• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Endings as DLC?!

Blizzard

Banned
I was going to bring up Prince of Persia 2008, but I was already beaten to the punch. I never actually finished the game myself, so I'm not sure if I would have been upset or not by the existing ending. =P

Well, okay. As long as it ends in a satisfying way. I was thinking FFXIII-2 or ME3 at first.

I think the main problem is that a lot of people just haven't played AW, so they're thinking that the game just cuts off at a certain point without giving you an acceptable conclusion.
By the end of the game you'll complete the mission that you set out for at the beginning of the game. It's just that at a certain point in the story you'll slowly see another story thread start to develop and that's the one that's eventually used as the cliffhanger.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wanted to do this thread myself.

this shit is preposterous. They basically sell you 70-80$ game + some other DLC sometimes.

From the recent industry practices this one is the worst one. And this will affect my purchases from now on. Before buying the game I will always ask here - IF THERE IS AN ENDING???? if yes, I'm buying it. If not I'm waiting for sale.

ultron87

I was going to bring up Prince of Persia 2008, but I was already beaten to the punch. I never actually finished the game myself, so I'm not sure if I would have been upset or not by the existing ending. =P

The "Epilogue" ending to POP 2008 is just as inconclusive as the original ending and has been entirely overblown by people that never played it. It perfectly fits the description of an epilogue and gives people that wanted a bit more game some more game.

The "Epilogue" ending to POP 2008 is just as inconclusive as the original ending and has been entirely overblown by people that never played it. It perfectly fits the description of an epilogue.

I don't think it was overblown at all. Basically the final minutes of the original ending are there solely to get you to buy the DLC. That's... just wrong on so many level.s

notworksafe

C'mon man. I'm sure the ending wasn't developed at the same time as the rest of the game.
For what it's worth the first DLC download seems to be 1.08gb. So it seems a decent portion of the content is being developed after the main game development was finished.

Bebpo

Banned
Don't say this; HR has been sitting in my backlog for three months and I was just thinking of playing it.

Now, Ubisoft, could we maybe have the Assassin's Creed Revelations ending without having to pay extra for it?

There's a DLC ending? Lost Archives isn't an ending.

JdFoX187

Banned
Worked for Shenmu..... Halo!

You had to wait three years for that one and what a disappointment it was.

I don't agree with the sentiments surrounding Prince of Persia '08 or Alan Wake. Those were obviously epilogues with extra end-game content. There's nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is cutting off the ending to a game and then selling it back as DLC. Or pulling a Bioware and putting such a shit ending in the game that they can get away with selling a better ending again as DLC. It's an extremely fine line to walk.

Haunted

I liked the original PoP 2008 ending.

The game was finished as it was, so I didn't see the need to buy epilogue DLC or whatever.

You had to wait three years for that one and what a disappointment it was.

I don't agree with the sentiments surrounding Prince of Persia '08 or Alan Wake. Those were obviously epilogues with extra end-game content. There's nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is cutting off the ending to a game and then selling it back as DLC.
Yeah, basically.

But that'll happen sooner or later. Getting to see how the story ends is a really strong incentive for people to buy the DLC.

Shinriji

I don't think it was overblown at all. Basically the final minutes of the original ending are there solely to get you to buy the DLC. That's... just wrong on so many level.s

The epilogue was an excuse to sell an extra area in the game with some story that covers the gap for the sequel. The vanilla game has an (awesome) ending and conclusive to boot. The DLC ending is downright crap and sours the original ending. But it is not the same case, not at all.

I liked the original PoP 2008 ending.

The game was finished as it was, I didn't see the need to buy epilogue DLC or whatever.

Yeah. It was one of those sappy what would you do for love kind of endings, but I liked it. Totally stands on its own, and Ubisoft could have easily made a follow up game instead of that dumb epilogue that doesn't do anything.

Eusis

Was this confirmed? Because there's plenty of cliffhangers that lead into a sequel that do that sort of thing (not the DLC, how the original ending worked) and it didn't really feel like the DLC "completed" it so much as provided an epilogue and a bridging bit of story to the next game. They feasibly could've just started the sequel like that instead had they made one.

Of course, that also highlights why I hate the trend to end new games on cliffhangers, if there's no reasonable guarantee of a sequel then don't fucking set things up for a two parter, trilogy, or further. Hell, it's still annoying if there IS that guarantee, not unless the sequel's going to come out stupid fast, and that seemed to only be viable on the PS2.

Haunted

Setting up a potential sequel (excellently, I might add) and then doing nothing with it is much worse.

Darksiders 2, I'm looking at you.

ultron87

The original ending, final minutes and all, was fantastic. The only scummy part of the transaction would be if they ever marketed the DLC as an actual climax or conclusion to the story instead of an epilogue.

The ending would've been actually perfect if they had given you the choice to just walk away.

Danny 117

I don't really agree with publishers charging for true game endings

[Please pay 800 microsoft points to see Danny 117's actual opinion on the matter]

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was unbelievably angry when I first found this out. It felt like the sum of all videogame DLC wrongs made flesh... I should have made the topic back then. But here we are.

Asura's Bullshit.

JdFoX187

Banned
Setting up a potential sequel (excellently, I might add) and then doing nothing with it is much worse.

Darksiders 2, I'm looking at you.

Such a blue balls ending. I'm hoping the ending of Darksiders 2 gives us some hint about what's going to happen from there. We better not get the same damn cinematic from Death's perspective.

jorgeton

Gross. Welcome to next-gen gaming.

I hope consumers take note of this emerging trend and voice their outrage. DLC is supposed to expand/add to the game, not patch in something that should be there to begin with, you know, like a true conclusion. As much as I loved FFXIII-2, I get more and more annoyed I'll have to pay another $10-15 to see the ending (on top of the $80 I already spent on the CE) if they go the DLC route and don't crank out another sequel.

And that PoP 2008 epilogue was totally unnecessary. the game ended on a down note, but it had closure. The DLC, while great fun, just set up a cliffhanger for a sequel that is never to be.

ultron87

Did anyone that actually beat Asura's Wrath feel like the ending was lacking? Because this really sounds more like a tiny expansion pack than a bolted on ending.

I would have expected nothing less from Capcpom.

... But guys, the ending was made on a different budget, you're just being entitled!

The more we let them slide on shit like this, the more they're going to take advantage of us.

Figures. Who here is going to wait until a couple of months down the line when this is released all in one downloadable bundle, or an Asura's Wrath Complete Edition on disc?

notworksafe

Did anyone that actually beat Asura's Wrath feel like the ending was lacking? Because this really sounds more like an expansion pack than a bolted on ending.
I am curious about this as well.

So far this thread just seems to be people that don't own the game saying they won't buy the DLC for a game they don't own and haven't played (or refuse to buy the game because of DLC that adds an ending that may or may not be needed for closure).

Volcynika

Did anyone that actually beat Asura's Wrath feel like the ending was lacking? Because this really sounds more like a tiny expansion pack than a bolted on ending.
Nope, I felt it was fine. I'm glad I have this and don't have to wait for a sequel that may never come.

To the people already judging capcom, can you atleast play the game first and finish so you have some credibility?

There are people that own the game, beaten the game and are saying the game is solely complete story wise. But I guess everybody loves to jump on the hate-wagon

SykoTech

I think the main problem is that a lot of people just haven't played AW, so they're thinking that the game just cuts off at a certain point without giving you an acceptable conclusion.
By the end of the game you'll complete the mission that you set out for at the beginning of the game. It's just that at a certain point in the story you'll slowly see another story thread start to develop and that's the one that's eventually used as the cliffhanger.

Yeah, I'm one of those people. And with FFXIII-2 and ME3 coming out recently, I guess I instantly thought of this in a negative way. Granted, I haven't gotten around to FFXIII-2 or ME3 yet either. But based on the reactions, it's pretty much unversial that those endings aren't satisfying.

Facism

You should have titled the thread

"Asura's Wrath Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See."

Not a penny more out of my wallet goes to this terrible developer.

Riposte

I am curious about this as well.

So far this thread just seems to be people that don't own the game saying they won't buy the DLC for a game they don't own and haven't played (or refuse to buy the game because of DLC that adds an ending that may or may not be needed for closure).

Sorry I'm too busy playing off my prejudices and jumping to conclusions.

I hate when you have to finish a game on hard mode or complete 100% jut to see a the real ending... But this is outrageous.

notworksafe

People that played the game seem to have enjoyed it and are seeing this as a nice bonus. I think the "terrible developer" thing seems to be coming from your own prejudices, not from any experience with the game or its ending.

Sorry I'm too busy playing off my prejudices and jumping to conclusions.
Oh, so you're a GAF member.

ultron87

God damn developers providing gamers with the opportunity to get some more content that chronologically follows a satisfying ending in a game they enjoyed.

Eusis

This honestly seems more like a case of bad MARKETING, rather that tout that you get to see more of the story you get to see the "true ending", implying the game wasn't actually finished satisfactorily.

Huh?
His wife wakes up randomly by the sea, and he goes into some sort of coma. There's no conclusion at all. Devs shouldn't make a blatant cliff-hanger that doesn't even try to wrap things up if they don't know for sure whether they'll get to make a sequel.

jorgeton

God damn developers providing gamers with the opportunity to get some more content that chronologically follows a satisfying ending in a game they enjoyed.

This, I am OK with. I haven't played AW so I don't know how it ends. So if it's an more of expansion and less of a completion, then sure, cool with me.

What's not cool is half-assed cliffhangers followed by $10 DLC with the "complete ending" or whatever.

This honestly seems more like a case of bad MARKETING, rather that tout that you get to see more of the story you get to see the "true ending", implying the game wasn't actually finished satisfactorily.

In this case, it might be just bad marketing, haven't played the game. But when you put it in bold capital letters, it's hard to ignore the intent.

Emitan

I wish Alpha Protocol did this so I could play more of it :(

The ending wasn't very satisfying knowing it won't ever get a sequel.

Top Bottom