• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Team |OT| Surgery Isn't the Only Game in This Town

Aeana

All done with the game. I would like to say to anybody who thinks the game is too easy, a new difficulty level is unlocked when you beat the game (among some other new stuff). That means that intern is probably intended to be easy, and resident should have been the default difficulty level. I never got a game over on intern, but I did find some parts somewhat challenging, even if it was probably an illusion.

I know I've already said it, but I have to say it again: this game is truly great. None of my feelings expressed in my original post have changed. I remained completely enthralled throughout the entire experience, and had a really difficult time putting it down whenever I needed to do something else. The amount of content and variety in this game is really astonishing. There was an interview that said the game probably has more voice than Persona 4 does, and now I would say that I would actually be surprised if it doesn't.

Though the game took me
hours to complete (note: some of this was accumulated by leaving the Wii running, but I would not be surprised if other people come in around
20-25
hours), at no moment did I ever feel it was getting dull or boring. Even during my least-favorite aspect of the game, endoscopy, I never really felt like I would rather be doing something else. At least the way I played, before there was an opportunity for something to get old, I was on to a new, completely different part. Because of this, I would strongly suggest people play it the way I did, which is left to right, row by row.

The story in the game is really quite interesting, and on a completely different level from the Trauma Center games. I believe it was said once upon a time that there were no alien viruses or anything in the game, and I can attest to that. Despite the silliness of the characters themselves, the story itself remains fairly grounded throughout, with (semi-spoilers, maybe)
a really interesting twist at the end that may be a little bit fantastical, is
nothing like what was in the TC games. The way the stories weave together as they progress is really, really cool. I want to say so much more here, but I will resist because people just need to experience it for themselves.

A really nice interface (apparently designed by Sachie Tousuji, of P4), fantastic music, very high quality voice acting, and really cool motion comic-style story scenes really help push the game over the top in terms of polish. I feel some of these things aren't necessarily paid enough attention to, but they can really make a good experience even better, and that's exactly what they did here.

Trauma Team is, without a doubt, the best game I've played this year, and might even be the most compelling game I've played all generation. That might sound like a gross exaggeration, and I know overpraise is a red flag for some people, but it is the honest truth. Rarely do I ever even think in terms of numeric scores, but I can't help but want to scream "10! 10! 10!" right now. Others might not enjoy the game quite as much as me, but it is absolutely, undoubtedly worth your time to find out, even if you aren't a fan of the Trauma Center games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
MechaX said:
While I haven't played New Blood, I personally think the alien viruses are not really a problem when put in moderation.

New Blood handled it quite well, having less Stigma missions but still challenging. Oh and UTK2 was based from NB.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What is the chronology of the franchise? Are they all connected? What is the order of the games? It's all somewhat confusing.

Aeana

Brandon F said:
What is the chronology of the franchise? Are they all connected? What is the order of the games? It's all somewhat confusing.
Trauma Team is after Second Opinion at the very least. It's mostly unrelated, except for Naomi, who was the extra character in Second Opinion, and you learn a little bit about her in that game, and that's referenced in Trauma Team. Otherwise, it's separate.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
Trauma Team is after Second Opinion at the very least. It's mostly unrelated, except for Naomi, who was the extra character in Second Opinion, and you learn a little bit about her in that game, and that's referenced in Trauma Team. Otherwise, it's separate.

Ahh >_< ?
I thought they looked the same but I never did get around to finishing second opinion. So Nozomi is Naomi.

So do we have an idea of who the dub cast is yet? CR is Nolan North it seems.

Brandon F

Aeana said:

Yea just wondering about the whole series. Second Opinion is more or less a remake/port of Under the Knife DS right? So where do Under the Knife 2 and New Blood fit into the timeline?

Boss Doggie

Second Opinion -> Trauma Team -> Under the Knife 2 -> New Blood

New Blood is waaaaay in the future.

Snowballo

Aeana said:
All done with the game. I would like to say to anybody who thinks the game is too easy, a new difficulty level is unlocked when you beat the game (among some other new stuff). That means that intern is probably intended to be easy, and resident should have been the default difficulty level. I never got a game over on intern, but I did find some parts somewhat challenging, even if it was probably an illusion.

I know I've already said it, but I have to say it again: this game is truly great. None of my feelings expressed in my original post have changed. I remained completely enthralled throughout the entire experience, and had a really difficult time putting it down whenever I needed to do something else. The amount of content and variety in this game is really astonishing. There was an interview that said the game probably has more voice than Persona 4 does, and now I would say that I would actually be surprised if it doesn't.

Though the game took me
hours to complete (note: some of this was accumulated by leaving the Wii running, but I would not be surprised if other people come in around
20-25
hours), at no moment did I ever feel it was getting dull or boring. Even during my least-favorite aspect of the game, endoscopy, I never really felt like I would rather be doing something else. At least the way I played, before there was an opportunity for something to get old, I was on to a new, completely different part. Because of this, I would strongly suggest people play it the way I did, which is left to right, row by row.

The story in the game is really quite interesting, and on a completely different level from the Trauma Center games. I believe it was said once upon a time that there were no alien viruses or anything in the game, and I can attest to that. Despite the silliness of the characters themselves, the story itself remains fairly grounded throughout, with (semi-spoilers, maybe)
a really interesting twist at the end that may be a little bit fantastical, is
nothing like what was in the TC games. The way the stories weave together as they progress is really, really cool. I want to say so much more here, but I will resist because people just need to experience it for themselves.

A really nice interface (apparently designed by Sachie Tousuji, of P4), fantastic music, very high quality voice acting, and really cool motion comic-style story scenes really help push the game over the top in terms of polish. I feel some of these things aren't necessarily paid enough attention to, but they can really make a good experience even better, and that's exactly what they did here.

Trauma Team is, without a doubt, the best game I've played this year, and might even be the most compelling game I've played all generation. That might sound like a gross exaggeration, and I know overpraise is a red flag for some people, but it is the honest truth. Rarely do I ever even think in terms of numeric scores, but I can't help but want to scream "10! 10! 10!" right now. Others might not enjoy the game quite as much as me, but it is absolutely, undoubtedly worth your time to find out, even if you aren't a fan of the Trauma Center games.

Thanks for your impression, very interesting.

Two question related to the game, one generic and one specific.

1) Could you be so nice to tell me, now that you have unlocked HARD mode, how hard it is? I mean... take one of the very first operation in Surgery, Endoscopy, whatever... and please tell me what are the result to obtain, I guess, an XS? For example in the first Endoscopy operation you have to "fix the stomach in less than 90 seconds". How does it change in Hard mode?

2) I'm stuck in the first forensic story, the one of the apartment with the guy. I did I guess 3/4 of the story. Now I have 3 solved cards with 1 big star on it. But I cannot proceed. Maybe I should check again the clothes of the guy (since it says that something could be on them) but I found nothing more than what I just found the first time. Any help?

Thanks

Boss Doggie

Whenever you leave or enter in an area in Forensics, Naomi will give you a clue on whether there's still stuff to do or not.

Snowballo

Ookami-kun said:
Whenever you leave or enter in an area in Forensics, Naomi will give you a clue on whether there's still stuff to do or not.

In my stucked situation when
I enter the area in which there is the corpse and the clothers she says that for sure there's something missing in the clothes. So this is the clue I though.

Sadly checking it for 5 minutes I wasn't able to see more than that blood spot and the buttons. :/

JKTrix

Did you look on the clothes where there *should* be a hole mark related to the bruise under the corpse's arm?

Boss Doggie

Yeah, kinda sad at the second forensics too =/

Snowballo said:
In my stucked situation when
I enter the area in which there is the corpse and the clothers she says that for sure there's something missing in the clothes. So this is the clue I though.

Sadly checking it for 5 minutes I wasn't able to see more than that blood spot and the buttons. :/

What made you go to the effects? Was it confirming about the screwdriver stab?

Snowballo

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah, kinda sad at the second forensics too =/

What made you go to the effects? Was it confirming about the screwdriver stab?

Ops I don't get it.
I tell you randomply what I've found out.

Talked to 4 people (old lady, friend, air condition man, girlfriend.
In his house I got the drugs in the hole, on the floor, the blood on the bed and near to the bad, the rope on the fan and the spots over there. I guess that's all.

The "hole/burst" the corpse has -> I've not found anything about it.
Let me thinks about all the rest.
And thanks.

JKTrix

I answered your question, I think. Ookami's question confirmed that you didn't know what he was talking about, which means you didn't know that what he said is 'what happened'. Check my answer. I probably should have quoted you to get your attention. To reiterate:

You know there's a 'hole/burst' bruise on the corpse. Maybe there's a hole in the shirt where that bruise happened? If it's not there... then that's what you're looking for. Just hit the spot with A, even though there's nothing there.

Brandon F

Ookami-kun said:
Second Opinion -> Trauma Team -> Under the Knife 2 -> New Blood

New Blood is waaaaay in the future.

