• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McCain becomes latest Republican to oppose Trump's transgender military service ban

KSweeley

This is some great news, more opposition towards Trump's transgender military service ban, McCain has become the latest Republican to oppose the ban: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.1feb54326e30

September 16, 2017

The top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee has joined an effort to challenge President Trump’s announced ban on transgender troops, a sign that open resistance to the order is growing.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a military hawk and one of the GOP’s most outspoken critics of Trump, said in a statement Friday that he was backing the measure because “we should welcome all those who are willing and able to serve our country.”

“Any member of the military who meets the medical and readiness standards should be allowed to serve — including those who are transgender,” he continued.

The announcement from McCain came as he joined Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), the ranking Democrat on the committee, and committee members Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) in introducing a bill to thwart the president’s plan.

Under Trump’s plan, Mattis has until Feb. 1 to finish his study. But the Senate’s bill would speed up Mattis’s timeline to the end of the year, prevent the military from discharging currently-serving transgender troops, and express Congress’ conviction that qualified individuals should be allowed to serve regardless of gender identity.

McCain doing good work lately between this and saving the ACA. Surreal that we're moving on from "this is very concerning."

Now let's be real here. He's not long for this world, and is trying to get right with God. I believe he's reflecting on all the misery he's helped his party's spread over his career.

gabbo

Now let's be real here. He's not long for this world, and is trying to get right with God. I believe he's reflecting on all the misery he's helped his party's spread over his career.

In [impending] death, he is the Maverick he was always claimed to be

Volimar

Eh. He doesn't really care about saving the ACA. It worked out for us this vote, but if a bill came up to destroy the ACA that he agreed with he'd be voting yes.

Top Bottom