• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump thanks Putin for expelling 755 US staff currently serving in Russia

Zubz

Banned
With all these idiotic statements today, I'm convinced someone else in his cabal got raided today.

It's his pattern. He says something to create controversy in a poor attempt to divert later controversy. & fails.

I was just thinking Trump does not want to fill in those vacant overseas ambassador worldwide posts to save costs and now this news.

Can't wait to hear Jeffery Lord's defense of th...oh
francis.png

kcp12304

Banned
“If you don’t fund the State Department fully, then I need to buy more ammunition ultimately. So I think it’s a cost benefit ratio. The more that we put into the State Department’s diplomacy, hopefully the less we have to put into a military budget as we deal with the outcome of an apparent American withdrawal from the international scene.” - General Mattis

These career diplomats and staff work in a difficult situation so people like Trump don't start wars. If he wanted to save taxpayer money then he should end his vacation he's on.

Lorcain

I was going to ask if this was real and then I saw the video.

LOL how is this even possible. US you dun goofed.
We did more than just goofed. Over a 1/3 of our voters elected this lunatic. Somewhere between 20-30% of Americans love this dangerous idiot. Sometimes I laugh about it, but most of the time it's too painful.

charltonhestonplanetoftheapes.gif

He keeps beating his own record of stupidity. The people Putin expelled are not his employees. They are part of the US state department and they are still getting paid for their work. The fact that Trump doesn't understand this fundamental aspect of government policy and protocol is comically terrifying to say the least. Muller better deliver soon.

Brinbe

This is quickly surpassing levels of possible satire.

I'd say he's just fucking with us at this point, but he's not nearly that clever.

Shoeless

So, what is the Alt Right perception of this? Is Trump still acting Alpha to them, and still their glorious leader, or have they actually seen this statement and labeled it--and him--a cuck move?

Shauni

With all these idiotic statements today, I'm convinced someone else in his cabal got raided today.

It's his pattern. He says something to create controversy in a poor attempt to divert later controversy. & fails.

Divert his own attention maybe.

Mask

It's like goddamn Walking Dead at this point.

Putin is negan, telling trump he just stuck his dick down his throat, and Trump just thanks him for it, holy shit.

Kettch

We have diplomats in other countries in order to advance American interests though, being well worth their cost...

Ohhhh, right. Trump is just concerned with Russian interests. I almost forgot, it's been a few hours since he last pandered to them.

krioto

USA is now a laughing stock on the world stage... its so cringe-worthily embarrassing, and I'm not even american.

The bovine-like intelligence on display in that clip really shows what a stupid cunt this man is

Shoeless

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd look at the American President and my own Canadian Prime Minister and think "Yeah, I'm pretty sure we got the better deal."

rjinaz

To be fair alot of people in the other thread were all like 'Why do we even have 755 diplomats in Russia?'
Now all of sudden its a huge deal.

You can wonder why there are 755 diplomats in Russia or even think having that many is wasteful, and still not like the fact that Trump is thanking Russia for kicking out our people.

Now if it was Trump that removed our people because he said it was wasteful and then you have people upset about it now that were saying before it was wasteful to have so many there (basically just because it's Trump doing it) then you'd have a point.

You can wonder why there are 755 diplomats in Russia or even think having that many is wasteful, and still not like the fact that Trump is thanking Russia for kicking out our people.

Now if it was Trump that removed our people because he said it was wasteful and then you have people upset about it now that were saying before it was wasteful to have so many there (basically just because it's Trump doing it) then you'd have a point.

Every thread we get into the same confusion about all the staff beings diplomatic envoys... Russia is a huge country so there are American consulates in St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok in addition to the US Embassy in Moscow.

Each of these consulates need staffers to operate - they are complicated bureaucratic operations that have different departments dealing with portfolios like energy policy (involving multinational oil and gas infrastructure projects), nuclear proliferation (as part of the START treaties), law enforcement cooperation (pretty vital because Russian organized crime is a major player in the US) and the general servicing of US citizens in Russia. These are offices that need catering, facilities, IT, translators, a secretarial pool and archiving. All of this needs to be done by carefully vetted and loyal staffers so you don't have security breaches.

Most of these peoples aren't diplomats as people envision them but they're still needed to keep the proverbial lights on in the consular offices. The American diplomatic operation is large, yes, but it's not excessive or wasteful considering the scope of their activities.

But I guess none of these nuances matter to Trump when a foreign adversary makes a show of force in response to the US calling out Russia's well-documented human rights abuses through sanctions.

rjinaz

Every thread we get into the same confusion about all the staff beings diplomatic envoys... Russia is a huge country so there are American consulates in St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok in addition to the US Embassy in Moscow.

Each of these consulates need staffers to operate - they are complicated bureaucratic operations that have different departments dealing with portfolios like energy policy (involving multinational oil and gas infrastructure projects), nuclear proliferation (as part of the START treaties), law enforcement cooperation (pretty vital because Russian organized crime is a major player in the US) and the general servicing of US citizens in Russia. These are offices that need catering, facilities, IT, translators, a secretarial pool and archiving. All of this needs to be done by carefully vetted and loyal staffers so you don't have security breaches.

Most of these peoples aren't diplomats as people envision them but they're still needed to keep the proverbial lights on in the consular offices. The American diplomatic operation is large, yes, but it's not excessive or wasteful considering the scope of their activities.

But I guess none of these nuances matter to Trump when a foreign adversary makes a show of force in response to the US calling out Russia's well-documented human rights abuses through sanctions.

Totally agree. 755 is a big number, but it's simplistic to just think big means wasteful. But then that's Trump's MO. Drain the swamp, stop wasting money, well waste money but only in a way that benefits me and others that are filthy rich!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
President Donald Trump was being "sarcastic" when he thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for saving the United States money by ordering cuts in U.S. diplomatic staff in Russia, a White House official said on Friday.

Nearly 24 hours after Trump made the remarks, a White House official said he 'was being sarcastic' when he thanked Putin.

Good one, Trump.

Top Bottom