyone (except Naomi, who I haven't touched), so all you have to worry about so far are ninjas and superheroes. Naomi apparently does some supernatural stuff too.

The Diagnosis is cool, but I wish I could skip some of the 'confirmation' text. It's like...

Patient: I feel bloated.
Gabe: Hmm. She feels bloated.
Gabe: RONI, write down that she's bloated.
RONI: Confirmed. Patient is bloated.
*screen pop-up*: Patient is bloated.

RedBoot

JKTrix said:

Pretty sure it's Crispin Freeman doing the voice, and he usually does a great job. I wish he'd gone a little more House with the lines though.

NightHawk17 said:
so are we finally done with these dumb ass super diseases like sin and down to a true doctor game? cause sin made me want to break my ds

The developers specifically stated this game should be more "realistic" than the previous ones. But then, we do still have amnesiac convicts, ghostly figures, superheroes, ninjas, and talking robots (and that's all in the first cases), so...maybe.

Aeana

JKTrix said:
So it looks like there is some vague indication of the chronology of the cases. Notice how everyone has the 'opening cutscene' first on their list, and then some characters have a bunch of blank dots after it?

Then notice how other characters start immediately after the opening cutscene (no blank dots)?

I think those blank dots refer to time. People who 'start' right after the opening, happen first chronologically. People who have dots lined up are doing these things at roughly the same time.

CR-S01 and Maria 'start' at roughly the same time, while Tomoe and Gabe are there from the start with Hank joining in soon after. Tomoe and Hank are involved in the case involving Gabe's son at first.

I'm saving Naomi for last because I expect that to be the most interesting/longest section.

This is correct, and it's why I've been going left to right, row by row.

JKTrix said:
I think they said a while back that there aren't any crazy viruses this time around. I'm at chapter 5 at this point with everyone (except Naomi, who I haven't touched), so all you have to worry about so far are ninjas and superheroes. Naomi apparently does some supernatural stuff too.

The Diagnosis is cool, but I wish I could skip some of the 'confirmation' text. It's like...

Patient: I feel bloated.
Gabe: Hmm. She feels bloated.
Gabe: RONI, write down that she's bloated.
RONI: Confirmed. Patient is bloated.
*screen pop-up*: Patient is bloated.

That's just Japanese game writing. I don't know if it's present in everyday Japanese conversation, but characters in Japanese games seem to naturally respond to a statement or revelation by repeating it.

Aeana

EmCeeGramr said:
That's just Japanese game writing. I don't know if it's present in everyday Japanese conversation, but characters in Japanese games seem to naturally respond to a statement or revelation by repeating it.
It is fairly common in Japanese speech, yes.

MechaX

EmCeeGramr said:

This only really stuck out to me in the Metal Gear games, where most often than not, it makes Snake appear like an absolute dope.

But as for something on-topic, I got the game, ready to go, and now I'm only hindered by the lack of batteries for my Wiimote. Boo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Darkky said:
I feel that Atlus has introduced too many technicalities into the Trauma game this time - especially for the Diagnostics segment. It may appear to be a simple 'spot the difference' game, but most of the anomalies are actually medical conditions that are difficult to spot in the first place. How does Atlus expect us to even understand most of the technical terms in the diagnostic itself anyway?

This actually hypes me up even more, but then I am studying Biomed. I would love a focus on more realistic conditions.

JKTrix

I'm familiar with Japanese speech. I wouldn't be as bothered by it if it was just the one-time repetition of it, between the humans. Maybe even with the computer repeating it for confirmation. But the game takes it one step over by pausing to stick a pop up on your screen before moving on.

I guess it's their first time doing this kind of thing, so they don't have a more elegant way of saying 'HEY THIS IS IMPORTANT' like the Phoenix Wright games do after 5 iterations. It just breaks the flow.

Edit: Much later in the game now though, it's not nearly as bad as it was near the beginning. The game UI pop-up still takes me out of the experience, but they don't repeat verbatim what everyone else says in the dialogue anymore.

I wasn't sure if Gabe was Freeman. It does sound a lot like him but Freeman is usually more eloquent...though I guess it fits this character.

wsippel

Banned
I've said it once (only a few hours ago, actually), and I'll say it again: I want a game starring Naomi. She's such a great protagonist. Extremely sexy, but not really all that attractive (if that makes any sense), and so very cool (and cold) that pretty much every male badass character would end up with frozen nuts in her presence.

I also like how evil her cases are. The second case, and that's as far as I got, is not funny at all - it's rather frightening, and very different from everything else I've seen in the Trauma series so far. I really think a whole game like that, with her as the protagonist and Little Guy as support would work.

JKTrix

wsippel said:
I've said it once (only a few hours ago, actually), and I'll say it again: I want a game starring Naomi. She's such a great protagonist.

Maybe Atlus can team up with Capcom again (remember Dante in Nocturne) for an Ace Attorney crossover with her as a major character.

Yeah, Naomi's second case is surprisingly dark. I've been going in roughly timeline-order, and finally got to do my first surgery/first response missions. Man, it was like slipping back on an old pair of gloves and having them fit perfectly. :D

That being said, I can't figure out exactly what motion it wants me to use for that stupid tube-down-the-threat section. I almost killed my patient trying to jam that thing down her throat.

wsippel

Banned
JKTrix said:
Maybe Atlus can team up with Capcom again (remember Dante in Nocturne) for an Ace Attorney crossover with her as a major character.
No! Not a crossover! She doesn't fit Takumis whimsical style at all. It's not that she isn't funny (well, she definitely isn't funny, but some of the dialogue sure made me smile), but the character and her cases are not "Ace Attorney" - at all. The gameplay mechanics might be similar, but that's about it.

Aeana said:
I love Naomi. She actually reminds me of Temperance Brennan from Bones.
Really? I thought about that, but I think they are very, very different actually. Temperance Brennan usually seems like a rather naive geek. Naomi knows her stuff, but she isn't a geek. She's a lot cooler and "wiser", maybe even disillusioned.

wsippel said:
I also like how evil her cases are. The second case, and that's as far as I got, is not funny at all - it's rather frightening, and very different from everything else I've seen in the Trauma series so far.

So the above quote actually brings up a question that I'd wanted to ask about Trauma Team. I've never played a game from this series and I was thinking of picking this one up to play with Mrs. TheFightingFish. She likes medical stuff and would enjoy the gameplay (as would I) but due to some recent medical issues in our family I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't like it if it was too serious. The presentation on this series always looked so goofy I figured that the drama would be pretty low. But if it's actually like operations on kids that go wrong or patients that die in rough fashion then we'd probably be best just skipping it. So how is the tone on this guy? Sorry for the odd question.

JKTrix

TheFightingFish said:
'Is Trauma Team Serious Business'

I mentioned a little earlier that there ninjas and superheroes. Even if it does get pretty serious, it's not like that all the time.

wsippel

Banned
TheFightingFish said:
So the above quote actually brings up a question that I'd wanted to ask about Trauma Team. I've never played a game from this series and I was thinking of picking this one up to play with Mrs. TheFightingFish. She likes medical stuff and would enjoy the gameplay (as would I) but due to some recent medical issues in our family I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't like it if it was too serious. The presentation on this series always looked so goofy I figured that the drama would be pretty low. But if it's actually like operations on kids that go wrong or patients that die in rough fashion then we'd probably be best just skipping it. So how is the tone on this guy? Sorry for the odd question.
I'd say most of the cases are pretty much standard fare, except for forensics. But with forensics, the "patient" is already dead - there's nothing anyone can do about that fact. And the circumstances you'll discover aren't funny at all. That alone makes forensics very different from all the other cases, and Trauma Team very different from the previous games. Naomis state doesn't make things any better either. You can't skip that part of the game, though. You have to deal with it to progress.

Other than that, it's a very positive, optimistic game. You usually save the day, everyone's happy, all is good in the end. Up to the point that you have people that failed to commit suicide, and learn that the world (men in particular) isn't (aren't) that bad after all after you put them back together and such. Not that it isn't moving or anything, but it can get a bit much. The odd man out, so far, really is forensics.

Ceebs

Holy cow at the Forensics section. I am enjoying this mode enough that I would buy a full game of just this.

matmanx1

Barely jumped in but I like what I see so far. I finished the first surgery mission and then started on Naomi's first forensic evaluation. I really like the presentation this time around and the music and UI definitely give me a "persona" vibe.

And I agree that Naomi should get her own game. She's a strong, sexy character and her forensic evaluations with "little guy" could support an entire game easily if the story was good enough.

kiryogi

Banned
So im cramming it some of this before my super sessions. Really loving it. Fantastic dub on top of it all. I'm really happy this turned out so well. It feels like a good next step for the Trauma series. Currently on Kimishima's 2nd case now. I appreciate at how grounded most of the game is aside from the superheroes and ninjas. No crazy viruses like the former titles. Interesting bit tho, I noticed on upon loading today, the game is 8 gigs? On a dual layer?

suzu

Surgery and first response are fun with co-op. Endoscopy... not so much. It's just annoying. Forensics seems like a solo affair, but I like it so far. Haven't tried the others yet.

Ceebs

Endoscopy would be a million times better if I could press a single button to move forward instead of sliding the remote forward. I get what it's trying to emulate, but it's just obnoxious. Really digging all the other modes though.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright heres one for medical gaf regarding Kimishima's 2nd forensics scenario

It's a spoiler too so don't read unless you want to or have finished it

What disease did Veronica have?

ivysaur12

Banned
Aeana said:
This game is truly, truly incredible. Ever since I popped it in, I've been totally enthralled, and unfortunately neglected what I was actually supposed to be doing today. :/ I wasn't expecting a whole lot going in. I mean, I like the Trauma Center games well enough. They're pretty good. But Trauma Team is on a whole, completely different level. There's so much variety in the game, and it feels so very polished. Each of the characters has their own story that's really interesting to follow, and they all weave together as you progress through them. My favorite so far has really been the forensics stuff. It's like a fully-fledged detective game, and the cases are really interesting so far. It certainly helps that Naomi is a very cool character to follow, as well. I really can't wait to play some more and see what's next.

It's been a really long time since I've been so blown away by a game, and I can't stop gushing about it to all of my friends. I've been a little down on gaming lately, and I was actually hoping that SMG2 would be able to pull me back. It looks like I didn't even have to wait that long, though. If you're on the fence, please don't be. Buy this game. It's worth it.

Ugh. You might have just sold me. Too many games...

kiryogi

Banned
haha I hate to agree with Aeana but I really love this too and might be the first genuinely good game I've played this year. (Well super was awesome by default, nothing new there) It's definitely one of those surprises of the year for me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm really loving it.

Though my only complaint is that the dialog is slow (it lacks the A button) and the operations aren't that difficult.

kiryogi said:
Alright heres one for medical gaf regarding Kimishima's 2nd forensics scenario

It's a spoiler too so don't read unless you want to or have finished it

What disease did Veronica have?

This game's "alien virus". The other characters will face the same "strange bruises".

kiryogi

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
I'm really loving it.

Though my only complaint is that the dialog is slow (it lacks the A button) and the operations aren't that difficult.

This game's "alien virus". The other characters will face the same "strange bruises".

Wut. dammit Trauma series. XD
I thought it was gonna be some actual condition but another Savato or something NOOOO! Oh well

Boss Doggie

kiryogi said:
I thought it was gonna be some actual condition but another Savato or something NOOOO! Oh well

Am I the only one who thinks "it ain't a Trauma game without alien viruses!" XD

EDarkness

Ookami-kun said:

No offense to anyone, but I was really hoping for something more grounded to real life. I own all three Wii Trauma Center games and the crazy viruses really turned me off. Didn't they say they were going to tone it down in this game?

I don't get why the viruses bother anyone

It's not like everything else about the game is realistic and it's just the sci-fi viruses that are a problem

You use magic!

The games are ostensibly about criminal syndicates kidnapping doctors and bombing conferences in order to ?????? with a virus!

One of the doctors is Batman!

I just got it earlier today (Technically yesterday, I guess).

Man, I spent around seven hours (with just a 30 min. break) playing co-op. It's such a damn blast playing with someone else :lol I totally dig how co-op works in Surgery, wherein tools can be divided among the two players so it's not an unbalanced mess (I always did everything faster than everyone in New Blood co-op :p). The fact that you could randomize also helps (Sometimes I closed my eyes and kept hitting "B" and began without looking at what we got :p).

My friend and I completed [the first parts of] Surgery, First Response, and Orthopedics. We tried Endoscopy but it was kinda...annoying. The first operation alone took us almost 12 minutes D: The constant back-and-forth in turns was distracting and everything just seemed off/clunky. We gave up on it pretty quickly, but we'll go back to it and give it another chance, of course.

Orthopedics was a lot of fun and I loved the music. What was great about co-op in this was the precision you both needed. Why? Well, when there's two friends playing a game there's conversation, naturally. Sometimes these conversations produce laughter, which makes for hilarious slips of the hand :lol We also liked the variation they kept throwing at us.

First Response was probably the most fun for us, just because it was so tense! God, what an amazing mode :D The music was top-notch and captured the mood well.

Anyway, we started playing Diagnostics but I had to take my friend home =( And even though it's a single-player mode (and Forensics), it's fun having a second person to try and figure stuff out. We'll probably just trade remotes per mission.

I need the music for this. Now. I hope Atlus goes the way of Zeno Clash and offers the soundtrack for free if there isn't an official one <3 I loved Atsushi Kitajoh from New Blood (Cardia II was fucking amazing! His rendition of the operation briefing from UtK/SO is the best thing ever) and I was so excited when I read the "Composer" section on the official website.
He's pretty cute, too

The music definitely does not disappoint. The operation briefing in this game is so...fitting...perfect. Everything else is amazing, too--especially the tense tracks :D

I'm glad Meguro wasn't chosen, honestly

OMG, I can't wait to hear the rest.

This game is probably my favorite Wii game now. New Blood has been dethroned, finally...but not by much. Trauma Team needs moar Markus <3

EDarkness

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't get why the viruses bother anyone

It's not like everything else about the game is realistic and it's just the sci-fi viruses that are a problem

You use magic!

The games are ostensibly about criminal syndicates kidnapping doctors and bombing conferences in order to ?????? with a virus!

One of the doctors is Batman!

I don't mind crazy characters. There are crazy people in the world. However, crazy viruses doing unrealistic things to the body isn't something I'm all that interested in. I'd much rather do brain surgery, fix broken bones, do open heart surgery, diagnose some illness, etc. These things are cool and why I watch medical shows on TV.

fernoca

Forensics is like playing the investigation parts of Phoenix Wright..loving it..just spend like 3 hours in the first case (though I had to do it twice :p )..but loved it! :)

kiryogi

Banned
EDarkness said:
No offense to anyone, but I was really hoping for something more grounded to real life. I own all three Wii Trauma Center games and the crazy viruses really turned me off. Didn't they say they were going to tone it down in this game?
Yeah the manual said theyre taking a subtle leap from normal TC by not being sci-fi. But I guess it still doesn't rule out all of the silliness.

JKTrix

Just poking into Naomi's cases now after getting everyone else to Chapter 7, and first blush impression is that I think her voice is too plain. Too bad they wasted Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in New Blood, I think she'd have been perfect as Naomi. This voice will likely grow on me anyway, I am literally just starting with her.

Yeah the Endoscopy motion control is annoying (though the Orthopedic Saw is worse), but I really think Endoscopy would be a million times better if they had the option to have the tool selection be a 'shift' system instead of a 'toggle' system. Like how you select items/weapons in Metal Gear, for a common example (though a number of other games do this), hold the button down to bring up the menu, pick the thing you want, let go of the 'menu' button and the thing you want is equipped. I find myself using the control like that, and it ends up with me using the wrong tool.

Even though most of my posts in this thread have been complaints, I really haven't been able to put this down. It's kind of a personal thing to balance my unabashed adoration of pretty much Everything Atlus Does.

Boss Doggie

EDarkness said:
I don't mind crazy characters. There are crazy people in the world. However, crazy viruses doing unrealistic things to the body isn't something I'm all that interested in. I'd much rather do brain surgery, fix broken bones, do open heart surgery, diagnose some illness, etc. These things are cool and why I watch medical shows on TV.

You're in a world where everything can be solved by antibiotic gel and with Healing Touch.

JKTrix

"I see corpses all day. One more won't bother me."

Ignore my earlier voice complaints, Naomi is perfect. It just started out a little flat.

Aeana

JKTrix said:
"I see corpses all day. One more won't bother me."

Ignore my earlier voice complaints, Naomi is perfect. It just started out a little flat.
Her very calm way of speaking is why I like her.

Wow. Couldn t love this game more. Bought every trauma center so far, loved the improvements each one has brought. It's really just a lot of fun. Couldnt have asked for more. here's hoping to a 4th one on the wii, if they keep churning these out I'm all in.

MechaX

Ookami-kun said:

While I haven't played New Blood, I personally think the alien viruses are not really a problem when put in moderation. For instance, in Under the Knife 2, you still had a plethora of realistic operations and GUILT/Neo-GUILT only consisted of about 1/4th of the game. Even then, they were usually spread apart or were varied where they felt pretty refreshing when they came up.

On the other hand, Under the Knife/Second Opinion goes buck-crazy with GUILT to the point where it starts to get really tiring and boring. I actually gave up on Under the Knife 1 on its last chapter because I saw absolutely no point in doing a Mega Man boss gauntlet of GUILT where I had to essentially do the exact same thing in the previous chapter. Hell, 2/3rds of GUILT in that game were an absolute pain to treat (Triti and the snake thing are my mortal enemies). In the second DS game, at least the returning GUILT had new spins on them, were not dreadfully annoying/frustrating to treat, and Neo-GUILT showed up sparingly.

With that said, I'm on the 6th surgery mission and I'm having a blast so far. It worries me that I'm getting all S ranks on the default difficulty, especially since I'm not that good at Trauma Center games to begin with. But fun stuff still. I'm starting to warm up to CR-S01 even despite that he's another victim of Nolan North-itis.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
Honestly, I found it quite a bit less crazy than the other games.

Top Bottom