• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True or False? A steak that needs steak sauce isnt a good steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

The best piece of meat I've ever eaten was a double bone in USDA Prime piece of filet mignon. Nothing on it. Just a heavenly piece of meat. If someone had ruined it with any sort of sauce I didn't ask for I would have flipped my lid.

I would say it doesn't need it. It's a nice complement for that cut.

I never order filet, though. I always get the fattier cuts.

Usually béarnaise is served on the side as well. It never tops a filet.

Tigress

A steak that needs steak sauce isn't too good. That doesn't mean that cause you prefer steak sauce on a steak makes it bad. I mean I always prefer A1 with my steak (and yes i know some people consider that blasphemy). But, I can eat a decent to good steak without it (If I have to. I do have one friend that she will get insulted but she's also really good with steak so it balances out). But if I have to have it to enjoy the steak, it wasn't too good of a steak.

I like mine medium rare with just olive oil, salt, pepper and a pat of butter, but eat what you like. Who the fuck cares?

EDIT: Sometimes I'll put some caramelized onions up there.

Zombine

Banned
A good steak will eat itself. If you get the right cut you should only be served a plate with some garnish on it. Then you should order a hot dog with no Catsup on it and some relish.

Zyzyxxz

Steak with sauce is not sacrilege because the French have done it forever.

Steak bernaise, steak au poivre, in America steak diane.

But A1 steaksauce is shitty sauce.

My stance is if you want to mask the flavor of expensive steak with sauce fine thats your discretion but don't use inferior sauces to pair with a great steak (ketchup, A1, ranch etc.)

iamblades

The best piece of meat I've ever eaten was a double bone in USDA Prime piece of filet mignon. Nothing on it. Just a heavenly piece of meat. If someone had ruined it with any sort of sauce I didn't ask for I would have flipped my lid.

Wat?

Tenderloin has no bones. Do some restaurants actually sell a filet with a tiny piece of vertebrae still attached and act like it is adding something?

Omega

Banned
its such a dumb saying because it should apply to anything

it would be like saying putting toppings on a pizza means its not a good pizza because the basic ingredients aren't good enough.

tokkun

Wat?

Tenderloin has no bones. Do some restaurants actually sell a filet with a tiny piece of vertebrae still attached and act like it is adding something?

The filet is one half of the tbone. A bone-in filet would be a tbone with the strip steak removed.

it would be like saying putting toppings on a pizza means its not a good pizza because the basic ingredients aren't good enough.

AbbppTT.gif

iamblades

Not through the meat, but it's absolutely attached to a bone and can be served that way. A T-bone has a part of the tenderloin attached to the bone.

'attached' is a very loose definition in this case i think. You can basically almost pull the tenderloin off with your bare hands, and that is the whole reason people like the tenderloin, no pesky connective tissue. It seems completely ludicrous to me that a steakhouse would advertise a bone in filet. All you are doing by that is complicating the butchery.

Of course really i'd just take the porterhouse and be done with it, but that's a whole other topic. Also ribeye > *

zeopower6

I don't think your example fits.... Like... at all, lol.

A steak that needs steak sauce isn't a good steak. Because if it were a good steak then it could stand on its own.

But that doesn't mean a steak with steak sauce is a bad steak. It could very well be a good steak without the sauce.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Uh... a pizza is literally about the toppings. A steak is... a steak.

Worst analogy ever?

iamblades

Worst analogy ever?

It's also not accurate, because simple pizzas are 1000x better than pizzas overloaded with toppings. A well done Margherita is one of the best food experiences you can have on this planet, and you can't get much simpler than that while remaining pizza.

Once you get above two toppings on a pizza it is effectively impossible to cook it properly, everything is a range of undercooked to burnt to a crisp.

zerotol

Banned

This reminds me of something I heard years ago:

A band is only as good as its drummer

A pizza is only as good as its crust.

I like that, though there are exceptions to it.

Meh. Not sure. The steaks that don't need sauce were just seasoned properly. But a steak is more than just it's flavor IMO. The texture is really important to me too. So how it's cooked matters a lot to me. I will say the best steak I had was add a Brazilian steakhouse, and it didn't need a damn thing added to it other than a fork. Do juicy and so delicious. Those Brazilians have the steak game mastered.

dity

I'd say for me it's false. I order a gravy to compliment the steak, rather than trying to mask flavour.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I honestly never heard about steak sauce before America introduced me to it. Must mean something

highrider

Banned
The rare occasions I have steak it's a good one so I'm not using any steak sauce, although our family usually has beef tenderloin at Christmas and my mom makes a horseradish sauce for that which is really good.

I kind of think of steak sauce as being more for average a lower quality meat, but I don't know anyone these days that eats steak regularly. It's like a few times a year and something you treat yourself on so it's the best cuts or at a fancy restaurant.

Apt101

It's totally subjective. Sometimes I'm in the mood for steak sauce, even when eating an exquisite steak, if only for a few bites, and sometimes I'm not.

I'm partial to steak with and without sauce, but whenever I have a particularly nice or expensive cut, I prefer to enjoy it plain.

weekev

Banned
It doesnt need it but i always make a creamy, whisky, mushroom sauce with the juices of my rested steak. Its beautiful.

nomster

Worst analogy ever?
The analogy was bad but this is not true at all. A good pizza place is good because their dough, sauce and cheese are good. Putting high quality ingredients on garbage is a waste.

styl3s

Why make a $45 steak taste like a $3 sauce?

A good steak is expensive. The flavor of a good steak is by definition expensive. It usually costs $20 plus for the chance to taste a good steak. Why pass that opportunity up to taste a sauce I can put on anything cheap?

If I want to taste A1 I'll put it on some chicken or pork or cheap steak.
I'll dip a $200 steak in A1 or Ketchup because i like A1 and Ketchup.

Always medium well with a side of A1 and if they don't have that Ketchup.

spuckthew

Medium/medium-rare depending on cut, and a side of peppercorn sauce. I only dab occasionally a bit of the meat into sauce - most of it I eat without. I just like peppercorn sauce is all.

entremet

what the fuck do you eat in america?
the fuck is A1? ketchup with a steak? seriously? Is this really what you think about when you hear "steak sauce"?

No this or this or this or this .
The fuck is wrong with you guys...

Many of us know this.

Not all of us are A1 using heathens ;P

styl3s

It's totally subjective. Sometimes I'm in the mood for steak sauce, even when eating an exquisite steak, if only for a few bites, and sometimes I'm not.
To steak snobs it isn't subjective sadly.

I don't care if you eat your steak well done with mustard long as you are enjoying it.

Majanew

Banned
Ew. The most I do is cooked onions and mushrooms on top.

For what? Added flavor? Lol, that's exactly why some use sauces. Most steaks you get at restaurants are seasoned, so the steak flavor has already been added to. Sometimes I eat high quality steaks with sauce, sometimes I don't. Depends what mood I'm in.

Now, I will cock an eyebrow at those that ask for steaks well done.

Cooked bacon chopped
Chopped mushrooms
Chopped onions
Some garlic *to taste
Red wine 1/2
Beef broth 1/2
Salt, pepper and a dash of Montreal steak seasoning

Reduce everything while mixed in a pot.

That's some fine steak topping right there boys!

I'm no meat expert, but 99.9% of the time I make a good piece of meat (usually a ribeye is my go-to), it just gets some nice salt and pepper with it. 0.1% of the time I might put a tiny little portion of A1 on my plate and dip a couple pieces in just for a quick change of pace, sometimes the fattiness of just the steak gets a little overwhelming to me so that's why I'll have a piece with a little sauce occasionally.

As for ketchup on steak... I don't what the fuck is up with that. Can already eat ketchup on 900 different cheap ass foods, why ruin a steak with it. Sounds absolutely disgusting and like it would completely mask the flavor of the steak as well. To each his own I guess.

If the steak needs the sauce, then yes, it's a bad steak. But simply putting sauce on a steak does not ruin it. My steaks are delicious on their own and have won plenty of ladies' heart, but they are even better with that one sauce I like to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom