• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck could they throw away everything? Microsoft is one of only FOUR remaining AAA companies on Earth, Sony was near bankruptcy and MS seems to have totally decided to not show up.

MS is trying to take on Google, Apple, Sony, Netflix and tons of other companies with Xbox One. They've invested in cloud computing, Xbox Studios, Kinect, etc. Their scope is fucking massive. Their hardware has to account for all these goals and ideas. Sometimes things can get out of your control and lose their way a bit in the process.

Angry Fork

They will release it and give 3 year warranty if anything fails. Probably better for MS than delaying until everything is perfect.

flash ban

Banned
Aren't yields improved with more time?

MS have made their case that the One is very different to the PS4, why don't they delay the release to improve yields and launch at a later time with the "all in one entertainment box".

I suspected yield issues when some sources said it was 40nm, and given the large amount of estram.
MS would rather raise the price than lower clocks for yield
Depends, if yields are bad even with a downclock, they might have no choice.

Personally I expect shortages even with a downclock, especially if the 40nm figure is true.
because yields are temporary and solvable.
if they're bad enough to cause a paper launch, they'd effectively give the holiday to sony.
The PS4 won't have the stated raw power either I'd assume..
?

Alchemy

I know that rumors can't be trusted, but its usually a bad sign when none of them are positive. For once I want there to be a rumor that this thing shits out candy and summons unicorns.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, they better bring the games at E3. I played primarily on the 360 this gen because multiplats were better on there. If they're better on the PS4, which it sounds like they will be, Playstation might be my main console again. E3 is going to be insane. Not sure I can justify buying both consoles, both MS and Sony better bring it with the exclusives.

thuway

Before all the XBONE IS DEAD bullshit comes afloat, I've heard developers are understanding and haven't had to compromise too much. Ports of PS4 will look better. However, remember this is still a rumor, and I really didn't want this to turn into a brand new thread until we have some one like cBOAT or Lherre confirming it. It's not something I've pulled from thin air to casually throw around on GAF. There is a reason they didn't mention clock speed at the press event.

eastmen

Banned
neither do i, but this isn't about the UI (i assume that's what you meant).

a drop in clock speed is significant, because it widens the gap between the Xbone and the PS4.

MS wont drop the clock speed. They will just buy more fab time and working on bringing yields up.

You can look at it 2 ways.

Does MS want to take a hit on yields for what could be as little as months or be at a huge power disadvantage for a decade ?

Zukuu

Banned
Serious question, why would MS go with such a complex design instead of just using better RAM like Sony? It seems like In trying to save money they are actually increasing costs and sacrificing yields and performance.

Pricing, wrong R&D, not needed etc

Pricing is most likely the reason. Also, MS thought Sony would have 2GB GDDR5. Even the rumored 4GB still meant they would have double the amount of RAM. Even to insiders and devs, the 8GB came out of nowhere, leaving microsoft in the dust. By late feburary (the ps4 reveeal), it was far too late to change the hardware without delaying the release by a good amount.

With the info that has come out that they started putting this system together about two years ago, why does it seem to me like they've just gotten some inside info on what Sony was doing and created a bastard child mix between a 360 (RAM design) and a PS4?

artist

Banned
Serious question, why would MS go with such a complex design instead of just using better RAM like Sony? It seems like In trying to save money they are actually increasing costs and sacrificing yields and performance.
I posted my thoughts on this couple of weeks or so back;
To add to that; both decided to bet on two different approaches. Sony bet on using a smaller but faster pool of RAM (2-4GB GDDR5) and eat the (higher) RAM cost upfront where as Microsoft decided they would bet on a bigger pool of slower RAM (8GB DDR3) and bet on process nodes to drive the cost of the ESRAM down.

Also keep on mind that the work on both consoles would have started years ago. If the PS4 began taking shape in '07/08 then GDDR5 was just making it's way then. To bet on cutting edge RAM of that time and lots of it (2GB) required taking huge risks. Not saying that Microsoft havent taken risks, they have with a big APU. Unfortunately for Microsoft the process node shrinks have slowed down past 40nm and it doesnt seem like a big cost advantage now.

It's easy to say this all now but personally I dont know which approach I would have picked 5-6 years ago.

thuway

MS wont drop the clock speed. They will just buy more fab time and working on bringing yields up.

Does MS want to take a hit on yields for what could be as little as months or be at a huge power disadvantage for a decade ?

MS would rather take a further reduction in power, lower the resolution to 900p, forgo any dreams of tesselation or expensive effects that make no real difference to the average user- and launch at the same as Sony.

StevieP

Banned

Over a year ago, the ps4 had 2gb of gddr5, then last year it was upped to 4gb on improving ram chip densities. Sony got lucky in that ram chip densities are going up in time and recently committed to 8gb. It was never a guarantee. MS engineers needed that 8gb guarantee for their goals with the console from the start. Hence their solution using ddr3. Edit: mostly beaten above.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Downgrading the GPU performance goes from low end mainstream to horrible territory. I think there's a Haswell chip with Iris that has that performance. An expensive CPU, but a CPU doing > than XboxOne's APU. Wish MS went with standard parts. Heavily customized parts often have yield issues and COGS issues. I don't understand why people keep doing it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So what does this mean for the next Xbone? Can they ship it like this and risk titles being decidedly inferior on their console, or would they delay it to fix the issues?

Delay would be suicide. Leave PS4 on the market for 6+ months by itself with Battlefield 4, COD:Ghosts, Watch Dogs, etc and there would be no coming back for X1.

Takuya

Banned

That depends on their overall product placement strategy.

Globox_82

Banned
My prediction:MS will still win. Gaming journalist from sites like giant bomb, ign, gamespot etc will get xbone and hype it. Hype it's UI or whatever can take attention from these issues.
While Ps4 will be presented as powerful but dull so that is why they choose xbonita.

This is what I was worried about when it was revealed the Xbox One has an external power supply. Obviously it's external to help with heat issues because the box looks big enough to house an internal one.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Could it be another problem à la RROD? I hope not, this will slow manufacturing down, and prevent Big Brother: Gamer Edition.

eastmen

Banned
MS would rather take a further reduction in power, lower the resolution to 900p, forgo any dreams of tesselation or expensive effects that make no real difference to the average user- and launch at the same as Sony.

I doubt it because a difference in power that huge wont blow by the general public.

Aside from that , your assuming yields are bad enough to delay the launch if they stay with the targeted specs.

Sky Chief

Pricing, wrong R&D, not needed etc

Pricing is most likely the reason. Also, MS thought Sony would have 2GB GDDR5. Even the rumored 4GB still meant they would have double the amount of RAM. Even to insiders and devs, the 8GB came out of nowhere, leaving microsoft in the dust. By late feburary (the ps4 reveeal), it was far too late to change the hardware without delaying the release by a good amount.

I posted my thoughts on this couple of weeks or so back;

Over a year ago, the ps4 had 2gb of gddr5, then last year it was upped to 4gb on improving ram chip densities. Sony got lucky in that ram chip densities are going up in time and recently committed to 8gb. It was never a guarantee. MS engineers needed that 8gb guarantee for their goals with the console from the start. Hence their solution using ddr3. Edit: mostly beaten above.

Wow, fascinating stuff. Thanks guys!

Meelow

Banned
My prediction:MS will still win. Gaming journalist from sites like giant bomb, ign, gamespot etc will get xbone and hype it. Hype it's UI or whatever can take attention from these issues.
While Ps4 will be presented as powerful but dull so that is why they choose xbonita.

I actually agree, if this is true it won't matter, Microsoft will still moneyhat and the gaming press will hype up the Xbox One more than both Wii U future and PS4.

Kyon

Banned

no1curr about gaming journalism tho in the public eye. Sales will be the deciding factor of who "wins"

Unless you mean that it will be loved by the public then yes you are right. Don't think there should be doubt

artist

Banned
Downgrading the GPU performance goes from low end mainstream to horrible territory. I think there's a Haswell chip with Iris that has that performance. An expensive CPU, but a CPU doing > than XboxOne's APU.
The Iris Pro has nice performance but a very high cost that puts it out of current console design territory.

Wish MS went with standard parts. Heavily customized parts often have yield issues and COGS issues. I don't understand why people keep doing it.
Because higher customization can also lead to higher savings.

edit: custom libs etc can also lead to issues like tracing a bug in the design.

OzPinoy

Banned
Seriously why are they are not asking their Surface engineering team for help. It the gaming division is that incompetent.

Nope, 3rd party ports being superior on the PS4 mean all sites will be using it as the system for their playthroughs of games. Shortly after launch word will get to casual gamers that the superior versions are on PS4 after the hardcore purchase them and tell their friends.

phunky420

Banned
Anyone even considering getting an Xbone at launch after the whole RRoD fiasco is nuts, MS has proven they are willing to launch a broken console if it means launching asap.

I am not getting one at launch. I am going to wait about a year to make my final decision on what "next gen" console I want. Hopefully by this time there will be bundles and price cuts....

And yes...I had a RROD, but then got a elite with no problems after....but i'm just not taking that chance again

Majanew

Banned
Xbox One is sounding like a disaster. What the hell happened with Microsoft?

It honestly might not matter what games they show... it might be wise to avoid this system. Prove me wrong, MS.

thuway

Seriously why are they are not asking their Surface engineering team for help. It the gaming division is that incompetent.

It's not about competency it's about complexity and design choices. They chose OS, television, and the Windows 8 App platform ahead of pure gaming. Those requiered architectural sacrifices and silicon budget to achieve.

flash ban

Banned
Before all the XBONE IS DEAD bullshit comes afloat, I've heard developers are understanding and haven't had to compromise too much. Ports of PS4 will look better. However, remember this is still a rumor, and I really didn't want this to turn into a brand new thread until we have some one like cBOAT or Lherre confirming it. It's not something I've pulled from thin air to casually throw around on GAF. There is a reason they didn't mention clock speed at the press event.

ok, do you happen to know if it is 40nm or 28nm. Some sources say the former while others the latter.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Because higher customization can also lead to higher savings.

Examples. Because it doesn't look like it here nor did it work for either of the HD twins.

On the other hand, I'm betting PS4's COGS 3 years from now will be super cheap. GDDR5 will be cheap per GB because so many things use it.

Takuya

Banned
It's not about competency it's about complexity and design choices. They chose OS, television, and the Windows 8 App platform ahead of pure gaming. Those requiered architectural sacrifices and silicon budget to achieve.

Yup, it's not that hard to understand really.

ironcreed

Banned
What do you know, more ill news. Bad mojo vibes all around from Microsoft and the new Xbox. All of the other rumors proved to be accurate, so that certainly does not bode well here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They've done it before. Hell, with the original Xbox they revised the announced GPU clock speed twice. (From 300 to 250 to 233.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom