• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trigger Happy Havoc Dangan Ronpa: Early 2014 for US and Europe

GamerJM

Banned
You mean more games people want instead of indie crap? ;p

I still don't see how those Indie games are system sellers anyways. Sorry, but I have very little belief that a significant amount of people want to plop down 250$ plus an overpriced memory card for portable version of games like Spelunky and Terraria that are already available on six million other platforms.

I wonder if the fan translation for the second PSP game will halt since this means it will quite possibly have an official release if this does well.

DR is great. Sadly I just read the SA Let's Play of it, but I'm sure I'll pick this up as I'd like to see DR2 localized as well as hopefully more DRs in the future. It's an awesome game.

Is the end of the first game a cliffhanger at all or will this single release be satisfying from a story perspective? No spoilers needed, just curious since I've been avoiding a lot about this series as I figured I'd either play the fan translation or watch the anime.

I wonder if the fan translation for the second PSP game will halt since this means it will quite possibly have an official release if this does well.

From a brief Twitterchat with (edit: one of the editors) on the fan-trans team, it seems this will be the case. They wanted to get the games published to start with, so it sounds like they don't want to get in the way of official releases.

Is the end of the first game a cliffhanger at all or will this single release be satisfying from a story perspective? No spoilers needed, just curious since I've been avoiding a lot about this series as I figured I'd either play the fan translation or watch the anime.

DR1 is 100% self-contained and satisfying. They made it without any expectation that there might be a second game.

GSR

Shame that SDR2's not included, but still awesome to see the series getting an official translation.

ReaperXL7

You mean more games people want instead of indie crap? ;p

Stop, allot of people would also consider these games crap aswell, no reason to bring this nonsense into every thread. People whi want indies are getting them, people who want niche japanese games are getting what they want, everyone should be happy. Except people who want stuff like battlefield, or Skyrim on a handheld.

Ridley327

So only one game..., wouldn't that mean the game will only available in digital format?

I think that only applies to PS2 games, and I'm not even sure that's strictly true, with FFX and FFX-2 being sold separately on the Vita.

redhood56

Banned
I've heard amazing things about this game! I decided not to pay attention to anything(I don't even know the basic plot) so this will be awesome! I am kind of surprised though, Aksys would have seemed more likely to get this one, but I am still super hyped!

gngf123

Damn, and I was about to import the PSP game.

Which i'm still thinking of doing because I can't justify spending the extra money on a Vita just yet. This is still fantastic news though.

vireland

The translation is going to be different from the fan translation, so I would continue. It's a great fan translation either way, on par with Mother 3's.

That's the problem, I think. The fan translation patch just released is so close to a fully produced professional job that it can't help but ding sales of the cut-in-half Vita version. I can't understand why they didn't just buy the fan translation of 1, translate the small amount of missing extras, complete part 2 and release Reloaded as it was released in Japan.

Still, it's their risk, not mine. Good that a bunch of English most-wanteds happened almost at once.

LMN

Don't try to break my heart during a time of celebration.

I think that only applies to PS2 games, and I'm not even sure that's strictly true, with FFX and FFX-2 being sold separately on the Vita.

Sorry about that =P, I really hope it get a retail release, just like you, I'm one of the people who always prefer physical format, though if there are no other choice, guess I have to give in. Having a lot of retail game for Vita is good IMO, it's one of the best way to show ppl that Vita have games, lots of games, even if some are niche titles.

kewlmyc

That's the problem, I think. The fan translation patch just released is so close to a fully produced professional job that it can't help but ding sales of the cut-in-half Vita version. I can't understand why they didn't just buy the fan translation of 1, translate the small amount of missing extras, complete part 2 and release Reloaded as it was released in Japan.

Still, it's their risk, not mine. Good that a bunch of English most-wanteds happened almost at once.

But then they couldn't hold Super Dangan Ronpa 2 hostage for more sales.

I remember someone saying that companies don't buy fan translations because of legal issues or something. Do you have any insight into that?

GamerJM

Banned
I remember someone saying that companies don't buy fan translations because of legal issues or something. Do you have any insight into that?

Eh, it's happened before, and with smaller Japanese releases like this it's possible. It's what they did for the US release of Ys: Oath in Felghana.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Haha, just as I imported the first PSP game (and it didn't even arrive yet). Oh well, it's not like I didn't know about rumors.
Glad, it's coming, will buy for sure. And by next year, I will have finished the PSP game anyways.
Surprised this is a NISA game, thought for sure this would be the Aksys game.

Aeana

Well, it's certainly happened. Most of the Ys releases from XSEED have been licensed fan translations.

wrowa

The fan translation got released about... two weeks ago? I think the production of the official translation might very well be too advanced already as that licensing the fan translation makes a lot of sense right now. NIS has likely already put considerable effort and money into the translation of the first game, so that they can't just move on to the second one now. It boils down to bad timing, I think.

Definitely unfortunate in any case. The way things have turned out right now is pretty bad for both NISA and the fan translation group.

OnFire331

Great news! A bit bummed that NISA isn't using Project Zetsubou's translation, I thought it was an effort on par or better than official localizations (barring Alexander O. Smith's works).

This would have been the most logical choice, focusing their efforts on translating SDR2 would have been ideal and it's not like the fan-translation hasn't been announced for a while so that they couldn't possibly not know of its existence. I cannot see how NISA can top PZ's translation anyway.

kuroshiki

It is not unfortunate at all.

A user have a choice. Either

1) Buy official translation version later.

2) buy PSP JP and get the translation.

3) hell, do both. (which is unlikely, no matter what people proclaim 'I will do it!' here. let's be honest for once folks.)

4) pirate. free. (oh. this will be the most popular option, trust me.)

I will choose 1. and hope for the DR 2nd one coming here as well.

XSEED was able to do it with two of the three Ys games they published for the PSP, why is this one so different?

It's not impossible (notice that JAST is doing it for Stein's as well), but there are a lot of variables that can make it tricky. If the team includes members outside of the U.S., for example, that can make U.S. publication a little more complicated. And oftentimes, because a fan translation is a hack, a lot of their work has to be converted to a format that more easily integrates with an actual ROM, as opposed to a messy, reverse-engineered hack that might not pass cert if it's a console release (and even on the PC, "proper" code manipulation is always preferable to a hack).

Using a fan-trans isn't a be-all solution in every case. There are places where it totally works, but it doesn't always fly.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It is not unfortunate at all.

A user have a choice. Either

1) Buy official translation version later.

2) buy PSP JP and get the translation.

3) hell, do both. (which is unlikely, no matter what people proclaim 'I will do it!' here. let's be honest for once folks.)

4) pirate. free. (oh. this will be the most popular option, trust me.)

I will choose 1. and hope for the DR 2nd one coming here as well.
I wonder how much option 2 and 4 hurts the translation of super dangan ronpa 2 on both fronts.

If the fan translation didn't exist, the official vita translation would be the only way to play the game, bolstering sales for an official sdr2 localization. But since it does exist, many people who were interested most likely bought or pirated the psp version recently and have less incentive to rebuy on vita, especially if they don't own one.

Furthermore, now that the chance of a sdr2 localization is possible, fan translations efforts have probably stopped or been suspended (possibly for years until they're sure sdr2 vita won't be happening).

It's pretty ironic overall

Clov

If Time&Eternity bombs too much, that could kill NISA. ~_~

Surely they didn't spend THAT much on it, did they? Besides, they have a new Disgaea game on the way this year; I'm sure that'll help them recoup any money lost on that, assuming it flops.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If Time&Eternity bombs too much, that could kill NISA. ~_~

I wonder whether their president will come out to apologise again like they did for Last Rebellion lol
Does it seem like they minimalise marketing on this title like they did for Last Rebellion?

So they are going to translate the game that everyone who cares about the series has either already played via fan translation, has read the Let's Play, or has watched the anime. And not only that, but they're holding the translation to the second game hostage in order to try and sell copies to a game they and everyone else knows will flop otherwise. Its not like this is a game that hinges on its gameplay; it a purely a story driven affair. So when the sales to the first game flop as expected because everyone who would have bought the game already experienced it, what do you all think will happen to the translation to the second game; the one people actually want? God damn you NISA, it would have been better if you hadn't done anything.

NotLiquid

I'm... kind of shocked that it's being brought over. I never thought it possible considering all the localization work that would have to go down in it compared to most other games of it's ilk.

But holy fuck am I ever so happy. Dangan Ronpa is one of my favorite new series, like a fresh take on Ace Attorney with Battle Royale mixed into it.

Top Bottom