• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trouble Witches NEO! (Cute 'em Up? | SNKP | XBLA | 800 MSP | This Winter)

tiff

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
I have only played through once with Sakurako, some of the dialogue is super cheesy and the voice actor for Sakurako is clearly non-fluent English speaker so give them a break for trying hard to speak in English :p I did have fun, it's not really hard in Story Mode...there are only 2 people on my leaderboards even though I have a bunch of shmup fans on my friends list...like someone said, shmup fans being so picky about games is probably the #1 problem with that genre right now.
How much exposure is this game getting? I'm by no means a good example of a shmup fan, but I would never have heard of this game had I not stumbled across this thread.

Gaspode_T

Unfortunately from what I can tell most companies' idea of advertising for downloadable games these days is "pay for a little slot on Spotlight for 1 week", so other than people stumbling across it while browsing the dash I'm not surprised that people don't know about it.

If the idea of cute HD anime graphics and dodging gazillions of bullets sounds fun, this game is up your alley. The story is seriously campy and voice acting is Japan-English. I'm no danmaku/shmup expert by any means so it's a little bit easier for me to have fun with this game than with one of the more hardcore games...it's more akin to a hyper version of Parodius/Twinbee in that way. I think a novice player would be able to get about half of the achievements, some of them seem unlockable even with continues which is kind of rare for these shmups.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNKP has tried advertising THIS particular game by releasing a bunch of Downloadable premium themes, Gamerpics, and now, the Luca DLC!

Luca cost 160 points (2 dollars), and is a 108kb DL :( Still pretty worth it, as TWN still feels like a disk release, more than a downloadable XD.

Added!: Here's Video of Luca Gameplay, straight from the devs, Boken: Link

Edit: Well, I purchased Luca. A devilgirl in love?! Isn't that... impossible? XD Anywho, Yup, has a full voices storymode, with unique beginning and ending art and all. Her shot pattern is very strong, but her and her familiar seem to move a bit slow. This is ok, she has 100% more magic meter than the default (making her have 200).

Her story was fun. Got to make fun of alot of anime tropes, indulge in a few, and overall, feel kinda like something that'd happen in a Disgaea game. She's like Nega-Flonne or something, lol.

Oddly, I think she might have some of the best VA work on the English side... her VA work kinda reminds me a bit of Melissa Fahn...

Luca DLC on Xbox.com: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...892b7ab-66dc-46b5-a291-a92fc94bfae9?cid=SLink

2 new gamerpic packs released today, pack 5 and 6.

Update!: Also, new premium theme "Type: Luca": Preview from TeamXbox
Direct Link

The art is rather nice (some spoilers for her ending there, though!), but the friend background being a repeat of the same image over-and-over is a bit disappointing.

SNKPlaymore on Facebook Info on Luca DLC:

227767_174098465976606_115381791848274_380386_7634851_n.jpg

Luca joins the magical cast of "TROUBLE WITCHES☆NEO!"!
This new witch is now available to download on Xbox LIVE Arcade for the small price of 160 Microsoft Points!
With her overwhelming firepower, Luca should make all gamers happy, whether they are beginners or advanced players!

Hey, also, a review from Gamepro.com: http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/219166/review-trouble-witches-neo-xbla/

Is it worth the price of admission?: Trouble Witches Neo is a fantastic value for its price: It's easily one of the best shooters on XBLA, and offers a depth of play and wealth of content that will keep you coming back for more. While it's still a bit rough around the edges, the core game is so solid that you can't help but be charmed.

sfried

Why do people bring up Cotton and not THIS game?:
MagicalChaseBack.png

This was what this thing reminded me the first time I played it on PC, right down to the mid-level store. I'm surprised it actually got seriously localized by SNK (as opposed to "Tomboyish Witches"). Nice to see this game get some attention.

Edit: Out of curiosity just wanted to know who's VAing the English version?

Gaspode_T

So I've loved shmups since 8-bit and 16-bit days (or earlier if you count 2600 games as shmups) but I've never been an expert in them - I don't remember clearing many of the SNES shmups because at the time I was mostly renting them and having fun for a week.

I really like this game, it's kind of a perfect balance of being difficult and accessible, besides the voice overs (I'm almost playing the game on mute anyway). I have one more character to play through to get the "play through with every character achievement" - it's pretty easy to get about 70% of the achievements for those who care.

To explain how to play to someone who might be wandering in and interested in checking this game out, it's a trick that's in some of the other bullet hell shooters but you basically want to use your magic field to stop bullets, then kill the thing the shot those bullets, then those bullets will convert into gold when you remove the magic shield. It's hard to explain but it feels really fun when you do it successfully and get tons of $$, then you buy powerups and extra lives with that money. There is another trick which is mostly for getting high scores, which is to use your magic cards and get star coins, which decrease by a huge % every time you die so basically it's a way that rewards perfect play and also play that uses a lot of cards (instead of just on the bosses).

I went ahead and picked up Luca too, will play through her after I play through the last character I have to do.

I got this and Deathsmiles 2X at around the same time and for some reason I keep coming back to this game instead, the graphics are clean and it's a bit more stress free to play. For people who are on the more casual/curious side of shooting games, and you like anime, I definitely recommend checking this game.

Daigoro

the voice acting in this game is so so so so so so so sooooooo bad. its really laughable.

the game is cute and fun though. i quite like the graphics, epsecially the backrounds. i dropped it like a hot rock for Deathsmile 2 though.

im sure ill get back to it at some point. its a good little game.

I really like this game, but when it comes to shmups my quality radar stops working.

This is a really fun game though, its challenging enough to be a nice accomplishment with a 1cc, but not too challenging where its impossible to beat.

Gaspode_T

By the way I read some of the text in screenshots of the Japanese version and it's much, much less cheesy sounding and normal anime/manga fare (if still a little over the top). I still think this game has a little bit of Japanglish charm about it that wouldn't be there if they had done a top quality translation :p All your base are belong to us

Dambrosi

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
By the way I read some of the text in screenshots of the Japanese version and it's much, much less cheesy sounding and normal anime/manga fare (if still a little over the top). I still think this game has a little bit of Japanglish charm about it that wouldn't be there if they had done a top quality translation :p All your base are belong to us
What do you expect? It's SNK!

ss2.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I honestly hope that never changes about them. And if for some reason they DO have to change it, I'd hope they'd keep a "traditional SNK style" translation as a bonus feature.

In a way, it made the game feel like a more legit arcade / Japanese experience to me. Sure, I would have liked more even-quality voice acting, but the actual translations were fairly fun, and it was nice they tried to give the girls resonably unique personalities between each other.

dock

Just heard the gushing on "Warning a Huge Podcast" - damn, I might have to get my 360 back. I leant it to a friend for a few months.

Fantastic that this has a western release.

Tried this out yesterday, since I'm getting back into 2D shooters after recently picking up Jamestown (Steam) and Deathsmiles (iPod). I once played nothing BUT shooters, including dedicated Saturn/stick/flipped TV, but over the past several years an increasingly varied gaming diet hasn't left much time for more than some Raiden IV/Fighters and Gradius V when I have the PS2 hooked up.

If history repeats though I'll soon be setting up the good ol' Dreamcast for some GigaWing, Gunbird 2, Border Down, etc...

But after perhaps playing some of this maybe even starting tonight. I enjoyed the demo and the interesting bullet absorption mechanic. It was good to see it was in the recent XBLA demo offerings, might have missed it otherwise.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Sorry XBL, there goes your killer app.

PS3 version go!

Yay!

Wait a sec, is this a different game?

Well shoot. Never mind. :(
One could not have been more obvious in their display of blind favoritism for their console. Including the part where such plain lack of sight has reasulted in one getting the game completely wrong as well.

Congratulations.

This game is great. I bought it the day it came out with no knowledge of it's existence prior. I still play it all the time.

The only thing is that I really want to beat whoever it is that comes up with uneven Achievement points. Wolf on the Battlefield, TMNT and now this all do it. Devs stop doing this.

Top Bottom