• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
A site that conveniently showed up with this news right around the time it showed up in the thread. I mean, maybe I'm just naturally skeptical, but anybody on this forum could have seen the thread and then put up something like that. I sometimes ask myself how in the world people manage to find these obscure sites from out of nowhere right when some new development emerges.
Right ..

The same site was right about DriveClub before anybody else. Can you provide atleast something similar? No, which is why you are taking the ban bet ..

I'm talking about Senjutsu who is also involved in this ban bet of some sort. Both are contradicting each other.
We have yet to see anything credible from this guy.

Wouldn't first-party games kicking the shit out of multiplatform titles even more be something worth rejoicing over?

I don't see why. The majority of games are multiplatform. Why would you rejoice over the crippling of the majority of games just because it makes first-party games look better?

CLEEK

Can you imagine just how much action Cerny gets at the Sony HQ each time new negative Xbone stories appear? I bet he's even bored of BJs by now, such are their frequency.

eastmen

Banned
I see it it going the opposite. Sony's simpler die design should get cheaper faster and GDDR5 has more room to go down. DDR3 can't get much cheaper without being free.

both will reduce in die size at the same rate. The one has its major cost factor as the apu. the 4 has its major cost factor as the gddr5 .

Sony has the problem of having gone with brand new density's for the ram. They aren't being made in the same quanities as other gddr5. Then comes the issue that as it ramps more and more graphics cards will use it too.

THe xbox one is using ram built for a declining pc market which means they get to buy up the over stock.

Just look at how small the chips in the xbox 360 and the ps3 have become.

FyRkCy0.jpg

If these rumours are true.

goomba

Banned
having inferior multiplats would be pretty disastrous for the xbox brand. The 360 is the de facto console for most multiplatform games especially for the US. And even when the games are pretty much the same on both consoles there is still a widely accepted notion that the 360 version is always better. Anything could happen though.

it wasnt supposed to be like that though. ps3 came a year later and was supposed to be much more powerful and make 360 the xbox 1.5.

so we just have to wait and see

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Okay? 2600k and 2700k are the exact same chip. One has higher clock speeds.

It happens all the time.

Trivial amounts. Not like you're describing. Back in the day Intel would bin Extreme Editions all the way down to Pentium and then Celeron. You could get an extreme edition CPU that was sold as a celeron and run it at twice the clock frequency. Same chip. 3.4 versus 3.5...doesn't matter. Marketing.

My original response to you was that this doesn't happen anymore with Intel because they have no competition. If they had competition they would sell CPUs at stock frequencies at 4.5 GHz and ones that fail that would be sold at 4.2 GHz, etc.

PC version is always the demo version so nothing changes there. I'm just expecting developers to target the lowest common denominator or try to find some middle ground. If the Xbox One is 800-900 Gflops, that's damn near a full TF difference. I just don't see developers not building more towards X1 than PS4.
If the assets are there, then there is no excuse to not provide a superior version on superior hardware. It's easier to down grade to inferior hardware as long as development is equal.

Zok310

Banned
Another batch of inferiority rumors that will most likely turn out to be true, just like the inferior spec rumors that turned out to be true.

Damn, MS took the worst of what happned to Sony with the PS3 and decided they could do a worse job than Sony did and do it better. The only thing missing now is "$599".

This box gets worse by the day.
SMH.

All I know is that when it comes to hardware development, not everyone will know everything. Not everyone will know what's been fixed and what's not. Regardless, I believe thuway, Matt and Proelite are credible, as much I've read their posts.

E3 is going to be wonderful!

vpance

PC version is always the demo version so nothing changes there. I'm just expecting developers to target the lowest common denominator or try to find some middle ground. If the Xbox One is 800-900 Gflops, that's damn near a full TF difference. I just don't see developers not building more towards X1 than PS4.

They wont do that to themselves. They still need to sell the games to the masses. Hamstringing their games to 800 gflops on all platforms wont look so great in comparison to this gen.

I think if MS doesn't have playable Xbox One units at E3, then we have a reason to worry. If they are using PCs this late, then they might be downclocking and don't want E3 demos to be hit by it.

clav

E3 has always been the earliest prices have been revealed. I still think they will wait until July/August to give a price. Trying to see who blinks first

If there's a production chip problem, that's going to affect input cost. Microsoft is calculating what price they can set (i.e. contracting different manufacturers) and see who can earn the best production yield.

prwxv3

it wasnt supposed to be like that though. ps3 came a year later and was supposed to be much more powerful and make 360 the xbox 1.5.

so we just have to wait and see

Things are much different this time though. The PS3 had a overly complex architecture especially compared to the 360. So while the PS3 is more powerful the ease of development gave the edge to the 360. The PS4 is said to be easier to develop for then the Xbone and more powerful to boot. But anything can happen.

Sandfox

Its not like building a game to take advantage of the PS4 would make it unplayable on the Xbox One.

I think if MS doesn't have playable Xbox One units at E3, then we have a reason to worry. If they are using PCs this late, then they might be downclocking and don't want E3 demos to be hit by it.

It just occurred to me that this is actually possible. They will probably have playable games but they will run running off dev kits or something equivalent.

Takuya

Banned
A site that conveniently showed up with this news right around the time it showed up in the thread. I mean, maybe I'm just naturally skeptical, but anybody on this forum could have seen the thread and then put up something like that. I sometimes ask myself how in the world people manage to find these obscure sites from out of nowhere right when some new development emerges.

Well, I mean, no point in being sceptical if you are indeed super confident in your source.

amayo15

Banned
Should add "800-900 flops" to the title.

Should add "3x the performance of Wii U" to the title. This works both ways.

In all seriousness: There's surely an advantage to Microsoft's strategy with this hardware - they know what they're doing, they don't just screw things up. It's got to be cheaper, otherwise how are they including a Kinect in every box for (likely) the same price as the PS4?

The new Kinect contains it's own custom processor - unlike the original (was removed in the months leading up to launch and proccessing of Kinect 1.0 was moved to the 360 console itself)...this processor is pretty important apparently.

flash ban

Banned
I don't see why. The majority of games are multiplatform. Why would you rejoice over the crippling of the majority of games just because it makes first-party games look better?

it might also lead to exclusive third parties. IF their vision can't be met with lower specs.

Well this should solve the problem
xboxwatercooler.gif
is that water boiling?

Someone should change that to xbox one is the next water heater.

Seriously though If this turns out to be true ill be waiting a while until I purchase one. 4 RRoD's in the first 18 months with the 360 already has me sceptical of anything MS puts out.

clav

Didn't realize how crazy some of you people are here in the gaming section.

*tip toes back to Off-Topic*

Multiplatform games won't be crippled, either the baseline will just be lower if the xbone ends up getting downgraded or you will see more things getting cut in multiplatform games on the xbone, your great looking games will still look great on the PS4 (although first-party games will likely have a bigger performance advantage), shitty-looking crap will still happen regardless of where the baseline is.

Should add "3x the performance of Wii U" to the title. This works both ways.

In all seriousness: There's surely an advantage to Microsoft's strategy with this hardware - they know what they're doing, they don't just screw things up. £`12It's got to be cheaper, otherwise how are they including a Kinect in every box for (likely) the same price as the PS4?

The new Kinect contains it's own custom processor - unlike the original (was removed in the months leading up to launch and proccessing of Kinect 1.0 was moved to the 360 console itself)...this processor is pretty important apparently.
Zune, Surface, Windows Vista/8

kortez320

Trivial amounts. Not like you're describing. Back in the day Intel would bin Extreme Editions all the way down to Pentium and then Celeron. You could get an extreme edition CPU that was sold as a celeron and run it at twice the clock frequency. Same chip. 3.4 versus 3.5...doesn't matter. Marketing.

My original response to you was that this doesn't happen anymore with Intel because they have no competition. If they had competition they would sell CPUs at stock frequencies at 4.5 GHz and ones that fail that would be sold at 4.2 GHz, etc.

I'm not really sure what your point is you seem to agree but disagree. Haha we're getting off topic though so it's whatever really. My point was just addressing those that found the situation hard to believe.

Okay I just caught your second part. Sure. I didn't realize that was what you were getting at.

Sony fans rejoicing in this are doing so at their own peril. A less powerful Xbox One potentially means less powerful PS4 games for developers who start on the lowest common denominator and port up.
tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

I've always wanted an Original Xbox. You know, a system that has 100% of multiplatforms better and some games that uses its enormous potential. With an architecture as standard as the one of the PS4 shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned about the heat a 2TF system can produce.

amayo15

Banned

They used Mac Pros at E3 2005. I realize the RROD happened though...so maybe it was a bad sign. I don't think Sony had real PS3s at E3 2006...and the PS3 turned out okay.

Well, I mean, no point in being sceptical if you are indeed super confident in your source.

Oh, I am, which is why I went so far as to throw myself to the wolves. I'm a good sport about these things. If what I was told is inaccurate, I'll accept the consequences. Simple as that.

I'm not skeptical about whether or not that site is right or not. I feel pretty strongly that they are wrong. I'm skeptical about some random site just, out of nowhere, conveniently reporting this right around the same time that it's being mentioned in a GAF thread. I mean, that doesn't make anybody else suspicious as to whether that site really heard something, or whether they're just parroting what they saw on GAF, as other sites have been known to do sometimes inaccurately?

eastmen

Banned
Zune, Surface, Windows Vista/8

100m copies of an os in 6 months is bad ? I'm sure Apple would love to sell that amount of macs in 6 months.

Anyway you act like sony hasn't had its fair share of mishaps which is basicly the majority of their products in the last decade.

i-Lo

Oh, I am, which is why I went so far as to throw myself to the wolves. I'm a good sport about these things. If what I was told is inaccurate, I'll accept the consequences. Simple as that.

I'm not skeptical about whether or not that site is right or not. I feel pretty strongly that they are wrong. I'm skeptical about some random site just, out of nowhere, conveniently reporting this right around the same time that it's being mentioned in a GAF thread. I mean, that doesn't make anybody else suspicious as to whether that site really heard something, or whether they're just parroting what they saw no GAF, as other sites have been known to do sometimes inaccurately?

The drama ....

gfunkera

Banned
I'm betting this is just rumor. It's logical, but nothing substantial as of yet. If this truly is an issue, more sites will pick up on this and dig hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom