• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tried my first Scotch Single Malt. I think I'm in love.

Drake

So I'm not a big drinker, but I have been known to partake in a drink every now and then. I do enjoy Bourbon, but I've been wanting to try a Scotch single malt whisky for as long as I can remember. I REALLY wanted to try the Laphroaig 10 year old. I was curious to see what a very Smokey/Peaty whisky tasted like. I guess in Europe it costs around 35 Euros, but here in NY it's almost $60. I didn't want to spend that much on something I might hate. Instead I went for one of the most suggested beginner Scotch's, The Glenmorangie 10 year old and it was only $35. HOLY FUCKING SHIT this stuff is amazing. There is literally no burning like you get with a lot of Bourbon's. It's almost smells like a white wine and goes down super smooth. I have no issue drinking this whisky neat. I think I may have open Pandora's box because I now I want to try them all.

Scotch Whiskey is cheap in the UK as it is local produce.

Usually between £20/35 with only the premium 30 year old stuff being in the £40s range.

I own some Japanese whiskies that I got cheap going on Holiday (to Europe)

I prefer my Jamesons though.

V4skunk

Banned
So I'm not a big drinker, but I have been known to partake in a drink every now and then. I do enjoy Bourbon, but I've been wanting to try a Scotch single malt whisky for as long as I can remember. I REALLY wanted to try the Laphroaig 10 year old. I was curious to see what a very Smokey/Peaty whisky tasted like. I guess in Europe it costs around 35 Euros, but here in NY it's almost $60. I didn't want to spend that much on something I might hate. Instead I went for one of the most suggested beginner Scotch's, The Glenmorangie 10 year old and it was only $35. HOLY FUCKING SHIT this stuff is amazing. There is literally no burning like you get with a lot of Bourbon's. It's almost smells like a white wine and goes down super smooth. I have no issue drinking this whisky neat. I think I may have open Pandora's box because I now I want to try them all.
Aged single malt whisky is very easy to drink! Like drinking juice / pop. I recommend Glen Fiddich 12 years. Nice and sweet, no burning on your tongue and throat. No hang over as well.

Last edited:

desertdroog

My go to is Highland Park 12 year, Orkney. When I feel like punishing my palate and need to be reminded I am only a neophyte in Single Malts, I sip on some Caol Ila 12 year from Islay. That stuff is peat smoked iodine, but very nice around a campfire or on a cold/rainy evening. I have a bottle of 18 year Shieldaig from Speyside that sips like water. I was given a bottle of Speyside's Balvenie Double Wood 12 year for Christmas last year. I haven't tried it yet, but luckily I have a good group of friends who all agree to give each other a new bottle of scotch every year for the holidays. So there are a number of bottles that I get a chance to sip on. It's a cheaper investment than buying all the bottles at once for yourself. Plus, my liver would never survive.

Nymphae

Banned
I bought a fairly expensive bottle of Lagavulin after watching Parks & Rec. I also have some Glenlivet. I thought I could get into some occasional scotch, but I really just can't stand drinking. Though, I did enjoy the incredibly smoky taste of the Lagavulin. But yeah it just sits there for guests now.

lil puff

I am in NY too and I when thru a phase where I would go all out on experiencing top shelves. Clean is the best way to describe it. Or easy down.

It's nice, but it was definitely just a phase.

I am older and now back to Bud 16 oz.

That good stuff taste so good, it is dangerous.

You’re a real boy now, Pinocchio

giphy.gif

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I like the idea of scotch. Stuff honestly tastes god awful to me. I find when I meet a scotch enthusiast, my brother in law comes to mind, they are either very straight in terms of their substance use, which is naturally a complete bore so they are searching for something within the socially acceptable umbrella of alcohol to provide them some genuine enjoyment. Or they are just drunks trying to seem like refined drunks.

