• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

So yields are poor. Check (but any clarity on clocks?).

E3 won't mention any tech (so confirms just games???).

MS rushed the design. (or in this case I also think AMD overpromised. ESRAM at 32 mb is pretty large).

Minions

Its a single APU. If the problem is heat related they might find a voltage reduction as the simplest method and that would reduce performance for all aspects of the APU.

This is what I was going to say. It is not a separate unit in the box. I'm not sure if you can supply less voltage only to one component in the APU....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

Insane. What a total debacle.

i-Lo

truthfact.

Am I dyslexic ? How come other people reading this with ooos and aaahhs?

SRG01

Man, crazy buttocks reminds me of a certain commenter back on SemiAccurate when it still had a commenting system, hah.

Well both the CPU and GPU are on the same APU so downclocking that APU can effect the speed of both parts. Unless they can increase the multiplier of the CPU to counter act it then it could very well mean a lower clocked CPU.

But yeah the title still shouldn't say CPU, but APU instead.

OP updated. Also, holy crap.

GPU? APU? GPU/CPU? I don't know which. A lot of conflicting suggestions. Those who understand it better will have to hash it out. I don't know what the most appropriate term would should be.

4lejandro

I love this thread and all the MS fanboys that are trying to spin this and the negative attention to Sony ("well, Sony shouldn't be doing any better, in that case...").

Also I love all the tech stuff (yields, bill of materials, embedded system ram, etc), mostly the jargon and stuff, things like these are why I love reading educational GAF!

Still, shouldn't matter much as I'm dead set on getting a PS4, but it should get more interesting come E3.

truthfact.

OH BOY!

I think I never see so much negativity around a console before is launch. But to be realistic this dosn't mean anything about the success of the console.

truthfact.

crazy buttocks on a train
quite possibly the greatest user to grace the Internet

Fixed

andycapps

I don't come to gaming side much, but that post from CBOAT above.. Is that normal? Holy shit if all this (plus the post-E3 roundtable being cancelled) is true.

onQ123

truthfact.

Oh Shit!

truthfact.

Oh shit! CBOAT has spoken! Shit just got real.

So he says, so it's shill be.

Well that is most of the insiders here on Gaf backing this up with crazy posting .
I was ready to believe when GopherD talk now there is no doubt left in my mind .

fallingdove

Wow. The Xbone reveal definitely felt rushed due to the PS4 presser but Sweet Tea Jesus, if this is true, MS have some trouble on their hands.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Buttocks has spoken.

Seriously though man, are you alright? Genuinely concerned here.

I don't recall his earlier posts being dyslexic, so instead if stroke I will go with him making other media searching and referring to his confirmation in blogs less of a risk, he probably does not need that attention. Kind of like the zebra pattern of leak posts.

Vesper73

PC / PS4 this gen for sure. I don't want a single thing that the Xbone provides over these two platforms.

Microsoft is losing it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well the teardowns will be interesting. They can figure out things like clockspeed from that nowadays, right?

Can't believe we're having to rely on that for a MS machine, but here we are...

truthfact.

Would love to hear (and decipher) more. Any comments on the downclocking?

BigDug13

How were they caught out by Sony when they had six years to plan?

Because Sony was singular in purpose for those 6 years, to make the best gaming machine for the next generation with the best relationships with game developers by creating the easiest hardware to squeeze power from.

Microsoft was not.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No matter what happens, this system will not be delayed.

If Sony gets a system out in 2013 and MS doesn't, then MS should just cancel the One and not even bother.

thuway

truthfact.

Wanna go out some time?

Sky Chief

truthfact.

Bwahahahahahahahahah, what a fantastic word!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How would a downclocked CPU compare to how it is now, and to PS4?

Would be fairly similar, likely

X1 CPU would have had better performance on DDR3, and then there's the shape stuff...

But then again we aren't 100% sure what both systems are handling on dedicated hardware

If all audio in PS4 is being handled by a dedicated chip, or if OS functions are offloaded, or whatever

Little difficult to see the perf difference with info we know and not know

If this is CPU, then it's not so bad... If its GPU, then... Fuck

Considering the sizable freq decrease it would lead me to believe its probably the CPU because I don't normally see GPU drops this large... if it is, it frees up more bandwidth to the GPU, which is nice

Talamius

truthfact.

Wow. So Sony really did catch Microsoft asleep at the wheel. Heads should roll at Microsoft over this.

Mindwipe

What gamers often misunderstand is the fact that consoles aren't made with cutting edge tech but with an affordable price point in mind. It's all about compromises and tough choices for both engineers and CEOs. Sometimes they do a good job and are lucky with the outcome, sometimes things don't turn out as expected and they get louder, hotter, bigger, more complicated, pricier or all at once.

All three companies made some hardware bets, and this time it looks like MS has drawn the loser. It happens.

This doesn't seem like a very good bet though.

The odds that this process was going to work well seem, from doing a bit of reading but by no means as an expert on fabrication, against Microsoft.

Interfectum

truthfact.

But but Major Nelson laughed that Sony didn't show off the PS4 hardware.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone give me a post history of CBOAT? What are his connections to the gaming industry? Ex MS worker? Phil Harrison in disguise?

Well both the CPU and GPU are on the same APU so downclocking that APU can effect the speed of both parts. GPU part is supposed to run at 800Mhz and the CPU runs at a 2x multiplier (1.6Ghz). Down clocking the APU to 600Mhz would in turn drop the CPU to 1.2Ghz, or down clocking to 700Mhz would give you a 1.4Ghz CPU speed. There is the option of changing the CPU's multiplier, but I don't see a multiplier that could counter act the frequency reduction without effectively overclocking the CPU past its intended 1.6Ghz.

But yeah the title still shouldn't say CPU, but APU instead.

No, they have separate cocks that can be modified at wish. Heck, they have separate power saving frequencies [CPU will not always work @ full speed, GPU also].

Would love to hear (and decipher) more. Any comments on the downclocking?

That is the real question, and honestly I don't think anyone at MSFT has this answer either.

If there are yield issues, they are going to analyze it and make a decision. It really matters on the % of ESRAM failures.

Also, down clocking the ESRAM would only effect the GPU I believe, since they are interconnected. CPU multiplier should be unaffected (or we better hope so or the Jaguar APU in both consoles might be a sucky part!).

Freki

truthfact.

Holy Fuck...

Proxy

truthfact.

Hey guys, remember when people proposed MS was scrambling? Turns out they were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom