• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Has Finally Condemned Neo-Nazis & KKK Two Days After Neo-Nazi Kills Protester

Gattsu25

Banned
Watched the video. No emotion, no empathy, no sign of much of any emotion shown during delivery. Clearly just a pre-scripted message meant to get everyone off his back. "I said the words see! Now leave me alone!"

Not even his usual "Yeah, I agree with that" asides that he interjects when he reads off a teleprompter. 100% on script because he probably doesn't actually agree

You guys are acting like its better Trump didn't say anything at all to condemn these racist acts. I mean, I see where you're coming from but I think even a probably forced statement condemning these racists acts is better than saying "All sides are bad" and leaving it at that like he did yesterday morning

Yes, because his first statement was endorsing them. He shouldn't get any applause for trying to play both sides. Plus he has card carrying guys like Bannon, Gorka, Miller in his ear. His actions make these words worthlessness.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
You guys are acting like its better Trump didn't say anything at all to condemn these racist acts. I mean, I see where you're coming from but I think even a probably forced statement condemning these racists acts is better than saying "All sides are bad" and leaving it at that like he did yesterday morning

I definitely agree, even tho we all know this was forced, he absolutely needed to come out and say it and I'm glad he did truth be told

Mahonay

Banned
The fact is, his "many sides" statement was the first one he came out with, and the one that was obviously coming from his heart. So that's why people are jumping on him now, when this is the exact opposite of the tune he's been singing these past couple of days. It's bullshit.

If he were sincere, he'd straight up apologize for not acting sooner and for saying both sides were responsible.

Like I said in the previous thread, too little too fucking late. This statement was obviously written by a third party and the damage was already done. Neo-Nazis celebrated the fact that the President didn't condemn them along with other groups he condemended like BLM or MS-13. He had multiple chances to make his stance days ago and just shook his head while walking away as reporters wanted a comment about Charlottesville. The CEO of a pharmaceutical company, a black man, resigned his position from Trump's circle because of the rally and its after effects only for Trump to respond and lash out at him minutes later on Twitter. The Nazis and alt-right are just going to say how he was forced to do this and his true actions were days ago.

So fuck POTUS a thousand ways to Sunday.

Now back those words with action and enforcement, Donnie. We've had woefully inefficient efforts from law enforcement to prevent and respond to white nationalist violence. Treat it like the terrorism it is.

This was a very complex and morally grey issue with no clear cut answer. Let us be thankful that a man as well read, well spoken, erudite and eloquent as Trump decided to be the most presidential person there is by carefully thinking about how to navigate this difficult issue for a few days before arriving at a meaningful public statement from his own heart and totally without the likely assistance of any of his aides or intense external pressure.

UberTag

Yes, because his first statement was endorsing them. He shouldn't get any applause for trying to play both sides. Plus he has card carrying guys like Bannon, Gorka, Miller in his ear. His actions make these words worthlessness.
I look forward to the editorial cartoons which depict the Nazis in his cabinet all holding Trump at gunpoint as he unemotionally reads today's message like a hostage victim.

Zeta Oni

Ill say the same thing I said in the other thread:

And I just cant agree.

At least in a reality where he never came out and said this, all of the cards would be on the table in this country for once.

Now we have deal with those who will look and say "oh look the president said something against it" and return back to their jolly every day lives since the fear that their government might actually be run by white nationalists has been "subdued".

Now we have to cross our eyes every time someone throws out a "but at least he spoke against it" despite everyone with some common sense knowing he meant none of it.

His words did nothing but let the people who sit idly by and let this poison continue to spread throughout our country through their inaction know that they can afford to sit around a little longer.

If racism is evil, but not so evil that it should prevent people from holding high-level positions in the government, what heinous acts would Sessions and Bannon have to do for Trump to fire them?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Know what? I'm not going to hate on this. Late or not.

He said it. He did not mince words about it. The KKK, Neo-nazis and white supremacy groups are a gross stain on the fabric that is the United States.
He might have been dragged to that teleprompter kicking and screaming, but at least the people handling him had enough power to kick some sense into this buffoon in that he actually read a somewhat powerful statement about it.

And now put the words into action and bring each and every one of these hooded, polo-wearing miscreants to justice.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"Racism is evil"

Five minutes later:

GoHHxXd.png

Dehnus

Better than nothing

This is nothing. By using "including" and "other hate groups", he basically implies that the protestors that got hit were at fault and they too are a hate group. Mark my words, just like before with Spencer thinking "is Trump denouncing antifa!?", so will this be explained by them.

As he leaves them plenty of space to turn it into that and that it was "self defense!", even though that is complete BULLSHIT!

Late Flag

He said it. He did not mince words about it. The KKK, Neo-nazis and white supremacy groups are a gross stain on the fabric that is the United States.
He might have been dragged to that teleprompter kicking and screaming, but at least the people handling him had enough power to kick some sense into this buffoon in that he actually read a somewhat powerful statement about it.

I get what you're saying, but let's stop for a moment and reflect on the fact that the president had be dragged kicking and screaming to say that the KKK is a bad thing.

rjinaz

Has David Duke commented yet?

Yes. Well he retweeted another:

David Duke‏ @DrDavidDuke 16m16 minutes ago

David Duke Retweeted The Red Elephants

It's amazing to see how the media is able to bully the President of the United States into going along with their FAKE NEWS narrative.

But also

David Duke‏ @DrDavidDuke 7m7 minutes ago

The Alt-Right was up against protesters that were seemingly invisible to the media and the Trump administration in #Charlottesville.

So I don't know...

Doesnt matter much, does it. The fact that it took so long and required so much arm twisting means the Nazis already got the message of tacit approval.

They know this statement is just window dressing.

It's insane to me that anyone is actually giving him any credit for this, like a child who finally took three bites of broccoli while glaring balefully around the table

The damage is done

Yes. Well he retweeted another:

David Duke‏ @DrDavidDuke 16m16 minutes ago

David Duke Retweeted The Red Elephants

It's amazing to see how the media is able to bully the President of the United States into going along with their FAKE NEWS narrative.

But also

David Duke‏ @DrDavidDuke 7m7 minutes ago

The Alt-Right was up against protesters that were seemingly invisible to the media and the Trump administration in #Charlottesville.

So I don't know...

Shame white supremacists are such pussies.

A few days ago he called out Trump and told him not to forget who put him in power. Now it's this

Hoo-doo

Banned
I get what you're saying, but let's stop for a moment and reflect on the fact that the president had be dragged kicking and screaming to say that the KKK is a bad thing.

Yes i'm aware of the clown car that is your body of government.

But i'm not going to be all 'look at that bitch eating those crackers' in here. He said what had to be said, albeit two days late.

And now put the words into action and bring each and every one of these hooded, polo-wearing miscreants to justice.

There will be no action.

It's insane to me that anyone is actually giving him any credit for this, like a child who finally took three bites of broccoli while glaring balefully around the table

The damage is done

It's one of those "better than it was before, but still a net bad" situations.

But it doesn't really make a difference, just like how it doesn't ultimately matter once Fox News helps spread a heinous lie and then prints a retraction but only after their rabid base already believes the lie.

And, more importantly, the real problem isn't Trump's statements but the actions being taken by his administration.

FromAtoX

Too little too late. His first message was received loud and clear by his core group of white supremacist. He was forced to do this and the nazis know it, so they would disregard this and take it as another master manipulator move. The only thing he can do to really show he is against them is to fire Bannon and/or Miller.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That teleprompter stare though.

Yea, if there was EVER a speech that didn't require a written statement, one that stems from leadership to tap into the core of the vision and values held by the fabric of the country, one that reminds all of us how vital these truths are self evident and to be upheld by the person elected to do so.

This was it. He failed hard.

Jenov

Should have been said on fucking day 1 of the rally when that poor woman was murdered by a white supremacist. This looks way too late now. I'm glad he's on record saying it, but it feels weak and forced so many days later. Unfortunately, it will do little to nothing to dissuade future neo nazi rallies as they think they already got a pass from him.

kmax

Why is he condemning the very people that he's hired to be his mouth piece? Steve Bannon is the supreme leader of the alt right nazi swine. McMaster, Kushner, and Ivanka probably kicked his door in and forced him to say these things. Of course, Donald has no problem resorting to lies and deceit to achieve his goals, and since he much rather want this whole storm to go away, he had to put on the tough guy act.

Sorry Donald. These last few days have spoken volumes to where you, and only you stand. A real president would of condemned it the very same day.

Oh, we're still waiting for you to say radical right wing terrorism.

Surfinn

I'm honestly surprised he was that specific.

Wonder what Nazis are saying now.

"He was forced to say it, he doesn't mean it though!"

timberger

What kind of human being has to be forced by public/media pressure to admit that the KKK and Neo-Nazis are bad and still come off as completely insincere when doing so?

Top Bottom