Being based in central Scotland I get a fairly decent pick of the smoky/Peaty island drinks and the more lighter & fruity southern and northern brands.

however I would recommend Tamnavulin, as a good starting point and is less hardcore than some fire waters👍😁

as an added bonus, it’s easy to find for around £20 or so.

ps. more of a flavoured gin drinker these days, but as a bottle is an easy present to give, it’s worth a little reading up on what is best suited to someone’s tastes. Rather than just going with a ‘known brand’

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not a big drinker at all, but I do like Johnnie Walker Black. Scotch is the only thing I can drink now and it's still like a once per year thing.

Winter John

Gold Member
I had myself a case of Stella and a bottle of Glenfiddich just the other night. By the end of it I was wailing along to Joy Division. I was so shit faced I burst into tears during Isolation because it was so beautiful. Then I had some cheese sandwiches and passed out on the dog.

Last edited:

Pejo

Single Malt Scotch has been my home base for the last 5 or so years, but I still treat myself to Hibiki for a truly amazing whiskey now and then. Got a bottle of the 17yr once and it blew my fragile mind.

Drake

Went out to dinner with the GF tonight. Decided to treat myself to a glass of the Glenfiddich 12 year old. Holy fuck it's even better than the Glenmoragnie. Not that I drink a whole lot, but I think I'm gonna follow this rule from now on: Scotch's for sippin' Bourbons for mixin'

Tesseract

Banned
just glenlivet tonight, only the good stuff

once or twice a year is all i'm allotted, i'm really enjoying myself

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Not a big drinker but I smoke a lot of meat and fry a lot of chicken so I figured it's time to give whiskey a go. I like the idea of starting a collection, almost like Pokemon cards for grown ups with money. I have a mate who's pretty keen on it and he gave me a few recs so this is the start of my collection:

Monkey Shoulder Batch 27 (Scotch triple malt blend):

375519-1.png

Highland Park Valkyrie (Scotch single malt, scored 99/100 at the Ultimate Spirits Challenge):

ci-highland-park-valkyrie-a67ce97baea0a1e6.png

Suntory Kakubin White Label (Japanese blend):

japan_sun18.jpg

I'll post my thoughts later as I get stuck in and experience it a bit more.

Drake

My girlfriend is asking for Christmas present ideas. I'm thinking of telling her to get me a half way decent bottle of Scotch. Maybe something in the 15 to 18 year old range. Any suggestions?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to develop a taste for scotch on the rocks by ordering it all the time one summer.
Didn't happen.
I'll stick to Crown and coke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I bought a fairly expensive bottle of Lagavulin after watching Parks & Rec. I also have some Glenlivet. I thought I could get into some occasional scotch, but I really just can't stand drinking. Though, I did enjoy the incredibly smoky taste of the Lagavulin. But yeah it just sits there for guests now.

You know this came out a few weeks ago, by the way. It is pretty good too.

Nick-Offerman-Lagavulin-2.jpg

My girlfriend is asking for Christmas present ideas. I'm thinking of telling her to get me a half way decent bottle of Scotch. Maybe something in the 15 to 18 year old range. Any suggestions?

I'm biased because it's my favourite but I'll recommend it anyway. Bladnoch Adela 15 Yr. You're looking at about £90 or thereabouts.

Catphish

I recently picked up a bottle of 12 year Glenlivet and I swear that shit gives me the nicest alcohol buzz I've ever had.

Glenmorangie 10 is a really good. I generally enjoy Highland and Speyside single malt whisky. Glenmorangie is a highland whisky. I would recommend you some Glen Grant 10 it's a Speyside whisky which I enjoyed very much. there's also Loch Lomond Original whisky (I think it's ten years old) it's cheap and nice. As for blended whisky I really enjoyed Monkey Shoulder and Japanese whisky Nikka Blended and Nikka from The Barrell - Nikka is really good! Doesn't loose to single malts. From the barrel was an awesome whisky, but it has 51,4% alcohol so you should drink it on ice if you're a beginner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom