• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trouble Witches NEO! (Cute 'em Up? | SNKP | XBLA | 800 MSP | This Winter)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
12 hours since the game was released for Download, and it's still unbuyable.

My goodness, 2002 UM came out on a friday and had purchase errors. Samsho2 was reported to have a lower price until hours before it released. And now this. What kinda communication does MS JP have with SNKP?!?

Such a sad thing to occur on a day with 2 other very fun games released at the same time. It'd stand to reason it'd make the company lose some potential sales when there's no other competition that same week, but on a rare 3 game Wed, were ALL three are actuall good, action-filled games? Oy.

Daigoro

i got points, but i got no game!

the graphics are great. the einglish voices are... odd. its funny andd cute. controls well.

i had some problems seeing some of the bullets, but i might have been sitting way to close to a large tv.

game seems like fun though. pretty sure im going to buy it when its available.

Just bought it as well.
I dunno what my schedule is like but if anyone wants to give coop a shot you can shoot me over at GT: PepsimanVsJoe

I like the game, it's fun. Scoring system and all that is kind of whatever at this point as I'm just flying around, absorbing everything, and trying to score some points. I'm sure I'll go through multiple times to check out all the modes, difficulties, and stories for every character. First character I chose teased a nude-scene in the ending...I'm just going to pretend everyone is over 18.

The voice-acting is amazing, this is totally Castle of Shikigami 2 level.

aku:jiki

Loving this game! Not much else to say after only one session, but I got a Touhou-reference achievement already so that's awesome.

I was about to rage at two things, but they resolved themselves quickly. The default button mapping is a bit stupid for high-level play (you can't keep dropping the shooting button to activate the magic circle like ALL THE TIME), but you can re-map. Also, that fish boss is a motherfucker...but you can almost take him out completely with a single "F.Bomb" magic card, even on hard. Phew! That guy had me worried there.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The voice-acting is amazing, this is totally Castle of Shikigami 2 level.
Yes! I unlocked a girl called Conan and she shouted "LET US SING HYMNS TOGETHER!" at me when I did, and it was awesome.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, finally able to buy the full game, I can note a few random things I really appreciate!

One, You get the full remixed game (new character art, title selection and title screens, and all), as well as the "Original", which seems to be the arcade version, with very different dressing, and runs at a lower resolution, and in 4:3, with an option for different wallpapers. I really wish EVERY HD collection did this. It's almost like getting 2 games in one, or almost 3, since you have Old Arcade, New Arcade, and Story mode, which really changes the pacing and feel of things, with all the additional character convos and artwork.

I haven't tried the boss rush, but I enjoy the 3 min challenge mode. It's nice to have something that's pick-up-and-play in a game like this. Sometimes it's nice to have some shooting action, without having to commit to 6 stages of advancement.

The game also runs great, too, (though I experiences some small jitters in score attack after getting 5000 metals, and earning the HUGE coins) and I have to say I rather like the stage design. They have fun little details (The flying whales in the snow zone are O.O), and work well enough for what they are. The music is rather hummable at times, as well. Kinda reminds me of old Taito arcade games in some places, mixed with a bit of Disgaea-like "naughtiness".

5 initial arcade characters, 2 hidden characters for clearing the game (thanks fun unlocks, I miss them in the modern gaming landscape, haha), and 1 new character exclusive to consoles. Feels more like a retail release than an XBLA game. And a DLC character coming May 11th.., will be interesting to see how much they charge for it.

Oh, and I played 2 player Offline Co-Op. It was pretty fun trying to coordinate magic barrier use with 2 people. And made it easier to see some of the differences in abilities between the girls + familiars.

Oh, and lastly, great how like... everything in the game has leaderboards. Per difficulty, per character, per original or arranged... only thing it doesn't seem to have is so-op leaderboards, which is a bit annoying, but a commom faux pas for modern games...

Wow, this is fantastic! Arcade mode on normal difficulty is rock hard, but it's nice to have some easier options in Story Mode, which is also enjoyable. So many options! I would definitely have been happy had I bought this as a full price retail release. 800 MS Points is a steal!

TxdoHawk

Good to hear the positive impressions on this one...seems like a great week for XBLA. Now, if I could just get the issues with my Gamertag resolved so I can actually go and buy these...

I'm enjoyig the demo quite a bit. Had an urge to keep going back to it after I tried the other two games that also came out yesterday. Definitley buying today. $10 is a steal. I can realistically see it going for $40 or more, retail.

Would it sell or not, I don't know, but I feel that it's worth at least that much.

Lesiroth

I generally avoid threads for games of this sort like the plague, but the "Cut 'em Up?" made me laugh too much not to enter.

It looks.. interesting, too bad I don't have an Xbox.

Lesiroth said:
I generally avoid threads for games of this sort like the plague, but the "Cut 'em Up?" made me laugh too much not to enter.

It looks.. interesting, too bad I don't have an Xbox.

you never heard of "cute 'em ups"? I'm not surprised as it's a very niche genre

this game is moe to the max though

How do I unlock the Mindblowing Mode? I've seen the option for the online mode but not for Single Play or Story Mode like the achievement suggests.

Galdelico

Nekobo said:
Waiting for my points card to arrive so I can buy this.

Is Nin2 Jump any good? I'm digging the art style.
At first it can be a bit wtf, but if the survival-platforming core clicks for you, it's great fun (especially Score Attack).

Trouble Witches looks gorgeous and I really like to play it, but imo the bullet hell here is not even remotely as neat as it is in Deathsmiles... I dunno, here and there seems to me a bit random and not perfectly synced with the shooting & barrier mechanics, to the point that sometimes I find myself clueless and with no way out of enemy fire.