Ah cool. I restarted Second Opinion and am already farther than I ever got back at the Wii launch(playing on Easy though). Really loving the experience and am glad to have finally joined the club.

Good to know that Trauma Team follows directly after as I look forward to playing that right after. If I'm not too burned out by then, I'll likely snag one or both of the other games as well.

Also, rankings don't really unlock anything do they? It's great when I get the occasional A or S on easy, but going back to maximize them all is more for personal pride than any real game bonus unlocks right?

I've noticed an alarming lack of boobies on this page. I'm hoping it can be rectified.

Just for a Trauma n00b, how do these Wii versions stack up against the DS versions? I played through the first Trauma Center on DS and got all the way up to *minor spoiler*
having to go back and play all the viruses and issues you already played through once
and I got so pissed off that I failed at least two missions because the goddamn "tape em up" final part of the surgery wouldn't properly recognize what I was doing that I gave up. Do the Wii versions have issues like that which would make me smash things?

Snowballo

JKTrix said:
I answered your question, I think. Ookami's question confirmed that you didn't know what he was talking about, which means you didn't know that what he said is 'what happened'. Check my answer. I probably should have quoted you to get your attention. To reiterate:

You know there's a 'hole/burst' bruise on the corpse. Maybe there's a hole in the shirt where that bruise happened? If it's not there... then that's what you're looking for. Just hit the spot with A, even though there's nothing there.

Thanks so much mate.
I swear I did it. I guess I was not precise.
Anwyay very clever.
Nice work!

Boss Doggie

Skiptastic said:
I've noticed an alarming lack of boobies on this page. I'm hoping it can be rectified.

Just for a Trauma n00b, how do these Wii versions stack up against the DS versions? I played through the first Trauma Center on DS and got all the way up to *minor spoiler*
having to go back and play all the viruses and issues you already played through once
and I got so pissed off that I failed at least two missions because the goddamn "tape em up" final part of the surgery wouldn't properly recognize what I was doing that I gave up. Do the Wii versions have issues like that which would make me smash things?

I think the Wii versions are superior due to the more precise controls and easier switching of tools.

RoboManus

Neo Member
Forensics is so good, they could make an entire spin off game of it and I'd buy it.

This game is one of my favorites so far this year, along with Strange Journey.

JKTrix

I'm not complaining, but I'm really curious as to why these games have been coming out in English first. In any case, totally Rock Solid.

Edit:
Skiptastic said:

Done!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alright, finally updated my Wii and started to play.

Doing the time line a la first available in the time-lines of all the characters. EG, first dot... first dot... first dot... dot... event/operation, event. I'll do the event first, then the operation and move on down the "time line" until I meet the next available point.

Did the first Diagnostic. Which isn't bad... just... ugh. I can't hear, so I can't hear the difference in the sounds. So I have to sit there and (sort-of blindly) guess at the "beats" of the sounds. :/

The exam stuff does my head in a little having to go back and forth between the normal and samples, which isn't bad... just... fries my brain.

Endoscopy's first operation is pretty cool. I dig using the remote to pull the wire in and out. But I don't like the new tool selection menu stuff (C, tool, C). I'm too used to having to fast switch in Trauma Center to where I have to have the tool NOW.

Other than that, the endoscopy is kinda awkward as you have to take it slow and aim/lock on to things to do what you want. But it's nice change of pace from the operations of previous outings.

Can't wait to do the surgeries and first response, meanwhile.

Also, rankings don't really unlock anything do they? It's great when I get the occasional A or S on easy, but going back to maximize them all is more for personal pride than any real game bonus unlocks right?

Yes, they don't unlock anything. Do them for your personal pride.
Just wait until you get up to the X-missions, oh boy I haven't beaten any of those!

Just for a Trauma n00b, how do these Wii versions stack up against the DS versions?

Apples and Oranges, I prefer the DS controls (with the exception of tool selections, which the Wii versions do better) over not touching exactly where I want to touch. But that's just me.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Almost finished the game here too (just a few of Naomi's episodes left) and I have to also chime in that this is an awesome game. It improves on the Trauma game formula in so many ways, and coupled with an awesome, stylish interface, from the selection screen, to the way the cutscenes are presented, (and I smiled at the card combining in Naomi's part, fusing Personas, anyone?) the game definitely does not fail to bring the entire package to the table and doesn't disappoint, provided the gamer has an interest in the type of game it's bringing in the first place.

The story was a bit silly and nonsensical in the beginning, (though that might have also been in part due to the fact that I played it linearly by character) but as you complete more and more scenarios, the gaps start to fill in, and a compelling story shines through. Nothing too crazy like in the other Trauma games, just straightforward medical drama, and perhaps because it was like that, that I was able to emphasize with it much more than with the other games.

And as for my general thoughts of each of the types of gameplay:
General Surgery: Your standard one. If you've played any of the previous Wii Trama games, you know what to expect here. Although this time around, it didn't feel as pressuring, probably due to the lack of a real time limit, and no real "you have to treat this thing fast otherwise it'll regenerate itself and you have to start all over again" type of obstacles.

EMT: In many ways, it feels like surgery-lite, but the concept of balancing between treating multiple patients did add a level of intensity that was different from the surgery missions.

Orthopedic Surgeon: I felt this was the most creative with its use of gameplay. Although the orthopedic saw was indeed a frustrating experience, especially because twisting the Wii Remote wasn't nearly sensitive enough at times to respond quickly to the twists in the path. But overall it was enjoyable to use a whole new set of tools than what I was familiar with.

Endoscopy: Another scenario with unique gameplay, although it seemed much more limited than the others. I applaud the designers for thinking of creative ways of presenting and utilizing the same 4 tools though, it keep the scenario alive. Pushing forward on the Wii Remote is kind of cumbersome at points as well, especially when you're trying to navigate tight spaces and want to avoid the walls so you don't fail the special objectives.

Diagnostician: By far, my favorite of all the scenarios. Seeing a patient come in and noticing the resting tremor on her hands throughout the entire examination simply impressed me as one of those subtleties that the designers didn't overlook, but had a huge impact on the experience. And then after taking the patient's history and examining them, to go look in the diagnostics and look for the values that I expect to be abnormal, and having them actually correlate to what I had suspected was really a point of joy for me. :D Examining the imaging data was pretty exciting as well, so was narrowing down the differential diagnoses and discovering the one that matched all of the symptoms the patient had. Playing this scenario really did the job in giving the gamer the sense of 'playing doctor.'

Medical Examiner: This one felt really like a cross between the investigation portions of Phoenix Wright and CSI. Even down to the point where one gets frustrated because they don't know what small point they missed that prevents them from moving on with the story. What I liked about Trauma Team's take is that Naomi gives commentary and cues to lead you to what you do next, and to make it clear when you've done all you need to at a certain point and need to move on to the next section.

There's so much that could be said about how awesome this game is, but the best thing is to just buy it right away and experience it for yourself.

Volcynika

TheSeks said:
Did the first Diagnostic. Which isn't bad... just... ugh. I can't hear, so I can't hear the difference in the sounds. So I have to sit there and (sort-of blindly) guess at the "beats" of the sounds. :/

Can't you just watch the rhythm of the sounds and compare that? That's what I did to begin with.

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished naomi's 5th scenario. I can't believe it....
that they killed off alyssa. I finished it right before I had to go to work. It was seriously a shocker. I actually wanted to play naomis next scenario due to such an ending. But i'l adhere to the left to right. My god. Poor innocent girl. :\ this is why atlus introduced her as such. Seriously so messed up. Though honestly all of naomis stuff have been huge eyeopeners. I love it. But man this recent twist had my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach.
that said. Trauma Team is absolutely outstanding and I find myself wanting to get more sessions in before super.

JKTrix

Too bad you stopped, if it makes your heart feel any better (minor minor minor spoiler)
the very next Surgeon case after that--if you've unlocked it--gives some hope.

I'm on the (first?) Diagnostics mission on the final/locked path, and I just figured out that I can read what all of those things mean on the Diagnostic Result chart. I knew i could look at what all the symptoms meant, but I never even moved my pointer to the left side of the Diagnostic chart until a few minutes ago when I did it by accident. Now things are even more interesting, for an info hog like me.

Edit: On that note, Gabe's reactions seem a little inconsistent. You get some numbers that are one or two points higher than the normal level, and he's like 'That's way over the normal level!!'

This dude is THIRTEEN HUNDRED POINTS over the normal level and he's like 'Hmm, that's abnormally high.'

This is an extreme case, but there have been some high numbers in the past that he had less of a reaction to with much smaller gaps.

I pick this up on a whim, mainly to not think about that game about space plumbers and because my friend went to buy Read Dead Redemption, so I was like might as well buy something to make this weekend suck less. I played like a minute of one of these games on the wii but still didn't know what I was getting myself into but Atlus hasn't failed me that badly and well

Atlus still is awesome in my book. I've done all of the types expect Naomi ( I started but got tired...been playing for like 2 hours...) and outside of Tomoe's first surgery they all were pretty damn awesome. It's funny that I;ve had a wii since launch and yet this is like one of the 3 games that really use the wii's capabilities. The damn speaker thing actually made me go whoa...then I felt bad since I should have expected that.

For $40 bucks this is a great pick up...

Just finished all of CR-S01's story that's available to play. I moved onto Gabriel Cunningham and ended up feeling like a pedo examining the first girl. :lol I actually found his stuff to be kind of boring to be honest...but maybe it gets better?

Definitely loving this, would say it's the best game in the Trauma Center series! :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm basically going through the game chronologically, and I'm sort of wondering. Do you spend way more time in Diagnostics or Forensics compared to the rest of the game? These missions are much longer compared to the other stuff I've done, and I'm kind of hoping there's fewer of these missions to balance that out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ookami-kun said:
They're longer because they're more puzzle/logic oriented

Yeah, I understand that they're longer and I don't think they should be shorter.. But are there just as many of those missions as any other? IE, will I be doing 4 hours of Forensics compared to an hour and a half of Endoscopy?

JKTrix

Yup, all have the same amount of episodes.

You also don't get graded on Diagnostics and Forensics, so don't be too uptight about making mistakes.

Boss Doggie

Although the doctor medals are tricky. In Forensics you're treated with a quiz bee. In Diagnostics, you need to find some "quirks" during each mission (e.g. spotting a "broken" line in the EKG).

MechaX

Hm... So far, I think Endoscopy is definitely the low point of the game. Tomoe seems pretty boring in comparison to the other three characters so far who were extremely interesting (even if Freebird was exceptionally cheesy at some points) and had very interesting gameplay mechanics. I'm on the second or third Endoscopy mission and it plays like a wiimote version of Descent (Only given the distance you have to travel in these levels, pushing/pulling the wiimote actually does get physically tiring after awhile).

But I'll probably just try to blitz through this section, as I'm really looking forward to Gabe and Naomi's sections.

Also, how far along am I anyway? I only have 7 or so hours on the clock and it really comes down to how long the final sets of chapters are. Although, I'm hoping that Gabe and Naomi's missions are pretty lengthy.

Aeana

MechaX said:
Hm... So far, I think Endoscopy is definitely the low point of the game. Tomoe seems pretty boring in comparison to the other three characters so far who were extremely interesting (even if Freebird was exceptionally cheesy at some points) and had very interesting gameplay mechanics. I'm on the second or third Endoscopy mission and it plays like a wiimote version of Descent (Only given the distance you have to travel in these levels, pushing/pulling the wiimote actually does get physically tiring after awhile).

But I'll probably just try to blitz through this section, as I'm really looking forward to Gabe and Naomi's sections.

Also, how far along am I anyway? I only have 7 or so hours on the clock and it really comes down to how long the final sets of chapters are. Although, I'm hoping that Gabe and Naomi's missions are pretty lengthy.
You can lessen the amount of pushing/pulling by setting the camera sensitivity by pressing 1 on the Wii remote during endoscopy.

JKTrix

Endoscopy missions in the lungs are annoying as hell.

Edit: Aaaand done. I like their little 'thanks for playing' message. I thought the title of that event was referencing something else. I did a little fistpump during Gabe's last phone call.

I still find diagnosis pretty boring even though some of the dialog is funny. At one point Gabriel even sings a few of the words in a sarcastic tone. :D

JKTrix

I had 27 hours on my game save, and 17 medals when I finished.

And this is actually the first 'Trauma' game I've seen the credits of. The song was kind of nice. Wonder why they don't credit the voice cast, though.

Aeana

JKTrix said:
I had 27 hours on my game save, and 17 medals when I finished.

And this is actually the first 'Trauma' game I've seen the credits of. The song was kind of nice. Wonder why they don't credit the voice cast, though.
It's really common in games where non-union actors were used for them to not be credited at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes. Balls hard difficulty.

Go play Trauma Center: Under the Knife/2/New Blood. No reason not to if you enjoy this and it's too easy for you.

Aeana

I like the Wii controls if only because you can switch tools quickly, without moving your hand/cursor away from your focus. It's a small thing, but nice. I haven't played the second DS game yet, though, only the first.

Having played all of the Trauma Center games, I have to give the nod to the Wii versions as long as you can maintain a steady hand. The rapid tool-switching is incredibly useful, and since you'r movement isn't 1:1, you can technically move faster than in the DS counterparts. The only game you can't play on the Wii is Under the Knife 2, but I thought that was by far the weakest entry in the series anyways, so...whatever.

Top Bottom