• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump follows through on trans military ban; Signs

Joeytj

Banned
EDIT: Damn, forgot the second part. "Signs memo directing Pentagon to start banning transgender people from military"
And yeah, he does this on a Friday evening before a major hurricane.

It's official:

President Donald Trump signed a memo Friday that bans any new transgender men or women from joining the military, but also leaves it to Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis to determine the fates of transgender service members currently in uniform.

First, it directed that the Pentagon maintain a ban on any new accessions of transgender personnel into the military. Second, it halted the use of any Pentagon or Department of Homeland Security funds for sex reassignment surgery. Third, it directed Mattis to determine whether transgender personnel currently in uniform should be allowed to stay.

Not everyone will be banned immediately. It makes also an exception for those already undergoing identity reaffirming treatment.

Take away my rights if old.

I wish the entire army in the US would protest for simply one day and refuse to report for duty. I know it's impossible but it's nice to dream.

tbm24

They should all leave honestly. I understand why they likely won't, but really what's it going to feel like to know no one else who is like you will be allowed to enlist and serve alongside with you? This puts a massive sign on their back, more so than there likely already was(I'm not knowledgeable about how trans service members have been treated overall.)

even if trump were impeached, Pence would have gone further. Fuck. I found a silver lining in this shit sandwich of a situation.

58177a15150000d804530d10.jpeg

So if you are in the army, and you are trans will you get an honorable discharge?

Up to Mattis.

They should all leave honestly. I understand why they likely won't, but really what's it going to feel like to know no one else who is like you will be allowed to enlist and serve alongside with you? This puts a massive sign on their back, more so than there likely already was(I'm not knowledgeable about how trans service members have been treated overall.)

That would give Trump exactly what he wants.

Not

Banned
Fuck this guy.

PLEEEEASE let Trump be the nadir of our automatic "growing pain" response to the Internet causing straight cis white men to lose social standing.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fucking asshole. We need to make sure this clown and all his people get voted down in every election.
Do the right thing Mattis.

Do the right thing

Remove erectile dysfunction treatment options from your insurance coverage.

As a start.
What's their reasoning for this?

It just seems like such a pointless thing to do...

Because conservatives hate trans people.

Tonedeff

So if you are in the army, and you are trans will you get an honorable discharge?

From a procedure standpoint, this is my biggest question. I mean, they could get an Other than Honorable, but that's still pretty shitty, especially if trans folks are being pushed out through no fault of their own

rjinaz

I remember way back when people would bring up that he is going to be bad for that community and people would say" actually his record is pretty good on that and he probably will leave them alone".

Why people ever gave this man the benefit of the doubt I'll never know. He's shit through and through.

rjinaz

"Third, it directed Mattis to determine whether transgender personnel currently in uniform should be allowed to stay"

Uh

This is exactly why I asked

But thanks for your assumption?

Mattis will likely leave them be. He won't be able to do anything about getting them surgeries and what have you but he'll leave them alone. A troop serving the country is a troop serving the county. Too bad the CIC doesn't see it that way, he's too busy hating them.

I remember way back when people would bring up that he is going to be bad for that community and people would say" actually his record is pretty good on that and he probably will leave them alone".

Why people ever gave this man the benefit of the doubt I'll never know. He's shit through and through.

There's something about this guy that makes people who should know better act stupid.

Nydius

If Mattis decides to boot transgender service members under the third point of the memo (which would be unlikely, IMO), I could see them pushing them out one of two ways. Either they'll go with a General Discharge, Under Honorable Conditions* OR they'll issue a Medical Discharge, claiming that transgendered service members are considered unfit for operational service.

* As an aside, a General Discharge, Under Honorable Conditions is different than an Honorable Discharge. A General Discharge, Under Honorable Conditions effectively says "this person maintained most of the standards for an honorable discharge but not ALL".

rjinaz

There's something about this guy that makes people who should know better act stupid.

I think it's his non-commitalness. The dude just does what others want basically he rarely has stances of his own. If somebody like Pence wasn't whispering in his ear he probably wouldn't be doing this. Mostly because he'd have no reason to even think about it.

But that doesn't make him less shitty. Maybe it even makes him more shitty.

Draft dodging turd dictates military hiring policies. My irony meter just broke.

I really don't get his logic. Nothing about this signing makes any sense.

He's a bigot who should have been consigned to history, so we can all move forward. Sadly he's been elevated to a position to where he can turn back the clock. His base will eat this up.

Eusis

I'd hope he'd be the least terrible of GOP choices. And unfortunately he still may be (I suspect Jeb would be preferable though at this point) and is why I vote straight democrat anyway.

Hoping he'd get the GOP nom was like trying to control a crash landing, and there was actually a huge rock hidden just out of view! In a field full of said huge rocks, so there was no winning short of not crashing (and we SHOULDN'T have but we had a few idiots for engineers that ruined everything.)

Top Bottom