Galdelico said:
Trouble Witches looks gorgeous and I really like to play it, but imo the bullet hell here is not even remotely as neat as it is in Deathsmiles... I dunno, here and there seems to me a bit random and not perfectly synced with the shooting & barrier mechanics, to the point that sometimes I find myself clueless and with no way out of enemy fire.
Trouble Witches is fun in its own right, even if Deathsmiles is a bit better.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Fortinbras said:
How do I unlock the Mindblowing Mode? I've seen the option for the online mode but not for Single Play or Story Mode like the achievement suggests.

You have to 1cc the game.

englishbob said:
The bastard child of DeathSmiles, Powerstone and Fogotten Worlds.

Quite possibly the hardest "easy" mode ever?

Not at all. It's actually the first of these type of games that I ever managed to 1cc.

englishbob said:
The bastard child of DeathSmiles, Powerstone and Fogotten Worlds.

Quite possibly the hardest "easy" mode ever?

I'd say so. Really ramps up in difficulty towards the end and forces you to become familiar and very good with the card and bullet shield mechanics.

Story mode is where I'm spending most of my time. Relaxing difficulty and some nice, fully voiced stories. Has taken me around 45 minutes to finish each of the two I've attempted so far, so expecting to be kept busy with the game for quite some time!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nekobo said:
Waiting for my points card to arrive so I can buy this.

Is Nin2 Jump any good? I'm digging the art style.

The demo for Nin2 Jump kinda sucked... I wanted to believe it'd be decent because it's a Cave game, but I dunno... the platforming felt so unsatisfying and the pacing was a bit too slow.

Excellent fun, though I'm reminded again how my ability to play shmups nosedives when using a controller. For some reason I'm finding it harder than Deathsmiles, which I did actually manage to 1cc. Probably need to spend more time with it.

tiff

Banned
I've never really played shmups before, but I played the demo and it was fun (and cute!) despite my incompetence. So I bought it.

bon said:
Too bad this doesn't seem to be getting much buzz here. I thought Shmup GAF was bigger.

May be the anime character designs. I know a lot of shmup fans in general won't touch anything anime related (see: Deathsmiles etc). Which is fair enough, as long as people not buying this aren't the same people bitching about Cave releases being region locked and how they want to support shmups.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
JustAnotherOtaku said:
May be the anime character designs. I know a lot of shmup fans in general won't touch anything anime related (see: Deathsmiles etc).
Shooter fans being picky even when the game is good seems a tad counter-productive.

C-Jo

bon said:
Too bad this doesn't seem to be getting much buzz here. I thought Shmup GAF was bigger.
I thought the demo was pretty cool and bought it, I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. (was getting 200/200 in Nin2-Jump)

Is there a summary of the differences between the characters anywhere? I just tried using Lyla for the first time but her MP decreases hopelessly quickly.

aku:jiki

jooey said:
Shooter fans being picky even when the game is good seems a tad counter-productive.
No, not at all, it's actually very productive. There's an ongoing problem with shmups being too cross-pollinated with hentai and other "seedier" aspects of japanese geek culture. Too many shmups try to sell based on the fact that they have kids in bikinis in them, not that they're good, and the very worst part is that it's working! Shmups with half-naked kids in them do seem to sell better, which is why, I assume, Cave felt forced to join the party.

That's why DeathSmiles gets an extra heaping of hate, it was Cave's first real, 100% "moe" game. In other words, they sold out with it, according to some. (And that was after Dai-ou-jou already pushed it with putting "dolls" in our Dodonpachi.) I'm not of this opinion myself and I love Trouble Witches, but shmup fans not wanting the devs to marry their favorite genre to perverted hentai is not counter-productive if you ask me. Just give us back our spaceships and alien armadas, and skip the little kids in bikinis.

Jucksalbe said:
You can look up their stats in the "How To Play" section.
Yeah, but the bars there don't really make a lot of sense.

I'd say that right now, the "best character" is decided by the leaderboard. People are really loving that Valorie and I can see why - her very concentrated shots put you in perfect control of when to take enemies out for max score.

tiff

Banned
aku:jiki said:
No, not at all, it's actually very productive. There's an ongoing problem with shmups being too cross-pollinated with hentai and other "seedier" aspects of japanese geek culture. Too many shmups try to sell based on the fact that they have kids in bikinis in them, not that they're good, and the very worst part is that it's working! Shmups with half-naked kids in them do seem to sell better, which is why, I assume, Cave felt forced to join the party.

That's why DeathSmiles gets an extra heaping of hate, it was Cave's first real, 100% "moe" game. In other words, they sold out with it, according to some. (And that was after Dai-ou-jou already pushed it with putting "dolls" in our Dodonpachi.) I'm not of this opinion myself and I love Trouble Witches, but shmup fans not wanting the devs to marry their favorite genre to perverted hentai is not counter-productive if you ask me. Just give us back our spaceships and alien armadas, and skip the little kids in bikinis.
I pray for their continued failure.

Yay, just 1CC'd the game on heart pounding difficulty!! Fucking hard game oh my god. So satisfying to finally kill that last boss after all my failed attempts.
(I know there are harder shmups, but this is about as challenging a game that I can complete.)

Gaspode_T

FYI I found out one of the achievements involves bugging (clicking on) the shop girl enough that she kicks you out of the shop 13 times LOL

I have only played through once with Sakurako, some of the dialogue is super cheesy and the voice actor for Sakurako is clearly non-fluent English speaker so give them a break for trying hard to speak in English :p I did have fun, it's not really hard in Story Mode...there are only 2 people on my leaderboards even though I have a bunch of shmup fans on my friends list...like someone said, shmup fans being so picky about games is probably the #1 problem with that genre right now.

Top Bottom