• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True or False? A steak that needs steak sauce isnt a good steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find most meats boring without sauce. BBQ is my preference.

...and we don't buy shit quality meats.

Bacon is the exception. That never needs sauce.

Also, to counter some posts in this thread, some of us can taste multiple things at once. God knows what you're doing wrong if you cannot taste the meat over the sauce.

Same. Though getting that runoff of maple syrup from pancakes when it hits the bacon actually tastes nice.

squidyj

I haven't met a steak sauce I really liked. but I don't think using flavorings rubs and sauces is inherently wrong, it imparts a different experience to the meat that isn't necessarily better or worse.

Nose Master

I agree, yeah. Not enough to be personally offended by those that don't know what they're missing, though. Same goes for anything above medium. It's a waste of a steak and childish imo, but it's what they like. /shrug.

Hazmat

I'd never say anything in person, but I cringe at the idea of someone putting A1, ketchup, or some other bottled sauce on a good steak. I mean, if you ordered a steak at Chili's, by all means, sauce that rubbery shit up, but a good cut of meat prepared properly gets drowned out by sauce like that.

Now, a good steak au poivre, that's a fantastic steak and sauce meal.

Sauce just adds to the steak. A bad steak is bad regardless of sauce or not. Sauce can make a bad steak decent. But can make a good steak great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's mathematical, if steak - sauce = -steak then the steak variable isn't high enough
Hahaha pretty much :D

Also there are some bad sauces out there. Montreal spice rub is good, F0rneus does have that right (although a little too religiously to my liking xD). Some pepper or mushroom sauces can be very good too. I've had some really tasty homemade porto or wine sauces with steaks before too, which is ironic considering how much I hate alcohol in drinks.

Ketchup and generic store bought bottle sauces though? Ack! The thought of putting ketchup on a filet mignon is criminal.

A good steak can stand on it's own. However nothing wrong with a pepper corn sauce or something similar. It adds something to a mediocre steak.

However If I'm getting something like a Filet mignon and they even suggest a sauce I'd be cautious. A cut that good should stand alone.

DonMigs85

I agree, really good quality meat doesn't need anything like gravy or steak sauce. Maybe a bit of garlic herbed butter or salt n pepper at most.

TSM

Steak is like french fries. If you take a bite and are reaching for something to put on it then it's not very good. Also like someone else mentioned, if you are cooking a steak past medium rare, then there's no point in paying for a nice cut of beef.

KillerBEA

I used love putting A1 and the ilk on my steak, I tried it once without and can't go back. Would have to be 1 very dry or bland teak for me to bust it out now.

Gattsu25

Banned
A good steak doesn't need any sauce but if someone always uses sacue then so be it.

Some people just have shitty taste.. hell, some people even put ketchup on their eggs. Disgusting.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I only use this
300x300px-LS-e4a7f476_B0016DCA0I-41MknyqAYyL.jpg

I don't cover the entire piece of steak, just lightly dip

Depends on the steak. Fillet is pretty bland. Thats why its always wrapped in bacon. A nice, perfectly cooked med rare ribeye only needs salt and pepper.

tokkun

A good steak can stand on it's own. However nothing wrong with a pepper corn sauce or something similar. It adds something to a mediocre steak.

However If I'm getting something like a Filet mignon and they even suggest a sauce I'd be cautious. A cut that good should stand alone.

Filet mignon has almost no natural flavor, though. It needs to be well seasoned with something.

RulkezX

I dont care how much I pay for my steak, I'm having either blue cheese, peppercorn or Diane sauce with it.

A "steak" sauce out of a bottle isn't something I'd really like to try, though.

see5harp

I personally don't feel that using sauce on a steak is sacrilege. I've been to incredibly nice prime steak houses and have seen plenty of people order hollandaise or bernaise with their filet. To me, it's much more important that the steak is prepared correctly.

Cooked some t-bones on Wed that would have been a crime to put sauce on. A little salt, a little pepper is all a steak like that needs.

That said, those didn't come cheap, if you use a cheaper cut then I can see using sauce.

entremet

I dont care how much I pay for my steak, I'm having either blue cheese, peppercorn or Diane sauce with it.

A "steak" sauce out of a bottle isn't something I'd really like to try, though.

Those are acceptable because they're made a la minute (made to order, not sitting in some bottle for ages).

MultiCore

I personally don't feel that using sauce on a steak is sacrilege. I've been to incredibly nice prime steak houses and have seen plenty of people order hollandaise or bernaise with their filet. To me, it's much more important that the steak is prepared correctly.
They're ordering a (likely house made) bernaise our hollandaise, not cheap A1.

Big difference.

Again, I really like A1. But if I have to ask for it, something is wrong with the steak.

I eat a steak as it is served, know that professional chefs never go above medium rare on steaks that They want to eat, and I am not afraid to send back an overcooked steak.

I love marinading my rib steaks, I think that counts for a sauce. Plus I always add some Montreal steak spice on top. It's delicious.
ss.jpeg

Steak snobs.. Can't we just all enjoy our meats the way we like it?

I'm Asian. When I went to America I applied some A1 sauce without knowing what it was. God it tastes disgusting to me, so sour. I have no idea how you guys can even apply that sauce on a fine piece of meat that is steak.

Ketchup or mustard, maybe, but A1 and all the various steak sauces are so overpowering it doesn't even go with the steak. It just overpowers it.

10114504.jpg

zeshakag

I love A1. I slather that shit on my steak IDGAF.

Unless I'm at a really nice restaurant, then I'll resist. But I just like the taste of A1 + meat.

A filet takes a fatty sauce well. It's very lean.

A NY Strip or porterhouse need nothing really. The marbling is good enough.

The best piece of meat I've ever eaten was a double bone in USDA Prime piece of filet mignon. Nothing on it. Just a heavenly piece of meat. If someone had ruined it with any sort of sauce I didn't ask for I would have flipped my lid.

Skux

Absolutely true. Nothing should ever needed to be added after a properly marinated/seasoned and cooked steak. The steak juices mixing with the marinate should be enough.

TTG

I would say it depends on how often you eat steak. If it's a fairly regular part of your diet, say once a week, you would probably do well to look into making pan sauces. Likewise when preparing tenderloin, go for some sort of sauce, it's too lean to produce much flavor otherwise.

The thing about most supermarket beef is it's homogenized and on the bland side. It's still awesome for how tender and juicy and at the same crusty on the outside the steak is and for the simple fact that you're enjoying a well cooked 12+ ounce slab of fatty beef. But, that lack of strong flavor(relatively), is going to get old.

zeshakag

Chicago for sure is a no ketchup zone. We call our hot dogs "dragged through the garden" and they're packed with other stuff that doesn't match with ketchup at all, which is where that comes from.

As someone who has made chicago hot dogs in the past, getting the right ingredients is a true pain in the ass if you're not in Chicago. Nobody here in WA knows wtf a sport pepper is, and if they do they ship it from chicago. I'm about to buy some seeds and start a cascadian sport pepper empire.

If it needs it in order to taste alright, that's a shitty piece of meat. But there's plenty of sauces that enhance a great steak or roast, without overpowering. I eat steak pretty often. A nice demi-glace, wine reduction, bordelaise, chimichurri, romesco, et cetera adds some wonderful flavor and gives me some variety. And there's still plenty of times I want my steak with nothing but a nice coating of sea salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom