• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to hold rally on night of White House Correspondents Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Most presidents celebrate the press and freedom of the press. Even Bush went to these things knowing they would be brutal, but he could take it, freedom of the press is important.

But Trump hates the press and hates being in a room that isn't worshiping him like Jesus so it does make sense why he'd bail.

He has the thinnest skin. Its tremendous just how thin. So is his spray tan, its bigly.

Non-american here,

why should he go though?

The dinner has been about giving pats on the back to people who don't deserve it for a long time now, so a president on shaky ground could use it to make themselves look humble and butter some talking heads up a bit.

The problem is that Trump is an egomaniac who would endear himself to nobody.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The idea of a president holding rallies outside of a campaign season is legitimately scary.

This is not normal and it should not become normal.

As somebody who is new to actually keeping up with politics/news, what precedent is there in modern times for presidents to continue to host rallies after being elected?

Lincoln's train tour to the inauguration I guess?

Pretty sure there's little or nothing close to semi-regular rallies during a term.

Ac30

Most presidents celebrate the press and freedom of the press. Even Bush went to these things knowing they would be brutal, but he could take it, freedom of the press is important.

But Trump hates the press and hates being in a room that isn't worshiping him like Jesus so it does make sense why he'd bail.

For entertainment everyone should watch Colbert rip Bush a new one at that dinner.

Trump's a total pussy, basically.

Korigama

It's truly pitiful, especially when there have been former presidents who actually had good reasons for declining to attend (i.e., JFK as a result of women having been banned from attending all the way until that crap was dropped in 1962, and Reagan for recovering from getting shot a month prior).

Doesn't even surprise me that the manbaby wants yet another rally to massage his ego instead.

As somebody who is new to actually keeping up with politics/news, what precedent is there in modern times for presidents to continue to host rallies after being elected?
Momentarily putting aside that it's Trump we're talking about here and the reasons he is doing this are pathetic, I am not bothered by the act itself. In fact, I think it's a great way to keep the base engaged, informed and excited. I might not have minded if campaign Obama had stuck around a bit more to fire up the base throughout his terms.

G0523

What a spiteful cunt. Little orange baby can't take a few jokes so he has to make a rally where idiots will praise him and stroke his ego. He hasn't done shit to deserve anything and people still show up to these dumbfuck rallies. I hope he chokes on a KFC thigh on his way there.

He is such an insecure man, it goes without saying. Can't handle the pressures of possibly being jokingly insulted at the correspondent dinner, so instead he holds his own rally to make himself feel better. Great!

Kyrios

...a rally for what?

PGp5p.gif

Basically. No jokes allowed.

rjinaz

Momentarily putting aside that it's Trump we're talking about here and the reasons he is doing this are pathetic, I am not bothered by the act itself. In fact, I think it's a great way to keep the base engaged, informed and excited. I might not have minded if campaign Obama had stuck around a bit more to fire up the base throughout his terms.

I think I agree. I'm not opposed to the principle of them.

But can you imagine of Obama DID do them? My God would the Republicans thrown a hissy fit. Wasting money, stroking his ego, riling up the masses.

I think I agree. I'm not opposed to the principle of them.

But can you imagine of Obama DID do them? My God would the Republicans thrown a hissy fit. Wasting money, stroking his ego, riling up the masses.
I eagerly look forward to having a Democratic President around to unapologetically rile up Republicans. If that lot is upset we're probably doing something right.

Gutek

You've become such a cynic after the Trump win, that you pretty much sound like a Trump supporter anymore. Do you even realize that?

How could you not? Trump's election has been the repudiation of decency. America has proven that it is a fundamentally indecent society that has no problems with sexism, racism, fascism, and authoritarianism, as long as there are enough '"libtard" tears to quench the thirst of bigots.

I can't be the only one that finds these rallies, more than disheartening, but really really chilling as a template for more charismatic people to use and manipulate public opinion with once in office, right?

Regiruler

So on that night we have:

- The Actual White House Correspondent's Dinner, where Woodward and Bernstein will speak, and which will largely focus on journalism
- Sam Bee's alternative thing which will roast Trump
- Trump's latest pep rally, where he'll ramble incoherently and try to travel back in time to pre-election times through sheer force of shit-talking Obama and Clinton

You've got your serious, you've got your funny, and you've got your Trump bullshit. Pretty solid night for events at this point.

Woodward as in author Bob Woodward?

Non-american here,

why should he go though?

The President's the most powerful man in the world. This is a ritual to show he's gracious, has an even temper and can take criticism. The fact that Trump is not going means none of those things are true about him, which is troubling.

How could you not? Trump's election has been the repudiation of decency. America has proven that it is a fundamentally indecent society that has no problems with sexism, racism, fascism, and authoritarianism, as long as there are enough '"ibtard" tears to quench the thirst of bigots.
America proved that well before Trump came along.

matrix99161.jpg

Welcome to the real world?

I'm sure. But I'm sure they will just air the Trump rally, just because of how unhinged it is. Thinking more people will watch. People love drama.

I'm sure the conservative channels will host him, and the other channels will have the Dinner. I'm not super worried about it. Besides, the shit talking will be way hotter when he isn't there.

You know, he's hoping to draw attention from the dinner and he's surely going to comment on ratings if he's moderately successful in doing so. It would be hilarious if Obama was at the dinner in his place, overshadowing his little rally. That would piss him off so much.

How could you not? Trump's election has been the repudiation of decency. America has proven that it is a fundamentally indecent society that has no problems with sexism, racism, fascism, and authoritarianism, as long as there are enough '"libtard" tears to quench the thirst of bigots.

Only about a quarter of it. And then about half is lazy or entitled assholes. But there are a few good eggs.

rjinaz

I mean you're not wrong but I'll never take the stance of "if you can't beat them, join them"

I got to believe that somehow we'll come out of this for the better. So far the special elections have been very uplifting and signs of change brewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom