• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Endings as DLC?!

saunderez

The sad thing is...people will still buy those DLCs just to be part of the bandwagon.

I'm buying the Asura's Wrath DLC because I want more Asura's Wrath and theres never going to be a sequel. It's got nothing to do with jumping on a bandwagon and everything to do with playing more of a game I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've got no problem with this as a fan of the game.

The ending was conclusive. After seeing the true ending, I just assumed it was a good hook for a sequel. Of course I was also concerned that said sequel would likely never get developed.

I'm happy with the DLC in that case.

Why don't they just start breaking up games into episodes and sell them $10 a piece and when they are done sell all the episodes together as a collection? You know....like comic books have done for a hundred years?

Jamie OD

What's sad is if people buy into this, EVERYONE is going to start doing it. Why miss out on that additional $7-10 if you leave the ending off and make it DLC?

Online Pass pt.2

The one thing this entire DLC debacle from the past month has taught me above all else is that gamers are a lot more eager to spend money on their hobby than they like to admit.

Rockstar (more or less) do DLC correctly. That's what I consider as worthy DLC, everyone else and their $1 DLC flipflops aren't doing it correctly.

Those guys that turned unlockables (complete game earn unlockable in cheat menu for example) into DLC aren't doing it correctly.

Why don't they just start breaking up games into episodes and sell them $10 a piece and when they are done sell all the episodes together as a collection? You know....like comic books have done for a hundred years?

Didn't the latest Sonic try this?

I find the idea of selling the "true" ending of a game as additional paid-for DLC truly abhorrent - but I'd actively support anything offered free to original purchasers / people with an online pass, which second-hand users have to shell out for.

Isn't this the entire point of a sequel? I mean, I know there's a distinction here, but the line seems kinda blurry.

Expectations for sequels are much higher than DLC. DLC is assumed to be episodic in nature and simply adding more content without changing the mechanics is accepted. People seem to not accept that when sequels come around. The expect much more content, a change or refinement in gameplay and/or design. All this equates to two different budgets and timelines.

Imo, this is a fine practice because it depends on the consumer. With Fallout 3, I didn't mind the vanilla ending but at the same token the DLC made it better for me. In the case of a title like ME3, after so much time invested and what I witnessed in the last 10 minuites of the game.... I wouldn't even glance twice at the offer of endgame DLC from them. I am done with the series.

So, back in consumer hands as always. If people catch wind that the ending of your game is horrible and then you start talking about DLC endings.... that will kill any possibility of a sale from a gamer like me.

Lancehead

do you seriously think that The Ballad of Gay Tony should be free?

I'm not commenting on the worth of the DLC that's out there, but more on how I want it to be.

Expansion packs are called DLC these days.

Expansion packs should not be free.

Labelling/branding is quite important. Releasing content under 'DLC' is more prone to result in questionable practices.

I think the DLC model should be such that they can be released free of price, as a token of appriciation to those who bought the game. Like Valve, for example. Meaning the content and the number of DLC per game should be small enough to facilitate that.

Rockstar (more or less) do DLC correctly. That's what I consider as worthy DLC, everyone else and their $1 DLC flipflops aren't doing it correctly.

Those guys that turned unlockables (complete game earn unlockable in cheat menu for example) into DLC aren't doing it correctly.

Didn't the latest Sonic try this?

Or Sam and Max.

monome

I'm buying the Asura's Wrath DLC because I want more Asura's Wrath and theres never going to be a sequel. It's got nothing to do with jumping on a bandwagon and everything to do with playing more of a game I thoroughly enjoyed.
YES

I've got no problem with this as a fan of the game.

The ending was conclusive. After seeing the true ending, I just assumed it was a good hook for a sequel. Of course I was also concerned that said sequel would likely never get developed.

I'm happy with the DLC in that case.
YES

I will never purchase a game that expects me to buy the ending separately for an extra charge.

Neither should any of you.
DON'T BE SAD.

Valnen

I'm not commenting on the worth of the DLC that's out there, but more on how I want it to be.

Labelling/branding is quite important. Releasing content under 'DLC' is more prone to result in questionable practices.

I think the DLC model should be such that they can be released free of price, as a token of appriciation to those who bought the game. Like Valve, for example. Meaning the content and the number of DLC per game should be small enough to facilitate that.

That could never work for games where they need to release a lot of DLC, like Rock Band series. You can't apply a blanket rule of "all DLC should be free" to the industry.

vg260

What? It's happening again?

I went to see the movie 'Clue' in theaters and different theaters got different endings! I got the worst one at my theater. Then they tried to sell me a VHS with all the fake endings and the true one. It's deja vu all over again!

The problem I have with such DLC is, that these things turn up right after the game is released.

The game is just 1 month old, now there will be DLC that "concludes" the story. If I would buy the Game I already spent 60€.
Why should I spent 7 more Euro for something they could just give the fans for free?

Who even knows nowadays if the "true conclusion" wasnt really cut out from the main-game?
Especially when we are talking about Capcom.

I mean I am spending 60€ on a videogame. I want the full experience for the money I spent.
Even if the game has a satisfying ending... if I see there is a DLC called "conclusion" just 1-2 months after the release.
It sounds more like either "Oh. We couldnt put it in the Game when it went gold. But here! You can buy it!" or "Cut out from the Game".

Thats why I have a high opinion of Valve. Gabe Newell even said that such things should be free...

But thats just my stance of it.

Lancehead

That could never work for games where they need to release a lot of DLC, like Rock Band series. You can't apply a blanket rule of "all DLC should be free" to the industry.

The business model for games like Rock Band is very different. I thought the business model I'm talking about was obvious enough. Like, I wasn't implying F2P games should provide paid content for free.

Kind of hard to top Sega.

You shut your dirty mouth. Sega is the most underrated publisher this gen. They've brought out so many good games and pretty much all of them have none of these "DLC" shenanigans.

From bringing us Platinum's stuff to the Yakuza team. Sega is pretty much one of the best companies this gen. I just wish they knew how to sell these games.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hey now, I have some beefs with Sega, but they've been pretty good to me lately. Binary Domain rocked! And now it's coming to PC on Steam so I can double-dip when it goes on sale!

You shut tour dirty mouth. Sega is the most underrated publisher this gen. They've brought out so many good games and pretty much all of them have none of these "DLC" shenanigans.

From bringing us Platinum's stuff to the Yakuza team. Sega is pretty much one of the best companies this gen. I just wish they knew how to sell these games.

Short memories? I'm talking about Sega as a platform holder. :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
The Dreamcast is one of the greatest consoles I have had the pleasure of owning.

How did that turn out for Sega? I mean if the Dreamcast is so great how did Sega fuck it up?

I'd like to play Valkyria Chronicles 3 without learning Japanese, now that I think of recent Sega beefs.

vg260

How did that turn out for Sega? I mean if the Dreamcast is so great how did Sega fuck it up?

The Dreamcast itself was great despite Sega's handling of their consoles. By that point the damage was done and it was doomed regardless. Great products can fail.

Barakov

This might very well be the most rotten thing to come out of this generation. And given how many rotten things came out this generation that says a lot.

jimi_dini

bla bla different budget bla bla totally fine because of that bla bla think about the developers bla bla ending was not included in the main game budget bla bla developers are starving bla bla please release more colors via DLC for 5$ a piece bla bla ending was much work to do and the main game actually had some sort of half ending, so totally a-okay bla bla if you don't want it, don't buy it bla bla at least it's not on disc bla bla at least it's on the disc

TL;DR: please increase game prices further using scam tactics, even if it's that shameless, there will still be defenders.

ubisoft also did this in the POP 2009 or whenever that one came out.

good thing I no longer buy their games so yeah; don't give a shittt.

* btw. unacceptable.

AW = no sale.

Top Bottom